• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2015 [Up2: Nintendo Numbers]

Damn, NBA did fucking well... wow.

2KBoshVideoBomb.gif

Serenity

I see absolutely no way you can make this claim.

I agree that digital sals are a big chunk of the loss, but what evidence do you have for your statement?

Probably because we know that last year Destiny 1.0 sold a couple million copies at launch and that this year more people played Taken King day one than played Destiny 1.0 day one. Those sales either came by way of digital or a lot of people pirated the game. Other option is that everything above TKK sold a couple million copies in retail this month but since you are arguing against strong retail sales I doubt you would believe that so that leaves a ton of digital sales for TKK.

I know this is a question that will be very difficult to answer, but what exactly is the reason for this? Is racing or car culture just not as popular in the states, or something else?

I could be crazy but "car culture" in general seems to have nosedived in the states. Seems to be less enthusiasts but could be off on that

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Both PS4 and XB1 sold roughly ~550k combined which is less than the 822k from last year September.

...OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D: D: D:

curb

Banned
At this point (of install bases), shouldn't the PS4 and Xbox1 versions of Disney and similar games outsell the Wii U version?

not praising the wii u or anything (lol), it was just the only surprising thing to me on the charts so far.

As Bear Force One pointed out, the Saga Bundle likely isn't counted in that sku so it's possible that PS4 could have sold better overall than the Wii U version. Given the marketing deal, it seems plausible to me.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Forza 6 failed to chart? Here come the Monday-morning quarterbacks insisting MS has saturated the market and killed the franchise...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, what the hell? There's no sales love for Motorsport or Horizon on the Xbox?

Forza Horizon 2 did 120k in its debut month.

That probably wouldn't make the top 10.

Driveclub did 46K in its NPD debut month.

These types of games aren't huge sellers here.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well it's pretty obvious that both go together considering the placement in retail.

Right.

Probably because we know that last year Destiny 1.0 sold a couple million copies at launch and that this year more people played Taken King day one than played Destiny 1.0 day one. Those sales either came by way of digital or a lot of people pirated the game. Other option is that everything above TKK sold a couple million copies in retail this month but since you are arguing against strong retail sales I doubt you would believe that so that leaves a ton of digital sales for TKK.

That's all I was looking for--facts like that.

The sarcastic remarks aren't needed, by the way--I'm not argung against strong retail sales. The numbers themselves do that.

Ondore

I really hope Nintendo is backing dunptrucks stuffed with cash up to Take 2 and EA HQ just to get the sports games back, based on this month.

Hoping to sample pies for Dancing All Night, Until Dawn and Happy Home Designer as well.

GHG

Forza 6 didn't chart? I thought it had a fairly strong marketing campaign. Do we know where it came in the top 20?

I'll be depressed if it doesn't do well. I really don't want the racing genre to go dwindle away. They seem to do really well in Europe, but not so much in the US.

Don't worry, the genre won't die just because sales are weak in the US.

Worst comes to worst, the SIM racing genre will still have a strong presence on the PC like it always has.

Boke1879

Both PS4 and XB1 sold roughly ~550k combined which is less than the 822k from last year September.

...OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D: D: D:

Is that shocking? PS4 picked up a lot of the slack last september with the Destiny Bundle at 527k. It was never going to replicate that. Lets look at things within context.

2k16 is definitely one of the better entries in the franchise. Good on them. I wonder if the early release in any way helped spur these sales?

I think it is very deserving. Best NBA2k game in the past 2 years. MyCourt 3 on 3 is just crack. I play it with 2 of my buddies, we get our asses kicked all the time, and have the best time doing it. It plays really well for me online as well, granted I play a lot with people in my own state.

vongruetz

Banned
Really surprised by the Disney Infinity console sku numbers. The game was pushed heavily for the PS4 and yet XB1 still outdid it. Very interesting.

Of course the XB1 didn't do itself any favors at the NYCC panel when the controller died in the middle of a demo. Oh well.

I like to think if I had an Xbox One, Forza would have charted. That one extra sale would have pushed them over the edge. Anyway it's really weird to me that the market in general is not more interested in racing games.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Also, Forza 6 a pretty iterative sequel to Forza 5.

Great for fans of the series, but offering no real innovation or gamechangers.

nib95

Banned
Side note, I really feel like these consoles need to be $299, not $350. They're not yet in compulsive mass market purchase territory.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I changed the OP to reflect that both consoles are down.

So, rereading the Microsoft statement, is it FIFA that's up year over year on console sales?

HardRojo

Lol at Microsoft with that deceiving PR statement when consoles (the actual hardware) sales are actually down YoY. Destiny is definitely a monster and I can't wait to see how next month turns out.

Top Bottom