• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX officially has the least time between reveal and release of any Nintendo platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fuck, I'm getting antsy. I need a new rumor from Emily Rogers or something to tide me over.

I believe she said she was done posting on this until the reveal.

killroy87

I believe she said she was done posting on this until the reveal.
Bah! Even she is getting sick of waiting haha.

For me to say that this is as curious as I've ever been about an upcoming reveal is probably a lie. But still...it's damn close.

Kouriozan

Yves might as well reveal the NX himself lol. He's said more than Nintendo has said in a year and a half.
Well it wasn't hard to do, Nintendo only said "New dedicated gaming device codenamed NX", "Release March 2017" and "We will not talk about NX in this presentation/Direct/Investor meeting" so far :p

Well it wasn't hard to do, Nintendo only said "New dedicated gaming device codenamed NX", "Release March 2017" and "We will not talk about NX in this presentation/Direct/Investor meeting" so far :p
Hehe.

But seriously though I feel like Yves is saying nicer things about NX compared to Wii U and he even says Nintendo learned from Wii U.

You just want an Yves Amiibo.
Might be cuter than the Yarn Yoshi one.
Will it speak in a French accent though?

ggx2ac

Ubisoft has been quiet open about Nintendo’s forthcoming NX platform in recent days. IGN caught up with Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot at a company event yesterday to quiz him about the Nintendo NX and see what he thought of the platform. He says the thing to take away is that Nintendo has learnt plenty of lessons from the Wii U and the Nintendo NX is a platform that should appeal to everyone.

“I think, once again, the interface is very attractive. It’s a machine that will be easy to use for all gamers. They have built in something that will give us chance to really have a different experience from what exists today. That’s what I like – that they come with something new that is adapted to what we actually want now.”

“It’s difficult to answer that [before NX is revealed]. What we see is that Nintendo has learned from the Wii U. All publishers learn from what they do, and then come with something new and more attractive, which I think is the case here.”

Remember Iwata's comment?

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=216000454

Iwata said:
Your question also included the "current notion of thinking about home consoles and handheld devices." When it comes to how dedicated game systems are being played, the situations have become rather different, especially between Japan and overseas. Since we are always thinking about how to create a new platform that will be accepted by as many people around the world as possible, we would like to offer to them "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept" by taking into consideration various factors, including the playing environments that differ by country. This is all that I can confirm today.

. Stock would have taken a hit if Nintendo outright said "this thing is holiday 2017."

Between Pokemon Go and Super Mario Run, I don't even think the NX is even a factor in the stocks anymore. The stock market and investors have what they want (Nintendo franchises on mobile), and anything else is just gravy.

They could delay it to November 2017 and not take a hit now.

I don't understand the point of this thread. It confused me and made me think it was officially announced today. Let them give the console a damn name atleast before we start more speculation.

Red Devil

To be fair seeing people get so worked up over the NX, for example on this thread people damning OP for the use of the word "official", is very funny.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160922PD207.html

Foxconn has undertaken trial production of the NX, a new Nintendo games console, according to industry sources.

Foxconn is the largest OEM for Nintendo NX, followed by Japan-based Misumi Electronics and Hosiden, the sources noted. Annual production of Nintendo NX is estimated at 9.5-10 million units, the sources said.

So you might want to double think those delay posts.

Clessidor

I don't know. Considering Digitmes past NX reports I doubt we can call them a reliable source. Even though it's very likely that NX production has started.

It's evolution of communication and the market place. Nowadays, there is no problem is announcing and releasing a system within 3 months. Mass media and communication will be effective in marketing the new device. They need to make sure they can cover a global or semi-global release- which is also not difficult today.

it's just a sign of changing times. Same goes for game announcements and other products.

Jackano

This is thread worthy BTW.

I was doubtful about this but for the same reason I was, I'm now wondering what the hell they are thinking.
I think they are taking a risk and it is even a bit dumb to trial (and potentially starts) production before the device is shown and tested in a public event.
IMO they should collect user data in such an event, and maybe apply changes before submitting the final design to the manufacturer.

Remember the gamepad had circle pads and no sticks, and remember they havn't seen the 3DS screen marks. So this is usefull.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So basically we've now gone from "Maybe next week" to "Maybe tomorrow". I'll pray for you, Hype-GAF

TunaLover

This is thread worthy BTW.

I was doubtful about this but for the same reason I was, I'm now wondering what the hell they are thinking.
I think they are taking a risk and it is even a bit dumb to trial (and potentially starts) production before the device is shown and tested in a public event.
IMO they should collect user data in such an event, and maybe apply changes before submitting the final design to the manufacturer.

Remember the gamepad had circle pads and no sticks, and remember they havn't seen the 3DS screen marks. So this is usefull.
Nintendo rarely has considered input from its fans or consumers tbh lol

Nanashrew

Banned
If Foxconn has begun production of the NX, how come we haven't gotten any leaks from them?

There's still time between now and October.

It's the early testing and trial period and that will last a good while. Then full production starts in the last 3-4 months before release.

EDIT: To clarify, for the NX to be out in March, testing needs to start now 6 months before release. It could last about 2 or 3 months, then full production kicks in in the remaining 3 or 4 months.

If Foxconn has begun production of the NX, how come we haven't gotten any leaks from them?

On one hand, this is an early production, so that Foxconn worker may not be involved. On the other hand, that worker posted those PS4 drawings on Chinese gaming forum a9vg, which is a notorious place full of hostile Sony fanboys (way more hostile than those in western forums, the place is so notorious that Chinese Nintendo fans are always avoiding that place). He may not even want to post info about a Nintendo console because people just don't care about it.

Do you know if previous consoles were launched worldwide? I cant remember if NA and Japan were first and then the rest of the world.
Very few have been released in a small worldwide window. We've seen plenty of cases of Japan, then months later NA, then months later Europe. A few where Japan and NA got it about the same time, and Europe months later. A few cases where NA/Europe got it about the same time and Japan some months later (unsurprisingly the Xboxes, surprisingly the PS4).

I might be missing something, but I think 3DS is the closest to a worldwide launch? The launches for the three major territories spanned just over a month.
Serenityinaz12 said:
Do you guys think the NX is going to be the Steve Urkel in power compared to the Scorpio and PS4 Pro?
You didn't finish your analogy so it's hard to say.
NX:Scorpio :: Urkel:?

Hell, I am thinking about this way too hard, but the most impressive people on that show were scientific variations of Urkel, which I think makes him the original PS4????
thelastcrusader said:
I don't understand the point of this thread. It confused me and made me think it was officially announced today. Let them give the console a damn name atleast before we start more speculation.
We know what today is. We know when they claimed it will launch. Those are facts, not speculation. The launch time may change, but it is still the current fact.

Well I did have a dream about NX last night so I'll give my launchday impressions.
Zelda sadly wasn't a launch title. I guess all those people saying it was delayed for NX were wrong LMAO.
Smash 5 WAS at launch however 12 new characters are at launch with more on the way. OMFG so awesome!
The new Animal Crossing wasn't really anything new. I am glad they switched to cel shaded graphics and fixed blathers tho.
Splatoon 2 looks good! I'm glad they started again with so few maps since I loved always having something new to play. The upcoming Team Death Match mode looks hype as hell!
Also can't believe Retro game did make launch! The new Pandora's Tower looks epic.
Super Roaslina Galaxy is the true launch star! 120 new levels to collect! And theres still a new Mario game! So glad they brought the galaxy series back with Rosalina, the new tagteam witn lumas lpreally change things up! Bummer that the new Mario is Super Mario 3D Land 3 but I guess thats the price we pay for the superior Rosalina game.
The price is $200.00! $50 then I was expecting AND they finally got rid of the .99!
I really did have a NX dream but it was only the reveal Direct, with Zelda running on it and a new Smash with new characters. No other games revealed and no price.:/

New thread worthy. Thank you for sharing your launch* day impressions**.

*Console has not launched
**Impressions are fabricated

Direct-Feed Games (i think that is our NateDrake, who gave us the Pascal (Custom Tegra) rumor for NX) answered questions about NX to his Twitter followers on his youtube channel. Thanks for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0R6aKJpv0A

As i understand he says that NX is probably going to be 3-4 times stronger than Wii U ( 3-4x Wii U gigaflops).

Wonder if this is his opinion or knowledge. As he says he has sources on a custom Tegra with Pascal in NX.

Wii U has 180gflops (estimated), so for a handheld/hybrid 540-720gflops would be really strong, i think and Nintendo games would probably shine on it. Pascal is much more efficient than older AMD GPU hardware, plus you probably would have a boost in certain situations cause of fp16, doubling the performance in some cases. For a handheld it would be very, very strong.

He also thinks ports of PS4 and Xbox1 games would be possible, if the publishers see a market/money. OsirisBlack said similiar things.

3-4 times WiiU gigaflops, could this be done without active cooling?

For what it's worth, i found this "Q&A" interesting, there are also other questions answered.

How strong is 3-4 times Wii U compare to X1 and PS4?

Also, thanks for telling us you posted the video NateDrake! *shakes fist*

I'll watch it later.

I'll watch it later.

About half a Xbox One on paper, but pascal is more efficient and tegra gets a "boost" in fp16, doubling performance in some instances. So it would perhaps be nearer to the xbox1 than the specs would tell you on paper. That would be Emilys Apples and Oranges comparison. But we don't know bandwidth, Ram or other things.

But keep in mind we are talking about a console that is a handheld too (if the rumours are correct). For that it would be more than i expected.

I'm laughing at the poor souls who think this is going to be released in March. They're not going to leave themselves with less than 6 months. This is likely going to be bumped up to later 2017.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I'll watch it later.

If you're just doing a TFLOP comparison, Xbox One is 1.31, Xbox One S is 1.4, and PS4 is 1.84. Wii U is 176 GFLOPS, so 3-4 times that, if taking ND's estimate literally, is 528-704 GFLOPS. But Xbox One and PS4 use AMD chips while NX seems to be using Nvidia and I'm not sure how their efficiencies compare in consoles or what Pascal architecture would offer developers over GCN 1.1.

I think we won't know anything until we see a port that was given proper time and attention happen.

And Zelda right along with it. Its what I'm fearing.

If I recall, didn't Twilight Princess have separate release dates? November 2006 for the Wii port, and December for the Gamecube version. No reason to think that they couldn't do the same (except maybe reversed considering that development did start on the Wii U before being bumped to NX).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom