• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX officially has the least time between reveal and release of any Nintendo platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm laughing at the poor souls who think this is going to be released in March. They're not going to leave themselves with less than 6 months. This is likely going to be bumped up to later 2017.

I can live with a bump to May-June but bumping it to holiday 2017 would be insanity.

I'm hoping for the best but bracing myself for the worst.

The one thing that's in the air is if Zelda really will be a launch game. The fact that they haven't specified it has me feeling they're hedging their bets so that if it needs more time by March, it isn't technically another delay. They could probably live with launching the system without it if the other games are strong enough.

idwl

I got an adrenaline rush seeing NX officially at the top of the page... then the usual disappointment

witness

I'm laughing at the poor souls who think this is going to be released in March. They're not going to leave themselves with less than 6 months. This is likely going to be bumped up to later 2017.

I think at this point it's pretty obvious that this will be Holiday 2017. I would be more shocked if this actually released in March than if it released at the end of the year.

Ashby

If I recall, didn't Twilight Princess have separate release dates? November 2006 for the Wii port, and December for the Gamecube version. No reason to think that they couldn't do the same (except maybe reversed considering that development did start on the Wii U before being bumped to NX).

There is no chance they would put out the Wii U version before the NX one.

I can live with a bump to May-June but bumping it to holiday 2017 would be insanity.

I'm hoping for the best but bracing myself for the worst.

The one thing that's in the air is if Zelda really will be a launch game. The fact that they haven't specified it has me feeling they're hedging their bets so that if it needs more time by March, it isn't technically another delay. They could probably live with launching the system without it if the other games are strong enough.

While it would be insanity, it really depends on how much they plan to produce and ship out. Holiday 2017 could (huge emphasis on could) work if they manage to find a way to create hype through reveal and sustain momentum. And being holiday means potential big sales. In fact, one of the reasons why I think they're taking their time is because they want to make sure that they have a great library. The biggest killer for the Wii U - early 3DS gen was lack of killer software, a lesson learned the hard way.

If it means dragging Zelda down, better that than releasing hardware with few games.

There is no chance they would put out the Wii U version before the NX one.

Yeah that was idiotic of me to suggest that. They'd be killing the new machine's momentum.

There's no way it's delayed to Holiday 2017. Nintendo has absolutely nothing to carry them that far. Wii U has no games left after Paper Mario. 3DS is getting ports and small titles.

I hope they announce the date this week, but I feel like it won't be until next week.

Kevin

Yeah Nintendo has really left it's fans in the dark. I really hope we hear something soon. Feels like it's been a long time since we've had anything exciting to talk about as far as Nintendo is concerned.

There's no way it's delayed to Holiday 2017. Nintendo has absolutely nothing to carry them that far. Wii U has no games left after Paper Mario. 3DS is getting ports and small titles.

I hope they announce the date this week, but I feel like it won't be until next week.

The only way NX isn't launching in March is if an unforeseen, catastrophic scenario has occurred since the end of July, when Nintendo reconfirmed the early 2017 launch.

I don't understand why people think it's delayed because they have not revealed yet. I can see them revealing in January and still releasing in March. If they have learned a lot from the WiiU, the NX is nice piece of hardware and it releases with Zelda, they will sell out of initial stock regardless. Plus they can advertise through Super Mario Run to reach a larger audience.

While it would be insanity, it really depends on how much they plan to produce and ship out. Holiday 2017 could (huge emphasis on could) work if they manage to find a way to create hype through reveal and sustain momentum. And being holiday means potential big sales. In fact, one of the reasons why I think they're taking their time is because they want to make sure that they have a great library. The biggest killer for the Wii U - early 3DS gen was lack of killer software, a lesson learned the hard way.

If it means dragging Zelda down, better that than releasing hardware with few games.

Yeah that was idiotic of me to suggest that. They'd be killing the new machine's momentum.

Yeah, I mean, the idea of a Holiday release would be ideal, but the Wii U is pretty much guaranteed to be a total non-presence through 2017, so the leadup to that given the current circumstances would not be fun at all from a mindshare point of view. I guess there's mobile games but I feel like investors will be miffed if Nintendo has to go another 7 months until the real money starts to come in, after what will already have been almost 2 years of treading water.

I think they're trying to avoid the image of Zelda being held back solely due to the NX which is why they're reluctant to 100% tie them together. As far as software goes, at this point I'm sure there's at least enough for a good launch. While I'm starting to get antsy myself, I can't see the NX being delayed that far. Worst-case scenario, they just launch in March without Zelda. If, say, they can otherwise have a Retro game, enhanced Smash 4 and/or Mario Maker port, and Splatoon 2 in the launch window for example, that'd be a pretty good launch to me.

I don't understand why people think it's delayed because they have not revealed yet. I can see them revealing in January and still releasing in March. If they have learned a lot from the WiiU, the NX is nice piece of hardware and it releases with Zelda, they will sell out of initial stock regardless. Plus they can advertise through Super Mario Run to reach a larger audience.

A January reveal and a March release probably could be done without hurting sales too much, but at that point they're practically asking for tons of leaks in advance. No way they can keep the lid on it for much longer, considering how ravenous people are for this thing.

My personal estimation is that they'll announce a reveal any day now.

I've been telling myself that since mid-September.

FZZ

Banned

For me it's just gone past the point of whether it's been delayed or not and back to the point where the company is refusing to talk about anything pertaining to it is fucking infuriating

The lack of communication between the company and its fans is horrible

But nah we will wait for Paper Mario Color Splash like good little children and buy it on release no problem

Seriously there are so few things to look forward to, as a Wii U and 3DS owner I am baffled by how they're dealing with all of this. And yes Iwata would have spoken up on the console by now, I don't know what the fuck Kimishima is doing.

Literally only excited for this machine because of Breath of the Wild, that E3 demo was so good :(

Tregard

Soothsayer
I got an adrenaline rush seeing NX officially at the top of the page... then the usual disappointment

I get by day-to-day knowing that eventually I will wake up and there will be a reveal date for the NX.

Some day.

Some day...

For me it's just gone past the point of whether it's been delayed or not and back to the point where the company is refusing to talk about anything pertaining to it is fucking infuriating

But nah we will wait for Paper Mario Color Splash like good little children and buy it on release no problem

Seriously there are so few things to look forward to, as a Wii U and 3DS owner I am baffled by how they're dealing with all of this. And yes Iwata would have spoken up on the console by now, I don't know what the fuck Kimishima is doing.

Literally only excited for this machine because of Breath of the Wild, that E3 demo was so good :(

To be fair, when has there been a lack of communication when Nintendo hasn't started communication on the NX? Most, if not all, of the dialogue is fueled by rumours.

If the company chooses not to reveal the hardware, there's likely a reason why they're not doing so (could be business-related, software-related, whatever).

I don't think some people honestly believe it's delayed. I think they're just very frustrated we've gotten no NX talk at all and just want to jump to "it's been delayed, so that's why they haven't talked about it yet" conclusion.

There's nothing pointing to a delay and like its been said Emily said everything is ahead of schedule. Also, didn't production already start for NX? How do you start production for something that wouldn't release for over a year?

This is the first time I've seen the lack of hype turn into anti hype, and then immediately turn back into hype. Ninteeeendooooooo pls

FZZ

Banned
To be fair, when has there been a lack of communication when Nintendo hasn't started communication on the NX? Most, if not all, of the dialogue is fueled by rumours.

If the company chooses not to reveal the hardware, there's likely a reason why they're not doing so (could be business-related, software-related, whatever).

I mean when your software pipeline after November 18 (launch of Sun and Moon) is drier than anything I have seen from a major console manufacturer and there is nothing to look forward to after then your PR is just ass

They mentioned the machine in March 2015 in desperation because of how bad their pipeline was looking and them making the move towards mobile

Now fans are literally left in the dark concerning this machine they talked about and mentioned that they would talk about. They even asked a site to remove a small statement about the NX that revealed absolutely nothing. The NX could be a fantastic revolutionary machine but Nintendo's PR is fucking ass.

I don't think some people honestly believe it's delayed. I think they're just very frustrated we've gotten no NX talk at all and just want to jump to "it's been delayed, so that's why they haven't talked about it yet" conclusion.

There's nothing pointing to a delay and like its been said Emily said everything is ahead of schedule. Also, didn't production already start for NX? How do you start production for something that wouldn't release for over a year?

Emily Rogers also said we would have Mother 3 by now as well.

Not singling her out, but the stuff these rumor mongers drop comes to us, at best, as fourth place down the telephone chain. These peeps aren't talking directly with some person high up at NCL. That's the real reason they are intentionally vague and leading, because they are interpreting and cobbling together information from (potentially) legitimate sources that are likely being careful with what and how much they are saying.

Emily Rogers doesn't know when NX is being revealed anymore than you do.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release | October 26, following the close of the market (JPX) at 03:15 PM JST.

t1477462500z4.png

Nintendo's FY 2016 Corporate Management Policy Briefing* / Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing | Tentatively scheduled for October 27, 10:00 AM JST.

*Tentative

t1477530000z4.png

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

The fact that we are roughly three weeks away from Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release/Briefing where we most likely will get some news on NX can perhaps bring some joy. Especially if a Corporate Management Policy Briefing is scheduled, one should definitely expect some news. Those briefings have in the past happened in January or October (or both)

Nintendo Corporate Management Policy Briefings Per Calendar Year

2015: October
2014: October & January
2013: January
2012: January
2011: None
2010: October
2009: October

If a reveal of NX will happen prior to, or after, the upcoming earnings release I do not know. But I think the chance of official news in October is quite high.

Here is a list anyway of what is to be expected on October 26/27:

• Six Months Earnings
  • Notice of Dividend (end of 2nd quarter)
  • Supplementary Information about Earnings Release (including updated release schedule)
  • Presentation by the President
  • Q & A

Hip Hop

Is releasing in May-June even feasible? You don't see many releases during those times, not just hardware but video games too.

It feels like this will be a release March or nothing sort of deal. They might just skip to Holiday 2017 if they miss the March date.

Is releasing in May-June even feasible? You don't see many releases during those times, not just hardware but video games too.

It feels like this will be a release March or nothing sort of deal. They might just skip to Holiday 2017 if they miss the March date.

N64 came out in June in Japan. I have no idea how doable that is 20 years later though.

I will say if it really is a hybrid (play at home OR out and about!) then that might be appealing to younger crowds in a similar vein as Pokemon Go being helped greatly by launching in the summer.

I'm not really committing to the idea of it being delayed to that timeframe, but that if the system absolutely had to be delayed, it'd be wiser to launch it then, instead of waiting all the way until November and having yet another droughty year. Basically what I think is...

- It probably will be March, still. That's what I think.
- IF a delay were to happen, I doubt it'd be past Q2.

Emily Rogers also said we would have Mother 3 by now as well.

TBF, she never said anything beyond it was coming this year (i.e. in 2016) to my knowledge.

I can understand this. I really want to know more also. I wake up every morning and refresh GAF in hopes to see a reveal thread. I really want the NX based on the rumors. It is everything a person like me (40, family, lots of long flights to Asia lately for work) wants. A high powered handheld from Nintendo sounds amazing.

ggx2ac

*Sigh* I don't want to join in this madness about a delay.

First off, the earliest we'll know about a delay is during the financial briefing on October 27th if we haven't seen the NX revealed by then.

Second, NX is in the middle of or has already been through trial production at Foxconn due to rumours. They have plenty of time to move to mass production. The Wii and Wii U were mass produced 2 months before their worldwide launches.

jackal27

Banned
Yeah this ain't comin until later next year. I've already accepted it.

Backlog catch-up year here I come. Haven't had one of those since 2013 when I sat a year out on the Wii U and dove HARD into that 3DS life. Honestly, I'm fine either way. I bought too many consoles this generation and have too much to play as it is.

AdanVC

Jesuschrist the title of this thread should be changed. I got a mini heart attack everyday I see it on the top page thinking it says: "NX officially has----- been revealed" D:

Rösti;218854505 said:
Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release | October 26, following the close of the market (JPX) at 03:15 PM JST.

t1477462500z4.png

Nintendo's FY 2016 Corporate Management Policy Briefing* / Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing | Tentatively scheduled for October 27, 10:00 AM JST.

*Tentative

t1477530000z4.png

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

The fact that we are roughly three weeks away from Nintendo's FY 2016 Second Quarter Earnings Release/Briefing where we most likely will get some news on NX can perhaps bring some joy. Especially if a Corporate Management Policy Briefing is scheduled, one should definitely expect some news. Those briefings have in the past happened in January or October (or both)

Nintendo Corporate Management Policy Briefings Per Calendar Year

2015: October
2014: October & January
2013: January
2012: January
2011: None
2010: October
2009: October

If a reveal of NX will happen prior to, or after, the upcoming earnings release I do not know. But I think the chance of official news in October is quite high.

Here is a list anyway of what is to be expected on October 26/27:

• Six Months Earnings
  • Notice of Dividend (end of 2nd quarter)
  • Supplementary Information about Earnings Release (including updated release schedule)
  • Presentation by the President
  • Q & A

Odds of them showing NX: 4:1
Odds of them not showing NX but announcing the system has been delayed to Q3 2017: 3:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom