• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times report Switch sales in North America (from interview with Reggie)

a916

Great, i hope they keep momentum. Zelda really saved the launch.

Yeah about that... it'll be hard to keep momentum because there's no Zelda-esque game coming out until Mario? Mario Kart is a huge seller but it's also a port.

watershed

Banned
Great start but the to-do list for the Switch is a long one. The system itself needs more features so its not just my Zelda machine. The system features are too barebones and the potential for software droughts is worrying.

Yeah about that... it'll be hard to keep momentum because there's no Zelda-esque game coming out until Mario? Mario Kart is a huge seller but it's also a port.

It will be tough but while it's a port it has potential to sell a good amount due to the low user base for the Wii U. Personally, it will be a game I never played.

Splatoon 2 and ARMs. Splatoon will do well. Jury's out on ARMs, but it's looking good.

MK8 being a port doesn't matter too much considering how few people owned a Wii U, I'd say, plus the battle mode is completely revamped.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oh, Splatoon 2. I guess that's a second big games.

Mario Kart 8 DX is another big game. Yes, it's a port but people need to remember that no one owned a Wii U. If Switch has a huge launch out of the gate, we'll likely see a much more successful MK8 as well.

ARMS could end up being a hit too.

AmuroChan

Mario Kart 8 DX is another big game. Yes, it's a port but people need to remember that no one owned a Wii U. If Switch has a huge launch out of the gate, we'll likely see a much more successful MK8 as well.

I know it's sarcasm, but c'mon now. MK8 sold 8+ million copies. That's more than what most Sony or MS 1st party exclusives sell.

I'm glad it's starting strong, I've really been enjoying mine. Playing Zelda on a car trip to visit my girlfriends parents last weekend was a really cool experience. It's amazing to see that game running on a handheld. Hopefully Nintendo sorts out the console's issues quickly and keeps the games flowing so they can keep up the momentum.

Papacheeks

Banned

13+ Million Wii U owners does not = "no one owned it".

8 million is not a number to scoff at. People have bought it played it, it will sell for sure, but it's not doing 8 million.

Iacobellis

We only have a definitive date for the global demo
Personally I'm expecting Splatoon 2 to be a mid/late July launch so it coincides with Japanese summer vacation and holidays.

Hm... Having a brand new Zelda and Mario in the first nine months is definitely unseen with the past couple Nintendo launches, but that's still a long time to only have a couple more high-profile releases in-between. It'd be less worrisome if Nintendo had the support of major third parties like Sony and Microsoft do, but we'll see.

I will say that the Switch does have a brighter future right out of the gate (in my opinion) than the 3DS and Wii U, and I think a LOT of fans will be happy that Mario is returning to the form of 64/Sunshine.

Schnozberry

We don't really know the full 2017 lineup. You have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Maybe ARMS?) and quite a few very good indie games coming out between now and E3. I expect we'll get the full 2017 salvo then.

Hm... Having a brand new Zelda and Mario in the first nine months is definitely unseen with the past couple Nintendo launches, but that's still a long time to only have a couple more high-profile releases in-between. It'd be less worrisome if Nintendo had the support of major third parties like Sony and Microsoft do, but we'll see.

I will say that the Switch does have a brighter future right out of the gate (in my opinion) than the 3DS and Wii U, and I think a LOT of fans will be happy that Mario is returning to the form of 64/Sunshine.

They'll have a good chance if they can pull off:
April - Mario Kart
May - ARMs
June - E3 Hype Train
July - Splatoon 2
August - Fire Emblem Warriors
September - Virtual Console
October - Skyrim
November - Mario Odyssey
December - Xenoblade 2

That's a steady stream of new, big releases, and each builds off of the last one. People buying Splatoon will have Zelda, ARMs, and Kart to grab as well, and so on. That's not even taking big gets like Stardew Valley and Minecraft. Minecraft could be HUGE on this.

SarusGray

I heard switch has been very limited in stock in Japan so the sales could have been much higher. Darn you nintendo and your undershipping.

J@hranimo

Banned
I just hope Nintendo delivers on all their content promises this year.

im looking at you Xenoblade.

I'm pretty sure it's coming this year. They aren't even using the same localisation team as before, so that is one telling aspect that it'll be different.

Papacheeks

Banned
April - Mario Kart
May - ARMs
June - E3 Hype Train
July - Splatoon 2
October - Skyrim
November - Mario Odyssey
December - Xenoblade 2

That's a steady stream of new, big releases, and each builds off of the last one. People buying Splatoon will have Zelda, ARMs, and Kart to grab as well, and so on. That's not even taking big gets like Stardew Valley and Minecraft. Minecraft could be HUGE on this.

Minecraft is on everything though? That does not move systems like you think it does. Games like mario kart, spaltoon, mario maker move consoles same with zelda.

Release dates in Japan, per Wikipedia:

Wii U - December 8, 2012
Wii - December 2, 2006
PS4 - February 22, 2014

So, looks like switch sold roughly on par with ps4, in about same time frame (non holiday).

Geat news, I hope this is a big success for Nintendo. I'll probably buy one later this year. If not later in the spring, then around the holidays for Mario.

Celine

So what were the sales for Mario 64? We can figure out the minimum for Zelda from that.
N64 sold about 326K in its first four days (it was reeased at the end of September 1996), I believe Super Mario 64 to have sold close to 1:1 with the system.

Minecraft is on everything though? That does not move systems like you think it does. Games like mario kart, spaltoon, mario maker move consoles same with zelda.

Portable, console quality, Minecraft is going to be huge with children, even if they already own it somewhere else. It won't be a system seller by itself, but pair it with Zelda, Splatoon, or Mario and little Timmy knows what he wants for Christmas.

big_erk

Playing Zelda this evening when this major storm rolls through KC. Tornado sirens go off and so does my power. Switch switches to tablet mode and I keep on going. I love this thing.

Good that they sold what was available. Did any of these launch consoles not sell out though? Doesn't it just mean that's roughly what they produced?

April - Mario Kart
May - ARMs
June - E3 Hype Train
July - Splatoon 2
October - Skyrim
November - Mario Odyssey
December - Xenoblade 2

Even though some of those are ports, yeah. The VC getting GameCube support would be unreal.

(Also I believe in Xenoblade 2 in 2017)

Justified

first week is technically 3 days?

First week is First week. A sale week is Monday through Sunday. Its doesnt adjust to a console's date

Mostly all consoles launch on a Friday, all those number you see for "first week" as just those 3 days. Switch is exclusive in this regard.

I know right off that those PS4 number arent even 3 days but 2

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The two semi-plausible possibilities that come to mind are Smash 4, and Pokemon.

Both ports, but both would sell systems nonetheless.

Can you call Pokemon a port when we literally have no idea what it is?

Top Bottom