• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama announces $2M donation to Chicago summer jobs programs

Link.

Former President Barack Obama announced Wednesday that he and his wife, Michelle, are donating $2 million to summer jobs programs in Chicago.

“One of the things that we’ll be starting this year is Michelle and I are personally going to donate $2 million to our summer jobs programs here in the community,” he said at the South Shore Cultural Center. "[It's] so that right away young people can get to work and we can start providing opportunities to all of them.”

The former president used the event to unveil plans for a 200,000-square-foot campus on Chicago’s South Side that will house the Obama Presidential Center. Obama said the center will be used to "train the next generation of leadership, the Michelle Robinsons of today and the Barack Obamas of today."

The center will sit on a lagoon that runs into Lake Michigan in the Jackson Park neighborhood and will feature three buildings — a museum, a forum and a library — alongside outdoor gathering spaces.

The Obama Foundation said the center will be located near Chicago’s historically African-American Woodlawn neighborhood and will revitalize the Jackson Park neighborhood by creating new jobs on the South Side and attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors.

“More than a building or museum, the Obama Presidential Center will be a living, working center for engagement — an ongoing project for the community and world to shape what it means to be an active citizen in the 21st century,” the foundation said.

Obama is expected to use the center as he focuses on issues such as criminal justice reform and education for underprivileged children now that he has left office.

Foundation officials have said that the project is expected to cost $500 million and should be completed in 2021.

Thanks Obama!

I want to know if the orange turd had ever make a donation like that out of his own pocket instead of shuffling donations from other people around and pretend he did.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
is there going to be a 20 page thread about this too? or are all the dummies just ignoring this because of a lack of wall st boogeymen

Kyzer

Banned
Next step is to save kids around the world with an Obama Foundation, and then to be accused of sex slaves in pizza shops, and people demand they stop saving kids.

Nepenthe

But the speaking fees.

Anyway, it's an excellent initiative, and the campus sounds like it'll be a great place to get Chicago's Youth. I miss my President.

This is disgusting. Using his speech money to donate to job programs.

Republicans do your thing and destroy this man.

teeheehee

gdt

He'll speak at this new Obama center then get paid so he's really making it all back the neoliberal Wall Street shill scum.

cdyhybrid

I'm going to speak on behalf of Chicago and say thanks but no thanks. I'm pretty sure they don't want that establishment money.

/s

Linkura

Obama's a modern day Robin Hood.

Fleecing rich people with absurd speaking fees and using it to help people who need it.

I half expected him to say that he was going to donate $80k to the National Parks Service just to piss off Trump.

100 days out of office and Obama is doing more good than the egoist in chief.

Good guy. We're not going to get anyone else with even half the class and dignity as Barack Obama anywhere close to the White House in our life times.

Xe4

Banned
Good on him. I never minded the speaking fees shit, and if he's using it for this, I mind it even less.

Of course he doesn't use this money to address the rampant "American Carnage" (pending Trump Brand trademark) and "black on black crime" (pending Republican Boogeyman trademark).

Nafai1123

Banned
This is why I don't give a shit about speaking fees. Money in Obamas pocket is better served than in the pockets of Wall St.

Nepenthe

Nope, the "I am so left I only walk in circles" crowd can't twist this into some holier than thou bullshit

giphy.gif

Viewt

For the record, these job programs are proven to be tremendously effective.

Research on the program conducted by the University of Chicago Crime Lab and just published in the journal Science suggests that these summer jobs have actually had such an effect: Students who were randomly assigned to participate in the program had 43 percent fewer violent-crime arrests over 16 months, compared to students in a control group.

That number is striking for a couple of reasons: It implies that a relatively short (and inexpensive) intervention like an eight-week summer jobs program can have a lasting effect on teenage behavior. And it lends empirical support to a popular refrain by advocates: "Nothing stops a bullet like a job."

Good on Barack and Michelle, and as a Chicago resident, I'm always happy to see cool new stuff pop up.

NoRéN

The speaking fees bullshit has been so distasteful.
But it's been quite the eye opening experience for this forum. No matter how progressive this place can claim to be, there are certain things that serve to expose people's true colors. That was one of them.

Boke1879

Keep up man. Never had a problem with him making money speaking. Or anyone for that matter.

But I love seeing this. Small steps but programs and initiatives like this help.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's so refreshing to see an announcement that uses coherent sentences that actually make sense.

Everything from the current administration sounds like it's coming from a child caught stealing cookies.

Is this why democrats keep losing

"So he chose to focus on Chicago youth? Why not Kansas youth? He should be helping ALL people! This is why democrats keep losing, doing things like this will only push away people from the democrat platform into voting for Trump, identity politics!"

Top Bottom