• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama announces $2M donation to Chicago summer jobs programs

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nope, the "I am so left I only walk in circles" crowd can't twist this into some holier than thou bullshit
The spin here is actually pretty easy, jobs programs like this just encourage further engagement in neoliberal capitalism, that money could have been better spent on medical charities and helping people break Free of labor. Guarantee thats the line

Black_Sun

The people who criticized Obama for his speaking fees should feel bad. I hope they feel so bad for that bullshit.

Not really. Because it doesn't matter if he does donate it.

It was a bad look especially since a lot of people in the Obama years protested his closeness to Wall Street (Democrat or Republican)

It was just tone-deaf.

marrec

Banned

It was a bad look especially since a lot of people in the Obama years protested his closeness to Wall Street (Democrat or Republican)

It was just tone-deaf.

Ya Obama should really watch his tone :rolls_eyes:

The spin here is actually pretty easy, jobs programs like this just encourage further engagement in neoliberal capitalism, that money could have been better spent on medical charities and helping people break Free of labor. Guarantee thats the line
Can we at least wait for people to complain before attacking them for complaining about this?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

It was just tone-deaf.
I am a-ok with Obama siphoning millions of dollars from Wall Street into programs like these, optics be damned

It was just tone-deaf.

And this is total bullshit. You don't have to make a sector of the economy the enemy. Why don't people blame consumers for wanting cheaper products and thus contributing to the decline of American manufacturing? Because we are consumers. No one wants to blame themselves. So making Wall Street this ominous boogie man works. You get to say everything is their fault, when it is society as a whole and technology that push much of the change that tends to impact the working class.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Ya Obama should really watch his tone :rolls_eyes:

How can he? He's deaf.

Also, while he can't please everyone, I'm glad he hasn't listened to people calling it bad optics for him to give speeches at companies. There are plenty of us who are smart enough to see that those speeches aren't problematic. Not his problem that a number of people are idiots and can't see two feet in front of them.

It was just tone-deaf.

Instead of questioning your own reactions in the face of evidence that directly suggests that he used that closeness in a way to help people that need it, you choose to focus on the look.

Sure.

Unless you're trolling. In which case, wowsers.

Slayven

It was just tone-deaf.

It's was only a bad look if you willfully ignorant or just wanted to hate Obama

Never got why people made such a big deal out of him getting $400k for the talk, anyway. If Wall Street execs want to give their money away to someone like Obama, most of that $400k will probably ultimately be put to better use than if they'd kept it to begin with. As long as Obama doesn't turn his back on his principles in his talk, who gives a shit?

Good on him.

Derwind

Obama needs to keep doing his thing. Ignore all the purity test bullshit as a private citizen. He owes no one any explanation.

Love this man.

It was just tone-deaf.

Tell me what's tone deaf about taking 400k from Wall Street's hands and donating 5 times that to people in need. You can't just shout "tone-deaf!" and pretend you have an argument.

marrec

Banned
Tell me what's tone deaf about taking 400k from Wall Street's hands and donating 5 times that to people in need. You can't just shout "tone-deaf!" and pretend you have an argument.

Wait until the transcripts get leaked and it's all reasonable real life shit instead of insane leftist ideals and people go even more rabid.

Obama needs to keep doing his thing. Ignore all the purity test bullshit as a private citizen. He owes no one any explanation.

Love this man.

I'm sayin, if he really wanted to troll the Justice Dems, the campus would look something like this:

Hall_of_Justice.jpg

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Wait until the transcripts get leaked and it's all reasonable real life shit instead of insane leftist ideals and people go even more rabid.

Transcript reads:

[Opening sentence]

"Thank you for allowing me to speak to you today."

How dumbasses will respond:

"Looooooooooooooook at that asshole thanking Wall Street for him being there. What a neoliberal shill pickle mother fucker."

zethren

Banned
If he keeps taking money from wall street and giving it to people who actually need it, that's fucking amazing. Please keep doing this.

marrec

Banned
If he keeps taking money from wall street and giving it to people who actually need it, that's fucking amazing. Please keep doing this.

I don't want to relitigate the 2016 election, but that's literally what Hillary was doing via the Clinton Foundation and it was a net negative for her among democrats.

Flux

If that's his personal money, that's impressive. Gotta keep making speeches to the wealthy wall street and give back to the community.

I don't want to relitigate the 2016 election, but that's literally what Hillary was doing via the Clinton Foundation and it was a net negative for her among democrats.

Money needs a purity test too.

At least Trumps charity money came from pure, real people. You can tell how pure his charity money is by the amazing quality of the portraits of himself that he spent the charity money on.

Charity money that came from Saudi Arabia could never have made such beautiful art for Donald.

zethren

Banned

I'm definitely aware of that, but honestly I don't personally have an issue with him or Hillary doing this.
Or anyone, for that matter. It's going towards a very good thing that would otherwise see significantly less funding and attention.

I def raised a brow upon hearing Obama taking that absurd sum of money from Wall St., but this is reassuring to me from a moral standpoint

Black_Sun

I def raised a brow upon hearing Obama taking that absurd sum of money from Wall St., but this is reassuring to me from a moral standpoint

Pretty much this.

Also at a time when Dems are at least pretending to move away from big donors, it wasn't a good look to take 400 k from Wall Street.

That he donated it is nice but it's already done damage.

Obama is rich enough to where he could've just donated 2 million anyway without needing to take that Wall Street money.

Do we know exactly how much of the 400k he received in speaking fees are going to this endeavor? How do we know that he wasn't already planning on giving the 2 million before the received the 400k. IMO in order to make this right and not hurt Democrats in the 2018 midterms he should donate an additional 400k. It's what Bernie would do.

- Edit
It's sad but apparently this could be considered a serious post now. For the record everyone this is a joke post.

Magwik

Banned
Do we know exactly how much of the 400k he received in speaking fees are going to this endeavor? How do we know that he wasn't already planning on giving the 2 million before the received the 400k. IMO in order to make this right and not hurt Democrats in the 2018 midterms he should donate an additional 400k. It's what Bernie would do.
Is this a joke post?

commedieu

Banned

Lol.

Lol @bernie too.

It was just tone-deaf.

Pretty much this.

Also at a time when Dems are at least pretending to move away from big donors, it wasn't a good look to take 400 k from Wall Street.

Obama is rich enough to where he could've just donated 2 million anyway without needing to take that Wall Street money.

Xn4hKRC.gif

Black_Sun

And this is total bullshit. You don't have to make a sector of the economy the enemy. Why don't people blame consumers for wanting cheaper products and thus contributing to the decline of American manufacturing? Because we are consumers. No one wants to blame themselves. So making Wall Street this ominous boogie man works. You get to say everything is their fault, when it is society as a whole and technology that push much of the change that tends to impact the working class.

It's not just about Wall Street. It's about big companies having more sway over policy than the common people do. And sometimes that leads to making bad policy decisions in favor of companies or it leads to politicians not advancing certain agendas because they threaten their donors' profit margins in the next quarter.

It's more complicated than that it that's the basics.

Pretty much this.

How is it "done damage" if nobody even knew what Obama's philanthropic plans were going to be? It's like you only heard half a story and already made up your mind. Refusing to become informed about the entirety of Obama's plans moving forward is on you, not him.

It's not just about Wall Street. It's about big companies having more sway over policy than the common people do. And sometimes that leads to making bad policy decisions in favor of companies or it leads to politicians not advancing certain agendas because they threaten their donors' profit margins in the next quarter.

It's more complicated than that it that's the basics.

Big money in politics is an issue, but that's the thing, this isn't a case of big money in politics.

Black_Sun

How is it "done damage" if nobody even knew what Obama's philanthropic plans were going to be? It's like you only heard half a story and already made up your mind. Refusing to become informed about the entirety of Obama's plans moving forward is on you, not him.

Because people don't keep up to date on the news. It's going to miss a lot of people who saw the other article about him accepting Wall Street money.

On top of that, there are news sites that only do give half the story. And won't report this.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Lack of nuance in thread. Almost Republican like simplistic thinking.

Paid speeches can be bad at the same time charity is good.

Or is it suddenly ok for the koch brothers to be undermining our political system to get lower taxes because they donate a lot to charity??

Black_Sun

Big money in politics is an issue, but that's the thing, this isn't a case of big money in politics.

Obama was president 4 months ago. Anything to do with him is politics. And Wall Street is big money.

Yes, I know what you meant but there are going to be plenty of people who think that this is Wall Street rewarding Obama for being "soft" on them.

Top Bottom