• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama announces $2M donation to Chicago summer jobs programs

Nepenthe

Lack of nuance in thread. Almost Republican like simplistic thinking.

Paid speeches can be bad at the same time charity is good.

Or is it suddenly ok for the koch brothers to be undermining our political system to get lower taxes because they donate a lot to charity??

Being paid for a service =/= skipping on your taxes.

Magwik

Banned

Or is it suddenly ok for the koch brothers to be undermining our political system to get lower taxes because they donate a lot to charity??
Ah yeah Obama getting paid to give a speech is certainly just as bad as the Koch brothers undermining the political system.

Do we know exactly how much of the 400k he received in speaking fees are going to this endeavor? How do we know that he wasn't already planning on giving the 2 million before the received the 400k. IMO in order to make this right and not hurt Democrats in the 2018 midterms he should donate an additional 400k. It's what Bernie would do.

tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

This has to be a joke.

With this post you have no right to accuse anyone else of being simple.

It's not just about Wall Street. It's about big companies having more sway over policy than the common people do. And sometimes that leads to making bad policy decisions in favor of companies or it leads to politicians not advancing certain agendas because they threaten their donors' profit margins in the next quarter.

It's more complicated than that it that's the basics.

You do realize another reason why these big companies hold so much capital is due to the fact that many do not vote. Many are not politically active on any level. They buy their iPhones and cry foul when things don't​ go their way. Did they vote? Nope. You want your voice heard, keep speaking (voting). You also have to realize that donations come from people that work in various industries. You can't lump everyone that works in every industry together. There are people from both sides on Wall Street. To try to say otherwise would be foolish.

Politicians are people. Most want to just keep their jobs. If you made it important for them to reflect your values, believe me, they would. You can't get big money out of politics without putting people in power that advocate the removal of money from politics. Some on Wall Street want money out of politics. *Gasp* shocking I know

But ultimately, Obama isn't a politician. So why does this even matter

boiled goose

good with gravy
Ah yeah Obama getting paid to give a speech is certainly just as bad as the Koch brothers undermining the political system.

Guess who were the highest donors to Obama in 2012? Not the kochs but...

Guess which doj established precedent for too big to prosecute?

hypernima

Banned
Do we know exactly how much of the 400k he received in speaking fees are going to this endeavor? How do we know that he wasn't already planning on giving the 2 million before the received the 400k. IMO in order to make this right and not hurt Democrats in the 2018 midterms he should donate an additional 400k. It's what Bernie would do.

- Edit
It's sad but apparently this could be considered a serious post now. For the record everyone this is a joke post.

Was about to say.

Would never expect this coming from Van Jones.

Really?

Do you not realise the irony of your own post?

In your own words, paid speeches CAN BE bad.

Which therefore means, paid speeches CAN BE good.

Yet nobody cares what the speech was about, who it was for, it what it it was meant to do.......you know, NUANCE.

You start your post berating an alleged lack of nuance, and end it with an over simplified false equivalency of the Koch brothers who are known influential shit stains conflated with a former president who is passionate about healthcare, giving a speech about healthcare........

The final irony is that the people you are accusing of lacking nuance, are calling out or serving the crow to people who made posts showing a lack of nuance, like yours, in the other thread.

Black_Sun

You do realize another reason why these big companies hold so much capital is due to the fact that many do not vote. Many are not politically active on any level. They buy their iPhones and cry foul when things don't​ go their way. Did they vote? Nope. You want your voice heard, keep speaking (voting). You also have to realize that donations come from people that work in various industries. You can't lump everyone that works in every industry together. There are people from both sides on Wall Street. To try to say otherwise would be foolish.

Politicians are people. Most want to just keep their jobs. If you made it important for them to reflect your values, believe me, they would. You can't get big money out of politics without putting people in power that advocate the removal of money from politics. Some on Wall Street want money out of politics. *Gasp* shocking I know

That's why I said it's more complex than that. I fed you a simple paragraph that even a 12 year old can understand.

Why do you think people don't vote? Because many people realize that their politicians are no longer representing them. People didn't suddenly stop voting one day. It's been a slow process as more and more people have been getting disenfranchised by big money in politics.

So again, it didn't start with people not voting but with corporations smashing money into the system.

And Obama holds enormous sway over his party so t does matter. Saying otherwise is just naive

Do you not realise the irony of your own post?

In your own words, paid speeches CAN BE bad.

Which therefore means, paid speeches CAN BE good.

Yet nobody cares what the speech was about, who it was for, it what it it was meant to do.......you know, NUANCE.

Nobody wants to live in a complex world. Everything is zero sum. The only way I can win is if you lose....etc.

Would never expect this coming from Van Jones.

This is disgusting, coming from someone who Obama once defending. Throwing away friendships and respect in order to build clout on a failing news network. Laughable. I loathe disloyalty.

There's nothing wrong with playing "the game." If that's how you make your money, more power to you. But Jones has gone too fucking far. Reminds me of how ESPN convinces former athletes to shit on their former teammates or coaches in order to help brand them as an "independent" voice. Get the fuck outta here...

Black_Sun

This is disgusting, coming from someone who Obama once defending. Throwing away friendships and respect in order to build clout on a failing news network. Laughable. I loathe disloyalty.

There's nothing wrong with playing "the game." If that's how you make your money, more power to you. But Jones has gone too fucking far. Reminds me of how ESPN convinces former athletes to shit on their former teammates or coaches in order to help brand them as an "independent" voice. Get the fuck outta here...

Maybe he believes what he says.

That's why I said it's more complex than that. I fed you a simple paragraph that even a 12 year old can understand.

Why do you think people don't vote? Because many people realize that their politicians are no longer representing them. People didn't suddenly stop voting one day. It's been a slow process as more and more people have been getting disenfranchised by big money in politics.

So again, it didn't start with people not voting but with corporations smashing money into the system.

I can comprehend everything in your argument. Please don't insult my intelligence like that. I did not question yours. I merely presented a different issue that also needs to be addressed. Your refusal to acknowledge that the problem is exacerbated by he political inaction of many, does not make me stupid. It just means you don't want to accept what I said.

Furthermore, you didn't speak to the fact that many that work in the financial sector are against money in politics. Many that work for corporations are against money in politics. Money in politics doesn't just stop because you wish it away. You actively vote it out. To lose heart in the system is easy. To sit on your ass and complain is easy. To go out and vote for changes takes effort.

Are there active attacks on effort? Sure. There's voter suppression through id laws and intimidation. There are locations with no early voting. There's all sorts of stuff. So how do we tackle that? We get funds. Where are the funds? In communities and companies. Many in the communities don't have funds to spare. We can find ways to get them from companies, but then you're painted as an impure shill. So we are back at square one. The company gives the money to the politician that campaigns to the active voter to whom he or she becomes beholden. All while someone stands on a soapbox and screams how pure they are. They'd never take money from Wall Street

After he fellatio'ed Trump on CNN for popping an adderall and reading from a teleprompter, this isn't shocking at all.

To be fair, every commentator on both sides of aisle gave Trump a hand that night, but yeah, Van has been slipping as of late. I guess it's safe to say he's in that "sunken place" everyone's been accusing him of being in.

Where are the people who called Obama straight up greedy in that other thread?

Especially the ones saying "he's making too much money rabble rabble!" and conveniently could never articulate how much was "too much".

What an embarrassment of a thread that was.

Just needs to be White. Then magically his wealth would be a non-issue.

He could shoot someone in the middle of fifth avenue and not lose voters!

He could tic-tac twiddly wack women whenever he wanted, and they'd let him do it because he's famous.

Must be nice.

I can't manage to muster giving a shit about Obama receiving that amount of money for a speech, much like how I don't care that Romney did the same shit.

rjinaz

He could shoot someone in the middle of fifth avenue and not lose voters!

He could tic-tac twiddly wack women whenever he wanted, and they'd let him do it because he's famous.

Must be nice.

When you really think about it, it's amazing how "good" Obama had to be during his presidency. Every little thing he would be raked over the coals for. Trump has no accountability at all. Wonder why?

boiled goose

good with gravy
So you're telling me Obama is a shill?

Was government under Obama affected by Wall street money and influence? Definitely.

Do I have a problem with politicians making bank by receiving paid speeches in 100k chunks or getting cushy fake consulting jobs in industries they regulated? definitely.

It's a system wide problem. An individual mind and their motivations are impossible to assess. You have to look at results in aggregate.

RaidenZR

When you really think about it, it's amazing how "good" Obama had to be during his presidency. Every little thing he would be raked over the coals for. Trump has no accountability at all. Wonder why?

Dude's still being raked over the coals, no need for past tense.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Trump definitely gets away with ridiculous shit. It's unbelievable.

Was government under Obama affected by Wall street money and influence? Definitely.

Do I have a problem with politicians making bank by receiving paid speeches in 100k chunks or getting cushy fake consulting jobs in industries they regulated? definitely.

It's a system wide problem. An individual mind and their motivations are impossible to assess. You have to look at results in aggregate.

So you're going to double down on painting any sort of monetary payment from corporations as inherently negative, because it doesn't matter where the money is actually going, it just matters where it came from, right?

tuxfool

Banned
So you're going to double down on painting any sort of monetary payment from corporations as inherently negative, because it doesn't matter where the money is actually going, it just matters where it came from, right?

I should point out all money has traces of cocaine on it.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Did I say any payment? I specified two examples I find problematic. Come on, let's at least keep it honest if you want to discuss.

Yup. Gets money for a speech, donates 5x that to help younger folks access opportunity, and gets ragged on for it.

The only proper course of action is for him to refuse all money and give away what he has until he's middle class bracket or lower.

Now of course I'm not going to give any money or time to help

Deepwater

People aren't trying to hear it man. Speaking into the void at this point.

and for the record before people start quoting me: I think A LOT of people upset at Obama for that speech were disingenuous with their critique, but that doesn't mean there isn't any valid critique to be had.

Did I say any payment? I specified two examples I find problematic. Come on, let's at least keep it honest if you want to discuss.

Your first post in this thread is comparing Obama receiving money from a speech and then putting it into a summer jobs program to help low-income people as the same thing as what the Koch brothers do.

You want me to be 100% honest, when you yourself are using a dishonest argument.

Slayven

Obama should apologize and do a shame tour.

Then he should vow to only earn 3/5th as much any previous first black president that changed the shape of healthcare in America.

Then he should donate double as any other democrat and only claim half of it on his taxes

marrec

Banned
Obama should apologize and do a shame tour.

Then he should vow to only earn 3/5th as much any previous first black president that changed the shape of healthcare in America.

Then he should donate double as any other democrat and only claim half of it on his taxes

Also he can continue to accept book deals, but the entirety of the manuscript has to read:

"i am sorry for taking money i should be doing all this for free"

over and over for 350+ pages.

Top Bottom