• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes November 10th

Pre season is definitely over. This thread has more posts than the past 2 NPD threads, and will pass July's by next week.

Interesting times.

Interesting indeed. I'm definitely looking forward to next week. I have a feeling this may be the last time an NPD will be this exciting until next gen as I fear that the results will be more predictable starting November... I hope I'm wrong about that.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Pre season is definitely over. This thread has more posts than the past 2 NPD threads, and will pass July's by next week.

Interesting times.

Definitely.

All these PS4 > XB1 predictions. If they can't win a month with a mainline Halo then something is wrong.

Well even tho I still have PS4 over XBO I keep changing the overall gap between the 2 this month. Possible Halo 5 sales is causing me to keep it PS4 over XBO. That and that damn PS4 price cut....

Going with an NPD avatar while posting in an NPD thread just in time for holiday when the thread is scrutinized the most by those cats?

And I thought these threads might be kind of boring this year.

Welcome, new thread member. GL HF

Going with an NPD avatar while posting in an NPD thread just in time for holiday when the thread is scrutinized the most by those cats?

Yeah that person is a little freaking me out.

I'm curious if thats someone actually from NPD or not

Fat4all

Banned
GtVSCPM.png

But now saying: Halo is not selling well because the Xbox sells so weak is putting shoes on before the trousers.
Not entirely. The intent is for the game to drive ecology buy-in, yes. But when the ecology itself is a less attractive place to be, even the best incentive won't have as much effect.

Basically, I'm saying Halo is still pulling its weight--best-selling first-party, biggest digital first week, big console bump--in a way that Fable or Splinter Cell aren't. Those are crumbled tentpoles. Halo is a giant trunk that can only do so much for a shrunken tent.

Not entirely. The intent is for the game to drive ecology buy-in, yes. But when the ecology itself is a less attractive place to be, even the best incentive won't have as much effect.

Basically, I'm saying Halo is still pulling its weight--best-selling first-party, biggest digital first week, big console bump--in a way that Fable or Splinter Cell aren't. Those are crumbled tentpoles. Halo is a giant trunk that can only do so much for a shrunken tent.

Halo did massive numbers on the OG Xbox and the 360 during various points of that systems lifetime. I don't think we can ascribe the primary decline (upwards of 50% if the numbers turn out to be correct) to the ecosystem alone. I do think it's a contributing factor in an almost perfect storm of several other factors (franchise fatigue, poor reception for the past two titles, release date competition, genre competition, console ecosystem etc) but I don't think by itself it holds much merit.

Halo doing 1.5 million (give or take a bit) is still a massive launch. I mean its a huge franchise still, its just not anywhere near what it was at its peak. With micro transactions etc. though I'm sure its highly profitable

Halo doing 1.5 million (give or take a bit) is still a massive launch. I mean its a huge franchise still, its just not anywhere near what it was at its peak. With micro transactions etc. though I'm sure its highly profitable

For sure. And aside from perhaps Gears, I don't really see an exclusive game launching to such massive numbers anytime soon.

And speaking of Gears, that franchise will really put to the test how much the console ecosystem (aka PS4's dominance) is playing on the decline of XB1 IPs like Halo.

Javin98

Banned
Sales of Sony's PlayStation 4 U.S. Console Hardware in 2015 are down year-to-date (as of Sep-15) from 2014 by -7%.

Sep-14's 538K is simply one data point that conveys a comparable example around the same pre-holiday timeline to the $50 pricecut in Oct-15.

Because of the PS4's generally-diminished performance (on average), I believe it won't live up to such a threshold. That's why my prediction for this "U.S. Hardware Predictions" topic is 420K.
Hmm, you seem to get your data pretty easily from your posts. That and your username and avatar make me feel suspicious about your identity. I got my eyes on you. ;)

Mikey Jr.

I really do wonder how Halo 5 sold.

I will say, on twitch, it is doing EXTREMELY poorly. No joke, a week after it came out, not only was it out of the top 10, it was all the way down to like the 33rd game being played.

Even at launch, it only topped out at 22k people watching.

Not sure if that says anything or not.

Shenmue

Banned
Would be funny if NPD_george's "predictions" were exactly accurate come Tuesday.

Realistically though, I think he/she is just giving the wrong numbers purposely to throw off suspicion. Xbox will win it this month for sure.

Welfare

I will say, on twitch, it is doing EXTREMELY poorly. No joke, a week after it came out, not only was it out of the top 10, it was all the way down to like the 33rd game being played.

Real test will be HCS viewership. If it does shit then, well...

Maybe when 343 adds in Forge and more gametypes/maps, more people will stream/watch.

Would be funny if NPD_george's "predictions" were exactly accurate come Tuesday.

Would NPD numbers be done this early?

Shenmue

Banned
Would NPD numbers be done this early?

Hmmm... I really have no idea, but if I had to guess I would say yes.

My reasoning being that they provide reports with far more than just listing out the numbers right? Those guys gotta get the data at least a couple of work days before to actually analyze and type out very detailed and professional reports on the data. I don't think it's something they could just do Tuesday morning or anything like that.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
The WiiU will take October, you fools.

DAT MARIO MAKER LEGS!

It did when Halo 2 launched. OGBox was the best selling console in Nov+Dec 2004, but the PS2 was pretty close to it.

It outsold PS2 in April, August, September, November and December 2004.

This was really incredible, it sold only 13% less than PS2 that year.

4,606,000 VS 4,023,000

Is the winner of october likely to win nov/dec too?

Even if XB1 will win October, PS4 will easy win November and December.

There is an accurate range in this thread. Or at least it should be

RexNovis

Banned
Hello, NeoGAF forums. This is my first post on the NeoGAF, and I thought I'd kick it off by participating in this "NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions" game:

[PS4] 420K
[XB1] 360K
[3DS] 100K
[WIU] 80K

With my prediction I expect moderate, yet disappointing gains for U.S. Console Hardware on Thursday's data release.

October 2014 was weak for Microsoft's Xbox One, so the launch of the Halo 5: Guardians software SKU will likely more than double last year's sales, given how 2012's Halo 4 had a dramatic effect on Xbox 360 sales (270.2K in October 2012 bumped up to 1258.5K for November 2012)

However, from reports from this NeoGAF topic it appears that the U.S. Physical Retail launch of Halo 5: Guardians will suffer steep declines from the previous iteration (perhaps compensated by an increase in digital and non-USA sales?), so the overall effect on Xbox One sales will be far more negligible than its predecessor.

Sony's PlayStation 4 has a $50 price cut, but I believe that year-over-year growth will be tempered because it is offset by cooling demand for the product.

I expect Nintendo's Wii U to remain virtually unchanged from its September performance, as their 'Mario Maker' SKU continues to draw a niche but steady crowd to the system.

I hope that these video game consoles defy my expectations as the industry always benefits when both consoles succeed.

Welcome to GAF! Just wanted to say I appreciate your well explained analysis and I agree on most every accounts. The only point with which I disagree is the "cooling demand for PS4" as the recent Q4 shipment numbers show growth over last year with an incredible 4 million shipped. Now you clarified with this statement:

297K, but I was primarily referring to lackluster performance v. PS4 Sep-14's 538K with that comment.

I would argue that the reason September was much less impressive than last year is that we didn't have any new exciting AAA ups to drive sales like the OG Destiny did. The Taken King was big but Destiny's popularity has taken a heavy hit since its original release thanks to their handling post release content so it marks sense that it wasn't pushing as many console sales. This year we will see e the incredibly popular bundles releasing in November and that will likely lead to record sales for the console in that month. Now that also may decrease October sales a bit only to then see a huge burst of sales this month (November). Anyways, always nice to see promising new members join the discussion. Look forward to your continued presence in SalesGAF.

allan-bh

I disagree is the "cooling demand for PS4" as the recent Q4 shipment numbers show growth over last year with an incredible 4 million shipped. This may be true of the US market however just not the world at large so I'll concede that possibility but still doubt that is the case here.

PS4 sales fell on Q3 calendar year in US, still Sony shipped 0.7m more WW.

It's possible that sales are up in others markets, but maybe shipments are bigger in preparation for the last quarter of the year. I suppose that Uncharted bundle was shipped in september.

Javin98

Banned
PS4 sales down on Q3 calendar year in US, still Sony shipped 0.7m million more WW.

It's possible that sales are up in others markets and it's possible too that Sony overshipped PS4 in the last quarter.
Well, to be fair, Sony was gearing up for the price drop, so it was smart to ship more units to avoid shortages. Still, makes me wonder how the shipment numbers are higher than expected in Q2 and Q3 2015 when the US is slightly down YoY. Europe and emerging markets must be huge for the PS4.

Well, to be fair, Sony was gearing up for the price drop, so it was smart to ship more units to avoid shortages. Still, makes me wonder how the shipment numbers are higher than expected in Q2 and Q3 2015 when the US is slightly down YoY. Europe and emerging markets must be huge for the PS4.

Well we already the US isn't even half of PS4's market. Close to a third maybe.

I think Asia has become a big factor for the PS4's sales. There was a graph somewhere that showed that the PS4 was outpacing the PS3 and even the PS2 in Asia, I believe.

allan-bh

Yeah, I edited my post addressing that. "Overshipped" could imply channel stuffing and I think isn't exactly the case.

Javin98

Banned
Well we already the US isn't even half of PS4's market. Close to a third maybe.
Yeah, I use the US as a third of the PS4's global sales in my estimations and so far it seems quite accurate.

I think Asia has become a big factor for the PS4's sales. There was a graph somewhere that showed that the PS4 was outpacing the PS3 and even the PS2 in Asia, I believe.
Well, not in my country, at least, although I already know more people who own a PS4 than those who own a PS3 here. But yeah, overall, I would say Asia is a big deal for the PS4, aside from Japan. I know it's typically a joke, but I wonder how well the PS4 is doing in China. Also, the Middle East is quite a big market for the PS4.

allan-bh

PS4 is doing great in virtually all markets, this doesn't mean that sales on Asia in the last quarter are up YoY.

Lol, it's kinda humorous...But I have noticed a lot of new members lately...Did they recently accept a bunch of new members? Seems like a lot are in the sales threads lately, or it's simply a lot of junior members..I want to think in the past it seems we get some new friends around the holidays...

Top Bottom