• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus CEO: The headset and computer to run it will cost you ~$1,500

orioto

Good Art™
Yes, according to them. A 980 with 8 gigs of ram.

Now, that being said, if I had to guess that benchmark, it would probably be the card that effortlessly got the Portal Demo and the RISE Unreal 4 demos running at 120fps at 2550 x 1200 without breaking a sweat.

We still don't know what a true gaming experience using ANY vr headsets will be.

What i mean is.. the minimum requirement for an oculus game depends on the game itself.. What does a global minimum requirement even means..

I mean are they talking about the recommended requirement for something like a next gen game runnign at confy specs on oculus, in one year ? I guess not, it won't be enough to run a 2016 high end graphic pc game in 3D with 90fps etc.. And what about the games with simpler graphics, then it won't need that much power.. so what does that even mean..

Seanspeed

Banned
Morpheus is gonna be for mass market (and get people into VR).

Occulus is gonna be for better experiences (60fps/ 1440p) or whatever the panels are and same with Valve's VR).

Still not decided what way I go yet (leaning toward Morpheus).
Content is always king. While PC VR will have the technically superior VR experience, the main difference is that PC is where most of the content will be. You're gonna have a far larger variety of experiences to play around in on PC than you will with PS4.

Ferrio

Banned
This is also assuming you've never owned a computer in your life and have no foundation to upgrade from. A lot of people will just need to upgrade their mobo, CPU, GPU, and maybe their PSU.

I'm doing the whole shebang, been putting off upgrades until the rift drops. Going to hit the pocketbook hard heh.

First clean slate PC i'll have in a long time.

HowZatOZ

Banned
That will be the price for initial VR units, no doubt with the Morpheus sitting at around $400-$500 as well. This kind of technology isn't exactly cheap to make, and does quite a lot.

Tagyhag

As long as it's due to great specs then good.

VR is not something you should cheap out on.

I'm basing my purchasing decision solely on which one will have the best specs, I mean, why wouldn't you?

Fox Mulder

I dont really get the buzz around VR, but the first Gen stuff was going to be expensive.

If it's worth it and has legs, the price will fall in time.

Youre not rendering at 1080p. Youre rendering at the very least double that.

Hardly. Many of the assets, including stuff in the distance doesn't need to be rendered twice. The footprint for rendering VR (while removing the pointless stuff needed to make a 2D image better that doesn't apply to VR) isn't significantly higher. It's not that cut and dry, and the PS4 will offer plenty of amazing VR experiences if they get the HMD right.

People are mind blown by the heist demo. And that's running at 60FPS on the PS4, and to me personally, that demo is way more complex than a VR experience needs to be.

Apathy

If Krazy Ken wanted people to get a second job for a ps3, Insane Iribe (or Bonkers Brendan, still not decided) is going to make me get four jobs.

I kid, I kid. I end up spending about $1000 CAD when I do a PC upgrade, and that should happen next year sometime, so I can see the Occulus costing $500. That should at least get people a good setup for a while (specially if we luck out with a cpu that's a workhorse like the 2500k). It's not mass market price, but hopefully it will come down later on. Let's face it, our hobby is not cheap, but very few are.

Hattori

Banned
lol at people trying to downplay morpheus and telling other people how inferior/bad the experience will be.
It will be inferior because the PS4 can only do so much, now will it be bad? Who knows, I don't think we have much to go on to make a judgement on that department.

Afrikan

I'm initially only getting Morpheus, because I have a PS4 only......but to me that extra $500-$1000 or more for Oculus/Vive is totally worth it for the software and hardware (Omni treadmill) modding options.

being able to play AAA muliplat games that were not made for VR, with a Oculus or Vive, is gaming nirvana in itself.

people, this is the closest we are so far with a holodeck in our own fucking rooms.

If someone told you in the early 90's, as you were watching Star Trek, that you can have something similar for $2000? wtf, I wouldn't've believed it.

orioto

Good Art™
It will be inferior because the PS4 can only do so much, now will it be bad? Who knows, I don't think we have much to go on to make a judgement on that department.

You don't get it, it won't be inferior, it will have simpler graphics.. Which means nothing about the experience in itself.

KJRS_1993

Holy shit that price is crazy.
I get VR now has got a higher chance of being a success than it ever has done previously, but at that price point, I do think it's still just too soon.

I could never justify spending that much money on something for video games, and I play pretty often. They don't have a chance of convincing anyone else other than the extreme enthusiasts to spend that kind of money on it either.

Edit : The salt from Oculus fans who are trying to dick on the Morpheus being less sophisticated is hilarious.
Guys, nobody gives a shit. I promise.

Seanspeed

Banned
The footprint for rendering VR (while removing the pointless stuff needed to make a 2D image better that doesn't apply to VR) isn't significantly higher.
Haha, yes it is man. What doesn't ever get talked about is the cost of supersampling in order to do the barrel distortion. Oculus and Valve say it's generally about 1.3-1.4x resolution, so yea, that's an extra 30-40% power needed right there. Then you have to do the stereoscopic 3D, which costs a fair little chunk. And then you have to do it all at a *solid* 60fps with no drops(or more if we're talking Vive/Rift).

It's actually incredibly demanding.

Ferrio

Banned
I still don't understand how Sony is going to pull off decent VR on PS4 hardware. Are graphics just going to be very very scaled down?

They'll have to be, and I have no issues with that. Saddens me that other people do, but the same people won't even sacrifice graphics for 60fps.

Not in my experience over the last couple of years. I thought it would though. Perhaps in the beginning a little. But in the long run? No.

All we have to gauge by is some very early on work though. Some of the most compelling experiences for people have been very simple things. Again, consistency is more important provided the HMD is good. Well have to see what the software looks like when these units ship, but pretending that 1.) The PS4 will render "bad VR" is silly, and that 2.) Occulus's recommended specs are the bare minimum to render "good VR" is equally so.

Some of the most immersive experiences for people are hardly interactive to begin with, and Gear VR is rendering these just fine, without positional tracking.

This seems pretty in line with what I would have expected for a quality experience. We know the framerates that are required, we know the resolution being pushed. These devices exist in this same universe. They weren't going to be magic.

Steel

Banned
I guess the Rift will be free cause to build a half decent rig that will power the Oculus is going to be around $1500.....

rift.png

Source

Well, you don't need the monitor if you're going to use the rift, right?
;P

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. They are saying developers can choose to ouput at up to 120 FPS (I doubt any will). The panel is 120hz and frame will be warped at that rate while waiting for fresh frames from the console.

Strange. I'm not going to knock it until I try it, but an unstable frame rate in VR sounds like a terrible experience.

Sonson21

Banned
I see a lot of surprised reactions in here, so I'm curious as to what people were expecting to pay for this. I literally bought a gaming PC a couple of months ago just for this. Spent 1500 on it, to make sure I'd be in the green, thankfully I am.

They'll have to be, and I have no issues with that. Saddens me that other people do, but the same people won't even sacrifice graphics for 60fps.

All about art style. Something clean and stylized would be great. Some lo res version of a hi res game will probably just look terrible especially in VR.

espher

Did they just hand over the ball to Sony?

Wow.

I'm wondering if this is just strictly PC + Oculus, or PC + OS + display + Oculus. Depending on what they're talking about, that puts different specs in play, and makes it an easier pill to swallow for people who already have 'decent' PCs.

Not to mention that if it's the latter it's far more comparable to PS4 + Morpheus + TV, though it's more likely someone has a TV already.

senahorse

Why does this really surprise anyone? New tech (done well) is expensive. My (well my family's) first VHS player cost $1000, and that was in the 80's, our first x86 computer cost $5000 and it came with 1MB or RAM and a 10MB HDD. My first HDTV, cost $6000 etc. Technology like this is not going to be an instant success, it will be the second or even third generation of products before mass appeal can be reached.

Tagyhag

You don't get it, it won't be inferior, it will have simpler graphics.. Which means nothing about the experience in itself.

Bruh, as much as Sony will try to convince people once the headsets are out, asynchronous reprojection will never be as good as the real thing.

I'm sure they'll keep saying the term so it catches on with the masses like The Cell and GDDR5.

The experience on the Morpheus will be fine, great even, but it will not be up to par with Vive or Oculus.

Small gap? Huge gap? We won't know until then. But there will be a gap.

gdt

Content is always king. While PC VR will have the technically superior VR experience, the main difference is that PC is where most of the content will be. You're gonna have a far larger variety of experiences to play around in on PC than you will with PS4.

Just think of the mods and indie games that will come out. Practically every game with half a fanbase will have VR mods....its gonna be glorious.

Guri

What i mean is.. the minimum requirement for an oculus game depends on the game itself.. What does a global minimum requirement even means..

I mean are they talking about the recommended requirement for something like a next gen game runnign at confy specs on oculus, in one year ? I guess not, it won't be enough to run a 2016 high end graphic pc game in 3D with 90fps etc.. And what about the games with simpler graphics, then it won't need that much power.. so what does that even mean..

These are the minimum requirements for the Rift as a platform. So, to run at least a few games. Of course that future titles will elevate the minimum for them, but not the platform itself.

Haha, yes it is man. What doesn't ever get talked about is the cost of supersampling in order to do the barrel distortion. Oculus and Valve say it's generally about 1.3-1.4x resolution, so yea, that's an extra 30-40% power needed right there. Then you have to do the stereoscopic 3D, which costs a fair little chunk. And then you have to do it all at a *solid* 60fps with no drops.

It's actually incredibly demanding.

Well whatever magic they're using to get the Heist (not much moving, not too demanding A.I.), and the Robots demo (running native 120hz, not too demanding I'd imagine) to look as clean as they are with seemingly little trouble spells good things for games like No Mans Sky, and the majority of indy projects on the horizon.

I'm not saying the PS4 will power the latest Call of Duty or Uncharted at 60hz consistently, but it's producing very convincing VR currently, and I've no reason to doubt it can't do so later. No one is thinking about the simple stuff, they're only trying to imagine it with the most complex of games. Which I think is a flawed way to begin.

Gray Matter

I'm sorry to be skeptical, but I see VR not going anywhere, at least in the video game industry. The tech is too expensive, you need other expensive pieces of equipment just to use the damn thing, and the games, it will be years before there is something revolutionary.

Soi-Fong

Bruh, as much as Sony will try to convince people once the headsets are out, asynchronous reprojection will never be as good as the real thing.

I'm sure they'll keep saying the term so it catches on with the masses like The Cell and GDDR5.

The experience on the Morpheus will be fine, great even, but it will not be up to par with Vive or Oculus.

Small gap? Huge gap? We won't know until then. But there will be a gap.

Of course there will be a gap. Just as it is now between consoles and PC.

Along with that gap is a big price gap as well. And not exactly a gap everyone is willing to jump.

I have a 780 Ti, so I'm pretty set and I'm planning on bulging another rig with SLI cards. But not everyone is crazy or into VR like me.

They're obviously not talking about global recommended specs, but what to expect to get a comfortable VR experience. Ignoring graphics settings, there are baseline resolution and framerate targets that need to be hit regardless of the game itself, and those will require some hefty power. One of the huge benefits of PC is scalability in options to accommodate all levels of processing power, but with VR you can't really scale down like you can with a monitor. 720p30 might be cool for some people on a monitor, but in a headset it'd be unplayable

Both the Vive for example is 1080x1200 per eye and 90Hz. That's a lot of pixels and a lot of refreshes

Ferrio

Banned
I'm sorry to be skeptical, but I see VR not going anywhere, at least in the video game industry. The tech is too expensive, you need other expensive pieces of equipment just to use the damn thing, and the games, it will be years before there is something revolutionary.

You need a computer of decent power. A high end machine if you wanna go balls the wall. How has this been different from any other gaming related release on the PC?

Not really. They are saying developers can choose to ouput at up to 120 FPS (I doubt any will). The panel is 120hz and frame will be warped at that rate while waiting for fresh frames from the console.

That's sounds fucking horrible.

You failed to mention that the warping will only occur on 60fps games. Basically, either you're running at a full 120 and getting a whole new frame for each refresh, or you're running at 60 and every other frame is the frame before it redone with your current head position. Sony has already demoed this, and most people have come away with good impressions of it.

Linkup

$The recommended specs they released was a $600-700 build depending on if you are starting from scratch or not. If I know someone had the money I would recommend a system higher than the recommended specs as VR can use any extra processing power to improve the experience in some fashion. Seems like a good start and we know the price will drop over time.

Not in my experience over the last couple of years. I thought it would though. Perhaps in the beginning a little. But in the long run? No.

Are you saying that after the initial "wow" of VR wears off do the graphics start to have an effect on whether you feel presence?

Crayon

Is there any reason to believe that Morpheus will be 20-30% cheaper than its competitors?

A) its less sophisticated.

B) its part of a closed platform and can be subsidized by the body that profits from all new software sales on that platform.

C) assuming a 299 ps4, the morpheus bundle should not be priced over the 599 high watermark set by the ps3.

jabuseika

I'm don't want VR to be a mass produced sub-par experience, so I'm okay with the price tag.

All new great technology, is initially expensive.

Top Bottom