• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (I guess) Wii U Demo Station impressions thread

zroid

Banned
Still waiting to hear about the Futureshop midnight launch. It's getting close and I need to know that it's actually happening, damn it!

Heh, I'm still not sure if I'll go. If my Wii U gets shipped on the 16th I'll probably just suck it up for the one extra day. If there's swag, though...

Berg

Not even the Rayman Legends demo? (it's the only game with a working "demo" button)

I had visited a Best Buy a few days ago and got to demo Rayman, so I knew what to look for, the "demo Button". They all had one, but none of them were press-able.

codhand

Not sure where to ask, don't wanna start a thread, what games will be online Co-op campaign ready at launch? I've read Ninja Gaiden 3 but haven't gotten confirmation, is there anything else that will have full online Co-op?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Heh, I'm still not sure if I'll go. If my Wii U gets shipped on the 16th I'll probably just suck it up for the one extra day. If there's swag, though...

Just checking out the FS forum, looks like they're saying no midnight launches anywhere, because they don't have enough stock to sell, outside of the preorders, to warrant a midnight launch.

I always like attending midnight launches for the experience. Not like I'd be getting a lot of playtime bringing him a Wii U at 2am over picking it up at 10am in the morning. Oh well.

zroid

Banned
Just checking out the FS forum, looks like they're saying no midnight launches anywhere, because they don't have enough stock to sell, outside of the preorders, to warrant a midnight launch.

I always like attending midnight launches for the experience. Not like I'd be getting a lot of playtime bringing him a Wii U at 2am over picking it up at 10am in the morning. Oh well.

Hm, that's surprising.

Yeah, I mean, I definitely would have gone for a midnight launch if they were doing it and I were otherwise planning to purchase it on Sunday morning. Just slightly deterred since I would be getting my online pre-order anyway, and then I'd have to go back and return it.

Hiltz

When do they get new demos?

I thought it was said that retailers won't get new demo stations until next year. Unless new game demos can be downloaded to the stations, I guess Rayman is all we'll have for now. Dumb move by Nintendo to only have Rayman available so far. I wonder why they didn't go for New SMBU or ZombiU demo instead.

jlscool

I was just thinking maybe the demo stations enable additional demos based on date or something like that.

Just a thought.

Tmdean

Banned
I was just thinking maybe the demo stations enable additional demos based on date or something like that.

Just a thought.

My theory is that Nintendo is worried about hackers dumping the code in NSMBU (for example) and discovering Miiverse features that haven't been announced yet. So they won't release the demos until everything is announced.

I thought it was said that retailers won't get new demo stations until next year. Unless new game demos can be downloaded to the stations, I guess Rayman is all we'll have for now. Dumb move by Nintendo to only have Rayman available so far. I wonder why they didn't go for New SMBU or ZombiU demo instead.

I have a hard time believing that NSMBU won't be playable until next year(it's the launch flagship title since Rayman is delayed). The only way this would happen is if Wii U sells out so good that they don't feel they need to add anything to the demo stations for a while. It's early yet

rekameohs

Banned
Because digital buttons are better than analogue triggers for the vast majority of games.

I agree, but I could understand why a racing game fan likes analogue more. There's really no other way to play those. Other than that, I like the feel of digital triggers more as well.

Zhengi

I tried out Rayman Legends on a demo unit at Best Buys and it was pretty interesting. The tablet controller isn't actually too bad in my hands. It fit my hands pretty comfortably. I understand the placement of the dual sticks. I can see how it can be great for fps games. The touch screen was pretty intuitive as well.

At one point during the Rayman game, the AI takes control of Rayman and I use the tablet to interact with the environment. It was pretty intuitive. The game also takes advantage of the tablet's motion control with some puzzles requiring you to twist the control from side to side. This was okay, it felt like they were trying to squeeze that in as a gimmick more than anything.

All in all, I thought the demo was fun, but I wish I could have tried out the demo for other games.

1-D_FTW

Went to pick up a Google Play giftcard at Target on Friday. The screen was actually quite a bit nicer than I expected. As for the rest of my thoughts on the controller, I'll play nice and keep that to myself.

Shockingly enough, the store had 1 white pre-order ticket left. So I picked it up on the off chance there's money to be made on ebay. Not expecting it though.

Controller feels great, and the touchscreen is super responsive to touch. I didn't have to touch it any harder than I touch my iPod touch. Other than being plastic, it really feels like using a capacitive screen to me.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
You can't control how much you accelerate or brake with digital triggers. That's really the only type of game I'll miss analog triggers in. Digital triggers are superior in every other way.

Oh, so analog is basically how slow/fast you can move the triggers down type of thing?

Mrbob

I'm not a big racing game fan, so the lack of analog triggers don't bother me. The digital triggers felt fine.

Kerub

Banned
Oh, so analog is basically how slow/fast you can move the triggers down type of thing?

A digital button is either pressed or not pressed, there is no in between. An analog button can sense how much or how hard the button is pressed. That's useful mainly in racing games because you can accelerate hard by pressing the trigger down all the way, or accelerate softly by pressing it lightly.

kitsuneyo

I can't believe people are defending digital triggers. 2 analogue buttons out of 10 (inc click sticks) is a good option to have. Analogue is great for driving and shooting. It was a foolish/cheap move by Nintendo.

I can't believe people are defending digital triggers. 2 analogue buttons out of 10 (inc click sticks) is a good option to have. Analogue is great for driving and shooting. It was a foolish/cheap move by Nintendo.
I doubt it's a matter of being cheap, but I agree about it being foolish

Bah. Still no demo stations at any of my local retailers. Our Best Buy has been saying "We should be getting one next week"...for like the last three weeks. :/ However, our Target FINALLY took down their old Wii station so hopefully that means they'll be getting one soon. It'd be nice to try it once before release day.

I tried one at a Best Buy... it was a bit silly that they had "More about the Wii U," and half of the boxes grayed out. I wonder if they can update them over an internet connection automatically, to download the missing demos and descriptions?

Rayman played nicely, I was shocked at how decent the AI Rayman was at adapting to the situation. It'd have to be for the Single Player to be any good, but they pulled it off.

The controller itself was alright, it felt light of course, but something felt a little off or uncomfortable about my grip on the back. The screen was also decent, better than it could have been, but I think some people have overexaggerated how crisp it actually is.

CoD is actually a big deal.

382deb88.jpg

Digital means the button is either pressed or it isn't. Analog means you have levels of gradation between fully pressed and fully depressed.

Digital triggers for a driving game is essentially saying you can either have full throttle or no throttle, i.e. it sucks.

Ridley327

So theres no way to check out how the OS is like on these demo stations huh?

Not until someone figures out if there's a security code to back out to the front-end. It's really easy on 360 kiosks (just eject the game), but Sony actually has kiosk firmware that requires you to enter in a 4-digit code to be able to tool around with the system, and it's different for every firmware version. I'm assuming that Nintendo found a way to go even further than that.

cajunator

Banned
I really want to try the WiiU out but its not set up here yet.
Might have to wait for actual release.
Its so close now.

Because digital buttons are better than analogue triggers for the vast majority of games.

Digital triggers > analog triggers all day for me. It just takes less time to press them.

So wrong... you don't have to fully press, developers can have analogue triggers working as digital ones if they want, but the other way around can't happen, and in games that benefit from analogue triggers you are screwed.

imjust1n

Banned
The problem with reading all these people impressions is that people that are on this site love video games. The people on this thread love the wii u. I'm really interested in hearing people that normally careless about either. It's not like I don't trust your judgement I do. It's just hearing those type of people reacting to a innovating console it makes me feel better. For the record I already pre ordered mine, I'm a lover just like you.

Top Bottom