• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of all the bad videogame webcomics, which is the worst?

Syril

I have never played any of the Persona games, and I'm sure I shouldn't judge their overall quality after watching that video, but are the games really that bat-shit insane?

Some of the character portrayals in that are surprisingly accurate to the actual game.

I'd say CAD or PA easily, but tbh I can't think of any I read that aren't pretty bad these days.

Vidcons in particular took a nosedive in quality throughout 2013.

The Boat

Best goes to Awkward Zombie. She does a lot of self-deprecating strips and is genuinely funny:

comic331_zps0e179cf7.png
By the way, for years I haven't been able to access Awkward Zombie from any device. I always get 403 Forbidden. Anyone know what's up with that?

What do you guys like, or don't like about gaming webcomics in general?

Here's my list:

Generally DON'T LIKE
- The comic is about two or more gamers with commentary on current games or games industry culture (CAD, Penny Arcade)
- The comic reads like Marmaduke or Beetle Bailey, or some other abysmal newspaper strip. (Action Trip)
- The art is bad, but the jokes are worse (Brawl in the Family) [Sorry, Sometimes I really do like it, but generally not impressed. Good, but too hokey for my tastes]

Generally DO LIKE
- Great Sense of Humor (Awkward Zombie, sometimes Heijibits)
- Unique and fun (Games R Bad 4 U [images no longer on site.. boo])
- Cute (Gamercat)

Couple questions for you all...

1) Does a game comic need a punch line?
2) Does it need to be about modern games to be relevant or interesting?

I've had an idea for a game related webcomic and have drawn up roughs but never did anything further with it.. Fully intend to make it, but have been procrastinating about it..

Anyway, I'd like to start producing it, but would like to hear more about what you folks like or dislike about these comics in general..

Without having anything to show anyone, here's what I'm willing to share about it:

- It's not a gamers on a couch comic
- It's not about current and modern games nor does it commentate on the industry and it'll never be about anyone's personal life
- It really doesn't have a punchline or jokes at all, but the art and situations the character gets into should make up for it.
- Each 'episode' will span three short pages, no less than one page a week

I hesitate to say much more without getting busy on the damn thing, but I will say that I like Howard and Nester, science fiction, and Ren and Stimpy.

What do you guys like, or don't like about gaming webcomics in general?

Here's my list:

Generally DON'T LIKE
- The comic is about two or more gamers with commentary on current games or games industry culture (CAD, Penny Arcade)
- The comic reads like Marmaduke or Beetle Bailey, or some other abysmal newspaper strip. (Action Trip)
- The art is bad, but the jokes are worse (Brawl in the Family) [Sorry, Sometimes I really do like it, but generally not impressed. Good, but too hokey for my tastes]

Generally DO LIKE
- Great Sense of Humor (Awkward Zombie, sometimes Heijibits)
- Unique and fun (Games R Bad 4 U [images no longer on site.. boo])
- Cute (Gamercat)

Couple questions for you all...

1) Does a game comic need a punch line?
2) Does it need to be about modern games to be relevant or interesting?

I've had an idea for a game related webcomic and have drawn up roughs but never did anything further with it.. Fully intend to make it, but have been procrastinating about it..

Anyway, I'd like to start producing it, but would like to hear more about what you folks like or dislike about these comics in general..

Without having anything to show anyone, here's what I'm willing to share about it:

- It's not a gamers on a couch comic
- It's not about current and modern games nor does it commentate on the industry and it'll never be about anyone's personal life
- It really doesn't have a punchline or jokes at all, but the art and situations the character gets into should make up for it.
- Each 'episode' will span three short pages, no less than one page a week

I hesitate to say much more without getting busy on the damn thing, but I will say that I like Howard and Nester, science fiction, and Ren and Stimpy.

Some suggestions:

- Since you are putting your art out for [most] of the world to see, and considering the super intense culture of gamers, make sure you do your research, and put EFFORT into the content. People will rip you to shreds if you screw up anything related to their franchises, and depending on the situation, they might be justified in doing so. Just don't purposefully step on any toes, and don't be lazy. Treat your medium with reverant fervor. Be a mecca for gamers, and you'll gain the respect you deserve.

- Be unique. (No Portal jokes, no laser cheese, and no rampant cleavage surrounded by cookie-cutter characters). Make something that people will not only get a laugh or an interest out of, but something that they'll remember into the day... making them want to come back.

- Try out different art-styles on your concept board or whatever you use to draw, and go with something that's a compromise between stylish and artistically accurate. In my opinion, this is some of the best kind of art, and can really make you stand out in a crowd of webcomic mediocrity (or just art mediocrity in general).

Boogiepop

I ended up reading CAD for waaaaay too long out of habit. I finally stopped when a beer bottle ghost or something appeared and had the exact same damn face as everything else and I realized that I hadn't found anything that happened in the comic vaguely interesting in forever. I totally read it for way too long, but at least I eventually separated myself from it. Just so very crappy.

For all the people mentioning liking hiimdaisy and disappointment at her not doing the Persona stuff any more, definitely check out Cucumber Quest. Not gaming related, but I've been following it since the beginning, and it's pretty awesome, not to mention probably the prettiest webcomic out there.

Best goes to Awkward Zombie. She does a lot of self-deprecating strips and is genuinely funny:

comic331_zps0e179cf7.png
What's the joke? That a game localized to be set in America is obviously really set in Japan? She does realize that this series has been around in the west for 9 years now, right?

What's the joke? That a game localized to be set in America is obviously really set in Japan? She does realize that this series has been around in the west for 9 years now, right?

The joke is that they got away with it in the first game and its rather ambiguous "modern city" setting, but subsequent games in the series have introduced more and more clearly and unambiguously native Japanese locations and customs. The localization team is thus trapped in having to keep pretending it's America, even when there's rural Japanese villages celebrating Shinto festivals about yokai.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The joke is that they got away with it in the first game and its rather ambiguous "modern city" setting, but subsequent games in the series have introduced more and more clearly and unambiguously native Japanese locations and customs. The localization team is thus trapped in having to keep pretending it's America, even when there's rural Japanese villages celebrating Shinto festivals about yokai.

Apparently it even caused some plot holes.
Like the noodle cart owner in Apollo Justice. In the original three, whenever Maya mentioned wanting hamburgers, it was originally noodles, and that cart owner was supposedly the man Phoenix and Maya always went to to get noodles.

I know fans handwave it with the fact Maya eats a lot, so she probably wanted both hamburgers and noodles.

Im not sure they really got away with it in the first game. Maya and her backstory, Kurain Channeling and the Silver Samurai were kind of big signals that it probably wasn't LA.

Roto13

Im not sure they really got away with it in the first game. Maya and her backstory, Kurain Channeling and the Silver Samurai were kind of big signals that it probably wasn't LA.

All of that pales in comparison to an ancient demon trapped in a cave that a bunch of Japanese immigrants apparently brought with them when they moved to America.

A Samurai themed TV show for kids wouldn't be that weird in America.

And Maya could easily be dismissed as some weird pagan, since we don't actually see her village until the second game.

All of that pales in comparison to an ancient demon trapped in a cave that a bunch of Japanese immigrants apparently brought with them when they moved to America.
I dunno, that seems about on par with a long line of spirit channelers living in an ambiguous mountain range near LA.

And Maya could easily be dismissed as some weird pagan, since we don't actually see her village until the second game.
Eh, it'd be pretty weird for it to be filmed entirely in America.

Her get up is pretty clearly Japanese.

They brought a cave with them. A cave. With a demon in it. Across the ocean.
That's not how I recall it happening. Wasn't there two villages of immigrants with the nine tails people sealing tenma taro in a cave in the nine tails protected village? Anyway, this is really besides the point, the series has been in the west for a while. People should be used to this nonsense in Ace Attorney.

Yeah with a bit of suspension of disbelief, or being really open to just how culturally diverse the US is, the first game could pass for taking place in the US. The other games though? Hell no.

That's not how I recall it happening. Wasn't there two villages of immigrants with the nine tails people sealing tenma taro in a cave in the nine tails protected village? Anyway, this is really besides the point, the series has been in the west for a while. People should be used to this nonsense in Ace Attorney.

People are used to it. The comic is a -joke- and is lightly poking fun at a series that the comic artist herself enjoys. Jesus.

It's a pretty poor joke then.

Cool. It seems most people disagree with you. You don't find it funny because... why? You're reasoning hasn't been very sound. Everyone knows the localization tries to set the game in the United States. Yet the games have gotten more and more obviously Japanese. A comic pointing that out isn't funny because?

RetroMG

I actually like VG Cats, though I barely ever even go there anymore, since the artist never updates. It's not the best comic, but I enjoy it.

Nedroid doesn’t count as a video game comic, but if it did, it would win.

Worst? Probably CAD.

And while I think Awkward Zombie is hit or miss, the recent couple of strips about Ace Attorney were hilarious.

Cool. It seems most people disagree with you. You don't find it funny because... why? You're reasoning hasn't been very sound. Everyone knows the localization tries to set the game in the United States. Yet the games have gotten more and more obviously Japanese. A comic pointing that out isn't funny because?
What isn't sound about it? What don't you understand? I dont find the comic pointing out a Japanese game is obviously Japanese and getting more Japanese despite the localization because it's always been obviously Japanese since the first game released back in the west in '05. Maybe it wasn't to you, but surely by the 2nd game it would have been clear. I don't see what relevance popular opinion has here.

inm8num2

I haven't read some of these comics, but I've personally never understood the appeal of Penny Arcade, even when the comic was apparently "good".

Chinner

Banned
sonichu is the best comic. the highs in the character development, the twists that i never saw coming, chris chans love quest.

What isn't sound about it? What don't you understand? I dont find the comic pointing out a Japanese game is obviously Japanese and getting more Japanese despite the localization because it's always been obviously Japanese since the first game released back in the west in '05. Maybe it wasn't to you, but surely by the 2nd game it would have been clear. I don't see what relevance popular opinion has here.
It's satire dude

Top Bottom