• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueBlue

Well OW is my first Blizzard game. Whether the writing is campy on purpose or not, I like it and it's fitting.

This is where I stand.

Although, taking the comments about other Blizzard games into account, maybe it could be argued that Blizzard have created a world that gels with their writing to a greater extent than other Blizzard titles.

Overwatch is Saturday morning cartoon in almost every aspect I think. From the character designs, voice work, music, sound design etc. The writing doesn't feel out of place at all.

Maybe the same can't be said for other Blizzard titles. It could even be argued that Blizzard writing is indeed bad and they sorta unintenionally made it work. It'd be amusing if they're trying to not be cheesy, because they're failing miserably.

But I dunno. This is all coming from a relative degree of ignorance.

So, I've discovered my new favorite thing in this game: playing Reaper on Dorado Attack. So many sneaky little back corridors and flanking paths to use, and I've gotten three POTGs just in the last week or so there. It's funny, every other map when I try to play it stealthy with Reaper, I feel like I'm immediately spotted and lit up, but Dorado is just so good for me to play Reaper on.

Anybody else have any characters that they only play on one map?

Stevey

I dunno, the writing is dumb, but the whole game is pretty light hearted so it works fine for me.
Diablo 3's writing is the worst for me.

zoukka

I dunno, the writing is dumb, but the whole game is pretty light hearted so it works fine for me.
Diablo 3's writing is the worst for me.

Blizzard games work pretty well while in-game, the voice lines for Starcraft units are great and most of the quips in OW are good when you are in the middle of a fight. They ooze character and comic relief.

It all breaks down when they try to deliver a narrative though.

Apathy

This is where I stand.

Although, taking the comments about other Blizzard games into account, maybe it could be argued that Blizzard have created a world that gels with their writing to a greater extent than other Blizzard titles.

Overwatch is Saturday morning cartoon in almost every aspect I think. From the character designs, voice work, music, sound design etc. The writing doesn't feel out of place at all.

Maybe the same can't be said for other Blizzard titles. It could even be argued that Blizzard writing is indeed bad and they sorta unintenionally made it work. It'd be amusing if they're trying to not be cheesy, because they're failing miserably.

But I dunno. This is all coming from a relative degree of ignorance.

I agree. While the writing is bad, it seems to work better here than their other games because it is like a Saturday morning cartoon. St this point though, I don't think anyone is surprised at blizzard having bad writers, although I don't understand how probably the largest criticism of all their games being this they have never managed to fix it.

As for the voice actors, yeah some of the accents are so bad. The sombra one is the most recent one to make me cringe. I had to go find clips of the voice actress to see what she sounded like, she has no accent, and the sombra one just sounds like someone making fun of a Spanish person speaking English. It's really bad.

I agree. While the writing is bad, it seems to work better here than their other games because it is like a Saturday morning cartoon. St this point though, I don't think anyone is surprised at blizzard having bad writers, although I don't understand how probably the largest criticism of all their games being this they have never managed to fix it.

As for the voice actors, yeah some of the accents are so bad. The sombra one is the most recent one to make me cringe. I had to go find clips of the voice actress to see what she sounded like, she has no accent, and the sombra one just sounds like someone making fun of a Spanish person speaking English. It's really bad.

What? Did you look up the right voice actress?

ISOM

So, I've discovered my new favorite thing in this game: playing Reaper on Dorado Attack. So many sneaky little back corridors and flanking paths to use, and I've gotten three POTGs just in the last week or so there. It's funny, every other map when I try to play it stealthy with Reaper, I feel like I'm immediately spotted and lit up, but Dorado is just so good for me to play Reaper on.

Anybody else have any characters that they only play on one map?

Tracer on KOTH. She wrecks not having to stay on a linear path

Tracer on KOTH. She wrecks not having to stay on a linear path
I agree, and I think this is an underrated pick. I've had success with it in the past and still got chewed out by teammates for not following the Holy Meta. And when I see one on the other team in KOTH I know we're going to get distracted into losing. I wish I were better with heroes that could counter her.

But for the original question, for some reason Soldier just clicks for me on Gibraltar.

Plesiades

This Barbie Hacker tho.
Cwit-xZUoAA0md7.jpg:large

Apathy

What? Did you look up the right voice actress?

Yeah, it's carolina ravassa, she was born in Colombia but spent her youth in the US. From her film reels she seems to speak English with no accent. Her English with a Spanish accent doesn't sound like an actual Spanish person with an accent speaking English, it sounds like the stereotypical way someone would imitate "Spanish person speaking English". It's like the most common way people make that accent sound.

Apathy

I swear the ow forums are a fucking mess since the lgbt question at the panel. Like how can people still be that bigoted today. Angers my blood that inclusion too hard for people to accept

Does anybody have any suggestions on a good initial defensive setup on Gibraltar? It seems like the last few defending teams I've played tend to start too spread out and lose their rhythm leading to a steamrolling. In the last few games I've had there I've tried healing but it's nearly impossible with the team all over the place and behind walls and buildings or in corridors.

Is it better to start out together or even concede the first turn in the path to put up a more unified defense in the tunnel or at the top of the hill?

Does anybody have any suggestions on a good initial defensive setup on Gibraltar? It seems like the last few defending teams I've played tend to start too spread out and lose their rhythm leading to a steamrolling. In the last few games I've had there I've tried healing but it's nearly impossible with the team all over the place and behind walls and buildings or in corridors.

Is it better to start out together or even concede the first turn in the path to put up a more unified defense in the tunnel or at the top of the hill?

Not too complicated. Start with the high ground. As soon as you are one man down to them, pull back and defend them when they're lower under the bridge.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I thought there Junk/Hog were confirmed a thing before the game even launched? I don't know. My only issue with that stuff is I just hope Blizzard doesn't change characters to appeal to their insane shipping fan community. Bioware's writing really suffered when they started catering to their fanbase. The doritos DVA thing already has me worried that shit's happening.

Like Heavy/Medic is one of the most assumed things in gaming but it's not like Valve gave Medic a 'my boyfriend' shirt with Heavy's face on it. Like if it's something like Hanzo's gay then I'm more than ok with it. If it's suddenly 'Hanzo's gay and he just happens to be into McCree because our fans won't stop asking us to do that' then it's worrying.

I thought there Junk/Hog were confirmed a thing before the game even launched? I don't know. My only issue with that stuff is I just hope Blizzard doesn't change characters to appeal to their insane shipping fan community. Bioware's writing really suffered when they started catering to their fanbase. The doritos DVA thing already has me worried that shit's happening.

Like Heavy/Medic is one of the most assumed things in gaming but it's not like Valve gave Medic a 'my boyfriend' shirt with Heavy's face on it. Like if it's something like Hanzo's gay then I'm more than ok with it. If it's suddenly 'Hanzo's gay and he just happens to be into McCree because our fans won't stop asking us to do that' then it's worrying.

Of all the places to look for writing, Overwatch is not one to be honest. Do you need a background story on why Reinhardt smashes pumpkins? I mean, it's just a Dva emote.

I dont really care cause Mercy and Genji are like 99% a thing so blizz can do anything they want with the rest of the group.

Would be nice if Mei warmed up to junkrat tho ;_;

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Of all the places to look for writing, Overwatch is not one to be honest. Do you need a background story on why Reinhardt smashes pumpkins? I mean, it's just a Dva emote.

The dialogue the characters have are what makes people attached to those characters instead of Joe McShooterBob. It's why Team Fortress 2 has so much fan art and fanfiction. Because you can have dialogue and character without a massive narrative. It makes people get attached to the characters which is the same thing Overwatch does but I think Overwatch could go too deep with it. TF2's characters are still VERY vague and a lot of the appeal for people like that is trying to figure that stuff out and make it happen. It's less fun for people if it's just right out there and blatant about who has what kind of relationship with who.

Skii

You can either set up high ground and then drop down to the other side of the bridge when the attacking team tries to initiate. Or you can set up low ground just before the choke underneath. The key is to try and get one pick with your McCree/Hanzo/Widow etc. and then to clean up until the attacking team manage to pick you off first. It's also a great map for Reaper flanking so he could easily find a few spots to flank from and get the first kill.

It's not an easy map to defend the first checkpoint like Route 66 or Dorado imo. Too many easy flanking spots and routes of entry. And defending on the low ground at the checkpoint is suicide.

Laieon

I like the cheesiness of the shorts. I think it's deliberate.

Same here. Reminds me of Saturday morning cartoons, and that's not a bad thing.

I think games in general have bad writing though, there's very few games I would actually consider good in that department.

"saturday morning cartoon" is being thrown about a lot but i don't really think it's an excuse for bad writing. like i love the characterisation and the witty quips but if there's an overall narrative somewhere it's not very clear, and some of the character motivations are a little murky.

you can do intelligent but still very cartoon-y cartoon writing. just look at adventure time or over the garden wall. :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know, I thought Adventure Time got really up its own ass. Like you're thinking modern cartoons, but I think most people mean Saturday Morning Cartoons when Saturday Morning Cartoons meant... Saturday Morning Cartoons. Like GI Joe and He-Man.

Squire

Banned
That hate-boned for Blizz writing is as strong as ever.

The dialogue the characters have are what makes people attached to those characters instead of Joe McShooterBob. It's why Team Fortress 2 has so much fan art and fanfiction. Because you can have dialogue and character without a massive narrative. It makes people get attached to the characters which is the same thing Overwatch does but I think Overwatch could go too deep with it. TF2's characters are still VERY vague and a lot of the appeal for people like that is trying to figure that stuff out and make it happen. It's less fun for people if it's just right out there and blatant about who has what kind of relationship with who.

This is my case excactly when people are adamant that OW needs some sort of campaign. It doesn't because it's having no trouble achieving what it's set out to do without one. That said, there is absolutely a prime opportunity to expand the narrative here into something great if Blizzard ever wanted to.

And the new short is the first one we've had since Recall that feels like it's facing forward to the future, hinting at things to come.

Azoor

I swear the ow forums are a fucking mess since the lgbt question at the panel. Like how can people still be that bigoted today. Angers my blood that inclusion too hard for people to accept

Were people upset that there gonna new LGBT characters and maybe one the current heroes is one ?

Tovarisc

Were people upset that there gonna new LGBT characters and maybe one the current heroes is one ?

Answer to question strongly implied that one or more existing heroes are LGBT heroes. I guess that some just have already created identities for existing roster in their minds based on available information so this "sudden reveal" is causing waves.

Apathy

Answer to question strongly implied that one or more existing heroes are LGBT heroes. I guess that some just have already created identities for existing roster in their minds based on available information so this "sudden reveal" is causing waves.

And I find that funny. That people are fine if their hero conforms to their identities but if any one else wants to have the same experience they can't.

Reminds me of the "James bond can't be black" people.

Fancolors

I'm pretty sure they had stated there were LGBT characters in the roster way before Blizzcon. Dunno why people are reacting negatively now.

And I would imagine that by 2099 it would be more acceptable to be queer than nowadays :eek:

Tovarisc

And I find that funny. That people are fine if their hero conforms to their identities but if any one else wants to have the same experience they can't.

Idris Elba as next Bond. MGM, make it happen!

Squire

Banned
Just like it should.

I'm still mad over SC2 and D3.

Well, st least we're being honest.

I don't know about their shorts (they're perfectly adequate in the writing department with some occasional sparks), but I do think the in-game interactions are genuinely great and I'd say the same for the actors line delivery, too. The rapport between the original Overwatch members, the sadness in Widow's voice as she recalls Gerard, the warmth of Pharah's response when Ana says she'll keep watch over her...

Obviously writing a sequential narrative and everything that comes with that is a different, much bigger challenge, but I don't know that people are giving what we currently have the credit that it's due. There's a reason it's compelling and I don't buy that it's because people have no standards, poor taste, etc.

There a lot of games - games with actual, fully formed narratives, I mean - that I think have great writing though. I think "all video games have bad writing" is a mindset people slip into that ultimately just keeps them from enjoying work that actually is good if they would just give it a chance.

xaosslug

The win poses are absolutely trash. Pharah's skin is the worst offender.

Outside that they are cool.

wat? I love Pharah's! Get out.

and I like the win poses, especially when everyone on the team has them equipped. It's cool to see 6 tombstones. LOL

nah I have everything

;P

I've come to the conclusion that everyone on NeoGAF hates everything.

I feel that I'll be one of them soon enough.

it is funny. The honeymoon w/ OW stuffs, as it were, seems to end sooner than with most things.

Azoor

I hope Reinhardt and Torb turn into a gay couple just to piss these people off :p

RedHill

Banned
And people would say it was forced if a character was revealed and immediately stated to be part of the LGBT community. Can't please a bigot.

Tovarisc

I hope Reinhardt and Torb turn into a gay couple just to piss these people off :p

That would be quite surprising pairing, where Reinhardt and Zarya wouldn't be surprise. Their constant rivalry about besting one another in feats of strength etc.

Apathy

Roadhog may be a pig in the battlefield but is a bear on the dance floor.

But here is the brilliance of blizzard, they only said one or more of the heroes are part of the lgbt community, but people can't tell who they are. Why? because just like in real life, people aren't defined by their sexuality alone, and if you weren't told someone was gay, they would be "just like everyone else". Shocking, gay people are people first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom