• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAY2WIN: COD microtransactions keep getting worse - IW gives stat boosts to guns

Outrun

I don't want this future.

I don't care if you are fucking MS, Sony, Nintendo, or any 3rd party, including platinum/Valve/Blizzard.

If I am paying for a game, and you dare pull this shit, I am done with you.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Will Titanfall 2 have a community in a couple months though? 1 pretty much died immediately despite having so much hype surrounding it.

Think about this: if people who were disgusted by this just bought TF2 instead of IW, then yes.

It's like the chicken and the egg thing; get the game, hike the community up, and the rest will follow. Do nothing, and it'll accomplish nothing. ;)

This is disgusting. No way I'm touching this shit. If this doesn't have a major negative impact with the COD community then it's probably safe to say nothing can take COD down. This is so gross.

Schlorgan

Think about this: if people who were disgusted by this just bought TF2 instead of IW, then yes.

It's like the chicken and the egg thing; get the game, hike the community up, and the rest will follow. Do nothing, and it'll accomplish nothing. ;)

I can see a not insignificant amount of people returning it and getting Titanfall 2 instead.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
We first started with map DLC,

then came online passes (shudders),

and now it is pay to play/win (not likely you'll be winning when Timmy no thumbs steals his mom's credit card to get a one shot kill to anywhere sniper variant from a loot box).

This is why I might have to support Titanfall 2 because of reasonable business practices, but I also have to remember that EA is still behind them and that BF1 still has player base splitting map packs...

Ah, but TF2 I Respawn's IP. ;) They have a say on how it's handled and such.

I can see a not insignificant amount of people returning it and getting Titanfall 2 instead.

I hope it happens. Respawn needs to release a new demo of SP and MP when IW releases just to let gamers know that there's an alternative.

I'm kinda hoping TF2 succeeds since I want that whole "no season pass" thing to be the norm. I'd be willing to pay for some premium skins if that helps this cause gain more ground.

Nimby

Banned
IW feels like the worst shooter this year, and it still expects you to throw additional money at it. If you're on the fence about what shooter to get, IW is basically the same as Black Ops 3 but worse in some aspects. Typically the multiplayers feel different each iteration, but the movement from BO3 is the exact same system used in IW with a few tweaks.

Black Ops 3 movement system was already clunky and this honestly feels worse. Also tired of paying for shit map packs that split the playerbase, and content that clearly has advantages locked behind microtransactions and RNG boxes (third game in a row to do this shit).

I might get MW:R if it comes by itself down the road, but it's NOT worth it right now. I don't want this POS game when BF1, TF2 and OW feel so much better to play.

Ah, but TF2 I Respawn's IP. ;) They have a say on how it's handled and such.

I hope it happens. Respawn needs to release a new demo of SP and MP when IW releases just to let gamers know that there's an alternative.

I'm kinda hoping TF2 succeeds since I want that whole "no season pass" thing to be the norm. I'd be willing to pay for some premium skins if that helps this cause gain more ground.

It's already the norm. Really, only COD and Battlefield are the only multiplayer focused games doing it.

joebruin

Doubt it. The people who post on places like gaf are a small percentage of the audience. People shitting on cod every year here and sales still second to no one but gta.

Oersted

You get a free supply drop every 4-5 games. So it definitely could be worse.

I personally like the epic versions that change the abilities of the guns (turning dual pistols into dual shotguns for example), but yeah, the salvage drop rate is pretty garbage.

The carrot works

RS4-

So never.

Posted this in the Titanfall OT but got no response, what did they change from the alpha of Titanfall 2s MP compared to the full game? It's getting such great reviews but I really disliked it compared to the first.

I'm fine with never. Ain't giving them money.

Got no idea what's up with tf2. Didn't pay any attention after that beta thing.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I forgot how insufferable GAF can get. I'd put money on 90% of the people posting here not understanding how this system actually works. But CoD bad, CoD bad, I know.

I forgot how insufferable GAF can get. I'd put money on 90% of the people posting here not understanding how this system actually works. But CoD bad, CoD bad, I know.

If you know so much more than the rest of us, explain what it is you understand about the system that we don't.

LurkingFear

I told myself I was done with CoD when Black Ops 3 started putting actual weapons in loot crates. Nevermind that you have to own the season pass to even get a chance at some of these items. I'm fine with cosmetics but once you start putting gameplay altering items behind a paywall for a full priced game I'm out.

giphy.gif

Oh my god! This is fantasticly appropriate.

Creaking

If you know so much more than the rest of us, explain what it is you understand about the system that we don't.

You can grind out to get specific variants you want without buying microtransactions. You don't have to rely on the RNG. We don't know what the area are going to be like in the final game. The variants aren't that powerful. Important stat boosts like damage have considerable drawbacks to fire rate. In those cases, it's less gun > better gun so much as gun > different gun. You are at a very small disadvantage using the base weapons, but common and rare variants were easily obtainable in the beta. The variants beyond those were in most cases not necessarily better, but like I said, different.

mreddie

BF1 has the traditional season pass right?

I would rather have that than a stack of DLC at this point.

Overwatch has microtransactions but A. Cosmetic and B. You can earn them through gameplay anyways

I'm sure TF2 will following that route because free DLC always has a catch but I'll easily take that method over

Map packs
Gun skins
Guns from loot boxes
Skin packs

I think Zombies is the only thing that isn't overflowed with DLC aside from the maps.

You can grind out to get specific variants you want without buying microtransactions. We don't know what the area are going to be like in the final game. The variants aren't that powerful.

Sure, that's known. The issue was explained in the OP:

The problem here is that you need to collect a currency called "Salvage" to craft. From my beta playtime I got around 7-10 salvage per game. To craft the best (Epic) version of a gun, you need 5840 salvage (200, then 540, then 1600, then 3500). Assuming you get 10 salvage every game (and that's probably not happening), you need to play 584 games. A COD match takes anywhere between 7-15 minutes to complete - assuming 10 minutes per game, that's 97 hours to complete one gun.

Gorillaz

IW always was fucked from the start and a bunch of us called it after cod XP when they told us about variants. Black ops did this weapon shit but not until 2ndish DLC.

I still think Activision always planned on cod4r to be there competitive showcase of the year. This just confirms it more.

Creaking

Sure, that's known. The issue was explained in the OP:

That's ignoring daily bonus salvage, mission team salvage (you get a considerable amount from leveling these up), and duplicate salvage from supply drops. What's more, we don't know the salvage gain rate in the full game. It was a common criticism in the beta, so maybe let's wait and see how it changes before selling this apocalyptic narrative?

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
You can grind out to get specific variants you want without buying microtransactions. You don't have to rely on the RNG. We don't know what the area are going to be like in the final game. The variants aren't that powerful. Important stat boosts like damage have considerable drawbacks to fire rate. In those cases, it's less gun > better gun so much as gun > different gun. You are at a very small disadvantage using the base weapons, but common and rare variants were easily obtainable in the beta. The variants beyond those were in most cases not necessarily better, but like I said, different.

Yeah, no. Check this out: https://youtu.be/KasWKwOIJlY

So not having to reload when getting two headshots isn't anything to be concerned about? What about an SMG with a shotgun as a free attachment? Getting health back when killing an enemy isn't powerful? Yep, gotcha. We're all just hating here.

FYi; I master prestiged in BO3 and played it religiously until they started doing that Supply Drops weapons thing (yes, I'm a CoD MP fan).

And what's worse is that people who pre-order/buy the game specifically for the COD4 remake, will immediately make Activision think this is okay to do (overall sales of the new COD) this for future COD games. Fucking Catch-22...

That's ignoring daily bonus salvage, mission team salvage (you get a considerable amount from leveling these up), and duplicate salvage from supply drops. What's more, we don't know the salvage gain rate in the full game. It was a common criticism in the beta, so maybe let's wait and see how it changes before selling this apocalyptic narrative?

I don't know, I think it's perfectly warranted to have discussion and voice complaints about aspects of a beta/alpha, especially since Activions/Infinity Ward hasn't addressed it. As far as we know now the release version won't be any different. These types of discussions brought quite a few changes to the Titanfall 2 multiplayer.

PSGames

Yes! TitanFall 2 is not only better, but it has free DLC and CURRENTLY no microtransactions! It deserves to succeed.

Whoa had no idea about this. Loved the first one but thought I'd wait a bit on the second one. How's the singleplayer?

KJRS_1993

I've played Call of Duty every year since 2007 man. The series usually maintains excellent standards in its gameplay. To try and classify people's concerns as nothing more than "CoD bad" is both reductionist and completely incorrect however.

If this doesn't bother you personally, the more power to you and I hope you enjoy the game. Micro-transactions don't usually bother me either as long as they don't affect the game. In this instance, they absolutely do in a really bad way.

Not even Warframe, a completely free to play game, relies on forcing players to open lottery boxes, and there is no item in Warframe which requires days worth of playtime to acquire. Micro-transactions being taken further in a full priced game than a free to play one is definitely not going to sit well for many.

IW would be wise to ditch the micro-transactions and just include it in the game free. I know this sounds hyperbolic to anyone who is a fan of COD, but that beta just bad.

SeeThree

The variants aren't that powerful. Important stat boosts like damage have considerable drawbacks to fire rate. In those cases, it's less gun > better gun so much as gun > different gun. You are at a very small disadvantage using the base weapons, but common and rare variants were easily obtainable in the beta. The variants beyond those were in most cases not necessarily better, but like I said, different.

I agree these pay2win guns aren't shit. I didn't notice any Obsidian Steed or HBRa3 Insanity type stuff. I upgraded the RPR evo to the Ripper. It did a +4 on fire rate and some other useless shit I forget. If you got a stop watch out the ripper probably empty's the magazine half a sec earlier than the RPR evo. And its supposedly a top tier LEGENDARY gun.

Creaking

Yeah, no. Check this out: https://youtu.be/KasWKwOIJlY

So not having to reload when getting two headshots isn't anything to be concerned about? What about an SMG with a shotgun as a free attachment? Getting health back when killing an enemy isn't powerful? Yep, gotcha. We're all just hating here.

FYi; I master prestiged in BO3 and played it religiously until they started doing that Supply Drops weapons thing (yes, I'm a CoD MP fan).

I've seen that video like 3 times. It's not a very objective critical analysis, and many of his points aren't well thought out. Some of the things he complains about in IW can be applied to pretty much any Call of Duty from 4 onward. Can't tell what a guy has equipped? That's how perks have been since their introduction. Here's a response video that addresses more of those points and offers what I think is a fairer, yet still critical, analysis of the beta.

Anyway, no, I don't think the headshot thing is an issue. The only two guns we know of that support that perk are a SMG that has fast reloading by default, and an LMG that has more ammo by default and won't be doing much reloading to begin with. Add on the dexterity perk, and most weapon reloads are negligible.

Shotguns were absolutely horrible in the IW beta, and SMGs outmatched them in close range so an under-barrel shotgun on an SMG seems extremely redundant to me.

I used the healing SMG and didn't notice it's effect. I wouldn't bet on it returning a significant amount of health, but I'll save that for when proper testing can be done.

200_d.gif

GAF is not a hivemind leave shitty comments like that out.

Certain portions of GAF then. There's a loose culture, and I know GAF has a lot of Titanfall fans and probably fewer Call of Duty fans (if the BO3 OT is anything to go by), but there's a lot of ignorance surrounding this game and it's really tiresome. Feels like four out of five IW threads aren't discussing the game so much as shitting on it and talking about what games you're going to be playing instead.

CoD's method isn't quite as egregious, but on the surface this reminds me of Blacklight: Retribution's system. It was terrible and killed what was a great game.

Top Bottom