• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 1.2.0 released! Emulate your PS2 games at high resolution and frame rates.

一 大きい change in this release is the integration of the wide screen patches made by the community for the community numbering nearly 1200 games patched to support proper 16:9 aspect ratio. A huge thanks to everyone who has contributed for this and keep 上 the 大した job
Hell. Yes.

Wow did they really sprinkle in random japanese in there?
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Can somebody post screenshots of Katamari Damacy and/or We love Katamari?
Would love to see these games in HD :)

I wonder why Bamco hasn't released a Katamari HD
amacy
collection yet...

Zoc

I hope the developers add support for streaming to the Wii U Gamepad soon. It's supposedly very easy to add with the "libdrc" library released last month.

dreamfall

Man, I still can't play NBA Street Volume 2.

Everything loads fine, then the game starts and the audio starts skipping and the FPS drops like crazy :/

Profound sadness.

li bur

i would love to try this when i finally upgrade my PC. One thing i notice is, even though the graphical fidelity improved, the text or UI remain horrendous. Is it possible to improve the low res text or UI?

Spaghetti

going to try this out with mgs2 later, i do fine during interiors but any exteriors or anywhere with water at all brings down my framerate dramatically, so maybe i'll see some improvement with this build

i'm still getting to grips with the ideal graphical configurations

i think i'm using the direct x 11 plugin with hardware rendering, what'd be the difference in changing to software rendering? are there any benefits?

soul

Shit, my PS2 console died on me lately so I trashed the game collection. A shame. I could definitely play me some P3 or FFX again.

Blablurn

Direct 3D 11 Hardware / Custom Scaling up to 1080p / MGS2 runs just fine with 60fps most of the time

Yakuza 1 doesn't look as clean as MGS2 but runs in 1080p.

Both played on a i7/GT650M Laptop.

SparkTR

i would love to try this when i finally upgrade my PC. One thing i notice is, even though the graphical fidelity improved, the text or UI remain horrendous. Is it possible to improve the low res text or UI?

Some games have fan patches I think, but for the most part you'll have to live with it.

Dwayne

JEF JANSENS IS BACK!
IGSNvenl.jpg

(I don't know how to make nice progressive scan shots, it's either interlaced or squashed screenshots :( )

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Sooo Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 still has a bunch of texture glitching in spots and it no longer runs Def Jam Fight For New York for some reason and freezes after the logo. And all my other games run the exact same as on 1.0. Well this update does nothing for me at all apparently I guess besides easy widescreen patches for KH games.

Dwayne

d2Qgn76l.jpg

Looks OK!
Kinda glad these games work, Decathelete refuses to run on my PS2 when I rip it to HDLoader, and since it's PAL I can't run it naturally either.

scitek

Shit, my PS2 console died on me lately so I trashed the game collection. A shame. I could definitely play me some P3 or FFX again.

You threw your games away because a system that's readily available, affordable, and easy to be replaced died? You need a new tag.

RaikuHebi

Banned
d2Qgn76l.jpg

Looks OK!
Kinda glad these games work, Decathelete refuses to run on my PS2 when I rip it to HDLoader, and since it's PAL I can't run it naturally either.
Why don't you just burn it as an ESR disc? I think PAL/NTSC differences are overridden in that case.

Mononoke

Banned
So to be clear. I can buy PS2 games on Amazon, download this emulator...and my disc drive will read the games? Do you have to rip the discs or something using the emulator program?

RaikuHebi

Banned
So to be clear. I can buy PS2 games on Amazon, download this emulator...and my disc drive will read the games? Do you have to rip the discs or something using the emulator program?

It plays them directly, but you're better off making ISO images of the discs and playing them from your HDD.

You can play straight off the disc, but it's probably a better idea to rip them as ISO first.

No special DVD drive required unlike Wii games.

Grief.exe

For the most part the UI is a static, 2D object. So when you are rendering the game at a higher resolution it just ends ups stretching the image out.

Some games will have texture mods available that include a high-res UI.

Sentenza

I like this emulator and all, but it starts to feel like they should seriously consider revamping the user interface.
It starts to feel incredibly old and clumsy compared to some other emulators available right now, like Dolphin and PPSSPP.

I see all this hype for Persona 4 Golden on Vita. Is it worth it for me to buy persona 4 on ps2 and play it through this? Good game? Would be my first persona game or smt or whatever.

Buy Golden. Extra content, and I believe an improved battle system (though I might be wrong on that particular point).

Cobra84

I like this emulator and all, but it starts to feel like they should seriously consider revamping the user interface.
It starts to feel incredibly old and clumsy compared to some other emulators available right now, like Dolphin and PPSSPP.

Everything about PCSX2 feels dated. The UI is crap, no per game settings, the graphics plugin is awful and needs needs a replacement/rewrite just to support things like mipmaps (their "fix" is a ugly slow software renderer), and the controller configuration is a nightmare.

daveo42

Banned
Thanks for the heads up on the update. I'll need to load this up as I too got a few PS2 games from Gamestop. Sadly, no Rogue Galaxy to be found near my house, but I made off like a bandit.

Faabulous

Ace Combat games playable yet? Since my PS2 broke I've been itching to play those games, but they never worked on the emulator.

gngf123

Why on earth would you throw out an entire collection because of one dead console that is incredibly cheap and easy to replace, even if you didn't know about this.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So wait, Nocturne works? No shadow bugs? Did they remove all the shadows instead or what?

Hey guys, sorry this is slightly off topic, but what is everyone using for NES/SNES/GB/GBA emulation these days?

I saw a thread with beautiful screens from an emulator, but forgot what it was called.

Thanks!

You're looking for This thread

monlo

Everything about PCSX2 feels dated. The UI is crap, no per game settings, the graphics plugin is awful and needs needs a replacement/rewrite just to support things like mipmaps (their "fix" is a ugly slow software renderer), and the controller configuration is a nightmare.

I mean, due to this thread, I just downloaded the emulator and I am now playing Shadow of the Colossus.

I have no idea what you're complaining about.

I'm running the game at fullscreen, anti-aliased, up-rezed, at 60fps on my laptop, using a xbox360 controller with literally no problems

Moobabe

Ripping Rogue Galaxy as we speak. 360 control hooked up. This could be dynamite (unless the game is as rubbish as I remember)

daveo42

Banned
Xenosaga anyone??

Silent Hill??

Edit: I see some comments above... Xenosaga sounds playable, but has save issues?

So this runs good? It was a mess before...

I had issues with bumping up the AA without also killing the static filter in 3 a while back and gave up on it all together. Never tried 2 on there, but I'm sure it had some similar issues. I also had some texture/shadow issues too, so I'm hoping the update will help with that in some way.

Can't play Silent Hill without that filter man. It just doesn't feel right.

Grief.exe

How much £s would it cost to build a PC that could run this smoothly with delicious 1080p graphics?

The recommended price range is always around $700-$800 to create something that will be able to run games at high settings and stand the test of time.

I don't have as much experience in PCSX2 to tell you whether it is GPU or CPU bound, my guess would be the latter, as you might be able to cut some corners and bring your build down to $600.

Emulated games don't always run perfectly and there is some tinkering involved, so I wouldn't recommend just building a computer for that activity. Once you have one, you will be able to get into Steam and enjoy the most complete next-gen platform right now.

Top Bottom