• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2015 : 1080P 60 FPS on PS4 - 720P 60 FPS on X1

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
in the real world, ps4 version is 1080p whilst the xbone one is 720p.

just accept it
giphy.gif

I think this is the problem, you wouldn't have many people complaining if COD was lower res on Xbox One. At least I wouldn't. Because that's believable and the game may be demanding just by the looks of it. BUT there is absolutely nothing about PES that explains it can only be 720p on Xbox One. People need to stop with this nonsense debate, and prove if it actually uses all that power PS4 has. I saw some gameplay footage and no, Fifa 15 looks lot better.

Until then, this is purely on dev tools and fox engine.

Contra11

Banned
As far as i know there is no deferred rendered 1080p/60fps game on the XBO and i dont know if 900p/60fps is possble

But i have a question

Is it possible to change rendering technique when porting a game .. ?

Kysen

I wonder if the engineers who came up with the hardware are kicking themselves right now. Having to send out a team for each major release can't be cheap.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I wonder if the engineers who came up with the hardware are kicking themselves right now. Having to send out a team for each major release can't be cheap.
They probably told the suits what the implications are for the decision they are making and the price point they are supposed to target.

stryke

As far as i know there is no deferred rendered 1080p/60 fps game on the XBO and i dont know if 900p/60p is possble

Fairly certain Frostbite is deferred and PVZ is 900p60

But i have a question

Is it possible to change rendering technique when porting a game .. ?

Sure you can. Killzone Mercenary uses the PS3 engine but they went forward instead deferred. It's just cost prohibitive to do so and developers have to decide one is more advantageous to their goals.

edit - of course I don't know enough whether the difficulty of changing from deferred to forward would be the same between Killzone's engine and Fox. Maybe it's impossible with Fox.

BeforeU

lol that's not exactly how it works. They probably go and tell them tricks and tips of using the machine more efficiency. I highly doubt they actually work on the game, because you can't just pick up on a game at the end and start fixing it which is been in development for years. Unless they are straight up geniuses.

Rymuth

To you and the others few who quoted me, we are going around in circles, I don't think there is a 50% "real word" performance gap, I have my opinion and you have yours so lets just agree to disagree for the time being
Saying something is a myth is not an 'opinion'

It's a statment. Statements need to be backed by facts. You can't have it both ways.

It's interesting how the attitude towards ports has changed so much. When RE4 came out on PS2, everyone was overjoyed to be getting it, and no-one complained about how much worse it looked (and sounded). Now in the age of Digital Foundry head-to-heads, every pixel can be scrutinised...

Lots of people did complain about the shoddy PS2 port, you're remembering that incorrectly.

If we had the internet when I was 12 I'm sure the C64/Spectrum/Amstrad arguments would have been just as epic as they are now, these things have always happened as far as I'm concerned.

Chobel

lol that's not exactly how it works. They probably go and tell them tricks and tips of using the machine more efficiency. I highly doubt they actually work on the game, because you can't just pick up on a game at the end and start fixing it which is been in development for years. Unless they are straight up geniuses.

Tricks and tips? LOL. If it was that simple MS would send them manuals not team of engineers. You don't send engineers unless they're working with code.

Sure you can. Killzone Mercenary uses the PS3 engine but they went forward instead deferred. It's just cost prohibitive to do so and developers have to decide one is more advantageous to their goals.

edit - of course I don't know enough whether the difficulty of changing from deferred to forward would be the same between Killzone's engine and Fox. Maybe it's impossible with Fox.

KZ:M was only in one platform, however Fox engine is multiplatform engine, so changing the renderer must be done for all platforms.

mrb1972

Banned

It's a statment. Statements need to be backed by facts. You can't have it both ways.

I haven't seen any game that shows it is 50% better overall, so until I have its a myth - and that is an opinion

Percy

Banned
Tricks and tips? LOL. If it was that simple they would send them manuals not team of engineers. You don't send engineers unless they're working with code.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓← →← → B A at the title screen for 1080p.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maybe not the right topic to ask this, but anyone played both the PS3 version and PS4 version, and can tell me if there's anything else than cosmetic differences between them?

Paganmoon

I haven't seen any game that shows it is 50% better overall, so until I have its a myth - and that is an opinion

Tomb Raider: DE 1080p/30 on X1 1080p/60(ish)fps on PS4, just about 40-50% lower on X1?

You're really going to ride this one out, aren't you...

Ravage

Well i'm not surprised by the difference, xbone is crippled by its inferior design after all. What surprised me was how the info was given out in a straightforward manner with no bullshit attached. This is something exceedingly rare for developers nowadays and Konami should be applauded for that.

mrb1972

Banned

Did you went on without Internet for a full year and decide to post now??

Just trying to defend my right to an opinion! As usual anyone who suggest anything negative towards the PS4 gets attacked by fanboys.

Back on topic please

Your points doesn't prove it's bad optimization.
1) Different game and different engine
2) Probably because it's not GPU related, most likely eSRAM related
3) There's more to IQ than resolution (AA, textures, lighting...), Xbone version should have better IQ
4) They may be similar, but they're still not the same architecture. eSRAM is small, and if FOX engine use big frame buffers then it will cause some problem when developing xbone version.

I'm still just not buying that eSRAM could be causing all the problems here.
And yes I know the IQ is different, but 1080p-720p is still a 120% difference in rendering power, and we know that there are ways around the eSRAM's limitations if you use it right. (Diablo 3 is a good example of this).

My point was that if they really had put effort into optimization, there wouldn't be such crappy results. If you look at the lineup of AAA games coming this holiday, most are going to be very close or the same for X1 as with PS4.

-Lords of the Fallen is 900p-1080p
-AC Unity is aiming for complete parity
-We know Cod will be above 720p on X1, and was running close to 900p in an early build
-Alien Isolation will be 1080p on both.
-The Halo MCC will also be 1080p 60fps

I mean I'm just saying that is is very possible to get better results than 720p out of Xb1, even in 60fps games, and if they had really tried, then they would have better results.

jiiikoo

Banned
Just trying to defend my right to an opinion! As usual anyone who suggest anything negative towards the PS4 gets attacked by fanboys.

Back on topic please

So you're accusing people who have told you facts of being fanboys? That is uncalled for.

BeforeU

Tricks and tips? LOL. If it was that simple MS would send them manuals not team of engineers. You don't send engineers unless they're working with code.

Well I dont know if you have ever done any programming before. But as a programmer myself I can tell you, that you cant just pick up someone else's code and start working it that fast. It takes weeks to even understand whats going on before you make any changes and I am talking small programs, i cant imagine how many things goes into making a game. So no, sending engineers doesnt mean they pick up game from developers hand and start fixing shit.

If I can guess, they probably go through the problems developers are having and then tell them few things they could do to improve this and that. May be show them with few examples.

Jack cw

I mean I'm just saying that is is very possible to get better results than 720p out of Xb1, even in 60fps games, and if they had really tried, then they would have better results.

All this lazy dev talk is funny. In a perfect world this might happen but in reality you have budgets, deadlines, console sales, talent and team sizes, managment decisions and of course hardware bottlenecks where optimization or work arounds cost a lot of money. PS3 had to suffer from this too, where 360 was simply easier to work with. This time the differences are more noticable because there is a wider power gap between the two systems and the stronger one is the default lead console.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
And yes I know the IQ is different, but 1080p-720p is still a 120% difference in rendering power, and we know that there are ways around the eSRAM's limitations if you use it right. (Diablo 3 is a good example of this).

Xbone runs Diablo 3 almost exactly like a GTX 460, and that's after MS's tech ninjas intervened. That's worrying... disturbing even.

nynt9

My point was that if they really had put effort into optimization, there wouldn't be such crappy results. If you look at the lineup of AAA games coming this holiday, most are going to be very close or the same for X1 as with PS4.

-Lords of the Fallen is 900p-1080p
-AC Unity is aiming for complete parity
-We know Cod will be above 720p on X1, and was running close to 900p in an early build
-Alien Isolation will be 1080p on both.
-The Halo MCC will also be 1080p 60fps

Not all engines are created equal. Different rendering pipelines have different requirements. And if the Fox Engine works as intended on PC/PS4/PS3/X360 then why would they try to Rework their entire pipeline just for the X1? Not everything can be blamed on "lazy developers". Real life situations have many constraints and if it was simply a matter of putting a few more man hours into a project, big publishers have never been shy of doing so.

What's the point in recycling the same conversation, you guys cant keep on and on at me as much as you like - I will stick to my opinion thanks

Calling people fanboys is frowned upon here. If you're going to make an argument then try to use facts and logic and present your views, don't resort to calling others names.

Ramrock

Banned
PES15 is the perfect example.
It's 720p on the Xbone and 1080p on the PS4.
1080p is a 125% increase from 720p.

PS4 am 125% more powerful!
What's the point in recycling the same conversation, you guys cant keep on and on at me as much as you like - I will stick to my opinion thanks
No problem with that! Your opinion is still wrong, though.

Paganmoon

PES15 is the perfect example.
It's 720p on the Xbone and 1080p on the PS4.
1080p is a 125% increase from 720p.

PS4 am 125% more powerful!

No problem with that! Your opinion is still wrong, though.

125% is probably overstating the fact though, lets not give him more fuel for his "fanboys hate me" shtick. On PES it's most likely the eSRAM as stated earlier that's the real bottleneck.

Top Bottom