• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES series - "The Return of the King"

LAM09

How does the manager career mode work in PES? Is it pretty much the same as FIFA with youth players and such?

You have a youth team, which consists of fake players, and some regens (retired players reappear as youngsters). The rest is quite similar to FIFA, but I hope this year's ML is a big improvement over recent years.

MouldyK

Things like this need sorting - little bit of an immersion killer and it's sadly not a one off as seen similar on other keeper animations on rolls and dives.

I don't do social media myself but if anyone else could bring these to Adam Bhatti's attention through his twitter that would be great.

2 months to hopefully sort things like this.

Thanks

It's the Fox Engine, here's it being wondering in Metal Gear Solid V aswell:

e088rjQ.jpg

Pachimari

Are you kidding me... Manual controls feels so much better here than in FIFA. It's almost like Football Kingdom.

I love the indicator telling you where the ball is going. I can do some nice through passes and when they succeed it feels rewarding.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Are you kidding me... Manual controls feels so much better here than in FIFA. It's almost like Football Kingdom.

I love the indicator telling you where the ball is going. I can do some nice through passes and when they succeed it feels rewarding.

yeah man, I wish fifa had a manual modifier button too, so helpful

AlexBasch

You have a youth team, which consists of fake players, and some regens (retired players reappear as youngsters). The rest is quite similar to FIFA, but I hope this year's ML is a big improvement over recent years.
I just wish they weren't so fake though. :p

I have no problems with a mexican player named "Luis Ramos" instead of a mexican guy named MANBATOZ on PES, haha.

I fuckinggggggg LOVE this game. Not since the days of PES 5 have I enjoyed a football game so much or had so many WOW moments.

After playing this and FIFA 15 early access back-to-back I can safely say that the gameplay is PES this year leaves FIFA in it's wake.....IMO!!!

spwolf

Yeah the referee and stamina need addressing

stamina seems fine, ref better than before for sure... i wouldnt touch these things too much if I was them. Last year, refs called every faul, made the game annoying.

As to stamina, run less with best players :)

spwolf

Do option files allow you to change player faces like pc modding?

yeah... but faces are the best in PS4 and there arent option files there, yet anyway.

For PS3/XB1, you can do logos, faces, even supporter's chants for each team.

And PC has everything of course.... except for next gen lighting engine.

Bassun

yeah... but faces are the best in PS4 and there arent option files there, yet anyway.

For PS3/XB1, you can do logos, faces, even supporter's chants for each team.

And PC has everything of course.... except for next gen lighting engine.

Excellent, so if option files are enabled by Sony, we can add faces to players without them?

If Sony doesn't, I guess I'll have to fast-track my Xbox One purchase...

Snowballo

From Evoweb Forum.

Originally Posted by Snowball<br />
I'm loving this demo so much. <br />
But please don't tell me they took away the feature to kick using [] + / in order to shoot a strong low ball.<br />
Please tell me there is a away to fix it!
They did and it upsets me immensely. Fucking Konami and taking shit out. <br />
<br />
I also think the are alot of animations that heave been removed from pes 2014 like the sliding tackle to keep the ball. <br />
<br />
Pisses me off no end when Konami take 2 steps forward 1 step back. <br />
<br />
I suspect that for the next few years pes next gen is going to suffer. The PS3 is still the lead console and the game is optimised for that platform<br/>

I can't believe they took it away.

Why fucking Konami? Why one step forward and two steps back?!

Cess007

I think i've made my decision. PES this year, i've had more fun with this demo, that all the last year with FIFA14.

anthonyOA

So is it confirmed that Konami have made the X1 version inferior. No purchase here if so. I'll stick got the demo, play the other game and get it second hand further down the line.

Kicked myself for buying 2013. They need to win me over and that wouldn't be a good start.

Hasney

So is it confirmed that Konami have made the X1 version inferior. No purchase here if so. I'll stick got the demo, play the other game and get it second hand further down the line.

Kicked myself for buying 2013. They need to win me over and that wouldn't be a good start.

I've not heard of any modes being pulled. Graphics are sharper on the PS4 and there's no option to unlock the framerate so the replays and that might be smoother. But it is running on weaker hardware, so it's a bit harsh to blame Konami for not having forced parity.

Sou

Putting in some more time with the demo, and the gameplay is so far ahead of FIFA and a huge improvement over last year.

How this game portrays physics of the game, from the way player makes contact with the ball, to how the weight and speed of the player dictates positioning, makes both defending and attacking play a dream for players looking for an authentic portrayal of football.

The difference in speed between fast players and average players is given a realistic representation this time, and this give the game strategic depth because it is something you have to take into account in the way you set up defensive positioning and also how you approach tackling.

Ball physics is close to perfection, with the ball exhibiting a variety of speed and trajectory based on the kind of pass and shot you are going for. Finally you can play long and speedy diagonal precision through passes from midfield with your play makers.

The core foundation is in place for an amazing football game this year.

I'd like to see improvements in the camera work in replays, more pronounced ambient sound work, and better animation for goal celebrations to really give that atmosphere a boost.

The speed of the overall game is just a tad too fast, but the way slow build up transitioning into quick bursts of attacking play is well represented here. Just a tiny more bit of tweaking and this will push the game over the edge to be the best winning eleven ever post ps2 era.

Yet to see any info on ML, but I hope it is getting the same amount of improvement as we see with the core gameplay.

anthonyOA

I've not heard of any modes being pulled. Graphics are sharper on the PS4 and there's no option to unlock the framerate so the replays and that might be smoother. But it is running on weaker hardware, so it's a bit harsh to blame Konami for not having forced parity.
Not being funny but there are far more taxing games than PES 2015. FIFA being one.

I think most of it comes down to the scaling of the Fox Engine (at a guess). But I think I'm allowed to raise an eyebrow, especially when you look at the state of the MGS demo they released and the whole silence over the Silent Hills demo. This gen definitely feels like Konami have placed X1 owners in tier 2 and I'm just making sure I don't pay £60 for that privilege.

As I say the demo looks good (will play when I'm back from hols).

Also the option file situation needs to be resolved on PS4. That's ridiculous. Konami are shifting themselves in the foot here. Again.

Btw I'm not making this a console thing. I actually was one that would prefer they go console exclusive if it meant the quality would come back (PES 5/6).

Hasney

Not being funny but there are far more taxing games than PES 2015. FIFA being one.

I think most of it comes down to the scaling of the Fox Engine (at a guess). But I think I'm allowed to raise an eyebrow, especially when you look at the state of the MGS demo they released and the whole silence over the Silent Hills demo. This gen definitely feels like Konami have placed X1 owners in tier 2 and I'm just making sure I don't pay £60 for that privilege.

Also the option file situation needs to be resolved on PS4. That's ridiculous. Konami are shifting themselves in the foot here. Again.

Btw I'm not making this a console thing. I actually was one that would prefer they go console exclusive if it meant the quality would come back (PES 5/6).

Aye, I get what you mean now. I can see where PES 15 could be more taxing than FIFA, but not in the most noticeable things like in FIFA being grass and players. That being said, if it's not in the main areas, is it worth it?

Comparing videos, it's not a massive difference at least. I think it's most noticeable in the replay frame rates. But I'm with you on the £60 thing, I still might have to wait until it drops in price since my friends will be playing FIFA and my slight FUT addiciton. Still, compared to 2013, I think it would be a great £20-30 game.

Now to wait and see how much PC owners are going to be screwed with this "hybrid-gen" approach bollocks Konami have been spouting.

Sou

Konami is a Japanese company, and with X1 selling abysmal numbers in Japan, it is only logical to place X1 as a tier 2 platform. Winning eleven fans are historically on the Playstation as well.

anthonyOA

Aye, I get what you mean now. I can see where PES 15 could be more taxing than FIFA, but not in the most noticeable things like in FIFA being grass and players. That being said, if it's not in the main areas, is it worth it?

Comparing videos, it's not a massive difference at least. I think it's most noticeable in the replay frame rates. But I'm with you on the £60 thing, I still might have to wait until it drops in price since my friends will be playing FIFA and my slight FUT addiciton. Still, compared to 2013, I think it would be a great £20-30 game.

Now to wait and see how much PC owners are going to be screwed with this "hybrid-gen" approach bollocks Konami have been spouting.
Yep. Still a bit wary but the signs look good ofcourse.
Konami is a Japanese company, and with X1 selling abysmal numbers in Japan, it is only logical to place X1 as a tier 2 platform. Winning eleven fans are historically on the Playstation as well.
True, I can accept that. But, I guess I'll wait until next year when I have a PS4 for Konami and Capcom games.
I have not enjoyed a football game this much since PS2 PES.
Finally the King is truly back.

I can't tell you how much of a PES/ISS fanboy I was. Even ISS2000 on the n64 (played right through the hilarious RPG style be-a-player mode). Really want this to be the come back game.

Hasney

I can't tell you how much of a PES/ISS fanboy I was. Even ISS2000 on the n64 (played right through the hilarious RPG style be-a-player mode). Really want this to be the come back game.

Oh man, I modded my Wii and leaned about Virtual Console ROM injection just to be able to play ISS 2000 again. That was such a fantastic game.

Arnie

Downloading now. Please bring back the PES 4/5 goodness. Please.

Thought the FIFA demo was poop.

If this doesn't grab me I'll be without a football game this year.

Certinty

Overall I think the gameplay feels better than FIFA 15. However the animations are no where near as good. Taking into account the online sucks in PES and the licencing issues as well I'll opt for FIFA 15 instead then get this when it's considerably cheaper. Either way still a massive step in the right direction for PES given the mess that last year's game was.

Handy Fake

You just need a little bit of lift ;)

JoyousShallowJerboa.gif

Peter Schmeichel would never have been beaten at his near post.

Mind, I'm a Sunderland supporter. Being a "Sunderland supporter" and "watching football" are two completely separate entities at the minute.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
stamina seems fine, ref better than before for sure... i wouldnt touch these things too much if I was them. Last year, refs called every faul, made the game annoying.

As to stamina, run less with best players :)

I do mate. I barely had Bale do anything, as I was on the defence with my back four and somehow within 30 minutes he was at quarter stamina.

Hasney

I do mate. I barely had Bale do anything, as I was on the defence with my back four and somehow within 30 minutes he was at quarter stamina.

Bump it up to a 10 minute half length and it seems much better.

Peter Schmeichel would never have been beaten at his near post.

Mind, I'm a Sunderland supporter. Being a "Sunderland supporter" and "watching football" are two completely separate entities at the minute.

As a Leeds fan, I can empathize.

Gurish

As someone who skipped PRO for the entire PS3 gen because it was so bad I can say this with a fucking confidence: THE KING IS BACK!!

I've just played it on PS4 and it feels so good, it's just like old PRO, I see no reason why anyone that liked old PRO wont like this either, they captured the old magic perfectly.

I liked FIFA 15 demo as well and it felt to me like the first FIFA i could love, but PRO 15 is just on another level, in any other year i would choose FIFA15 without hesitation after PRO became so bad, but this year just when FIFA started to nail it, PRO came back to take the throne!

Snowballo

Just shoot and and back on the stick. ;)

Happy to hear that but why don't keep the square + triangle stuff? I just tried it and it is not as easy as it was. Do you mean that after I pressed square I have to pull the analog stick opposite to the goal direction?

-> [] <- ?

Anyway in PES 2014 it was possible to use triangle to smash a head shot to the ground instead of targeting directly the goal or to smash a volley to the ground during a shot too.

flashmouth

Neo Member
I hope they also improve Master League (offline), I almost only buy PES because of that mode, although it's basically the same story every year.
I thought it got casualized over the past years and was totally dumbed-down in 2014 , I missed a lot of stuff. Deeper ML with that gameplay would be super sweet.

Sou

Happy to hear that but why don't keep the square + triangle stuff? I just tried it and it is not as easy as it was. Do you mean that after I pressed square I have to pull the analog stick opposite to the goal direction?

-> [] <- ?

Anyway in PES 2014 it was possible to use triangle to smash a head shot to the ground instead of targeting directly the goal or to smash a volley to the ground during a shot too.

There are 3 types of shooting controls now if you go into edit personal data. The 3 types are Basic, Advanced, and Manual. Changing it to advanced seems to let you control the shots more, and pulling back on the stick after setting the power seems to give you a shot low to the ground.

Played a few games and almost immediately preferred it to this years FIFA (which I gave a good go via EA Access), however it looks like I'll be sticking with FIFA 14 for another year, as I just can't get over how last gen this game looks. Presentation sucks as usual and the in-game graphics just don't look X1-PS4 worthy to me, which I hope is a result of this being an early build. No doubt the commentary will be the same as it ever was.

I really think Konami need to switch to a 2 year release schedule, as this team clearly don't have the ability to drag this series into the modern age in the space of a year.
Shame, as I felt FIFA really dropped the ball this year, so with this being the first PES for the new gen, it was all their for Konami to make a great impression. As it is, I wouldn't feel comfortable paying more than £25 for this.

Hasney

Seriously, look up the skills. They're more useful than this than any football game I remember.

That boomerang trap is ridiculous.

Snowballo

There are 3 types of shooting controls now if you go into edit personal data. The 3 types are Basic, Advanced, and Manual. Changing it to advanced seems to let you control the shots more, and pulling back on the stick after setting the power seems to give you a shot low to the ground.

I'm using the manual shot. I will try to low shot as you suggested me. Thank you.

Hasney

Seriously, how do I do tricks?

Pause the game and look at the command list. Some of them are tricky, like the roulette now involves holding the R stick in the direction you want to go and then moving the left stick in that direction.

I think it's best that they are hard, since they're hard to pull off in real life, but they're really powerful in the right situations.

TIP: The rainbow flick takes some time to happen after hitting R3 twice, so make sure you've left enough time.

Top Bottom