• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES series - "The Return of the King"

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm not getting Fifa at least till i read PES reviews. The gameplay in the demo is fantastic but if the netcode is not up to par i'll stick to Fifa.

Don't fuck this up Konami.

Can't see them fixing online too much. I'm not an online player on any game, so this doesn't bother me personally.

abuC

I'm a football noob, but I've played both demos and like both games, which one of the franchises typically has the better single player career/franchise mode for managing a team?

SpaceHorror

I'm a football noob, but I've played both demos and like both games, which one of the franchises typically has the better single player career/franchise mode for managing a team?

FIFA definitely has the better career mode. It's where I spend 90% of my time playing FIFA.

Master League was pretty stripped down in PES 14 from what I've played, but if they throw all of its features back in for 15 it's pretty fun in its own unique way. However, if you like the gameplay of both and it rests on career mode get FIFA.

Well after playing the demo over the weekend I'm in the middle. It does some thing right and some things just irk me. Graphics are pretty nice, especial during the close ups, and the basic look and feel of a game of football are in place.

But a lot of the stuff that makes me frustrated with PES are still in place. First, the back line defense for both you and the AI are just a mess. They don't mark runs correctly, they don't step up to promote offside calls, they get beat by long through balls all game long, they jog to catch up to an attacker that beat them...

Your goal keeper is just bad at his job, If the AI gets a good shot on goal, it is almost a sure thing. But the AI keeper seems to always be in top form. Most goals against the AI seem to come from breakaways, rebounds, or deflections.

Then there is the tackling. I have no idea why if the AI performs a standing tackle on you the ball always seem to either go right to one of their teammates, or it goes a few feet away from the player you are controlling but you are unable to chase the ball down because the game delays your movement for a second or two, allowing the AI player to gain possession of the ball.

The balls played in the air nee a lot of work. It's just two players stand completely still, lock next to each other waiting for the ball to get to them. There seems to be no fighting for position.

And finally, your shots on goal seem to always be just inches wide of the post, or routine saves for the keeper. Unless its a volley shot, then those go just inches over the top of the goal.

I'm not a huge fan of this years FIFA demo either, but if I had to pick the game I more enjoy playing, it would have to be FIFA right now.

From the demo.
iviqb69XhFfZ7.jpg

Hasney

If you want to play offside trap, enable it in the options or activate it yourself. It's not automatic, it's a strategy.

How's that? Are you in HK, or are you thinking of picking up some PSN credit for that store?

I'm in the UK. Xbox One allows you to switch regions on the fly, so I add HK money to my GT, switch region, purchase game and save lots of money. Got Destiny: Digital Guardian Edition for £42, which is just over a 50% saving if I'd bought it on the UK store. PES will cost around £26 I think.

Sou

Thanks for the tip.

Normally, better players will set offside trap to a manual control, as leaving it to the CPU can be unpredictable at times.

I have not figured out how to do it in 2015 though.

Many of the other issues you are seeing can be remedied with more time to understand the game. For example, you can have better control of shot placement if you change the control type to advance.

The problems you have with tackling players can be improved if you come up with a defensive plan. Remember that depending on the opposing team's attacking style, they may have supporting players behind the ball carrier. Since normally you are facing away from your own goal, a successful tackle is going to result in the ball going to supporting players behind. Usually in this situation, delaying your tackle should force the opposing play to try a pass, which gives you a chance to intercept or tackle the receiving player who may not have supporting players behind.

The way this game represents this kind of real life dynamic is the reason why I have such high praise for this year's game.

Love the Japanese demo and am seriously thinking about cancelling Fifa 15 and just waiting. Is PES 2015 on PS4 significantly better than the PS3 version?

Lyng

Many of the other issues you are seeing can be remedied with more time to understand the game. .

And this is the main difference currently. The AI reacts to your gameplan and the controls get better with you getting better.
In Fifa it all feels so lacking. The AI is just shit on World class, with you changing formation etc having zero impact what so ever.

Jack cw

Love the Japanese demo and am seriously thinking about cancelling Fifa 15 and just waiting. Is PES 2015 on PS4 significantly better than the PS3 version?

Yes. Better lighting, visuals, animations and 60 fps locked. If you have the option go for the 1080p version of PS4... I tried PES14 on my TV and it looks like shit honestly. Loading times are also way faster on current gen. And of course, playing this game with DS4 is a true revelation.

Yes. Better lighting, visuals, animations and 60 fps locked. If you have the option go for the 1080p version of PS4... I tried PES14 on my TV and it looks like shit honestly. Loading times are also way faster on current gen. And of course, playing this game with DS4 is a true revelation.

Ok, thanks, will check the PS4 demo out tomorrow (hopefully!). What are the visuals like in comparison with Fifa 15 PS4? The videos I have seen online don't look too great tbh.

The player models are good but I find the visuals in the demo to be a bit meh, the lighting isn't that great and it seems to lack sharpness. If they introduce a proper 2 v 2 mode I will be there day one though.

Jack cw

Ok, thanks, will check the PS4 demo out tomorrow (hopefully!). What are the visuals like in comparison with Fifa 15 PS4? The videos I have seen online don't look too great tbh.

Personally, the visuals and especially the lighting and level of detail is better in PES. Both FIFA and PES have low res textures though but overall a huge upgrade to last gen. Player ID of star players is way better in PES. You recognize Ronaldo, Ribery, Messi and all immediately. Ironically, the animations are better in PES this time around, as well as the facial animations. They do look silly sometimes. Both games look good, and PES might have the better engine, but both lack proper cloth physics for example, so there is a lot of room for improvements.

Personally, the visuals and especially the lighting and level of detail is better in PES. Both FIFA and PES have low res textures though but overall a huge upgrade to last gen. Player ID of star players is way better in PES. You recognize Ronaldo, Ribery, Messi and all immediately. Ironically, the animations are better in PES this time around, as well as the facial animations. They do look silly sometimes. Both games look good, and PES might have the better engine, but both lack proper cloth physics for example, so there is a lot of room for improvements.

Great - do you think it's best just to wait and get PES 2015 instead of Fifa 15? I switched to Fifa a good few years back, but still play with PES 'Controls' (Square for shooting etc) and have waited for the day Konami get their act together. The PS3 demo of Winning Eleven 2015 is brilliant imo.

Jack cw

fluid formations? is that some kind of feature?

what does it mean.
You can choose a preset of formations and player behavior in tactics relative to the game situation. Your team behaves different when in possession and attack and change formation and player marking when the opposition is attacking. Its like a real time formation that adapts to the situation. Pretty nice actually.
Great - do you think it's best just to wait and get PES 2015 instead of Fifa 15? I switched to Fifa a good few years back, but still play with PES 'Controls' (Square for shooting etc) and have waited for the day Konami get their act together. The PS3 demo of Winning Eleven 2015 is brilliant imo.

I guess I get both if I manage to find FIFA (physical) for less than 50 EUR. But this time I'm not really sold on FIFA. I dont like the gameplay and robotic animations and floaty physics. I mean, there are a few games coming out, so the time to PES release wont be that long.

You can choose a preset of formations and player behavior in tactics relative to the game situation. Your team behaves different when in possession and attack and change formation and player marking when the opposition is attacking. Its like a real time formation that adapts to the situation. Pretty nice actually.

I guess I get both if I manage to find FIFA (physical) for less than 50 EUR. But this time I'm not really sold on FIFA. I dont like the gameplay and robotic animations and floaty physics. I mean, there are a few games coming out, so the time to PES release wont be that long.

Yep, may buy and enjoy Fifa for the 6 long weeks until PES 2015 is released. I just hope Konami don't speed up the game for the full release.

Snowballo

Fantastic, fantastic game on the PS3 - I hope they keep the pace of the game the same for the full release.

Totally agree.
I've it on PS4 but tried on PS3 too.
I played both PES 2014 and recent Winning Eleven Aoki Samurai No Chousen on PS3, and this demo is even better. They did a great work imo.

Loving this demo, wish it was released tomorrow instead of FIFA.

Yeah, same here. I got FIFA15, but man, it's really boring. I had forgotten how boring a season is without Champions League. That's obviously not the only reason FIFA is boring, but it certainly doesn't help.

I doubt I'll play much even if PES2015 is 7 weeks away.

Had a great time with the demo tonight.

Some absolutely cracking matches.

Couple of issues still remain. Passing from a bye kick? How do you get it to your wide men accurately.

Also from hands kick by GK seems to go high a lot of the time.

The GK has also spared out a couple of times and cost me when back passing.

The GK also palms everything straight into the box. Scored a lot from that.

The pitch is awful and the nets are worse.

I know that sounded very negative but the game is superb.

Curufinwe

Downloading now.

Only played a half but this is light years ahead of PES2014 on PS3. And they finally let you skip to the beginning or end of replays again . I feel like that's been missing since PES6.

What camera settings are you guys using? I raised zoom to 3, height to 8 and angle to 5.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Can't wait to try the demo tomorrow, stuck with PES through the last gen because even bad PES is better than any Fifa imo. Being forced to play Fifa 14 on PS4 for a year confirmed that my opinion wasn't just fanboyism, after a while I really, legitimately fucking hated it (especially coming from PES 13 which I thought was the best football game since PES 5/6)

Hasney

You don't need any tools to download it or any specific browser. It's there in the options, download SD or HD from a Facebook video.

joaomgcd

Am I the only one that is totally frustrated with them STILL only allowing 6 replays to be shown in the match highlights? And really short replays for that matter. And for each play, there's a third, useless replay they always show of a close up of a player that doesn't even play until the play actually finishes but fades out too early. I can understand memory being an issue in the PS2/Xbox days, but now? It baffles me why they still do this.

I really like the Fifa 15 replay features from the demo, like super slowmotion, pseudo-on-the-fly-editing and all you can eat highlights, but I like the gameplay on PES much better. I wish they would just copy this stuff from Fifa :p

Top Bottom