• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES series - "The Return of the King"

feel

Just realized R1+L1 and the stick in the direction the ball is travelling when receiving lets you let the ball run through your legs and then chase it like in the old games (it used to be just R1 and the direction), awesome!! That had been pissing me off, I hate tossing the ball from my keeper to a wide open RB/LB and having him touch it a couple of times before starting the run instead of just lettting it get past him.

Returners

Just realized R1+L1 and the stick in the direction the ball is travelling when receiving lets you let the ball run through your legs and then chase it like in the old games (it used to be just R1 and the direction), awesome!! That had been pissing me off, I hate tossing the ball from my keeper to a wide open RB/LB and having him touch it a couple of times before starting the run instead of just lettting it get past him.

R1 + direction before trapping ball is always "First Touch"(heh, FIFA 2005's feature) isn't it?

This year really is good, but I can't seem to get FIFA guys to try it out. And I feel like it's a big console war all over again.

dakun

so the last full PES i played was PES 2008.. i was a full on "FIFA LOL" person before that.. then i switched over to FIFA after the decline in quality of PES/rise in quality of FIFA and never regretted it. Only ever played the demos of PES after that which in my opinion where constantly worse than anything EA put out starting from FIFA 10.

so i played the demo of PES 15 today and i'm torn between "this is good" and "this is not good enough".
IMO this is a great improvement to the games they put out the last 5 years. I like the gameplay with the exception of the whole defensive game. Tackling is broken imo especially in context of body, weight etc.. i wonder if it's just me being used to FIFA. Also didn't like the Ref AI but Fifa is just as dumb in that category.
I like the passing system and the realistic look of the game. Also, though i always knew this, i feel like there is more variety in each match compared to FIFA which tends to favor fewer play styles.

I have FIFA pre-ordered and it will arrive tomorrow. And i know i'll have a blast with it. But i'm really tempted to get back into PES at least when it's cheaper in 2-3 months.

If i start enjoying PES more than FIFA i would consider doing a switch for PES 16. My biggest problem would be convincing my friends and family to switch over too.. and that's really the most crucial part of doing this switch.
Although it happened 5 years ago when just about everyone i knew suddenly switched to FIFA, i feel like this time it would be much harder to convince people as long as there is nothing fundamentally wrong with FIFA (and there really isn't year over year)

Considering the failed attempt of Konami last gen i feel like this is a great way to start this generation for them.

liger05

This is the first PES game I haven't turned off after 10 mins since the PS2. I really like it and to me it much more resembles what a football match is like compared to fifa.

The AI need to make more fouls though. This demo has hardly any at all.

Played the demo and had like 10 bar hits in one match. Did anyone else experience this? Me and my friend were laughing because it was so absurd. Every shot I took hit the bar.

RSB

Banned
OMG, the demo is amazing.

Easily the best game in the series since PES5. Love it.

Will buy for sure.

spwolf

so the last full PES i played was PES 2008.. i was a full on "FIFA LOL" person before that.. then i switched over to FIFA after the decline in quality of PES/rise in quality of FIFA and never regretted it. Only ever played the demos of PES after that which in my opinion where constantly worse than anything EA put out starting from FIFA 10.

so i played the demo of PES 15 today and i'm torn between "this is good" and "this is not good enough".
IMO this is a great improvement to the games they put out the last 5 years. I like the gameplay with the exception of the whole defensive game. Tackling is broken imo especially in context of body, weight etc.. i wonder if it's just me being used to FIFA. Also didn't like the Ref AI but Fifa is just as dumb in that category.
I like the passing system and the realistic look of the game. Also, though i always knew this, i feel like there is more variety in each match compared to FIFA which tends to favor fewer play styles.

I have FIFA pre-ordered and it will arrive tomorrow. And i know i'll have a blast with it. But i'm really tempted to get back into PES at least when it's cheaper in 2-3 months.

If i start enjoying PES more than FIFA i would consider doing a switch for PES 16. My biggest problem would be convincing my friends and family to switch over too.. and that's really the most crucial part of doing this switch.
Although it happened 5 years ago when just about everyone i knew suddenly switched to FIFA, i feel like this time it would be much harder to convince people as long as there is nothing fundamentally wrong with FIFA (and there really isn't year over year)

Considering the failed attempt of Konami last gen i feel like this is a great way to start this generation for them.

it is just years of fifa weighting you down... play more. PES does not "auto-tackle" with body weight like Fifa does... you actually have to press X to tackle, not just run near the ball.

TheF1BOB

Banned
Played some of this last night. My god the movement and passing is amaze balls. And the player ID is great.

Konami making a comeback.

cormack12

Gold Member
Have to say I called Konami out last year as it was beyond the pale. I played for like an hour yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed. The fleet footedness of players like Mandzukic is game winning whilst the dominance of a player like Vidal in the midfield is crippling.

The advanced shooting seems to have been tweaked but why they insist on that stupid directional placement matching the goal corners is beyond me. It's counter intuitive to hold back on the thumbstick for a low shot and the opposite corners. Really confusing. It would be easier to tap X for a low shot and then tap X and hold for a high shot. Specifically speaking about advanced shooting here as well.

All in all though I'm quite impressed. I'm committing to neither though until I have several more hours on each demo. At the moment PES is more enjoyable and they finally have gotten rid of the lag when switching players.

Colour me impressed.

Nyx

The advanced shooting seems to have been tweaked but why they insist on that stupid directional placement matching the goal corners is beyond me. It's counter intuitive to hold back on the thumbstick for a low shot and the opposite corners. Really confusing. It would be easier to tap X for a low shot and then tap X and hold for a high shot. Specifically speaking about advanced shooting here as well.

iirc you can change it in the settings, standard is ''inverted''.

Nhutty

Finding it hard to get used to PES, after playing Fifa last couple of years.

I only played one game, but hope to get many more games under my belt to really determine which is the better footy game this year

Jack cw

Finding it hard to get used to PES, after playing Fifa last couple of years.

I only played one game, but hope to get many more games under my belt to really determine which is the better footy game this year

If you ever played real football, than there is no question which game simulates it better. The tactical options in PES15 alone gives the game more depth and variety. You can actually build up a game with your whole squad and develop a playstyle that fits your own and not a style that is determined by the game itself.

sephiroth7x

Loving the PES demo and it really seems like a truly brilliant PES for the first time in a while.

Had a massive argument with my brother yesterday (Who is a die hard FIFA fan) and my first impressions of PES were how smooth it was, how i was able to build up play, the passing felt brilliant, it didn't jerk all the time and was wonderful to play.

My brother on the other hand, said the game was jerky, his strikers kept running back into defense and his defenders didnt tackle. The passing was awful and when he played a through ball, his striker had beaten the defenders for pace but his first touch was to stand still and not run with the ball.

Now, I tried to explain to him... this game is not FIFA. There is no autotackle like FIFA and you have to actual position yourself correctly and time everything well. Then I said the passing was perfect, I played a match that I won 5-0 as the passes went to the exact spot I wanted them to. I played through balls and my striker ran onto them perfectly and it was my fault I missed the chance to score. Then I realised that he was basically trying to play FIFA on PES... which just isn't going to work. Saying this to him he continued to lambast the game saying its crap, keepers are awful etc etc etc...

Is there any point of trying to convince him of the fact that by playing FIFA on PES, the game is going to be crap to him or should I just leave him alone and give up?

Also, what word is there about editing on the game? My concern is that on the PS3 I could upload my kits from my PC onto the game and then import them into the game... what is going to happen on the PS4? Are we stuck? Also, custom soundtracks will be no more eh? Anyone know?

Nhutty

If you ever played real football, than there is no question which game simulates it better. The tactical options in PES15 alone gives the game more depth and variety. You can actually build up a game with your whole squad and develop a playstyle that fits your own and not a style that is determined by the game itself.

Well I do hope that they have captured the magic of PES5/6, I was the biggest PES supporter and even bought both games up until PES2013.

Lets hope Konami figured out online play and the gameplay isn't laggy as it was in the past.

Jack cw

Also, what word is there about editing on the game? My concern is that on the PS3 I could upload my kits from my PC onto the game and then import them into the game... what is going to happen on the PS4? Are we stuck? Also, custom soundtracks will be no more eh? Anyone know?

PS4 does not support installing or copying custom data. So right now the classic option file patching isn't possible. Maybe Konami finds a work around.

Hasney

PS4 does not support installing or copying custom data. So right now the classic option file patching isn't possible. Maybe Konami finds a work around.

Don't know if they could do the same as the WWE games where you upload the data to a server and anyone can download it. Might leave them open to DMCA claims though.

NoTacos

Don't know if they could do the same as the WWE games where you upload the data to a server and anyone can download it. Might leave them open to DMCA claims though.
It's a definite yes to DMCA claims. Registered trademarks of multimillion dollar institutions showing up on the licensed servers of an unlicensed product? Lawyers will have a field day.

Hasney

It's a definite yes to DMCA claims. Registered trademarks of multimillion dollar institutions showing up on the licensed servers of an unlicensed product? Lawyers will have a field day.

True, WWE seems to get away from it, but I doubt TNA cares that their guys are available to download.

Nhutty

would this solution be similar to NBA2K games and the official rosters/sliders that people create and share to the community?

This could work right? I'm not sure how they will fix the emblems, unless there is a robust editor. How could they get sued for community sharing of save files?

Jack cw

would this solution be similar to NBA2K games and the official rosters/sliders that people create and share to the community?

This could work right? I'm not sure how they will fix the emblems, unless there is a robust editor. How could they get sued for community sharing of save files?

Don't think this will work. Konami isn't in best shape financially, so they wont do anything that get them into court. We could only hope that either Sony enables USB transfer via firmware update or enables an option for Konami to give the editor access to the PES save games.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think the way the players pass then immediately movew into space for the pass back is the biggest single noticeable difference over FIFA for me (though Fifa 15 has improved over 14 in this respect also)

Jack cw

I think the way the players pass then immediately movew into space for the pass back is the biggest single noticeable difference over FIFA for me (though Fifa 15 has improved over 14 in this respect also)

Yes. Teammate AI is pretty good, and really a gamechanger with manual passing, because automated passes do not always go the the better positioned player. I love the aggressive AI in general though.

this. I've been clancking my way to victory with very little possesion, my friends hate me so much :D

NHale

If they make it "User created" they are free to do so. Even EA Sports got away with that for years with NCAA Football.

Player likeness and names were unlicensed and prohibited and 5 days after release you could download a roster from their "User created vault" with complete player names and likeness.

Nestunt

great improvement from PES. Probably going to buy it

but still has that annoying defensive problem that comes from, I cant remember, maybe 2011 or 2013 where the Defensive guys despite having a lot of distance advantage they just seem to lose speed and the attackers rapidly compensate. Its weird to describe, but makes it feel that some goals is not your fault but the way defense is programmed

Delt31

not feeling the demo. Biggest problem is the delay with passing b/c with that power level mechanic, my player isn't starting the pass animation quick enough. Game is def solid but I'm feeling fifa's super smooth gameplay more.

cormack12

Gold Member
what's the default?

Default is 3, which is too much. 2 is a nice balance until you want to start putting more smaller, quicker passages together then I go to 1. I don't take it fully off usually because then it just makes 3-5 yard passes subject to failure. Instead of feeling like I have control, I feel I have less control in certain circumstances - especially when 3-5 yard passes go astray because you flick a thumbstick marginally off centre. But to each his own, some people love manual. I prefer to activate when needed using the triggers and keep the 1 bar on.

Demo is superb after a few games

Konami, don't fuck with this for launch like you have in the past. If anything just give the graphics a bit more polish and leave the shooting/passing alone.

adelante

Let's hope PES 2015 rocks. PES 2014 was a stepping stone and not a great one, while FIFA 15 is really good but plays it too safe.

Haven't played the demo yet but from the countless gameplay videos I've seen, it looks like they've sacrificed the bits I love about the previous PES (weighty, realistic animations that doesn't compromise on pace) to faster, more responsive controls. Animation transitions are too fast now :(

Mr E.

My Wife, who is a massive FIFA fan because of the real licenses, match presentation and overall content insisted it was the better game. I pointed out that PES offered a far greater ability to customise your team and the fantastic Master league. This turned into a bit of a slanging match and eventually we stopped talking to each other.

This was 16 years ago.........please tell me PES is back and save my marriage.

Cheers.

Hasney

Fifa 98 was beastly though.

She was right that year. And the year after.

Not even slightly. Just picturing those 90's FIFA games... And most of the 00's

*shudder*

Other than that World Cup 98 one. Had the demo, sure the game was still utter shite, but the goalkeeper booted the cameraman in the face sometimes.

TheF1BOB

Banned
After playing some FIFA15, yep this destroys it in comparison. This feels fresh and strategic.

FIFA feels like 09. No fluidity, shit animation, shit AI and easy to score.

Pachimari

I'm doing full manual and have immense control of everything.

Just got the full version of FIFA 15 as well and that one doesn't feel great at the moment.

Top Bottom