• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES series - "The Return of the King"

codhand

I just don't see anything touching FIFA. It might seem cool to hate on the series, but nothing else comes close, and it just keeps getting better and better. The changes with each iteration may not seem significant enough for some people, but they're pretty huge for people that play the games a lot. The little things that tend to get overlooked or dismissed really do make all the difference in the gameplay and overall experience.

i read this replacing fifa with pes, and it was more effective.

anthonyOA

Player bodies/shape and nuanced movements trounce EA's efforts. Actual gameplay is up in the air though. Skating has popped in its ugly head though sadly.

I'll purchases just for the fantastic looking player likenesses .

LAM09

Goetze is the new cover star, the demo will be out on September 17th, and the game will be released in November.

I was going to go with PES this year, as I got FIFA free with the X1 last year. Whilst it was good fun, it wasn't much of an improvement over previous games and PES13 left a better impression. However, I played FIFA 15 recently and they've definitely overhauled things, so now I'm back to not knowing!

TheCloser

Banned
I was going to go with PES this year, as I got FIFA free with the X1 last year. Whilst it was good fun, it wasn't much of an improvement over previous games and PES13 left a better impression. However, I played FIFA 15 recently and they've definitely overhauled things, so now I'm back to not knowing!
Wat? The gameplay is still the same, nothing was "overhauled" at all. Tweaks? Yes, overhaul? Nope. The gameplay is getting stale.

Kiant

Well here's hoping the demo is good, Fifa 14 on PS4 was horrendous. Bugs where my whole sub bench came onto the pitch still sat down with their coats on, 2 player where the other person couldn't pass the ball at all.

sestrugen

November release? Seems to me that they just gave up, FIFA is releasing 2 months in advance, maybe waiting for FIFA to be crap but it seems odd.

LAM09

November release? Seems to me that they just gave up, FIFA is releasing 2 months in advance, maybe waiting for FIFA to be crap but it seems odd.

They rushed the game last year to release it in September and it back fired. They don't want to make the same mistake twice.

At least they are releasing the demo a while before release.

I wonder though, has anyone gone back played one of the PS2/Xbox era PES games? Does the gameplay still feel great as it did at the time of release? Maybe the current PES aren't that different gameplay wise from those of the glory days, but football games (FIFA in particular) have just evolved beyond what PES offered back in the day and we all have an idolized memory of it. Perhaps the old PES would feel just as bad today as the current ones do.

I went back to PES 5 fairly recently - my old flatmate found his copy when moving and we stuck it on - and it still holds up. Mostly because it still has an arcadey feel to it but also stuff like through balls, chipped through balls, double-tap crosses, etc still feel perfect. I don't really like talking about games in terms of how they feel, because I much prefer black and white 'this mechanic works because of x reason', but honestly - it does just feel right. No other way to describe it.

He then bought the most recent PES a week after that and we both found it too complicated, which isn't what I was expecting at all. Even through-balls had a weird new mechanic I didn't get to grips with (having to hold down the button for strength of the pass, I think?). It also felt a fraction too slow. Obviously this is anecdotal and not particularly indicative of anything but four matches later, we were done with it and went back to PES 5 for a few more games.

Even so the one thing PES gets right over FIFA, in old forms and recent versions, is that goals are far more satisfying to score.

This does look quite good though! Hmmmmm.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Hearing a ton of good stuff about this

is it true its releasing 2 months after fifa? If so, *sigh*

I know it's suppose to be 'fun', but I don't feel like any game has really got football 'right'. You can see that the games have been designed by game developers who are probably not entirely football fans. The gameplay is always designed around being linear/lateral - back and forth.
Players run in straight lines on an 8 point axis. They run into each other. There's no twisting or turning of the body to slip through a gap.

It's not unique to PES, it happens in FIFA and Football Manager too. I shouldn't be too picky about it, as I guess the games have to be developed this way due to design limitations or something, but it's a shame we haven't really progressed from games in the 90s. Sure graphics have improved and animations have added more detail, but the basic gameplay hasn't improved. It's all straight lines and central focused.

Also, why are all the games seemingly at 100mph with little to no fatigue or technique degrading due to tiredness? Perhaps I'm alone and crazy for wanting more.

Datschge

I know it's suppose to be 'fun', but I don't feel like any game has really got football 'right'. (...)
Also, why are all the games seemingly at 100mph with little to no fatigue or technique degrading due to tiredness? Perhaps I'm alone and crazy for wanting more.
PES Playmaker on the Wii with its team scale interaction came the closest imo.

As for the latter part, you are definitely not alone. There is stamina which in one Wii version (2011 I think) was balanced really well. But for most versions it's balanced in a way that the top players (who virtually everyone plays) essentially aren't affected by it. And I agree about the speed thing, lately all movements always seem so hectic even in situations where players would be interested in calming down the situation. I think this is exacerbated by the brain dead removal of the acceleration stat that players still had through the whole of PS2/Wii versions. Now it really looks like they always hit their top speed right away at all of their movements which will never look and feel realistic.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Possibly, but I don't see the game selling less copies than last year, and people might get bored of FIFA by then.

In 2 months!? I usually tire on FIFA abit after 6, not 2.

I'll get PES if the demo is decent though, not much out in November but October is busy.

I bet you still have to add more players in every match just like before. I guess they think that no one plays with friends locally.

The new menus do look way better than in PES2014 at least. Why they ever had that pointer in that game I will never understand.

LegoArmo

Is there going to be one demo that's really shit, then everyone says "wait for the second demo!" and then it's barely an improvement?

LAM09

Is there going to be one demo that's really shit, then everyone says "wait for the second demo!" and then it's barely an improvement?

Only one demo is being released as it stands. A beta could possibly be released before November, but that is probably wishful thinking.

Kinan

Role Control is a new game mode which allows 3 players to divide the defensive, midfield and attacking roles, creating a 'far more structured system for multi-player action'.

Oh, that's a nice idea.

del Bosque is in:
PES%2B2015%2BmyClub%2Bsquad%2Bmenu.jpg

After Fifa announcing they will have all 20 premier league stadiums, It's getting even harder to pick PES over it and i disdain the gameplay of Fifa, But with gameface, stadiums, all leagues etc it really will be hard to pick PES2015 over it.

I love PES, Way back from ISS days, But 2014 was abysmal, Lagfest online as usuall and this time offline, No depth too its modes.

But i do love the player cam controlling just 1 player so i'll try the demo and see.

Top Bottom