• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore on 360 failure rates: "ya know, things break"

Dante

kenta said:
Microsoft is really lucky they've had such great third-party support with the 360 and managed to build a solid library of games, that's all I'm going to say

Agreed, launching first is the way to go.

loosus

Banned
Wow. My number one reason for not having a 360 at this very moment is the fact that it screws up so frequently. That sorta attitude just makes me even more nervous.

Ristamar

My friend/co-worker recently had his 360 overheat. He sent it in for repairs, and when he got it back, the disc tray was broken or jammed, thus he had send it back again.

angelfly

kenta said:
Microsoft is really lucky they've had such great third-party support with the 360 and managed to build a solid library of games, that's all I'm going to say

It's called having a year head start.

As for Moore's comment on the failure it was expected. I'd never expect someone from Microsoft to actually say how bad the problem is. I also find it amusing how they always try to make it seem like it's just a normal part of what happens to consoles.

Dante

kenta said:
Well that's not exactly what I was implying but okay

:) Sorry just meant They have fantastic third party support. Imagine they were in the PS3's or Wii's third party situation, with this high failure rate.

lupin23rd said:
Guys, there is only one question that needs to be asked at this point.

Anybody's Elite failed yet?

m

Someone here bought an elite that was DOA, and I've seen at least one other dead one on another forum. Epoxying all the components down isn't much of a fix.

Manp

Valkyr Junkie said:
Someone here bought an elite that was DOA, and I've seen at least one other dead one on another forum. Epoxying all the components down isn't much of a fix.

seems like Microsoft thinks glue is the fix for everything :lol

i mean... people are hacking the dvd drive firmware? put some glue on the flash chip! 360s are dying like there's no tomorrow? put some glue on CPU and GPU!

the first service pack for Windows Vista will probably be a bottle of superglue

:)

junkwaffle

In Front and Drawing Away
sinkingbiz.jpg

joesmokey

He could've responded on what they're doing to remedy the situation, rather than ask how the customer is treated. The failure rates are the main reason I haven't gotten a 360 yet, as worrying about leaving the system on too long or the system overheating are just not acceptable possibilities for me for a console.

The 65nm units can't come soon enough.

methane47

Hey Guys I found a picture of a Microsoft Xbox repair facility..

Here you can see the workers getting their repair tool ready for some xbox360s

1701.jpg

Here is a shot of the aparatus used to fix Xbox360s
vogue-plato-dyno-towel-rails.jpg

Hope I was of some help

Barnolde said:
40% of 10 million is 4 million, there's no way it's that high. It's probably 10-15% tops.
Why there's no way? We already know the console has a design fault that make the gpu pins pop out, so why there's no way someone could create an hardware with such a fault rate?

We're not talking about an hardware that gets accidentally broken sometimes, but about one with design faults that make it prone to break. 40% is absolutely possible, IMHO.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
*looks at working Super Famicom found in a old cardboard box at a Japanese flea market*
*leaves thread*

methane47 said:
Hey Guys I found a picture of a Microsoft Xbox repair facility..

Here you can see the workers getting their repair tool ready for some xbox360s

1701.jpg

Here is a shot of the aparatus used to fix Xbox360s
vogue-plato-dyno-towel-rails.jpg

Hope I was of some help
Don't underestimate the towel "fix" :lol

Jeff-DSA

I'm about to send in 360 numero tres. It pretty much sucks, since this time I'll be out of warranty. It's still working, but it's starting to freeze a lot.

RumFore

Banned
After seeing how the XBox was built like a tank I'm surprised at how crappy the quality of the 360 is. They went for looks to please the Japanese market because of all the complaints last time around and now nearly everyone one I know with 360 has had it die. I'm on my 3rd or 4rth one and will not be surprise when this one kicks the bucket. I just hope it doesn't happen during the Halo 3 Beta.

Wii too

Neo Member
While 3-5% seems high, I wonder what PS2's failure rate was. I only bring this up because I bought the system at launch, it broke a year later, then I got a free replacement which took two years to break. Bought a slim line, that also broke after a year. Finally, with my silver slim PS2, I'm having good luck. I've kept all my systems in great shape and haven't mistreated them.

The NES I was given when I was 5 (20 years ago) still works just as well as it did that Christmas morning.

Now that I think about it, Sony (in my experience) has the worst hardware.

scarybore

Ristamar said:
My friend/co-worker recently had his 360 overheat. He sent it in for repairs, and when he got it back, the disc tray was broken or jammed, thus he had send it back again.

My 360's drive gets stuck if there is no disc inside, so I always have to keep a game in there just so I don't have to waste 30mins trying to get it open. Don't want to send it back to MS as they already lost one of the 360s I sent to them that scratched discs, was given a 360 that couldn't read the discs 9 times out of 10 and was generally treated as if this was all my fault over the phone. Never buying a MS console at launch again.

Oh, and junkwaffle ftw!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Pakkidis said:
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know the failure rate? What evidence is their to back it up?

Those with a dead console:

-Rogue5-
3rdman
36WiiS3
8bit
a Master Ninja
adamsappel
Adent
AlanHemberger
ALeperMessiah
alexel
Alkaline Trio
anachronous_one
Andokuky
AndyMoogle x 2
ant1532 x 2
arne
arogan
ascully
AtomicShroom
AVclub
Az987
AZ Greg
Bamihip
BamYouHaveAids
Barnolde
BarneyBP
bengraven
besiktas1 x 2
Big Nate x 2
Bildi
bin4ry
BioFan
bill0527
Birbo
Birdman02
Blacklion
blahness
Bloodwake x 2
Blue Geezer
Bog x 2
Bravoexo
brocke
brokenwatch
btf1980
buckfutter x 2
BudokaiMR2
Burger x 2
C4lukins
Calamachino x 3
camel
Carl2282
Cerrius
Chiaroscuro x 2
Chiggs
chinmonster x 2
Chris B
Ciroslive
Cloudy
cochese x 2
CorwinB x 2
Costanza
curiouscharles
CrapSandwich
d0x360 x 2
DaCocoBrova
DaddyZ x 2
Dakiparu
dammitmatt
dark_preacher
DarkAngelYuna x 2
Dast
Dave Long
Dazzyman x 2
DeathNote
Dekelia
DemDereNads x 2
DemonCleaner
DenogginizerOS
diable
dirtmonkey37
DJ Brannon
DJ Sl4m
dock UK x 2
DoctorWho
DopeyFish
dr3upmushroom
Dr. Strangelove
Dr_Cogent
DrDogg
Drey1082 x 2
Drohne
dskillzhtown
EB Guy
Edwood
EekTheKat
Emerson
Eric Hall
eshwaaz
eso76
EternalGamer
evilernLeGG
Ezenzer
f_elz x 2
Fafaleda
Fallout-NL
Fight for Freeform
Firewire x 4
FirstInHell
FLEABttn
Flynn
fnmore x 2
Foil
Forgotten Ancient x 3
frunty x 2
Fulleffect
fulsome
Gantz
Gav
gbovo
Gek54
GeoNeo
Giganticus
Gilatif
GitarooMan x 2
gkrykewy x 3
godhandiscen
goldenpp72
gollumsluvslave
Gorey x 2
Gowans007
grendelrt x 2
Grug
gsarjeant
gstaff
GunFingers
gunstarhero
gwiz210
Gyrian Seed
haarbol
HaloFans x 2
Hammer24
Harmonica x 3
hgplayer1
Hitler Stole My Potato
HydrantC12
IAmTheFMan
ijm72 x 2
J-Rzez
Jack Mehoffer
Jason McMaster
JB1981
jedimike
jetjevons x 2
jlh x 2
jmdajr
JMPovoa
joamgcd x 2
JoatesDogg187
jobber
JoeFenix
Joeroll x 2
johns all like
jstephenson
JuanMR2 x 2
Justin Bailey
Kaijima
Kammie
Kammy
Karg x 2
killermmn
KingJ2002
Kingpen x 3
Koam
lachesis
Lakitu
Leewan
Leondexter
lessthanthree
Live from Kyoto
LJ11
Lonesome_Raod x 5
Louminater
Lo-Volt x 2
lucius
MajestY
Mallrat83
Man Delevium
Mana Knight
manzo
Marty Chinn
Matt09 x 2
maus
McBacon
Median x 2
Meier x 3
mentalward
Methodman
MicVlaD
MidgarBlowedUp
mm04
mmlemay
Mojovonio x 2
monchi-kun
monoRAIL
Moostache x 2
Morbo
Mr.Potato Head
mr jones
Mr. Smith
Mr Wispy
Mutanthands
Nameless x 2
NeoEdo
Nerevar
newsguy x 2
nextgeneration
ninge
Ninja Scooter
NMC2006
Nobby
Nos_G
Not a Jellyfish x 2
Nozi
NYR
Odjn
Odoul
Odysseus
OldJadedGamer
oldschoolpinball x 2
Ollie Cromwell
Omikaru
Oneself x 2
Oni Jazar x 3
op_ivy x 3
OverHeat
painey x 2
Patrickula
Pedobear
PepsimanVsJoe
phaethon0017 x 2
pheeniks
pollo
poppin fresh
Price Drop
Pseudo judo
psjohnson
Pug x 2
Quagm1r3
Qwerty710710
rafman400
rage1973
rastex x 2
Rayne.S
Razoric x 3
RDDragon
regs x 2
REK
RevenantKioku
Reznor x 2
rocksolidaudio
rod x 2
Rorshach
rs7k
Rud13inJapan x 2
RumpledForeskin x 2
ryutaro’s mama
Ryuuga
Sallokin
Saurus
schism
Scottlarock
Screaming_Gremlin
Sean
sega4ever
segarr
Session x 2
shantyman
shidoshi
Sho Nuff
Sh0k x 2
Shpankey
shuri x 2
siamesedreamer
Sikaffy
Silentagony
sirris
Sjoerd
Skenzin
Skilotonn
SnakeswithLasers
Son of Godzilla
Spangler
Spazbiohaz x 3
SpectreRT
Speculawyer x 2
SpeedRazor
Speevy x 2
Spencerr x 4
SpokkX
sportzhead x 2
squicken
SterileZorro
Stoney Mason
streaks
Striker029
Suikguy
Sullichin x 2
superegular
SuperPac
Surfheart
Synbios459
Synthesizer Patel
Sysgen
Tabris
TAJ
tedtropy x 2
tegdf
teh_pwn
Tek
temp
tenchir
terrygolder x 2
thebigkahuna x 2
The Faceless Master
TheGreatDave
TheKurgan
TheWolf
Tobor
Trasher
Trax416
Trmas
Troidal
TTP
TurboFool
typhonsentra
Un4
Uncle
UncleGuito
unomas x 3
VALIS x 2
Vark
Vectored Thrust
VibratingDonkey
Viddie
vinnay x 2
viper60782
Warm Machine
Weapon201
whatdidyousay
WHOAguitarninja
winalot
Wolffen
X360FanBoyLOL
xenon
zedge
ZeMMiK
Zen
Zoe
ZootedGranny x 2

Those hoping against hope:

985boi*
BuddyC*
Dommel*
Dr-L337*
FLUXCapacitor*
Kolgan*
madmook*
Mareg*
mattiewheels*
Methodis*
pestul*
Rummy Bunz*
Troidal*
ZombieSupaStar*

Honorable Mention: sado | AggravatedGamers x 11. I'm not including you in the main list, as I suspect you live above a black hole or something.

437 dead consoles, 14 on life support. 359 individual posters. Any incorrect info, let me know.

I can't believe arne is on the list! Just to remind, I don't include "my brother/friend/etc." on the list. This is for NeoGAFers only, so we can have some minor semblance of percentages. I also don't include HDD failures, that's a separate issue.

All the evidence I need tbh.

Bebpo

Banned
Speevy said:
My console was replaced in a very timely manner. It took a little time to get those MS Points back, though.

I've never heard why people have to get their MS Points back.

Don't you just recover your profile on your new system and it'll give you access to everything you've bought and you'll still have your leftover points show up?

I use the same account between my US and JPN X360 and I can transfer XBLA games and DLC no problem.

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
Failures are a moving target eh... but that's amazing how towels literally wrap up that problem without the 360 squirming away. All hail the amazing towel. :lol

Epiphyte

Bebpo said:
I've never heard why people have to get their MS Points back.

Don't you just recover your profile on your new system and it'll give you access to everything you've bought and you'll still have your leftover points show up?

I use the same account between my US and JPN X360 and I can transfer XBLA games and DLC no problem.
Well, after transferring to a new system, you can't access your arcade content unless you're signed on, which can be a hassle for some people. If you call up MS and bitch enough, they'll refund the amount of points required to rebuy your arcade stuff.

John Davidson mentioned that Microsoft might have a fix coming for this issue on the latest 1up yours.

1-D_FTW

StevieP said:
$6 manufacturing costs ftw. Petah knows how to dance!

The more I watch from afar at this problem, the more this figure pisses me off.

I wish I could just buy the components in a retail package and assemble it myself. Some quality thermal paste, quality heat sinks, and some nice ventilation and I doubt there'd be any problems.

Technically you could buy a 360 and gut it open and do a bunch of mods, but then you really are screwed if it still breaks.

I've been holding out for a good 9 months waiting for them to fix the problems. This snappy quote from Peter doesn't please me. And I won't cave. As much as I think 360 has the best 2007 lineup, I'm not getting scammed in this. I cringe everytime I see someone say they'll just towel their defective unit, trade it in at EB, and buy a new unit (And now an Elite unit at that). I wish people would just boycott the machine and FORCE them to fix this. I'm getting tired of boycotting them, and my stance alone is doing squat to rectify this.

Wii too said:
While 3-5% seems high, I wonder what PS2's failure rate was. I only bring this up because I bought the system at launch, it broke a year later, then I got a free replacement which took two years to break. Bought a slim line, that also broke after a year. Finally, with my silver slim PS2, I'm having good luck. I've kept all my systems in great shape and haven't mistreated them.

The thing is, most of those PS2s lasted at least 3+ years before they started forcing us to "do the hokey pokey and turn it upside down." We are only a year and half into the 360's life and the systems are already dropping off. It really makes you wonder if anybody's launch system will be able to go a full console cycle of 5+ years.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
It's a non-issue if you're aware of their shoddyness from the beginning. Just get a warranty and get your gaming on.

The only thing that bothers me is them (MS) not acknowledging the scope of the issue.

Again, whyno class-action suit? MS's legal team that thorough?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Kintaro said:
All I know is, once my Xbox unit dies (and it's slowly getting there with the amount of times this thing locks up on games. Any games.) I will call whatever customer service line it is to call up and talk it over with them for a replacement. If I can't manage to get a free replacement, I'll just be without a 360 for the rest of the gen.

When my launch PS2 continues to work like a charm without a problem, and my year old 360 is dying, that doesn't cut it.

This is my situation exactly. I've sent my 360 back twice, no cost to me other than time, and haven't had an issue yet with stuff not working sans Live because I keep getting my same unit back.

If it breaks again and they want to charge me, then I too will be without a 360 for the rest of this gen. The 360 has more of the stuff I want to play, like Live Arcade, but f*ck them for not designing it better.

As for the failure rate, 40% doesn't sound too high to me. There are 16 people that I work with and every single person has had to send their 360 back at least once but one (and he doesn't use his much), and more than half of us are on our 2nd or 3rd box.

Chiggs

Thoren said:
There's absolutely no way the Xbox 360 failure rates are that low. Almost everybody I know has had their Xbox 360 die, and I'm afraid I'll be next.

:lol :lol :lol

Fina Destination 4!

pr0cs

1-D_FTW said:
I wish people would just boycott the machine and FORCE them to fix this. .
That's going to be very difficult for a lot of people here. Not because they're blind fanboys but because the software lineup is so good, especially in 2007.
Akin to a crack dealer that you know is a real nasty piece of work, you're still gonna buy the shit from him because you need your fix.

Journalists like from the OP need to continue to pester every Microsoft PR mouthpiece about their shoddy quality control, write scathing articles and constantly remind Microsoft that the consumers aren't going to forget about all the issues.

DaCocoBrova said:
It's a non-issue if you're aware of their shoddyness from the beginning. Just get a warranty and get your gaming on.

$40 a year for warranty + $50 a year for Live and the 360 quickly becomes by far the most expensive console ever released. That's nearly $1,000 for six years of use. I don't mind the Live charge, but having to fork up for a yearly warranty renewal (whether from MS or from a retail chain) because of the console's reliability issues is completely unacceptable.

This is why I'm waiting on the 360. I really do want to play GTAIV. With Sony's shenanigans with the root kits, I refuse to buy Sony's products, and I will not buy a console that I'm going to have to send back on a regular basis. Here's hoping that they fix something with the 65nm kits, so that I can eventually get my GTAIV on.

Top Bottom