• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore on 360 failure rates: "ya know, things break"

PS360

Banned
I'm not going to comment on individual failure rates because I'm shipping in 36 countries and it's a complex business."

:lol

Translation: "Can we ****ING STOP TALKING ABOUT FAILURE RATES? JESUS CHRIST!"

Dizzy

Banned
To be fair, I was actually quite pleased with how Microsoft treated the situation. I received a new console just days after I sent them the old one, and they gave me a free month of XBL. I was expecting it to take much longer.

Of course this new 360 only lasted a couple of weeks. That's the real problem, no matter how good they treat you it's annoying having to go through this again and again. Especially when somehow all the other console miraculously managed to be put out worldwide and end up a lot more reliable than the 360. Pisses me off when I lose true ownership of my XBLA games too. I hope they get around to that fix for it that everyone keeps talking about but I am yet to hear anything official about it.

tokkun

duketogo88 said:
So either Shane is lying, or the failure rate is much higher......or Microsoft just has incredibly bad luck.

I think it's likely that Microsoft is not lying, but bending the truth. The numbers I posted above are based on the idea that all 360s are created equal. However, it seems likely that 360s purchased for EGM or by EGM staff for personal use would be 360s from near the launch window (they are enthusiasts after all). It may be that the failure rate on launch systems is extremely high. If it was, say 50%, then there is a 1 in 8 chance of 75% of EGM's systems failing. Suddenly it becomes plausible for this to happen to a major games news outlet.

Now, if we denote the first 500k units as launch systems with the high fail rate, and if all the rest of the non-launch systems have a failure rate of 3%, then the overall failure rate across all systems is....

5%.

It's all speculation, but it makes you think.

watership

GameGamer said:
I hope one day we will know the true failure rate.

It really seems bad.

No out out of MS will ever know the true failure rate. The only time you hear about actual numbers is in the Auto Industry when car companies have massive recalls. And even then its only because its safety issues.

tokkun

watership said:
No out out of MS will ever know the true failure rate. The only time you hear about actual numbers is in the Auto Industry when car companies have massive recalls. And even then its only because its safety issues.

Well, if there is ever a class-action lawsuit, MS could be forced to disclose that information....assuming it's not shredded first.

Odysseus

Banned
tokkun said:
Besides the classical problem of surveys drawing out an unrepresentative number of negative respondents, I'd also be suspicious of the honesty of posters who might have a pro or anti-MS agenda.

agendas? on the internet?!

i suppose next you're going to tell me man has walked on the moon.

Speevy

Banned
I'd love to lie about the performance of the 360. If it were just giving me DRE's, I might have done just that.

But it's a poorly designed machine.

Odysseus

Banned
Speevy said:
I'd love to lie about the performance of the 360. If it were just giving me DRE's, I might have done just that.

i don't know if like the nature of this admission

"microsoft, i'd willingly lie for you!"

"thanks, speev, check's in the mail."

although, if you get that check, let me know. i'll start singing the praises louder and louder.

Mojovonio

Banned
Speevy said:

MS is going to send you a box to return an item....

your jacket.

Speevy

Banned
MS is going to send you a box to return an item....

your jacket.
Today 10:32 PM

Heh.

Nah, I think the 360 is a great system in the sense that matters- the games.

But I'm not going to defend the failures. It's just something that 360 owners will either deal with or they won't. I've chosen to.

Why did this thread come up when I was finaly able to have faith and buy a 360 tomorrow :(

"360 do not break"

"360 do not break"

"360 do not break"

"360 do not break"

That's fine now :)

PleoMax

Banned
Speevy said:

Word.

I got Red Lights on my ass Twice, but one was for the badly connected power plug. The other one made my balls drop.

But it never happened again.

Dizzy said:
To be fair, I was actually quite pleased with how Microsoft treated the situation. I received a new console just days after I sent them the old one, and they gave me a free month of XBL. I was expecting it to take much longer.

Of course this new 360 only lasted a couple of weeks. That's the real problem, no matter how good they treat you it's annoying having to go through this again and again. Especially when somehow all the other console miraculously managed to be put out worldwide and end up a lot more reliable than the 360. Pisses me off when I lose true ownership of my XBLA games too. I hope they get around to that fix for it that everyone keeps talking about but I am yet to hear anything official about it.

You were lucky. I too was able to convince them to replace my launch console for free (though it took nearly an hour on the phone, being put on hold 4 times, and quoting them their own promise and the url of a website to back it up). Unfortunately, if you look at the thread involving the failed consoles, many people aren't so lucky. MS has backed off of their promise to replace launch system consoles and try to weasel out of it by telling people it was a "limited time" replacement. Most people are being charged around $180 to get their year old system fixed.

Mojovonio

Banned
Speevy said:
Heh.

Nah, I think the 360 is a great system in the sense that matters- the games.

But I'm not going to defend the failures. It's just something that 360 owners will either deal with or they won't. I've chosen to.

I was just kidding, but yeah, the system is a POS, but what can you do?

Look, we're not just unreliable here, we're unreliable in THIRTY FIVE OTHER COUNTRIES TOO! Do you know how long it would take for me to form an apology in thirty five other languages and dialects? A really long time, you selfish, selfish manbaby!

Why the hell would 36 countries make a difference? If the failure rate was 5% it doesn't matter if it's 1 country or 36. That is unless other territories are skewing the results which I don't think is the case. Bullshit is bullshit and the failure rate is much higher across the board than MS wants to admit. Someone needs to take this shit problem to court so the facts can finally come out about what the hell is really going on.

FightyF

Banned
Well if MS wants to take a laissez faire attitude towards this...they'll reap what they sow.

The 360 is by far the best next gen console out right now...but I'm not going to suggest it to friends until they release a console that is at least as reliable as the PS3 (which in comparison seems like a rock).

The way I see it...Allard's attitude explains why MS has been so slow in correcting this issue. They don't see it as a big issue to begin with.

This may be weird to bring up...but I'll do it anyways. I was watching an episode of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares...where Ramsey helps out struggling restaurants. In this one episode he was poking and poking trying to get a response from one owner, who seemed blind to the dire situation he was in. He put it best when he said, "I don't see $100K debt in his eyes". In the same way, MS doesn't seem to see how bad of a situation it is for them.

The Elite is a perfect example of how MS is oblivious to the direness of the situation. With the Elite, they had the perfect opportunity to redesign the console to be reliable. And I'm not talking slightly more reliable, I'm talking about having it just as reliable as the Wii or PS3. From the looks of it, there were minor changes made to address the heating and warping issues.

methane47

Mr_Furious said:
Why the hell would 36 countries make a difference? If the failure rate was 5% it doesn't matter if it's 1 country or 36. That is unless other territories are skewing the results which I don't think is the case. Bullshit is bullshit and the failure rate is much higher across the board than MS wants to admit. Someone needs to take this shit problem to court so the facts can finally come out about what the hell is really going on.

They absolutely do matter.. since in India and pakistan and brazil and other countries like these... people just dont have the 170+ dollars to pay to fix their console...

So it would be unfair to give a percentage of failure... When There are soo many more failures out there waiting to be counted
demo1-big.jpg

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Burger said:
Sorry, I meant something a little more than a soundbite, and more say, an article.

I know, I was just jabbing. We're looking into it -- right now I'm trying to juggle finals, graduating and moving, but I assure you we're on it.

This is why all freedom-loving gamers will cheer when there is no Xbox 720.

Seriously, what kind of attitude is that? "Ya know, things break"??? How about you find ways so they don't, "ya know, break".

CoG

Mr_Furious said:

I don't understand why a class action suit has not been explored. To their credit, they are doing good customer service job fielding the dead units, but IMO a $400 piece of hardware should not up and flop in under a year, free shipping and returns or not.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I have not bough the X360 because they breaks easily. I don't want to waste 150€ extra in repairs 3 months after buying the system.

The system's credibility is pretty down due to this I think. Many people seems to know about that problem.

Burger

CoG said:
I don't understand why a class action suit has not been explored. To their credit, they are doing good customer service job fielding the dead units, but IMO a $400 piece of hardware should not up and flop in under a year, free shipping and returns or not.

Why do you assume a Class Action hasn't been filed ? Because one has been filed, you know.

were the 360 any other consumer electronics item, it's failure rate would've crashed'n'burned it by now. it's only the money/power of ms (with the media support/cover that engenders) combined with the good ol' ms consumer faithful ("please, sir, shit on me again...") that've kept this not-ready-for-prime-time machine in the marketplace...

CoG

Burger said:
Why do you assume a Class Action hasn't been filed ? Because one has been filed, you know.

A couple have actually. One at launch which was thrown out of court and another over the Fall update bricking units (don't know what happened there). Nothing has been filed recently which is surprising considering the dead units appear to be piling up.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
JB1981 said:
I guess Peter wasn't there when Arne's co-worker shouted out what the failure rate was at the office. Surely he would've used such a source to put consumers' minds at rest.
True that. Arne needs to keep Moore informed, according to his calculations of machines they repair the 360 hardly has issues.

:lol Hey things break

Burger

Peter Moore doesn't even notice the racket the DVD drive makes as it tries to shake itself out of the enclosure.

I suspect he has a different model than the rest of the world.

Ask John Davison if he notices the sound of his 360 (after he gets it back from the service centre). He had to buy headphones because at low volume the Xbox eclipsed that of the TV.

X26

Banned
5 months going strong, although regardless I think this whole situation is pretty pathetic. The 360's defect rate is much high than reasonably acceptable and the whole thing could be handled much better.

Aleman

At least they extended the warranty, although they should have extended it to two years.

But I'm surprised that with all of their really smart people they haven't figured out a better motherboard layout yet.

-Rogue5-

I think this only makes it worse, unless the numbers are actually as high I think they are. No one I personally know (in real life) is still on their original unit. I wouldn't be surprised if they said it was 33%, but if it actually was and Peter said so, MS would be the joke of the consumer electronics industry... because that'd be so pathetic.

Either way, it's higher than 3-5% and for a $500 device that's pure bullsh*t.

Firewire

Banned
NekoFever said:
They treated me great. In fact they were kind enough to charge £83 ($165) for the repairs which I was totally responsible for. I mean if I hadn't played the thing it'd be fine.

My God, thats a classic! :lol

mrpogi23

i think he knows there's something wrong with the design of the system or.. some of the components they have...

yet.. they never changed it on the new elite... why? well probably the components probably still have contract and could be a cheap one. u know theyd want to save as much cost for production.

or... its just typical MS. its not surprising their product fails alot..

Top Bottom