• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore on 360 failure rates: "ya know, things break"

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jim said:
LOL @ the Google ad for this page:

imgad

Great product. We bought purple ones for our little white pussy. Then we just got rid of our nice furniture and stopped wasting money on those nail-caps.

They work well, though. ;)

(edit: Correction -- we bought "SoftPaws", the originals. Not sure about these knock-offs.)

Mononofu

Originally Posted by Pakkidis:
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know the failure rate? What evidence is their to back it up?

Quote:
Those with a dead console:

-Rogue5-
3rdman
36WiiS3
8bit
a Master Ninja
adamsappel
Adent
AlanHemberger
ALeperMessiah
alexel
Alkaline Trio
anachronous_one
Andokuky
AndyMoogle x 2
ant1532 x 2
arne
arogan
ascully
AtomicShroom
AVclub
Az987
AZ Greg
Bamihip
BamYouHaveAids
Barnolde
BarneyBP
bengraven
besiktas1 x 2
Big Nate x 2
Bildi
bin4ry
BioFan
bill0527
Birbo
Birdman02
Blacklion
blahness
Bloodwake x 2
Blue Geezer
Bog x 2
Bravoexo
brocke
brokenwatch
btf1980
buckfutter x 2
BudokaiMR2
Burger x 2
C4lukins
Calamachino x 3
camel
Carl2282
Cerrius
Chiaroscuro x 2
Chiggs
chinmonster x 2
Chris B
Ciroslive
Cloudy
cochese x 2
CorwinB x 2
Costanza
curiouscharles
CrapSandwich
d0x360 x 2
DaCocoBrova
DaddyZ x 2
Dakiparu
dammitmatt
dark_preacher
DarkAngelYuna x 2
Dast
Dave Long
Dazzyman x 2
DeathNote
Dekelia
DemDereNads x 2
DemonCleaner
DenogginizerOS
diable
dirtmonkey37
DJ Brannon
DJ Sl4m
dock UK x 2
DoctorWho
DopeyFish
dr3upmushroom
Dr. Strangelove
Dr_Cogent
DrDogg
Drey1082 x 2
Drohne
dskillzhtown
EB Guy
Edwood
EekTheKat
Emerson
Eric Hall
eshwaaz
eso76
EternalGamer
evilernLeGG
Ezenzer
f_elz x 2
Fafaleda
Fallout-NL
Fight for Freeform
Firewire x 4
FirstInHell
FLEABttn
Flynn
fnmore x 2
Foil
Forgotten Ancient x 3
frunty x 2
Fulleffect
fulsome
Gantz
Gav
gbovo
Gek54
GeoNeo
Giganticus
Gilatif
GitarooMan x 2
gkrykewy x 3
godhandiscen
goldenpp72
gollumsluvslave
Gorey x 2
Gowans007
grendelrt x 2
Grug
gsarjeant
gstaff
GunFingers
gunstarhero
gwiz210
Gyrian Seed
haarbol
HaloFans x 2
Hammer24
Harmonica x 3
hgplayer1
Hitler Stole My Potato
HydrantC12
IAmTheFMan
ijm72 x 2
J-Rzez
Jack Mehoffer
Jason McMaster
JB1981
jedimike
jetjevons x 2
jlh x 2
jmdajr
JMPovoa
joamgcd x 2
JoatesDogg187
jobber
JoeFenix
Joeroll x 2
johns all like
jstephenson
JuanMR2 x 2
Justin Bailey
Kaijima
Kammie
Kammy
Karg x 2
killermmn
KingJ2002
Kingpen x 3
Koam
lachesis
Lakitu
Leewan
Leondexter
lessthanthree
Live from Kyoto
LJ11
Lonesome_Raod x 5
Louminater
Lo-Volt x 2
lucius
MajestY
Mallrat83
Man Delevium
Mana Knight
manzo
Marty Chinn
Matt09 x 2
maus
McBacon
Median x 2
Meier x 3
mentalward
Methodman
MicVlaD
MidgarBlowedUp
mm04
mmlemay
Mojovonio x 2
monchi-kun
monoRAIL
Moostache x 2
Morbo
Mr.Potato Head
mr jones
Mr. Smith
Mr Wispy
Mutanthands
Nameless x 2
NeoEdo
Nerevar
newsguy x 2
nextgeneration
ninge
Ninja Scooter
NMC2006
Nobby
Nos_G
Not a Jellyfish x 2
Nozi
NYR
Odjn
Odoul
Odysseus
OldJadedGamer
oldschoolpinball x 2
Ollie Cromwell
Omikaru
Oneself x 2
Oni Jazar x 3
op_ivy x 3
OverHeat
painey x 2
Patrickula
Pedobear
PepsimanVsJoe
phaethon0017 x 2
pheeniks
pollo
poppin fresh
Price Drop
Pseudo judo
psjohnson
Pug x 2
Quagm1r3
Qwerty710710
rafman400
rage1973
rastex x 2
Rayne.S
Razoric x 3
RDDragon
regs x 2
REK
RevenantKioku
Reznor x 2
rocksolidaudio
rod x 2
Rorshach
rs7k
Rud13inJapan x 2
RumpledForeskin x 2
ryutaro’s mama
Ryuuga
Sallokin
Saurus
schism
Scottlarock
Screaming_Gremlin
Sean
sega4ever
segarr
Session x 2
shantyman
shidoshi
Sho Nuff
Sh0k x 2
Shpankey
shuri x 2
siamesedreamer
Sikaffy
Silentagony
sirris
Sjoerd
Skenzin
Skilotonn
SnakeswithLasers
Son of Godzilla
Spangler
Spazbiohaz x 3
SpectreRT
Speculawyer x 2
SpeedRazor
Speevy x 2
Spencerr x 4
SpokkX
sportzhead x 2
squicken
SterileZorro
Stoney Mason
streaks
Striker029
Suikguy
Sullichin x 2
superegular
SuperPac
Surfheart
Synbios459
Synthesizer Patel
Sysgen
Tabris
TAJ
tedtropy x 2
tegdf
teh_pwn
Tek
temp
tenchir
terrygolder x 2
thebigkahuna x 2
The Faceless Master
TheGreatDave
TheKurgan
TheWolf
Tobor
Trasher
Trax416
Trmas
Troidal
TTP
TurboFool
typhonsentra
Un4
Uncle
UncleGuito
unomas x 3
VALIS x 2
Vark
Vectored Thrust
VibratingDonkey
Viddie
vinnay x 2
viper60782
Warm Machine
Weapon201
whatdidyousay
WHOAguitarninja
winalot
Wolffen
X360FanBoyLOL
xenon
zedge
ZeMMiK
Zen
Zoe
ZootedGranny x 2

Those hoping against hope:

985boi*
BuddyC*
Dommel*
Dr-L337*
FLUXCapacitor*
Kolgan*
madmook*
Mareg*
mattiewheels*
Methodis*
pestul*
Rummy Bunz*
Troidal*
ZombieSupaStar*

Honorable Mention: sado | AggravatedGamers x 11. I'm not including you in the main list, as I suspect you live above a black hole or something.

437 dead consoles, 14 on life support. 359 individual posters. Any incorrect info, let me know.

I can't believe arne is on the list! Just to remind, I don't include "my brother/friend/etc." on the list. This is for NeoGAFers only, so we can have some minor semblance of percentages. I also don't include HDD failures, that's a separate issue.

DaCocoBrova said:
All the evidence I need tbh.

Wow! I knew it was bad but not that bad. :(

437 dead consoles, 14 on life support.

That's out of 20,100 NeoGAF members. If every person here had a 360, then that would be 2.24%. If half did, it would be 4.49%.

How many NeoGaffers really have 360s? And of course, there's also the possibility that some NeoGaffers have had a 360 break and didn't post in the official thread.

Basically, there's no way in Hell that it's below 5%. I'd guess it's double that at best.

Pug

On that list I'm down as x2 scrub that and make it x4. The only good thing MS has done is efficiently pick up and return the console. They have it down to a fine art here in the UK, the best being 2 days. The CS is good but god I have difficulty understanding the telephone agents as it appears to be based in India. Anyway my 4th machine has been fine for months now so I'm pretty sure I have one where the Xenos chip has been nailed down with a 6 inch stud pin, it aint moving no matter how hot the bugger gets.

ssshhhh I have had two go wrong but, just between GAF and myself its been my fault really as I did not have it in a open space and I also had it sat ontop of my HD Sat receiver which also can get rather a bit toasty. I used to touch the underside of it after some particulary long gaming sessions and it used to be roasting.

After I sent my second back I decided to get it out of there and its now stood upright beside my TV and it barely gets warm to touch. When the Elite comes out in the UK hopefully with the 65nm chipset by then i'll get one and whack it back under the tele where i'd prefer it to be.

I wonder if its more less likely to overheat and break stood upright with air either side rather than horizontal with heat being reflected back into it??

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^
Microelectronics are designed to work under extreme heat conditions...

Leondexter said:
That's out of 20,100 NeoGAF members. If every person here had a 360, then that would be 2.24%. If half did, it would be 4.49%.

How many NeoGaffers really have 360s? And of course, there's also the possibility that some NeoGaffers have had a 360 break and didn't post in the official thread.

Basically, there's no way in Hell that it's below 5%. I'd guess it's double that at best.

There was another thread that was basically a 360 roll call. Indicated age of system, amount of use and current condition.

White Man

My name isn't on that busted systems list. My 360 died less than 10 days after release, and my current one is on life support.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Gek54 said:
I guess I am the only one who had good experience with getting my console replaced. I bought the extra 2 year coverage and then found out it was effectively moved to 3 years after the new basic coverage change. Spoke to a very pleasant American accented CR for about 5 minutes and was able to get a box, ship it off and have it returned all with in 10 days.

Yours didn't break because you bought extra coverage.

Microsoft has performed some high-tech wizardy to ensure that only consoles without extended warranties break. I think it's a cross between nanotechnology and voodoo.

Jeff-DSA

Leondexter said:

I'm not on that list and my 3rd is starting to limp pretty badly right now.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Jeff-DSA said:
I'm not on that list and my 3rd is starting to limp pretty badly right now.

Guys... The least you could do is add your name to the on-going thread/list... Either way, that number is more or less accurate.

Skilletor

I'm on my 2nd 360, but I never posted about it. It was after the warranty so I had to go buy a new one. A friend at gamestop let me trade in the busted one for full credit, so it came to about the same prince MS would have charged me to repair my busted one.

I totally, totally understand how Microsoft could have had issues at launch, not known about it, and let customers down. In that case, shit does break. They replace it, everybody is happy.

Seeing as it's now nearing the middle of 2007, there's no ****ing reason at all why 360s people have bought in the last year should still be failing just as frequently. My 360 was bought in September 2006, and I had to have it replaced in January. It was a very easy process, but you're letting down customers by not improving your manufacturing process. Nobody expects a console to live forever, but people don't expect death to be a ****ing inevitably, which it really is with the 360. My console has crashed more since January than any other console I've owned has in it's lifetime.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
bmf said:
This is why I'm waiting on the 360. I really do want to play GTAIV. With Sony's shenanigans with the root kits, I refuse to buy Sony's products...

Sony-BMG, independently operated. (Sony has a 50% investment, but doesn't run the company.) It was their asshats who came up with that one, not Sony. "SCEA = Rootkit" is still a lame excuse.

JeStaH

I wasn't on that original list..

I'm on my 3rd. First one broke after 2 weeks, 2nd after a month and half. Third one so far is still going for about 9 months now... :lol

Crossing my fingers. Quality control sucks yea. As long as I have the warranty I'm good though. You'd think I'd be pissed about it, but the amount of enjoyment I've gotten out of it is worth it though. Bring on Forza 2! Now if it breaks again before Forza 2 comes out then I'd be really pissed :D

wha the **** is wrong with that guy. I'm a student, i paid 400 ****ing euros for a game console and it ****ing broke in 1 year. Man what a ****ed up attitude. If i was rich, i woulndt buy a new console, i would hire the best lawyer in my land.

Burger

To the people saying "I've had a great experience the 2 times I've had to replace my console." Err, don't you think you shouldn't have had to replace it at all ?

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Why don't they just fix the defective ones for free?

Bill Gates didn't get rich by writing alot of cheques you know.

Anyway, to anyone who thinks this isn't a design flaw, if it wasn't then you wouldn't see people on the XBox Scene forums with expensive Ball Grid Array soldering machines that are 'refurbishing' these units themselves. And making a business out of it.

GhaleonEB

Could someone post the entire 1up article? I've tried to load their page five times now and it won't come up. (Usually it only takes three or so attempts. Hate that ****ing site.)

JB1981 said:

Is that shipped or sold?

Sadly, as much as I'd love that just to be a smart ass quip, the disparity between shipped and sold figures probably does factor into things, as 360s sat on store shelves wont be breaking like ones in peoples homes are / might be, so...
500,000 sent for repairs out of 10 million shipped = 5%, but 500,000 broken out of 5 million sold = 10%
Invented numbers to prove point, Im pretty sure both numbers are higher but cant be arsed to do real maths to work out the percentage differences

Bebpo

Banned
What we should do is have an ultimate roll call.

leave a thread open for 48 hours. If your X360 is alive - post it, if your X360 is dead and not on that list - post it.

Then tally up the two and do the math and let's get a real percentage here.

GhaleonEB said:
Could someone post the entire 1up article? I've tried to load their page five times now and it won't come up. (Usually it only takes three or so attempts. Hate that ****ing site.)

If your Xbox 360 hasn't experienced red rings of death, your probably know someone who has -- the machine's a little finicky. Mike Antonucci recently chatted with Microsoft exec. Peter Moore across a number of topics, including touching on the seemingly high number of faltering Xbox 360s, despite Microsoft claiming a "3% failure rate."

Antonucci passed on the story of one user who replaced his Xbox 360 twice in the last seven months and wondered whether Microsoft's been dodging the real issue. Moore refuses to comment on specific experiences with the hardware, but says people should be focused on how Microsoft treated them as a result of the failure, not the failure itself.

"I can't comment on failure rates, because it's just not something - it's a moving target. What this consumer should worry about is the way that we've treated him. Y'know, things break, and if we've treated him well and fixed his problem, that's something that we're focused on right now. I'm not going to comment on individual failure rates because I'm shipping in 36 countries and it's a complex business."

Given Moore's response, what's been your experience with Microsoft's customer service fixing Xbox 360s? We'll look into compiling some responses into a follow-up story.

There you go.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
GhaleonEB said:

Your woes are my woes.

DaCocoBrova said:
There was another thread that was basically a 360 roll call. Indicated age of system, amount of use and current condition.

I'm sure that would miss a lot of people, but what was the number?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
LOL @ Microsoft. I would presume this design flaw is fixed for the 65nm. If it isn't, there should be hell to pay for them.

my bro-in-laws 360 has died a 2nd time, a couple of days/week after the extended 1 year warranty expired.

He bought it in March 2006.

He doesn't have the time/money/patience to send it again.

Vrolokus

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Common guys... things break... sometimes even out of the box... or right after it's been repaired... give him a break :lol

I would love it if your thoughts and opinions on all things Xbox were a little less predictable.

Duke Togo

:lol Oh the sick irony! I laughed at that shipping.gif that junkwaffle posted, and half an hour later my xbox bites the dust.

Vrolokus

Banned
Barnolde said:
Someone's got sand in their vagina. "MS CAN DO NO RONG!!1"

Oh blow me. If you bothered to read my other post in this thread, I said pretty clearly that MS has handled the whole faulty 360 issue horrendously. But I guess not ROFLing over the pic makes me a Xbot?

mollipen

It said a lot to me about Microsoft's customer service when they sent me a box to send my 360 back in, told me to call UPS to have the box picked up, and when I called UPS, they said that Microsoft doesn't pay for the pick up (even though they say they do) and that I'd have to drop it off at a UPS location myself. The guy I called for the pick-up even knew the situation with MS not paying for pick-up after saying they did the moment I gave him the tracking number.

As well, I also knew how "great" their customer support was after calling Nintendo about two weeks after that due to getting the DS Lite hinge crack. Such a world of difference between my experience on the phone with MS and calling Nintendo.

tokkun

Statistics fun-time!

I noticed on a recent EGM podcast that Shane said that 75% of their 360s had failed.

This probability analysis is based on a relatively small sample-size, unverified statements, and reasoned assumptions. It also makes the important assumption that the 360s are a homogenous quantity - or in other words that EGM's 360s are representative of 360s as a whole. Basically, don't take the numbers too seriously.

Let's assume there are 12 360s, 8 of which have failed. I want to see what the odds are of that happening. Since the quoted number is 3-5%, I'll be kind and use 5%.

#360s failed - Odds of occurrence
00 - 54% or ~ 1 in 2
01 - 34% or ~ 1 in 3
02 - 10% or ~ 1 in 10
03 - 1.7% or ~ 1 in 60
04 - 0.2% or ~ 1 in 500
05 - 0.017% or ~ 1 in 6,000
06 - 0.0011% or ~ 1 in 90,000
07 - 0.000047% or ~ 1 in 2,000,000
08 - 0.0000016% or ~ 1 in 63,000,000 *EGM's case
09 - 0.000000037% or ~ 1 in 2,700,000,000
10 - 0.00000000058% or ~ 1 in 170,000,000,000
11 - 0.0000000000056% or ~ 1 in 18,000,000,000,000
12 - 0.000000000000024% or ~ 1 in 4,000,000,000,000,000

So, based on the assumptions stated earlier, there is a one in 63 million chance of this occurring to a given set of 12 360s. Well, let's ignore that this happened to EGM, and just assume that it was a truly random set of 360s and that this just happens to be the only case in which a specific set of 12 360s experienced a 75% failure rate (this is being very, unreasonably kind to Microsoft's numbers). If there are 10 million 360s out there, that means that there are 833,333 sets of 12 out there. So if there are 833,333 sets and a .0000016% chance that a set of 12 will experience a 75% failure rate, there is a 1 in 75 chance of this having ever occurred anywhere. Now if you're a little more realistic and say "what are the chances of this happening to a major gaming news outlet", it's even less likely. EGM is pretty high profile; let's ask what are the odds of this happening to one of the top ten video game new outlets. Now the odds are 1 in 6 million of it having ever happened.

Of course if you use a 3% failure rate the odds go to 1 in 350 million.

Microsoft has bad luck.

Mojovonio

Banned
Bebpo said:

leave a thread open for 48 hours. If your X360 is alive - post it, if your X360 is dead and not on that list - post it.

Those numbers will be inflated, maybe to a small degree, but inflated nonetheless, but it would probably be good to give us a general idea.

DSN2K

there's one thing I've learnt from this thread, there's a better chance of your 360 not breaking then 1up loading.

Duke Togo

tokkun said:
Statistics fun-time!

I noticed on a recent EGM podcast that Shane said that 75% of their 360s had failed.

This probability analysis is based on a relatively small sample-size, unverified statements, and reasoned assumptions. It also makes the important assumption that the 360s are a homogenous quantity - or in other words that EGM's 360s are representative of 360s as a whole. Basically, don't take the numbers too seriously.

Let's assume there are 12 360s, 8 of which have failed. I want to see what the odds are of that happening. Since the quoted number is 3-5%, I'll be kind and use 5%.

#360s failed - Odds of occurrence
00 - 54% or ~ 1 in 2
01 - 34% or ~ 1 in 3
02 - 10% or ~ 1 in 10
03 - 1.7% or ~ 1 in 60
04 - 0.2% or ~ 1 in 500
05 - 0.017% or ~ 1 in 6,000
06 - 0.0011% or ~ 1 in 90,000
07 - 0.000047% or ~ 1 in 2,000,000
08 - 0.0000016% or ~ 1 in 63,000,000 *EGM's case
09 - 0.000000037% or ~ 1 in 2,700,000,000
10 - 0.00000000058% or ~ 1 in 170,000,000,000
11 - 0.0000000000056% or ~ 1 in 18,000,000,000,000
12 - 0.000000000000024% or ~ 1 in 4,000,000,000,000,000

So, based on the assumptions stated earlier, there is a one in 63 million chance of this occurring to a given set of 12 360s. Well, let's ignore that this happened to EGM, and just assume that it was a truly random set of 360s and that this just happens to be the only case in which a specific set of 12 360s experienced a 75% failure rate (this is being very, unreasonably kind to Microsoft's numbers). If there are 10 million 360s out there, that means that there are 833,333 sets of 12 out there. So if there are 833,333 sets and a .0000016% chance that a set of 12 will experience a 75% failure rate, there is a 1 in 75 chance of this having ever occurred anywhere. Now if you're a little more realistic and say "what are the chances of this happening to a major gaming news outlet", it's even less likely. EGM is pretty high profile; let's ask what are the odds of this happening to one of the top ten video game new outlets. Now the odds are 1 in 6 million of it having ever happened.

Of course if you use a 3% failure rate the odds go to 1 in 350 million.

Microsoft has bad luck.
So either Shane is lying, or the failure rate is much higher......or Microsoft just has incredibly bad luck.

Burger

Mojovonio said:
Those numbers will be inflated, maybe to a small degree, but inflated nonetheless, but it would probably be good to give us a general idea.

There is no point. The numbers will be inacurate, they will be disuputed, and arguments will ensue.

tokkun

Bebpo said:

Besides the classical problem of surveys drawing out an unrepresentative number of negative respondents, I'd also be suspicious of the honesty of posters who might have a pro or anti-MS agenda.

Flo_Evans

I am amazed that no independant (non-internet) random polling has been done. When mine does die, I think I am going to get my lawyer friend (who loves to sue the piss out of people) start a class action.

Top Bottom