• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer "I honestly don't goal the team on how many units Sony sells"

oldergamer

So can Sony spin this and say they have more users across the playstation family as well now?
Sony did that before. Combining ps2 and ps3 sales numbers.

Man some people here have shrt memories. They called it "PlayStation family"

Skii

Although Japanese games aren't really that important from a worldwide view but Sony is the only console company that really care about all markets, while Microsoft is so USA centric (lol at the Eurozone disaster) that it hurts and Nintendo proved that they don't care about developers outside of Japan.

Yeah but those that buy a console for exclusives will almost always be interested in more than the 1st party studio offerings.

I don't mind Nintendo only sticking with Japanese developers but it's their lack of care for 3rd party developers that is slowly killing them.

I don't think the Xbone will get close to the PS4 in terms of sales, my point was more about as a consumer we're more likely to benefit from MS (or anyone) being in 2nd, as typically the console in 2nd place will need to push as many great games out as possible in order to stake any claim at all, and we can already see this happening, MS have a great line up for 2015 and beyond

Look at the Wii U even, it's already got more great games than the Wii, when your system is doing poorly you really need to push out great games

Yeah but it seems like MS aren't motivated by them being 2nd at all. They are just happy to get by this generation without losing too much market share imo.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I wouldn't say that. It's unlikely, but remember the PS3 was leagues behind at this point in its lifecycle of its competition. They rebounded, and so can Xbox.

Xbox doesn't sell well enough outside of NA to make up the gap. They basically have no chance to catch up worldwide.

RdN

It doesn't matter what good work Spencer does, the Mattrick damage is too great to overcome.

That's just ridiculous.

The Kutaragi damage wasn't too great for the PS3 to overcome, there's no reason the Xbox One will be forever bound to Mattrick's mistakes.

Ignoring all the great strides the console has done in the past year and a half is borderline fanatical fanboyism.

Yes, the Xbox One will never be the worldwide sales leader. That doesn't mean it cannot be a very successful console.

Pez

The mantle has passed to the PS4 this generation and there's no way of turning around that ship.

However, there's enough pie for everybody as long as Phil's bosses are happy with the return.

This generation needs to rebuild MS's first-party stable so they can come back swinging next generation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wouldn't say that. It's unlikely, but remember the PS3 was leagues behind at this point in its lifecycle of its competition. They rebounded, and so can Xbox.

PS3 never rebounded. They just started later and slower. This time they started faster and earlier so the gap appears dramatically different

Aceofspades

Banned

PS3 has always outsold 360 from the start thanks to WW sales picking up the slack. its just the media focus so much on USA ignoring the rest of the world resulting in painting the 360 as victor while in reality it wasn't .

MS doesn't have this luxury this gen, also PS4 is outselling X1 in all markets no exception while being more expensive. MS have no chance in hell catching up to PS4.

Yeah but it seems like MS aren't motivated by them being 2nd at all. They are just happy to get by this generation without losing too much market share imo.

You're basing that off one quote. What do you think they do all day at the Xbox division? They've been showing up to these conferences with new info and new stuff all the time. I'd say they care.

So many embarassing posts in here. These are the threads where you see who the true console warriors are on this forum

From all kinds.

Wonder when we start getting threads of phil tweeting about ideas he likes..... Oh wait we do and people act like he is promising stuff and killing their dogs because nothing comes of him having likes and dislikes. All equally annoying.

Dryk

Surprise. Grown business man don't care about childish console wars. Such a thing exists solely among fanboys.
His aim is to be financially successful and create a healthy consumer base.

but I can already see how this thread might go down.
Being #1 is a good selling point, it's something that everyone in the business should care about. But at the end of the day it's still just one selling point, and sometimes you have to be able to accept that it's too expensive to keep chasing and wait a while.

Well, outlooks and perspectives can change in. A few weeks, to months to a year. Sure he said he wanted to win last year when he just took over Xbox, but sometimes you gotta switch dynamics.

Xbox is more than just the console now - its entire gaming platform across multiple devices. Time will tell how the vision plans out, but I don't believe they need to sell 100 million Xbox's to be successful. Of course they would love that but I agree with some posters.

Keep making your product more appealing and it will grow.

I'm very happy with the direction Phil has been taking Xbox since taking over. Love the ecosystem, love the games coming out. As an xbone owner I'm happy and hope they keep doing what they're doing. After this gen you can bet the next piece of hardware they bring out is going to be a beast.

That's just ridiculous.

The Kutaragi damage wasn't too great for the PS3 to overcome, there's no reason the Xbox One will be forever bound to Mattrick's mistakes.

Ignoring all the great strides the console has done in the past year and a half is borderline fanatical fanboyism.

Yes, the Xbox One will never be the worldwide sales leader. That doesn't mean it cannot be a very successful console.

There is a difference though between your examples.

While Kutaragi may have caused lots of problems for Sony by developing an expensive and complicated console, he also created one that didnt look like it was actively trying to screw the customer over. Yes it was expensive, so expensive that they (foolishly) tried to spin it by saying people would get 2 jobs to buy one, but it was sold for a loss and actually gave people tonnes of value for their money.

With Matrtrick, they came out with a console that was not only under powered compared to its competitor, but cost a lot more and had a bunch of confusing and anti consumer policies in place that they refused/couldnt detail further for people and that hurt the brand for many people

Complete difference in situations, one was 'easy' to overcome by dropping the price and focusing on developing their 1st party games but for the other you have to try and change that negative public perception which can be either very, very hard or impossible with some people.

Its true that 360 never beat Ps3 in yearly numbers on world wide scale. Difference in EURO and Japan was too big in favor of Sony.

But the Ps3 was still a disappointment as its the follow up to the Ps2.

360 actually did reasonably well in Europe, especially in the early years. And extremely well in the US. They have lost quite a bit of share there with the Xbox One. Instead of trying to gain a bigger foothold on those markets they came up with this tier 2 bullshit.
Agreed, PS3 was a disappointment because they lost nearly 50% of their sales from the PS2 generation. 360 was a success because their sales were up 400% over the original xbox. The first year of xbone was a disaster and they have lost marketshare because of it. MS can only hope to get positive momentum and stop the bleeding like Sony did with the second half of the PS3 gen.

I thought it was a very interesting contrast to the interview Phil Spencer's gave almost one year ago to the day when he said "I want to win this generation."

Actually here is the contrasting interview from a year ago where he talks about winning sales: I want to win this generation

Tsundere Phil Spencer

kjCfFuN.jpg

(˳˘ ɜ˘)˳ ♬♪♫

Just keep doing what you're doing Phil. You're doing better than Sony/PS4 in pretty much everything but hardware specs and hardware/software sales. Of course that's just my opinion. Keep bringing the games and updating my console.

Skii

You're basing that off one quote. What do you think they do all day at the Xbox division? They've been showing up to these conferences with new info and new stuff all the time. I'd say they care.

But you just have to think that they are slowly losing motivation.

Even after their great E3 press conference with Recore, gameplay of Halo 5 and Gears 4 as well as backwards compatibility, they still couldn't rival what Sony done 9 hours later.

Even after a great gamescom for them, Sony are just going to go out to TGS with tons of Japanese exclusives that they don't even need to pay to be exclusive and after that, they'll go to Paris with actual first party exclusives and probably Quantic Dreams new game as well.

I think they understand that they aren't in any real competition with Sony now. I'll wait until next year before we are certain as Xbox has a very strong holiday line up but I'd be surprised if that changes anything.

Good. If your manager sets your goals for keeping up with a competitor, it's a really shitty work environment and not the place that any engineer would want to work at. That doesn't mean that Spencer doesn't want to "win" the generation but it means when his reports have their performance review, he doesn't ding them for how many consoles they sell relative to Sony. For what it's worth, I'd hope to god that Sony doesn't set sales goals relative to Microsoft for the reports in the Playstation division... Even if you're hitting those goals, it's a terrible work environment when your success as an employee is judged based on the sales of a competitor.

Melchiah

Xb1 and ms are trying. They show effort while sony sits on their pile of success and do nothing. No great announcements, only 3rds who were bought for timed exclusivity.
Xb1 has better games or at least games i would love to play in the future, games which will be available only on that platform. No mans sky is not enough me in the future.
I hope ms will do fine in this gen....
On the other hand they completely lost the japanese market. WP isnt doing well over there... Its more 50percent for apple over there....

Qh6wWQW.jpg

I find it funny, that Tomb Raider fits the criteria, and No Man's Sky is supposedly the only (console) exclusive game coming to the PS4, when the platform receives a steady line of bigger and smaller exclusive games throughout the year. Whereas the XBO's exclusives sway heavily towards the holiday period.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
cool. You shouldn't. Keep making your product more appealing and which is exactly what you guys are doing.

They're focusing on making good games and it's working out well for them. It's the exact reason the PS4 is doing well. Games.

Yup. You can pay attention to what the competition is doing but dont get so wrapped up in it you forget your own goals.

Take care of home and the rest will fall in place. If that means outselling the PS4 a month or 2 here n there, thats fine.

It could be alot worse. See: Wii U.

But you just have to think that they are slowly losing motivation.

Even after their great E3 press conference with Recore, gameplay of Halo 5 and Gears 4 as well as backwards compatibility, they still couldn't rival what Sony done 9 hours later.

Even after a great gamescom for them, Sony are just going to go out to TGS with tons of Japanese exclusives that they don't even need to pay to be exclusive and after that, they'll go to Paris with actual first party exclusives and probably Quantic Dreams new game as well.

I think they understand that they aren't in any real competition with Sony now. I'll wait until next year before we are certain as Xbox has a very strong holiday line up but I'd be surprised if that changes anything.

The E3 stuff is your opinion. Both companies had good showings and neither of them showed me anything that's close enough to really look forward to so it was all just posturing to me, as is usually the case with E3 (look at this game you'll be able to play in 2 years! we promise it'll be great! *the internet goes wild for no good reason* ). I was more excited for Sony's stuff if I'm going on record though.

It's a moot point anyways given the conversation is really about does MS care. Yes I'd say they do. Each console generation keeps getting longer and longer. This is an 8-10 year fight. Do you really think they're throwing in the towel less than 2 years in?

Wynnebeck

Banned

Highly doubt it especially after last holiday. Made all that space up only to lose it back again after the holidays? Yeah, I see why they are focusing on PC now.

Madness

They need to release some concrete numbers soon, especially region. I think the UK numbers are like 2.1+ million PS4 and 1.5 million Xbox One, and this was a region MS soundly won with Xbox 360 last gen. Going to be very hard to catch up, let alone overtake in UK. Don't know what US and Canada numbers are or Australia, which are where MS does pretty well. Pretty much nonexistent in Japan and EU outside of UK.

Journey

Banned
At least they final seen they can't catch the sales of the PS4

No, to put things in perspective, should the goal of Uncharted 4 be to catch up to Call of Duty, or to focus on the task at hand and make Uncharted 4 the best possible experience?

Wynnebeck

Banned
No, to put things in perspective, should the goal of Uncharted 4 be to catch up to Call of Duty, or to focus on the task at hand and make Uncharted 4 the best possible experience?

Uhh not the right comparison at all. This is more of a NBA 2K vs. NBA Live type comparison.

Personally, the console that needs to play catch up interests me more every time, it's how I felt about the PS3 last gen, it generally means more interesting and more diverse first party lineups and we're starting to see that from the Xbox now. I think at this point it's certainly worthwhile to own one, also both consoles are selling well...does it matter who wins? Just enjoy games and stop with the "my box is better than yours" bullshit, this isn't the ign comment board.

Just keep doing what you're doing Phil. You're doing better than Sony/PS4 in pretty much everything but hardware specs and hardware/software sales. Of course that's just my opinion. Keep bringing the games and updating my console.

Can't help but agree. Desperate MS = best MS.

Looking forward to snagging a bundle this holiday. I'm much more impressed with the features and updates MS has provided and their current and upcoming lineup of games are right up my alley.

Aside from the better performing games I've been less than impressed with the PS4. As someone who expects more from consoles than just playing games I'm ready to give MS a shot again.

nynt9

Personally, the console that needs to play catch up interests me more every time, it's how I felt about the PS3 last gen, it generally means more interesting and more diverse first party lineups and we're starting to see that from the Xbox now. I think at this point it's certainly worthwhile to own one, also both consoles are selling well...does it matter who wins? Just enjoy games and stop with the "my box is better than yours" bullshit, this isn't the ign comment board.

I think "at this point" isn't true, maybe by the end of 2016 it will be a good time but right now the heaviest hitters aren't out yet, even Halo 5 isn't here yet.

LooseLips

by 'goal the team' does he mean 'set targets for the team'? Horrible use of language. We have enough verbs, stop making new ones.

This. Goal ain't a verb, Phil.

On topic, yes,I don't think a 'win' in sales volume is likely, so why target it? Good choice to build reputation, improve offerings and push as far as you can. After all,they ARE ahead of the 360's trajectory.

kmax

Just continue with the direction to deliver quality content and a great experience and you'll be fine. Shoving shit down people's throats with the buildup and the reveal is what set them back from the get go. It's going to take time to salvage that train wreck.

Wynnebeck

Banned

I wish I could feel the same about Xbone so I would finally have an interest in buying one, but sadly the games that I've seen haven't interested me at all outside of Halo 5 and Cuphead. Besides that it's the same old thing in my opinion and it's not enough to make me want to get a new Xbone over my PS4/Wii U/PC.

Ace001

Xb1 and ms are trying. They show effort while sony sits on their pile of success and do nothing. No great announcements, only 3rds who were bought for timed exclusivity.
Xb1 has better games or at least games i would love to play in the future, games which will be available only on that platform. No mans sky is not enough me in the future.
I hope ms will do fine in this gen....
On the other hand they completely lost the japanese market. WP isnt doing well over there... Its more 50percent for apple over there....

Ah ha! So that's what sony's first party studios have been doing. Thank you

Trago

Considering that they are perusing PC gamers as well, I feel the same way. PC gaming is bigger than ever, of course they want a piece of the pie, while also kicking ass in the console space.

So good for Phil on making their brand more competitive and attractive over the last year.

see5harp

Maybe next time don't release a console that is both weaker and more expensive (and harder to develop for to boot). It's shocking to me how they allowed Sony to grab back all of the mindshare that they lost last gen in the major markets.

Breaking news: every word that comes out of an executive's mouth is PR, and if you sit and nitpick the details of it and compare old statements and whatever else it is you're doing, you are missing the point in a pretty spectacular way and literally wasting your time.

Anything he says publicly is what he thinks is the most beneficial thing to say at the time, and that's the beginning and end of it. And that's the same of anyone in a similar position. The public face of an executive is never a real person saying real things.

Can't help but agree. Desperate MS = best MS.

Looking forward to snagging a bundle this holiday. I'm much more impressed with the features and updates MS has provided and their current and upcoming lineup of games are right up my alley.

Aside from the better performing games I've been less than impressed with the PS4. As someone who expects more from consoles than just playing games I'm ready to give MS a shot again.

You're jumping in at a good time. Great games coming and a new OS.

I wish I could feel the same about Xbone so I would finally have an interest in buying one, but sadly the games that I've seen haven't interested me at all outside of Halo 5 and Cuphead. Besides that it's the same old thing in my opinion and it's not enough to make me want to get a new Xbone over my PS4/Wii U/PC.

That's understandable. If that games aren't for you then the console isn't for you. That's why I haven't bought a Wii U.

see5harp

With xbox "focusing on pc" (LOL) you'll never have to even pretend that you even are interested in maybe buying one.

oti

Banned
K, I guess. Just make good games, release some of them on PC and be nice to players.

I'm so jelly because of the BC.
And I need Scalebound in my life.

Journey

Banned
Uhh not the right comparison at all. This is more of a NBA 2K vs. NBA Live type comparison.

Ok then, do you agree that NBA 2K should try to change based on NBA Live (if NBA Live was selling better, not necessarily being the better game) instead of focusing on how to make NBA 2K better?

Walpurgis

Banned
So can Sony spin this and say they have more users across the playstation family as well now?

What spin? PS3+PS4 has more sales than 360+xbone. They could include the Vita there too if they want. If they used every PlayStation platform since PS1, the result would be the same.

Top Bottom