• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: We're upping our investment with first party and committed to innovate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Nadella investing more money each and every yeah in the Xbox division and they ain't doing that,

No they're just spending billions on making the Scorpio and on One S.
Microsoft is all getting set to pull out *rolleyes*

If you're going to cut your losses you don't make update your current console never mind fund a new one, just ask SEGA.

So a title that looks bad and features boss battles that don't look fun is a hugely important title right...... Recore was quite different, but I'm sure people pointed out the frame rate hiccups and what not. Like I said if it comes out on the XBox it's rubbish and not worth getting a console for. If it canned it 'was' the game that was going to make me want the console.

You're missing the main point. Even discounting all the other factors like it being a Japanese developed game, etc, Scalebound was more important than ReCore in many ways for one simple reason.

It's AAA.

ReCore was not. Ori was not.

The reality of discussing first-party portfolios & long-term franchise outlook does not escape the bias of AAA games over lower budget AA games, no matter how much "better" they might be, or are.

One of the reason that prediction list that has things like "new IP announcement" has AAA or AA attached to it, is because from an expectation standpoint, people are hopeful that whatever new IP is announced is a big-budget blockbuster game.

Synth

I don't consider Minecraft a Xbox studio/IP, its more of a Microsoft IP if anything.

Sure, but MS certainly seems to. Mojang are listed alongside 343i, The Coalition, Turn 10 and Rare on Microsoft Studios sites, and everything concerning the IP appears to go through Spencer. I vaguely remember an interview with someone from Xbox (possibly Phil Spencer) specifically stating that the Minecraft acquisition was an Xbox deal, that they went out and made happen.

It's obviously a slightly different situation to many other IP, in that it's not being restricted only to MS' platforms... but that's not really anything new either. MS has shown consistently that'll they'll put their games on other platforms if they feel it makes sense. As a result, you have stuff like Halo on iOS in the form of Spartan Strike/Assualt, there was a Viva Pinata and Blue Dragon for DS, and Halo Wars just released on Steam. Minecraft is simply too big and established to reign back into being only on MS' platforms without damaging the worth of the IP massively. When Mojang put out Cobalt on the other hand though... that went directly to the MS platforms you'd expect it to, rather than seeing a PlayStation release.

You're missing the main point. Even discounting all the other factors like it being a Japanese developed game, etc, Scalebound was more important than ReCore in many ways for one simple reason.

Keiji Inafune and Comcept are Japanese, but I take it the whole game needs to be made in Japan because Japanese developers are the best?

KORNdoggy

If you're going to cut your losses you don't make update your current console never mind fund a new one, just ask SEGA.

while i don't believe for one second MS are pulling out of the market, there is such a thing as the last ditch effort. i imagine after the failure of the saturn, sega were very much at that point where they developed the dreamcast knowing full well it's failure would result in the end of their hardware business. it was their last ditch effort to be successful. and it isn't out of the realm of possibility that MS are doing the same with the scorpio, but i doubt it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
while i don't believe for one second MS are pulling out of the market, there is such a thing as the last ditch effort. i imagine after the failure of the saturn, sega were very much at that point where they developed the dreamcast knowing full well it's failure would result in the end of their hardware business. it was their last ditch effort to be successful. and it isn't out of the realm of possibility that MS are doing the same with the scorpio, but i doubt it.

To be fair... had SEGA gone third party instead of developing the Dreamcast they would have gone into that with lots and lots more cash and staff and maybe they would have been more successful. Sorry for the aside :/.

Raide

Damn, pretty much all MS threads get super negative and bitchy. I really hope they have some cool stuff to show at E3, else the negativity threads will continue, despite them having already announced some cool games.

Fredrik

Damn, pretty much all MS threads get super negative and bitchy. I really hope they have some cool stuff to show at E3, else the negativity threads will continue, despite them having already announced some cool games.
The negativity will never end and the bigger a threat they get to someones favorite console the bigger the smaller issues will get, prepare for even more negativity if MS has a great E3 and learn to ignore that noise and just be happy that Xbox kind of gets a second chance now with Scorpio.

Pretty sure MS E3 thread will still negative, no matter it's cool or bad show.

Well you should check Saturn and Dreamcast's LTD sales, then check XB1's current LTD sales.
Also, Scorpio is not a next-gen console, Phil even used some words like "niche" to label Scorpio, they never ever expect it will going to sell a lot.

sega were very much at that point where they developed the dreamcast knowing full well it's failure would result in the end of their hardware business. it was their last ditch effort to be successful. and it isn't out of the realm of possibility that MS are doing the same with the scorpio, but i doubt it.

What ? Less than 3 years into the DC life . SEGA didn't make a model 2 or Mark II redesigned DC (something it did with the previous consoles) it didn't put any of its R&D teams making a new console with a leading edge GPU.It stopped all production and pulled out totally of the Hardware game...

Now in your world, MS might appear to be doing the same. In the real world!. MS have redesigned the XBox One and set to bring out a new console with a kick ass GPU at the cost of billions to the corp (the old XBox One GPU cost over a billion to develop)

For sure MS is all set to pull out of the console game *rolleyes*

Poster#1

What ? Less than 3 years into the DC life . SEGA didn't make a model 2 or Mark II redesigned DC (something it did with the previous consoles) it didn't put any of its R&D teams making a new console with a leading edge GPU.It stopped all production and pulled out totally of the Hardware game...

Now in your world, MS might appear to be doing the same. In the real world!. MS have redesigned the XBox One and set to bring out a new console with a kick ass GPU at the cost of billions to the corp (the old XBox One GPU cost over a billion to develop)

For sure MS is all set to pull out of the console game *rolleyes*

It cost a billion dollars to develop GPU??

Leyasu

Banned

The negativity will never end and the bigger a threat they get to someones favorite console the bigger the smaller issues will get, prepare for even more negativity if MS has a great E3 and learn to ignore that noise and just be happy that Xbox kind of gets a second chance now with Scorpio.

Pretty much. As well, 50 fucking pages lol. It always seems like the most vocal, are the ones who don't like it the most.

Pretty sure MS E3 thread will still negative, no matter it's cool or bad show.

It wouldn't matter what they announced at any e3. There will always be something for some people to moan about.

It's best to avoid these threads. It's just the same people saying the same shit that they said in the other weekly threads about the same subject

Inafune doesn't actually make games, he basically lent his name to that project.

You worked with Inafune-san have you ?. It's not much different with how Mistwalker or the old Enix (which never had its own In-House studio) went about things. You come up with a concept or plan and get an outside team to program it.

It cost a billion dollars to develop GPU??

$1.5 billion is said to have been the deal that MS signed with AMD to the developer the XBox One CPU/GPU and bring all that to retail, said to be half a billion more than what SONY paid, even though its a weaker chipset.

Hell it cost SEGA $300 million to develop the DC chipset and that's way back in the mid 90's Making a leading edge console doesn't come cheap (so please no Switch comments)

KORNdoggy

1. calm down dear, i said i don't think MS are pulling out of the race.

2. i said the Saturn was essentially what killed Sega. Dreamcast was simply their last ditch effort to turn things around after the fact...that effort failed. and while i personally don't think the Scorpio is a last ditch effort by MS, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that it could be.

ubiblu

Without securing exclusivity on some major established franchises, I can't see Microsoft's showing at E3 be anything other than disasterous. Even then, anything of value sounds like it's going to be cinematic teasers of games very early in development.

Fredrik

Pretty much. As well, 50 fucking pages lol. It always seems like the most vocal, are the ones who don't like it the most.

It wouldn't matter what they announced at any e3. There will always be something for some people to moan about.

It's best to avoid these threads. It's just the same people saying the same shit that they said in the other weekly threads about the same subject
Yeah it's a bit silly really. Makes you wonder why it has gone this way. Is it because lots of people jumped ship this gen and bought a PS4 to get the most powerful console and now they won't have that anymore? Some kind of jealousy? Or is the DRM thing still a sore point?
It's unfortunate anyway, every news bit that could possibly be seen as positive for MS is quickly over run by negative remarks. The Hot Wheels FH3 expansion is an exception, it was 100% positive and max hype for pages. Not sure how long it lasted though.

KORNdoggy

Yep, they could announce 5 new AAA IP's scheduled for release within the next 2 years and the complaints will just morph into "nothing they've announced appeals to me" posts.

like the sony and nintendo threads then? face it people, it's the same no matter where you go.

leeh

Without securing exclusivity on some major established franchises, I can't see Microsoft's showing at E3 be anything other than disasterous. Even then, anything of value sounds like it's going to be cinematic teasers of games very early in development.
In terms of this board, that would probably be the worst thing to happen. We don't want a replay that hypocritical RoTR situation.

1. calm down dear, i said i don't think MS are pulling out of the race.

2. i said the Saturn was essentially what killed Sega. Dreamcast was simply their last ditch effort to turn things around after the fact...that effort failed. and while i personally don't think the Scorpio is a last ditch effort by MS, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that it could be.

Don't know why you're telling me to calm down. If MS weren't redesigned the One or bring out a new console, then your comparison with SEGA 'could' have been sensible and based on facts with rational thinking.

It's not and MS don't need to do to a last ditch effort, it got billion in the bank, unlike SEGA. So sorry think you're wrong and the SEGA analogy doesn't fit

AAA is not really subjective .
It just mean the game has big budget for development\marketing .
And certain aspect come with that .

It's subjective when we never know the costs of what it cost to make. Who knows how much Recore cost to make. For what I read of the development of JSR it was done in 9 months with a small team and cost little to make.In my eyes, it was very a AAA game though. The only think that got to me with Recore was its engine, can't help but think Unreal 4 would have been better

Yeah it's a bit silly really. Makes you wonder why it has gone this way. Is it because lots of people jumped ship this gen and bought a PS4 to get the most powerful console and now they won't have that anymore? Some kind of jealousy? Or is the DRM thing still a sore point?
It's unfortunate anyway, every news bit that could possibly be seen as positive for MS is quickly over run by negative remarks. The Hot Wheels FH3 expansion is an exception, it was 100% positive and max hype for pages. Not sure how long it lasted though.

Crazy. It's almost like we're on a forum full of differing opinions. That thread about Xbox offering refunds was full of positive comments. Threads where Phil Spencer says he's committed to first-party games typically don't. It's not hard to imagine why one type of topic garners more attention.

There's like five posts on this page about how it just doesn't matter what MS does because no one will be happy anyway. Like seriously, go to a Nintendo thread and tell me it's not the same there (if not worst). When PS4 first came out, we had a good year of "ps4 has no games". Threads are always full of
criticism on gaf, some reasonable, some not. It's no conspiracy.

like the sony and nintendo threads then? face it people, it's the same no matter where you go.

Pretty much.

Purest 78

MS have tons of money Just about any other company the Xbox would be dead. No way they could sustained the loses xbox has had. So Sega is a terrible comparison to MS.

HussiZooT

I don't know if this has been asked but for all the PS4 and PS4 Pro owners...

What exactly should Microsoft do to get you to buy their console as well. I know people want exclusives, but what type of exclusives will make you dig into your wallet and shell out money for an X-Box?

If I remember correctly, when X-Box 360 launched, I was still primarily a PlayStation guy. But games such as Gears of War, Mass Effect, Crackdown and Alan Wake, all of them really persuaded me to get myself an X-Box. I did eventually trade it in for a PS3 after I got my 3rd RROD in a span of 6 months.

But what I'm saying is, Microsoft had brand new, original IP when they launched the 360. I didn't see anything too compelling with the X-Box One yet. So when the Scorpio launches, I want more unique/original/new AAA exclusives and not just a sequel to Gears or Halo or Forza or Crackdown.
Maybe then I'd chip in.

What about the rest of you?

KORNdoggy

It's not and MS don't need to do to a last ditch effort, it got billion in the bank, unlike SEGA.

billions in the bank =/= billions to burn. at the end of the day they still have investors that they need to keep happy. and those investors would love to see xbox dead and buried since it's where MS lose the most cash. yes MS have a billion dollar corporation, but that doesn't mean they will continue to pour cash on the fire just to keep it burning. so how much they have in the bank isn't really relevant at all otherwise we'd still have lionhead games to look forward to and scalebound would be releasing this year, becasue hey, it's just money right, why not throw more cash at failing businesses, that always works out well. lol

mcrommert

Banned

Yep... They are always negative no matter what

Don't read gaf during e3... It's complete insanity

leeh

billions in the bank =/= billions to burn. at the end of the day they still have investors that they need to keep happy. and those investors would love to see xbox dead and buried since it's where MS lose the most cash. yes MS have a billion dollar corporation, but that doesn't mean they will continue to pour cash on the fire just to keep it burning. so how much they have in the bank isn't really relevant at all otherwise we'd still have lionhead games to look forward to and scalebound would be releasing this year, becasue hey, it's just money right, why not throw more cash at failing businesses, that always works out well. lol
Can we stop this Xbox looses money circle jerk. It couldn't be any further away from the truth. Xbox has been profitable for a very long time now. It's also very important to their business strategy/model leverages their enterprise tech stacks.

What exactly should Microsoft do to get you to buy their console as well. I know people want exclusives, but what type of exclusives will make you dig into your wallet and shell out money for an X-Box?

If I remember correctly, when X-Box 360 launched, I was still primarily a PlayStation guy. But games such as Titanfall, Gears of War and Alan Wake, all of them really persuaded me to get myself an X-Box. I did eventually trade it in for a PS3 after I got my 3rd RROD in a span of 6 months.

But what I'm saying is, Microsoft had brand new, original IP when they launched the 360. I didn't see anything too compelling with the X-Box One yet. So when the Scorpio launches, I want more unique/original/new AAA exclusives and not just a sequel to Gears or Halo or Forza or Crackdown.
Maybe then I'd chip in.

I think it's a hard sale to pull a major amount of new owners at this point. It only makes sense MS would try to appeal to its core. Though I fought it for years, I've realized that I'll own an Xbox as long as a halo is on it lol. I kind of wish either Sony or MS would fund their own battle royale game personally, but I doubt either would.

Can we stop this Xbox looses money circle jerk. It couldn't be any further away from the truth. Xbox has been profitable for a very long time now. It's also very important to their business strategy/model leverages their enterprise tech stacks.

I'd imagine the name alone holds value, especially as they're trying to break into that PC market as well.

El Topo

They're not losing money, even if console sales are disappointing. XBL is a cash machine. At least from what I recall.

KORNdoggy

If I remember correctly, when X-Box 360 launched, I was still primarily a PlayStation guy. But games such as Titanfall, Gears of War and Alan Wake, all of them really persuaded me to get myself an X-Box. I did eventually trade it in for a PS3 after I got my 3rd RROD in a span of 6 months.

Maybe then I'd chip in.

i already have the xbone, but lots of great character driven action games would do it for me. if MS can come to E3 with a bag of last of us quality titles i can't get anywhere else, then i'm back in. as for their three pillar franchises though, i was done with those last gen and i don't see anything changing in that regard as long as they continue to stay faithful to their old design principles...a third person action game in the halo universe? that might be something interesting. that shangheist game looked like the sort of thing to excite me too, but it was cast aside for yet another gears game.

i dunno, for me the big appeal of the xbox brand originally was games like splinter cell, riddick, doom, rallisport challenge, voodoo vince, bloodwake, jet set radio future, PGR, KOTOR, jade empire, half life 2, wolfenstein, conker...hell, even galeon.

now look at those games. most of them were only exclusive because it was substantially more powerful than the PS2. other IP's sit unused, or they were made by devs that are now third party. MS need to get back having a catalog of games like that. but due to the changing gaming landscape were third party exclusives are rare and games are designed with scalability at the forefront and even first party studio's are risk averse...it's probably unlikely to ever happen.

sony seemed to adapt to this by really doubling down on first party output and studio acquisition. but MS just didn't.

Shiggy

I really wonder to what degree this is true. While they were actively seeking a buyer in 2013/14 (all the gossip was there for a reason), a sale of the Xbox division seems pretty much off the table right now. That certainly points to them trying to make the best of the situation, while reducing costs and investments - thus increasing profit margins and improving ratios.

I really wonder to what degree this is true. While they were actively seeking a buyer in 2013/14 (all the gossip was there for a reason), a sale of the Xbox division seems pretty much off the table right now. That certainly points to them trying to make the best of the situation, while reducing costs and investments - thus increasing profit margins and improving ratios.

Got a link for this? Did a quick Google search and nothing came up.

leeh

I know the saying there's no smoke without fire, but that's based on silly analysts and nothing tbh.

Let me say it this way, in-terms of sheer revenue, Xbox made 1.2 billion more than windows in '16, made more than double the revenue of Surface and is 40% of the size of their largest division (Office).

It isn't going anywhere. You know guys, if you kept up with financials when people here seem to claim to know so much, you'd get a completely different picture of what Xbox means to MS. It's a god-damn powerhouse. You don't give up a division which as so much of a fan culture behind it and generates 9 billion in a year.

EDIT: Sauce https://www.microsoft.com/investor/reports/ar16/index.html

I feel like the only reason that stopped is because Nadella said he wanted gaming to be apart of the company. Had he not said that those rumors would still be circling today.

Poster#1

$1.5 billion is said to have been the deal that MS signed with AMD to the developer the XBox One CPU/GPU and bring all that to retail, said to be half a billion more than what SONY paid, even though its a weaker chipset.

Hell it cost SEGA $300 million to develop the DC chipset and that's way back in the mid 90's Making a leading edge console doesn't come cheap (so please no Switch comments)
Wow I didn't know it cost that much. Thanks​ for the information.

I know the saying there's no smoke without fire, but that's based on silly analysts and nothing tbh.

Let me say it this way, in-terms of sheer revenue, Xbox made 1.2 billion more than windows in '16, made more than double than Surface and is 40% of the size of their largest division (Office).

It isn't going anywhere. You know guys, if you kept up with financials when people here seem to claim to know so much, you'd get a completely different picture of what Xbox means to MS. It's a god-damn powerhouse.

Damn. That's wild. I never thought Xbox was going to go away, but that's interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe then I'd chip in.

Titanfall was a showcase for xbone. It did launched for 360 as well, but it wasn't a launch game either.

And I disagree about Crackdown 3. The first was well loved and the sequel was asked a lot, when MS finally decided to do it the developers weren't available anymore and Crackdown 2 happened, and now they are giving us the proper sequel we asked, far from being them over exploring the same franchise.

As for new ip they started the gen with Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, D4, Max and the Curse of Brotherhood, the aforementioned Titanfall, Quantum Break, Project Spark, and even had Garden Warfare as a timed exclusive. If that wasn't enough to win you or anyone else over honestly I don't think there's much they can announce at E3 that will.

Voyr

Banned
Call me crazy, but I feel like saving scorpio reveal for E3 means there's not much in the "games" category. The discussion that'll happen will revolve around the console, it's price and so on... With some games sprinkled in. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Let me say it this way, in-terms of sheer revenue, Xbox made 1.2 billion more than windows in '16, made more than double the revenue of Surface and is 40% of the size of their largest division (Office).

It isn't going anywhere. You know guys, if you kept up with financials when people here seem to claim to know so much, you'd get a completely different picture of what Xbox means to MS. It's a god-damn powerhouse. You don't give up a division which as so much of a fan culture behind it and generates 9 billion in a year.

Thanks for the info, interesting read

otakukidd

Hey I got a question, been looking and haven't found anything newer but is Xbox still being shielded by Microsofts Android patents? I know as of 2014 they were making 2 billion a year just on patents for Android phones and it was used to prop up the division Xbox and windows phone was in.

Maybe then I'd chip in.

A lot of folks got a 360 cause third party games just ran better, the party chat was more advanced compared to the PS3 at the time and the Xbox live store was pretty good. Also, gears looked insane at the time so you had to get a 360 for that. However, they stopped diversifying their games portfolio and just doubled down on aka bros shooters console. While some may scream BS it's the truth when JP ips sell poor on it.

leeh

Hey I got a question, been looking and haven't found anything newer but is Xbox still being shielded by Microsofts Android patents? I know as of 2014 they were making 2 billion a year just on patents for Android phones and it was used to prop up the division Xbox and windows phone was in.
The revenue figure I got was from the breakdown of of the personal computing division, which includes that patent, as of the clause here:
Patent licensing includes our programs to license patents across a broad array of technology areas, including mobile devices and cloud offerings.
This will most likely come under the section of "Other" or "Phone" (most likely phone, to bump up the numbers there) in the personal computing breakdown.

I'm guessing this claim came from Xbox being in the same division that patents is grouped in, but the breakdown of that division is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom