• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: We're upping our investment with first party and committed to innovate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this has been asked but for all the PS4 and PS4 Pro owners...

What exactly should Microsoft do to get you to buy their console as well. I know people want exclusives, but what type of exclusives will make you dig into your wallet and shell out money for an X-Box?

If I remember correctly, when X-Box 360 launched, I was still primarily a PlayStation guy. But games such as Gears of War, Mass Effect, Crackdown and Alan Wake, all of them really persuaded me to get myself an X-Box. I did eventually trade it in for a PS3 after I got my 3rd RROD in a span of 6 months.

But what I'm saying is, Microsoft had brand new, original IP when they launched the 360. I didn't see anything too compelling with the X-Box One yet. So when the Scorpio launches, I want more unique/original/new AAA exclusives and not just a sequel to Gears or Halo or Forza or Crackdown.
Maybe then I'd chip in.

What about the rest of you?

For me I just want a variety of games. If I'm going to buy another console it will be games I can't play anywhere else. Proper exclusives. Show me 4 or 5 of these with more in the pipeline and I would be sold. I just wish in the end of the 360 era they had taken some chances on some new IP. They don't have to be a blockbuster, I think I saw a thread recently where Nier Automata was celebrating 1 million sales. That is not a lot but get a few of those, Nioh being another one and you suddenly not only have more variety but a base for a sequel which over time may grow. It's such a shame as the early 360 days they killed it. From my limited perspective it feels like MS is a corporate outfit wanting profit where as in Sony and Nintendo are corporate outfits wanting profit but with a passion for games.

The decision to buy a ps4 at the console launch was total confidence that the unique exclusive games would come. It's only ever a matter of time in my experience. That was the sole reason, not price, not power but the promise of games. Probably why I will purchase a ps5 too.

I just want MS to get back to their best. Not arrogant or chest beating, not giving spin, just release a stream of decent games with no gimmicks, cloud computing or microtransactions, that to play I need the console. Rinse and repeat. Get back to basics and im a customer again.

All opinion obviously, but I love gaming and have done for a lot of years. I don't want any of the three doing badly because ultimately we lose

Q1 FY 2017 gaming revenue was down 5%
Q2 FY 2017 gaming revenue was down 3%
Q3 FY 2017 gaming revenue was up 4%

Yeah they're killing it so far this fiscal year

Where's the losses in any of that? Maybe instead of telling others, it's you need to go back and read MS revenue reports. Last time I looked the Box division made a profit and the division that houses the XBox had 'operating income' of just under $2Billion for Q4 2016

It was the mobile phone division that posted a huge loss and it seems that MS is sticking with that too

leeh

Please tell me how profitable Xbox was each quarter and there operating expenses for those quarters I listed then

Revenue is not direct profit it is things sold through retail among other channels.

Net Profit is what we want to actually be looking at. Also need to look at operating expenses for xbox division as well.
Please tell me what the Xbox division invested in 2016 which would equate to a 9 billion dollar division to going in the red.

I'm very interested in hearing your ideas.

You're only giving this angle because they don't disclose net income. Guess what, they don't disclose it for any division, just overall.

King_Moc

Banned
For me I just want a variety of games. If I'm going to buy another console it will be games I can't play anywhere else. Proper exclusives. Show me 4 or 5 of these with more in the pipeline and I would be sold. I just wish in the end of the 360 era they had taken some chances on some new IP. They don't have to be a blockbuster, I think I saw a thread recently where Nier Automata was celebrating 1 million sales. That is not a lot but get a few of those, Nioh being another one and you suddenly not only have more variety but a base for a sequel which over time may grow. It's such a shame as the early 360 days they killed it. From my limited perspective it feels like MS is a corporate outfit wanting profit where as in Sony and Nintendo are corporate outfits wanting profit but with a passion for games.e

Microsoft canned every series that was selling less than 5 million copies per game (except Forza), pretty much. And yes, you're right, in doing so they destroyed any hint of variety and uniqueness their console had. I'm still not sure that they really get this though.

It's extremely difficult to tell from the outside. Revenue figures are easy to come by, but net income at a granular enough level is much more closely guarded. Mostly what we have is a lot of speculation, some positive and some negative. If there's any hard evidence regarding profitability of the Xbox division one way or another I'd be very interested.

Not that it matters to me as a consumer so long as they're willing to invest in a solid hardware platform and deliver unique experiences I find compelling. They earned my business two generations in a row, and I've been close to jumping in a few times this generation but I'm not there yet. It's hard to believe E3 is right around the corner. Tick, tock.

it's quite easy to tell from the outside
just have a look at EA, Activision, Ubisoft, TakeTwo, Sony and any other major gaming publisher

margins and profits went up considerably the last years
even Nintendo barley lost money and is now back in the black
the exact margins and profits are hard (impossible) to tell of course, but it's even harder to not make nice profits as a big gaming company today

this was the last quarter
Total Personal Computing Revenue $8.836bn
Windows ~ 4.6bn
Gaming 1.928bn
Surface 0.831bn
Bing ~ 1.7bn
Total Operating Income 2.097bn
overall gross margin of ~24%

change over the last 5 quarter:
18,3% > 11,7% > 20,7% > 21,15% > 23,75%

Dehnus

Please tell me what the Xbox division invested in 2016 which would equate to a 9 billion dollar division to going in the red.

You're only giving this angle because they don't disclose net income. Guess what, they don't disclose it for any division, just overall.
I get the idea that some just wanted them out of the industry. They are just responding here to do their little war.

Microsoft canned every series that was selling less than 5 million copies per game (except Forza), pretty much. And yes, you're right, in doing so they destroyed any hint of variety and uniqueness their console had. I'm still not sure that they really get this though.

Pretty sure Crackdown and some more never sold 5 million though...

leeh

this was the last quarter

overall gross margin of ~24%

change over the last 5 quarter:
18,3% > 11,7% > 20,7% > 21,15% > 23,75%
Theyre good numbers. Didn't know this was disclosed in the quarterlies.

I'd be interested in actually seeing the breakdown of the margins. I'd wager to say that Xbox & Windows is hugely contributing to that and Bing/surface are dragging it down.

She's back.....

anigif_enhanced-4276-1396997562-7.gif

Theyre good numbers. Didn't know this was disclosed in the quarterlies.

I'd be interested in actually seeing the breakdown of the margins. I'd wager to say that Xbox & Windows is hugely contributing to that and Bing/surface are dragging it down.

it's save to assume Windows is the highest both in total $ and % margin
even tho the new distribution of Windows 10 is cutting into margins heavily compared to classic Windows sales as software in the XP / 7 era

Surface is hardware and hardware is always low(er).
In the last Conference Call Amy Hood talked about more price competition in the segment and that as a factor for lower Surface revenue. that should have also an impact on the margin for the Surface sub segment

Bing is still a fairly new segment when it comes to profits and was profitable for the first time 7 quarter ago on revenue of ~680 million
Search is heavily dependent on scalability to make profits
It's really hard to tell, where Bing gross margins are.

Windows > Xbox > Bing > Surface is my best guess
But there is one thing i know for certain. Microsoft has no main segment anymore, that is losing money after cutting mobile phones.

edit: isn't all this talk kinda offtopic?

Then why did Sony disclose in a report specific profits for specific divisions like gaming?

"More importantly, gaming-related profit rose by an impressive 46.9 billion yen to 135.6 billion yen (roughly $1.1 billion), up from 88.7 billion yen the year prior."
Endgadget

because Microsoft and Sony operate and organize their company different
Microsoft has 3 main divisions and each has Subsegments (MPC has 4, IC has 2 and P&BP has 4)
Sony has 10 different reporting segments

and all this stuff changes over time as companies reorganize and restructure

Papacheeks

Banned

Then why did Sony disclose in a report specific profits for specific divisions like gaming?

"More importantly, gaming-related profit rose by an impressive 46.9 billion yen to 135.6 billion yen (roughly $1.1 billion), up from 88.7 billion yen the year prior."
Endgadget

Fair enough

But Doesn't MS hide Xbox behind the personal computing ? So there is almost no real way to tell if Xbox is profitable or not ?
Yeah they do it for a reason. They don't want investors to get cold feet on any single product or service and try to push the company to make short term decisions instead of investing in long term visions for products and services.

leeh

Endgadget
Cause that's Sony and not MS...

You can get the operating income in the quarterlies as posted above.

Papacheeks

Banned
Cause that's Sony and not MS...

You can get the operating income in the quarterlies as posted above.

So this from your link:
"Reflects the impact of the net revenue deferral from Windows 10 of $6.6 billion, which decreased operating income, net income, and diluted earnings per share (“EPS”) by $6.6 billion, $4.6 billion, and $0.58, respectively."
Doesn't show xbox not doing well since Xbox is looped in with windows 10?

Because that right there does not show it's going well if it is contributing to decreasing operating income, net income.

Lady Gaia

it's quite easy to tell from the outside
just have a look at EA, Activision, Ubisoft, TakeTwo, Sony and any other major gaming publisher

Software publishers have very different operating expense structures than hardware manufactuers. Lumping the two together makes no sense at all for financial analysis. Gross revenues when you're selling hardware always look impressive, but margins are extremely slim when you're used to selling software.

Without real insight into operating expenses it's not easy to tell at all. Manufacturing costs, R&D, capital expenditures in general, and salaries can vary wildly depending on how efficiently you're able to run the business. My point wasn't that Microsoft is doing well or badly but that we don't have much insight to make claims one way or another. I asked for pointers to hard evidence and have seen nothing other than revenue figures.

Anyone who thinks $9B in revenue must be good and can't possibly be more than offset by expenses has never done any investing. There are plenty of giant companies that struggle to show a profit despite enormous revenue streams, and others that do very well in what look superficially like similar circumstances. That's pretty much my entire point on that front.

I agree with the general sentiment that the real challenge is offering compelling experiences to draw customers. If you're growing there are easier ways to manage your investment in a business than if you're struggling with declining market share. That doesn't mean there aren't satisfied customers that Xbox serves well, just that they've underperformed at least some expectations and have obvious opportunities for improvement. First party investment fits neatly into this role if done well.

So this from your link:
Doesn't show xbox not doing well since Xbox is looped in with windows 10?

Because that right there does not show it's going well if it is contributing to decreasing operating income, net income.
that is accounting
the windows 10 deferral has nothing to do with xbox. what should be the impact?
and as you see, the $6.6bn revenue deferral reduce operating income by $6.6bn or 100%
why? because it's accounted in Corporate and Other just like a potential depreciation

it's also the reason, Microsoft reports both GAAP and non GAAP results. the difference is the Windows 10 deferrals

Software publishers have very different operating expense structures than hardware manufactuers. Lumping the two together makes no sense at all for financial analysis. Gross revenues when you're selling hardware always look impressive, but margins are extremely slim when you're used to selling software.
That's why i included Sony. Sony is also both publisher and platform holder.
Gaming is not only Xbox Console. Gaming is also Xbox on Pc and Mobile and Minecraft on different platform.

and Hardware revenue is actually down, while Software and Service is up (last 9 months YoY comparison)
C-cnfihXoAA_xrl.jpg:large

the low margin hardware revenue is going down
the high margin software and service revenue is going up
another indicator for higher profitability - so you kinda agree with me here

Sonys Playstation Hardware revenue for FY2016 was 38% (FY2015 was 48%) of total G&NS revenue
My estimate for Microsoft is about 30% or even slightly below that

but it's getting really offtopic now. we should stop here :)

What exactly should Microsoft do to get you to buy their console as well. I know people want exclusives, but what type of exclusives will make you dig into your wallet and shell out money for an X-Box?

If I remember correctly, when X-Box 360 launched, I was still primarily a PlayStation guy. But games such as Gears of War, Mass Effect, Crackdown and Alan Wake, all of them really persuaded me to get myself an X-Box. I did eventually trade it in for a PS3 after I got my 3rd RROD in a span of 6 months.

But what I'm saying is, Microsoft had brand new, original IP when they launched the 360. I didn't see anything too compelling with the X-Box One yet. So when the Scorpio launches, I want more unique/original/new AAA exclusives and not just a sequel to Gears or Halo or Forza or Crackdown.
Maybe then I'd chip in.

To be frank, the last time I was compelled to buy a Microsoft console was during the 360 era. Microsoft had (at the time) a much better-running console, and had amazing software in the form of Bioshock, Alan Wake, and Mass Effect, two of which at least were the defining games of that generation. I was into it.

The problem for me is that not only did the better two of those games come out on Playstation anyway, but that Microsoft just seemed to stop caring about making compelling software. The last few years of the 360 were so dismal and barren to me, and Playstation just could not stop putting out great software and building a library I really cared about. (In the interest of full disclosure, I also have never really been compelled by dudebro military shooters, so Halo and Gears never really did it for me).

So, the answer to "What can MS do to make me buy a Scorpio" is kind of... probably nothing at this point. I don't particularly trust that they give a shit about software, they seem to really only care about Xbox as a column on a profit spreadsheet, and (for me), there's not much they offer that competes with Sony and Nintendo's lineup of games, which suit me much better.

Thorrgal

Maybe then I'd chip in.

I got the 360 for The Witcher 2 and Fable, so I'd get one if Cyberpunk was an exclusive. If not maybe for a good Fable bundle, or some nice RPG, or souls like game

Rymuth

How about investing in your marketing Phil. This recent sweepstake is only available for North Americans despite being a general tweet on the Xbox account. Just terrible.
To be fair, have you looked at the PAL threads? XBO Software software rarely charts, if ever, as opposed to other platforms like Switch, PC and even last gen like Wii and PS3.

it's all moot at this point.

What exactly should Microsoft do to get you to buy their console as well.[/SPOILER]

PS4 Pro Owner here.

Variety by the bucket loads is what I want which I can only play on a MS console otherwise I have no need to buy their console.

If I was to buy a Xbox One/Scorpio for example, then I want to see platformers, variety of different RPGs ,hack n slash games and god damn single player story driven games that are genuine exclusives.

Halo, Forza, Gears do nothing for me so they can release the most powerful system in the universe and create the ultimate versions of the 3 games above but that won't even make my eyebrows twitch.

New IPs covering different genres that are exclusive or even a partnership with Sega like they did with the OG Xbox and get exclusive support or resurrect the old RARE IPs and I'm there

What exactly should Microsoft do to get you to buy their console as well.

Last generation I bought an Xbox (n addition to my PS3 for two reasons:

1) Because lots of people I knew played COD MP on Xbox
2) Because I was sick of playing the gimped versions of multi-platform games

I don't really play COD anymore but even if I did, neither of those factors apply. If they released a bunch of "must have" exclusive games I'd reconsider but there is nothing out now and nothing that has been announced that even remotely tempts me.

Doffen

How about investing in your marketing Phil. This recent sweepstake is only available for North Americans despite being a general tweet on the Xbox account. Just terrible.

Everything on the official channels are NA only.

To be fair, have you looked at the PAL threads? XBO Software software rarely charts, if ever, as opposed to other platforms like Switch, PC and even last gen like Wii and PS3.

it's all moot at this point.

And who's fault is that? Maybe consumers would consider buying their product if they knew it existed. I've seen more marketing for CoD WW2 this week than for Xbox One since it released.

Maybe then I'd chip in.

I don't think there's anything they can do to win me back. I don't enjoy their exclusives anymore, but to be fair, I don't​ like Sony exclusives either (I'm open to give them a chance tho) They've lost their most important studios too. Their games are way to similar to what PlayStation offers already, with less variety and quantity.

I don't think I'm ever going back. I used to love the 360 and thought that MS had this generation in the bag. From everything I've seen from far distance, they are never coming back from this one, 6 TF of power or not.

sirronoh

Maybe then I'd chip in.

Good post.

For me, I owned an Xbox and Xbox 360 (along with GameCube, PS3, Wii, and PS3), but this time around skipped Xbox One for a variety of reasons.

I was initially turned off by the original vision of the console after E3 2013. I didn't consider it a deal breaker but it made it easier for my limited time to be spent looking elsewhere.

My second issue was and is with the games catalog. The vast majority of my time with the OG Xbox and Xbox 360 was with Halo. After 10 years though, I started to move on from the franchise. Without Halo, there's little that's available on Xbox One that I'm interested in that isn't already available on PS4. For the exclusives, there isn't any game already available or coming up that interests me enough to shell out money for an Xbox One, regardless of how powerful Scorpio ends up being. On top of this, PlayStation and Nintendo tend to offer far more games that match my tastes than Xbox.

My third issue is somewhat related to the second. I have much less time for gaming these days than I used to have from 2000 to 2012. With just the 3DS and PS4, I have way more games than I have time to play. Even if there was an amazing new game coming out for Xbox One, I know that I'll have little time for it. Because of that, I'm less inclined to go out and buy any new systems beyond the ones I already don't have much time to play.

Obviously everyone is different and has their own preferences but this is me. I like reading about gaming news from any company. But I know myself, my gaming tastes, my finances, and my available time, and Xbox just doesn't fit into my life anymore. I don't foresee that changing anytime soon.

Maybe then I'd chip in.

While I've always been a PlayStation guy first, I did love the original Xbox and the 360 (still have them both) so when the Xbox One was announced with weaker hardware, a higher price and all their (at the time) online DRM policies and non gaming focus (TV stuff) it really put me off the system.

For me to jump back to Xbox now, I would want more big AAA single player games and for them to take a few more risks / changes to keep their existing IP's fresh and let their studios make new IP's too. The last Halo and Gears didn't get me excited to go out to buy an Xbox, despite having enjoyed all the other Gears and Halo games previously.

When I heard Sony was going to do another God of War game, I thought the same, "nothing too exciting, just be another sequel" then Sony go and show it off looking like a completely awesome new game, not just another "same old" sequel and I was sold on it right away, that's the kind of thing that keeps me interested. If MS can do more things like that, then I would consider getting an Xbox again in the future.

le.phat

Risk-taking, genre pushing, must-play experiences. That's why I buy Playstion stuff.
Monster hunter. That's why i buy Nintendo stuff.

I can't tell you what i'd expect from MS that makes me buy their stuff, but as long as it's also on PC, i will not bat an eye at that console.

If it's all about the games why would anyone own a Xbox?

Because Xbox has games as well. I'm all for criticizing MS for their current first party lineup and would like them to be a bit riskier, but there's no need to act like there's absolutely nothing to play.

correojon

Maybe then I'd chip in.

I don't own a PS4, but your reasons and those posted from others align with my own. XBox has cornered itself into being kind of a "Halo-Gears-Forza" machine and those IPs have lost most of their lust with so much repetition. MS latest messages and decissions seem to sell the idea they treat games as a business totally neglecting other aspects more important for their customers; when I hear a dev talking about it's new game I don't want to hear about new monetization systems, I want him to tell me how awesome and unique the game will be and how much fun I'll have playing it. This is especially important as it looks like MS's direction for the future is taking them further and further away from gamers every day.

Another argument I haven't seen posted is how US-centric XBox is, the tiers of countries on the launch was an awful thing and they've shown no sensibility towards it or will to make ammends. As an european I don't feel seduced by a product that actively tells me I'm not good enough to be considered their #1 customer.

Vinc

I was just looking at Metacritic's highest scored games, and I noted that the only exclusive on XB1 that has 90+ is Forza Horizon 3, while the PS4 has 6, and the Switch already has 2. Expanding the criteria to 85+ paints an even darker picture. It basically exposes the biggest problem, and I hope they can turn that around.

Elandyll

Banned
Because Xbox has games as well. I'm all for criticizing MS for their current first party lineup and would like them to be a bit riskier, but there's no need to act like there's absolutely nothing to play.
For the sake of the argument (I agree that there are certainly games worth playing on Xbox), what new games not also available on PC have released on Xbox in the entire first half of 2017?

BigPapi

For the sake of the argument (I agree that there are certainly games worth playing on Xbox), what new games not also available on PC have released on Xbox in the entire first half of 2017?

Why does having a game another platform mean it doesn't count being on another. If you're argument is why even have a Xbox the point is that there is different audiences for games some people will never play on PC and some will never buy a console like myself. Putting a game on one platform doesn't hurt another when the two platforms aren't competing.

Yjynx

And all I'm seeing is bunch of 'launch exclusives' this E3. MS had chance to shut my mouth and feed me the crow. I guess I'm still stupid enough to gives them the benefits of doubts....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom