• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil spencer's interview with The Guardian on Project Scorpio

Strootman

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...hief-microsoft-plans-console?CMP=share_btn_tw

“If you said to me, ‘could you or another console manufacturer design a $2,000 console that ran, like, two Titan Xs SLI-d together?’ Then yeah, we could do it. But the console price points aren’t there. If you’re willing to spend a couple of grand building up an i7-based machine with umpteen terabytes of RAM, you can go do that on a PC. But I actually feel with Scorpio we’ve been able to hit a really nice price/performance ratio. When we talk about the price, I think people will see that. It is a premium product, there’s no doubt, but I think relative to the PC that you could go buy at this spec, you’re gonna feel really good.”

More at the link.

Also, apparently they mention ms showed forza horizon 3 on Scorpio at 4K/60fps... But it could be an error... maybe they were referring to the Forza tech demo.

Chobel

But I actually feel with Scorpio we've been able to hit a really nice price/performance ratio. When we talk about the price, I think people will see that. It is a premium product, there's no doubt, but I think relative to the PC that you could go buy at this spec, you're gonna feel really good.

To me, this sounds like Phil is suggesting that Scorpio will be $499 or something like that. But I don't believe for a second that it will cost more than $399.

I can almost guarantee you that they heard Phil say they demoed Forza at 4k 60 and assumed he was talking about FH3 when in reality it was the Forza 6 Apex demo that DF saw.

Marcel

Well, at least Spencer's not attempting to hide that they're shoving a low-mid range PC into an Xbox shell.

I could do without the whole "haha umpteen TBs of RAM, those PC gamers eh boys" thing. Don't pretend to be an idiot about the thing you will inevitably be compared to where value is concerned, Phil.

Strootman

I'd like to urge caution on the forza horizon 4k 60 fps thing...i find that unlikely and the only place they mention it is on a caption for a picture...i think they confused the forza tech test with horizon
Yeah I thought the same... that's why I said apparently.

faridmon

As long as its not above £400 pound, it will be successful me thinks.

But the prices will most likely screw us over, especially over here in UK

"I have a Scorpio at home, so I’ve moved it back and forth from a 1080p TV to a 4K TV – and if you’re running on a 1080p TV and you plug Scorpio in you’re gonna be able to tell. I can tell.”​

Yes. Yes. Yes.

cackhyena

With what's in it, 499 doesn't seem unreasonable. What's a decent price for average consumers to be able to swallow is 399 or 450.

Unless he's playing an expectations game (which is totally conceivable), It's gotta be > $400. You wouldn't say "premium" otherwise. I'm saying $499, and I could see it going higher.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Hoping a lot of older titles see some patches. I want sunset overdrive at 4k with a bigger draw distance :eek:

Unless he's playing an expectations game (which is totally conceivable), It's gotta be > $400. You wouldn't say "premium" otherwise. I'm saying $499, and I could see it going higher.

I agree "Premium product, no doubt" and comparison to a PC indicates 500 to me. He wouldn't emphasize that if it was going to be the same price as the Pro.

I still don't understand this logical leap. Pricing Scorpio at $399 compared to $249 and $299 SKU's for Xbox One S would also make it look premium.

I'm still firmly on #team399 at least for the base SKU with or without a game. I wouldn't be surprised to see a $499 SKU as well, but I don't think that'll be the base model.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I wouldnt be shocked if its $599.

Hoping for $399 now.

I still don't understand this logical leap. Pricing Scorpio at $399 compared to $249 and $299 SKU's for Xbox One S would also make it look premium.

I just don't think the same price as the Pro justifies calling it a "premium" price at this point. They wouldn't call it premium if it was the same price as their competitor's less powerful hardware. They would call it aggressively priced or something.

Marcel

I know =(

Microsoft would have to provide a serious incentive for companies to dedicate staff to making an improvement patch that would probably not even substantively improve their sales.

It's not a realistic thing to expect for any standpoint. It'd be better for MS just to have a Scorpio Boost Mode option available from the very start of launch.

Chris1

Microsoft would have to provide a serious incentive for companies to dedicate staff to making an improvement patch that would probably not even substantively improve their sales.

It's not a realistic thing to expect for any standpoint. It'd be better for MS just to have a Scorpio Boost Mode option available from the very start of launch.

?

The whole console is boost mode, there's no need for an option. Older games will automatically run better within their set limitations (Better AF, more stable/higher framerate if not already a locked 30/60, etc)

There is no "option" on Scorpio, it just works.

Crayon

It's 399. They are trying to manufacture a mic drop moment. Nothing in there is worth more than 399.

Top Bottom