• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil spencer's interview with The Guardian on Project Scorpio

gamz

You have to dramatically exceed expectations to get that. Dropping the consensus price point isn't a hero moment. If Spencer is motivated by a big stage moment, he should announce Red Dead Redemption 2 as a Xbox exclusive ;)

Nah. Just make it run best on ♏ is all we want.

After the success of the PS4 Phil Spencer walked some long and lonely roads.

He has watched with envy as Sony have delivered a series of successful moves - now he is using the PS4 playbook. This includes launching a half-gen console. Revealing a console but not the design or the name and saving that for E3. Finally, Spencer craves that Andrew House moment from E3 2013 where he steps onto the stage and says $399 (also £399 & €399).

L
M
F
A
O

I can't believe we're still arguing this. It's gonna be 399 because it has to be 399. Premium just refers to how high powered the hardware is, not the price.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Microsoft would have to provide a serious incentive for companies to dedicate staff to making an improvement patch that would probably not even substantively improve their sales.

It's not a realistic thing to expect for any standpoint. It'd be better for MS just to have a Scorpio Boost Mode option available from the very start of launch.

Didn't they say that all games would just run better without a patch because of the way it's designed?

Nestunt

Sounds like 499. And I am curious to see if consumers look at that price as "too steep for a console" (like on other occasions) or, this time, since it's being pushed as "POWERFUL" they will look at it as "fair".

FinalAres

I can't believe we're still arguing this. It's gonna be 399 because it has to be 399. Premium just refers to how high powered the hardware is, not the price.

I wish that were the case, but having worked with marketing departments for years, I can tell you that 'premium' nearly always refers to the price.

$399 is what it needs to be, but Microsoft are trying to create a new category of consoles and it will be priced $499. It won't work of course.

Hairsplash

It's 399. They are trying to manufacture a mic drop moment. Nothing in there is worth more than 399.

Really?... what does the PS4pro have that the Scorpio does not? NOTHING... it has a

- UHD drive.
- 4GB extra ram (on a 384 bit bus)
- Vapour chamber cooler (and they can not "cheap out on it"... because it cools everything, and Microsoft can not have a RROD...)
- And 8 more Shader units (36 vs 44 )(ok 40 in the production unit)

(BTW, these numbers are guesses, but the numbers are non-zero)
So the uhd drives has to be an extra 10 dollars,
the ram an extra 10 dollars,
the vapour chamber an extra 20 dollars
and the modifications to the cpu are at least an extra 10 dollars...

so around 50 dollars more than the ps4pro.

If sony is breaking even on the ps4pro (and without a pack-in game), then Microsoft has to charge more... does microsoft plan to pack-in a game with the Scorpio?... if it does, then it is more expensive than a ps4pro.

And if microsoft is planning to lose money on the Scorpio, then they have to have a plan on how to get that money back on games sales...

Didn't they say that all games would just run better without a patch because of the way it's designed?
Every game will get small improvements (better loading times, better AF for example), and games with unlocked framerates and/or dynamic resolution should hit their max targets more frequently (if not always).

But those improvements won't be comparable to a patch that substantially improves resolution or assets. This takes work from developers, so the payoff isn't always worth it for them (especially if the game is old).

Hairsplash

I wish that were the case, but having worked with marketing departments for years, I can tell you that 'premium' nearly always refers to the price.

$399 is what it needs to be, but Microsoft are trying to create a new category of consoles and it will be priced $499. It won't work of course.

So true. Ever heard of an exclusive price?, NO... an exclusive product that has a premium price, YES.

gamz

Really?... what does the PS4pro have that the Scorpio does not? NOTHING... it has a

- UHD drive.
- Vapour chamber cooler (and they can not "cheap out on it"... because it cools everything, and Microsoft can not have a RROD...)

If sony is breaking even on the ps4pro (and without a pack-in game), then Microsoft has to charge more... does microsoft plan to pack-in a game with the Scorpio?... if it does, then it is more expensive than a ps4pro.

And if microsoft is planning to lose money on the Scorpio, then they have to have a plan on how to get that money back on games sales...

Why are you talking about the Pro in this thread? Weird.

Fredrik

It's not going to be $399, don't set yourself up for disappointment, the way they keep on talking about it being a premium console and talks about how much a gaming PC costs is all a plan to make Scorpio seem worth the $499 it'll cost.

I'm trying to think of a UK price and work back from there. £399 and the same in Euro seems about right, but that would then likely mean a higher Dollar number. Maybe $449. I feel the number definitely needs to start with a 3 though in Tier 2 territories :p

But I think there will be a couple of bundles like the 1S. So they can afford to lose a bit on one and make it back on the other so it all evens out.

ZOONAMI

- UHD drive.

scorpio CPU bottleneck basically means difference between PS4 Pro and Scorpio will be pretty negligible.

Still gonna see a lot of checkerboard and 4k30. MS hardly has any first party titles so forza doesn't mean much.

You can already see it won't be a huge difference. You're essentially looking at a 570 vs a 580+, and with the CPU holding the Scorpio GPU back its not gonna be all that crazy.

DF comparisons will look like yeah Xbox slightly less frame rate drops, some nicer textures and AA here and there, maybe sometimes a res bump.

Will be pretty similar to Xbox vs PS4 now with PS4 having a definite edge, but Xbox experience isn't much worse.

People will choose the cheaper console as they did with the PS4 and the Xbox's disastrous $500 launch price.

To me, this sounds like Phil is suggesting that Scorpio will be $499 or something like that. But I don't believe for a second that it will cost more than $399.

The emphasis on Premium Product means 499 to me. 449 would pleasantly surprise me. 399 would be gangbusters.

Thorrgal

I think he's lying (even though he hasn't said anything) too. Bastard!

Marketingwise could be the smart thing to do..but dunno man, I don't think I'd like that. Reminds me too much of Trump.

I choose to beleve him and start saving 499$

After the success of the PS4 Phil Spencer walked some long and lonely roads.

He has watched with envy as Sony have delivered a series of successful moves - now he is using the PS4 playbook. This includes launching a half-gen console. Revealing a console but not the design or the name and saving that for E3. Finally, Spencer craves that Andrew House moment from E3 2013 where he steps onto the stage and says $399 (also £399 & €399).

Sounds like you're a couple of sentences from dipping into romantic fanfic where you and Phil Spencer are lying on a grassy hillside together.

Since everyone says either 399 or 499 I bet the price will be 449.

They'll either mic drop it at $399 or go as high as $449. There is no way they make the $499 mistake again.

200de1d4ef6baaccc1cb515779c2faf6_-meme-why-not-both-meme-why-not-both_419-261.jpeg

Real talk: Phil probably says the word "Premium" just for kicks now. I imagine him deliberately placing it in random interviews just so he can see the reaction on sites like Gaf. He already clarified on Podcast Unlocked that his choice of the word "Premium" isn't based solely on price.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's 399. They are trying to manufacture a mic drop moment. Nothing in there is worth more than 399.

Yup. They didn't decide on Jaguar/Polaris for no reason. They know 399$ is the price they have to hit after Sony launched their mid-gen refresh last year.

Coming in a year later, still peddling Jag/Polaris and then asking a 100$ premium over the competition? Yeah, that'll go over well.

gamz

So you don't think he's lying then? Good, me neither... you mus be on the 499$ camp then like me.

Why did you say he was lying then?
Because I was joking how absurd you post was. How can someone be lying when he hasn't said anything?

I'm firmly in the 499 camp!

cakely

$399.

Of course he's hyping it as a premium product, it's a sales tactic.

Microsoft kept its costs down by sticking with Jaguar. There might be a $499 Xbox One Scorpio SKU with a giant hard drive, but there will be a $399 SKU available for the holidays.

Expecting $399 after seeing the deep dive from DF. They could have sold it as something fancy with the tech reveal but it ended up being that it's an upclocked jag/polaris combo.

When Scorpio launches, PS4 and X1S will probably be around $200 with a pack-in game or two, and the PS4 Pro will likely be $300. It's nothing to drop your mic about if the Scorpio comes in at $400. It's still a premium product that's significantly more expensive than alternatives.

But at E3 they'll surely act like $400 is a mic drop moment, and that's fine.

Ploid 3.0

Way to start off with a high bar. Two Titan X's sli huh? So there's a chance for it to perform as good as one Titan X? I bet that's what he want people to think. Or as Ivanka Trump would say, "don't go out of your way to correct people when their expectations are in your favor."

People must think MS is building this out of the kindness of their hearts and will go so far as to break even or even take a loss to give it to you. Does that sound like MS to you? This is to make them money. If you're an existing Xbox One owner, they don't care if you upgrade unless they make money off the upgrade. If you're not an Xbox One owner well there's a Xbox One S out there if you want to save money.

Daffy Duck

I'm trying to think of a UK price and work back from there. £399 and the same in Euro seems about right, but that would then likely mean a higher Dollar number. Maybe $449. I feel the number definitely needs to start with a 3 though in Tier 2 territories :p

But I think there will be a couple of bundles like the 1S. So they can afford to lose a bit on one and make it back on the other so it all evens out.

£500.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University

- UHD drive.

You have to remember that the release of the Scorpio is pretty much a full year later and products and internals will be cheaper. I am sure they have looked at that. If they want to go $399, I'm sure they could.

I don't think it willl be, but it could happen.

I think it's going to be $499 too. Phil makes it sound like they are right up to the highest acceptable price in the console market, and $499 is what they started the generation at so obviously they think that's "acceptable" (yes, the XBONE failed to take off at that price, but that's where the word "premium" comes in). He also said it will compare favorably to what a PC can offer at that price. What can you even get out of a $399 PC?

This is my gut feeling as well, although I disagree that the HW isn't worth $499. I just feel like Spencer is being coy and prepping for the $399 megaton.

In any case my wallet is prepared for $499.

Also, Forza Horizon 3 in 4K/60FPS??????????!!!?

YES PLEASE!

Richard Leadbetter wrote in his Project Scorpio reveal that: "PS4 Pro launched at £349/$399. Scorpio has a larger processor (the most expensive single part of any console), 4GB more memory, a faster hard drive, a UHD Blu-ray drive and a state-of-the-art cooling solution. All of these add cumulatively to the bill of materials and if I had to guess - and I'll stress that this isn't based on anything I might have heard on my visit - Project Scorpio is going to cost in the region of $499."

Why do so many people seem convinced that Digital Foundry is wrong?

I assume Digital Foundry knows a fair amount about console hardware, so if it ends up being $399 that would mean that they either: (1.) Were wrong, or (2.) Were paid by Microsoft to make people believe the price would be $100 higher to make the $399 price seem like a better deal.

The second option is a bit too "tin-foil hat" for me, and so as someone with no knowledge of hardware costs, it seems safest to go with the best guess of a guy who makes a living writing about console hardware.

It's obviously possible that Digital Foundry is wrong, and it ends up being $399, but the evidence for that doesn't seem to be much stronger than the evidence pointing toward $499.

Top Bottom