• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil spencer's interview with The Guardian on Project Scorpio

panda-zebra

Banned
To me, this sounds like Phil is suggesting that Scorpio will be $499 or something like that. But I don't believe for a second that it will cost more than $399.

Completely my thoughts before and while reading this.

So given that, building up for a high price and then revealing 399 will be super effective.

It's 399. They are trying to manufacture a mic drop moment. Nothing in there is worth more than 399.

That's it.

Space_nut

?

The whole console is boost mode, there's no need for an option. Older games will automatically run better within their set limitations (Better AF, more stable/higher framerate if not already a locked 30/60, etc)

There is no "option" on Scorpio, it just works.

Beast Mode

Look at his Xbox On interview where he says he wants the Scorpio to be the place where core gamers play multiplats.

That only has a chance of working at $399.

I just don't think the same price as the Pro justifies calling it a "premium" price at this point. They wouldn't call it premium if it was the same price as their competitor's less powerful hardware. They would call it aggressively priced or something.

I don't think Phil would be referring to pricing in regards to their competition. At least not in this context.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
He’s still not talking about price (or the final name of the machine), but current conjecture is $499/£499, and that would certainly fit with his idea of Project Scorpio as a ‘premium’ machine that’s not priced massively outside of the console space.

DOA

I wouldnt be shocked if its $599.

Hoping for $399 now.

Yeah, I thought it would be 499 before I saw this, and comparisons to the most high-end PC made me start to think 599. The only things holding me back are #1: that is a toxic console price point (*cough* PS3 launch), and #2: the specs don't justify it. Scorpio is going to be a very nice upgrade in the console space, but it's playing in the same generation as PS4 Pro. As a crude comparison, I think it's going to be the difference between an Nvidia 1060 (PS4 Pro) and an Nvidia 1070 (Scorpio). That's a significant, noticeable difference but still within the same performance window.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Microsoft would have to provide a serious incentive for companies to dedicate staff to making an improvement patch that would probably not even substantively improve their sales.

It's not a realistic thing to expect for any standpoint. It'd be better for MS just to have a Scorpio Boost Mode option available from the very start of launch.

Hence, I know =(

Still, let me be hopeful. It took one guy from turn10 two days to upgrade fm6 with "scorpio in a box". Let me be optimistic some devs care enough about their fans to do something similar.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
No one knows the price right now outside of Microsoft. I think we can say that the range will be 399-499. Anywhere in there is fine IMO. Cheaper is always better, but that is our range.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Sounds like 499 or even more because of the emphasis on "premium product" and the comparison with a 2000$ PC.

Yeah, I thought it would be 499 before I saw this, and comparisons to the most high-end PC made me start to think 599. The only things holding me back are #1: that is a toxic console price point (*cough* PS3 launch), and #2: the specs don't justify it. Scorpio is going to be a very nice upgrade in the console space, but it's playing in the same generation as PS4 Pro. As a crude comparison, I think it's going to be the difference between an Nvidia 1060 (PS4 Pro) and an Nvidia 1070 (Scorpio). That's a significant, noticeable difference but still within the same performance window.

Yea...if its being compared to a high end PC, $599 in that sense isnt bad. Its actually great IMO.

But in the console world...$599 might be a death bell, lol.

Didn't Sony say the word "premium" before the event in September? That means nothing.

If they did, $399 it is.

Also, MS is actually trying to promote this thing. Sony didnt for the Pro. No E3 event for the Pro.

I also dont think MS would be that crazy to do another $599 moment at E3 seeing what happened with the PS3.

I'm in the $499 camp as well. I own the Xbox One Elite console and that was $499 when it launched. That wasn't even a slim model and didn't have Kinect bundled in. It has a SSHD but still.

I'll gladly be wrong and have it be less than $499, but I don't see it.

Microsoft would have to provide a serious incentive for companies to dedicate staff to making an improvement patch that would probably not even substantively improve their sales.

It's not a realistic thing to expect for any standpoint. It'd be better for MS just to have a Scorpio Boost Mode option available from the very start of launch.
The have, and that goes all the way back to 360 games.

GriffinCorp

Pretty good interview, Phil is a likable guy. He's made some great changes for Xbox. I think $399 is going to be the price, $499 is going to be too much.

Kibbles

Unless he's playing an expectations game (which is totally conceivable), It's gotta be > $400. You wouldn't say "premium" otherwise. I'm saying $499, and I could see it going higher.
$400 is premium, especially compared to what will likely be a $199 Xbone S

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's 399. They are trying to manufacture a mic drop moment. Nothing in there is worth more than 399.

lol this. People are so gullible.

I mean if this thing had a zen cpu, i'd understand people expecting $499 but the silicon is pretty much the same as the Pro with higher clock speeds. IIRC, the GPU has 40 CUs compared to the 36 the Pro has. Are they running a liquid cooled system inside or something?

it's got 4 GB extra RAM and a 4k bluray drive that was like $15 of extra cost when Sony chose not to add it last year. If this thing had released last year alongside the Pro i would understand the $100 price gap b/w the two.

Thorrgal

To me, this sounds like Phil is suggesting that Scorpio will be $499 or something like that. But I don't believe for a second that it will cost more than $399.

It sure sonds like it will be more than 399$. He is actually telling us that. He knows that by saying over and over that the scorpio will be a premium product at a premium price, and now even comparing it to a 2000$ PC, he is implyin

Could he be lying, though? I wouldn't think so but in this day and age I guess everything is possible

gamz

It sure sonds like it will be more than 399$. He is actually telling us that. He knows that by saying over and over that the scorpio will be a premium product at a premium price, and now even comparing it to a 2000$ PC, he is implyin

Could he be lying, though? I wouldn't think so but in this day and age I guess everything is possible

I think he's lying (even though he hasn't said anything) too. Bastard!

Gurish

No way it's gonna be 500$ that's for sure, 350$ would be extremely surprising, most likely and obvious price is 400$.

Venom.

After the success of the PS4 Phil Spencer walked some long and lonely roads.

He has watched with envy as Sony have delivered a series of successful moves - now he is using the PS4 playbook. This includes launching a half-gen console. Revealing a console but not the design or the name and saving that for E3. Finally, Spencer craves that Andrew House moment from E3 2013 where he steps onto the stage and says $399 (also £399 & €399).

He has watched with envy as Sony have delivered a series of successful moves - now he is using the PS4 playbook. This includes launching a half-gen console. Revealing a console but not the design or the name and saving that for E3. Finally, Spencer craves that Andrew House moment from E3 2013 where he steps onto the stage and says $399 (also £399 & €399).

You have to dramatically exceed expectations to get that. Dropping the consensus price point isn't a hero moment. If Spencer is motivated by a big stage moment, he should announce Red Dead Redemption 2 as a Xbox exclusive ;)

How do you possibly come up with the notion that Scorpio only exists because of the Pro?

It was in development before Pro was ever announced

Top Bottom