• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) sells [16] million copies

Tovarisc

Why do people keep saying stuff like this? I know it's an inside meme but sales do not mean GOTY.

Because on GAF who argue seriously that early access game can't be considered for GOTY spot and PUBG wont be "real game" before console releases.

Edit: Hi, top of the page. Drop to Pochinki for 1on1

Kyougar

Why is there such a high discrepancy between Players and Owners in China and Korea?

Internet cafés?

The blue graph is overall owners, the red graph is players in the last 2 weeks. So china and sk have proportionally more owners playing the game in the last 2 weeks.

i.e. 50% of chinese owners played the game in the last 2 weeks and only 25% of US owners, so the red graph is bigger.

Vipu

Banned
Unreal... I remember thinking that it must be close to peaking when it hit 6m copies sold like 2 months ago. Instead it's nearly tripled.

According to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games wikipedia page listing best-selling PC games, it has now surpassed WoW as 3rd best-selling behind Minecraft and Terraria.

Damn.

I knew minecraft was big, but now im just thinking how many months until PUBG goes past it.

I can only imagine how frantically they are trying to get the Xbox version out the door.

Why would they be "frantically" trying to push the Xbox version? With how much they made they can take all the time they want.
"Oh but Fortnite!"
I don't really think they care or should care. They could cancel the console versions and just support the PC one and be extremely profitable if they wanted to.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The game is stupid popular but the constant growth week in and week out, month after month is damned amazing. Is there a particular area of the world that new players are coming in en masse or it just everywhere at this point?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I still don’t know anyone who plays this game. I guess the China numbers explain that rapidly rising population. Feel like I’m in a gaming bubble. Crazy numbers.

We should have a new thread for every copy sold.

Ahh yes, the daily PUBG stats thread.

tenor.gif

It's a phenomenon that never happened in gaming and probably never will again, deal with it.

fuzaco

got it too. kinda regret it. super boring. mainly walking and collecting stuff over and over again. snooze fest.

That's just the way you chose to play it. You can always drop to a popular area, and get into the action immediately, and you can play the whole game by hunting down others instead of just hiding and looting. You make it boring for yourself.

That's just the way you chose to play it. You can always drop to a popular area, and get into the action immediately, and you can play the whole game by hunting down others instead of just hiding and looting. You make it boring for yourself.
i was trying to find more populated areas. so far i did not succeed. but yeah please tell me. ill try that.

Think I've mentioned this before ... PUBG has become a system seller for PCs. Anecdotal evidence, but some folks at work and in my friends circle who were hardcore console-only types bought gaming PCs recently just for PUBG.

tenor.gif

It's a phenomenon that never happened in gaming and probably never will again, deal with it.

...Minecraft was similar and it's quite a bit larger than PUBG. It will probably stay that way due to how much more accessible it is than PUBG ever will be.

Why do you think it will never happen again?

Kouriozan

Ah! When it was only at 10M in August and I said it was going to be big this holidays, people doubted me.
I saw it coming miles away.

...Minecraft was similar and it's quite a bit larger than PUBG. It will probably stay that way due to how much more accessible it is than PUBG ever will be.

Why do you think it will never happen again?

Minecraft didn't sell THIS much THIS quickly when notch first started selling it on PC. Hell, League of goddamn Legends didn't get 15 million players or 2 million concurrent users just 6 months after it went into beta. A phenomenon like PUBG, when you consider sales, concurrent users and how QUICKLY it got there, is something I can't really remember happening before.

oti

Banned
So how long until Tencent releases its "Kill of Glory" or "Kill Top 100" on Mobile to turn more Chinese kids and teens into addicts?

what

Minecraft didn't sell THIS much THIS quickly when notch first started selling it on PC. Hell, League of goddamn Legends didn't get 15 million players or 2 million concurrent users just 6 months after it went into beta. A phenomenon like PUBG, when you consider sales, concurrent users and how QUICKLY it got there, is something I can't really remember happening before.
Yep, for a random PC game to pull these numbers this quickly is pretty unprecedented.

But is it GOTY worthy??

No. Its a fun game, but it isn't well polished. I think its a solid game, but nothing amazing. Popularity and word of mouth goes a long way. Steam reviews pretty much reflect this sentiment as well. None the less congrats to the developers, and glad people are enjoying it.

I would give it a solid 7.5/10. Played more fun games, and played better-polished games.

big fake

Never get this appeal at all. Played it at friends and man so boring and ugly looking. How can thing's like this just blow up. Depresses me seeing this trample over other games.

Top Bottom