• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG) sells [16] million copies

Tapejara

Unreal... I remember thinking that it must be close to peaking when it hit 6m copies sold like 2 months ago. Instead it's nearly tripled.

According to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games wikipedia page listing best-selling PC games, it has now surpassed WoW as 3rd best-selling behind Minecraft and Terraria.

PUBG could actually be in the second spot. If you click through to the sourced tweet for Terraria's sales figures it's clear the developer is referencing sales across all platforms (PC, PS4/PS3/Vita, XB1/360, Wii U/3DS, mobile). Steam Spy puts Terraria at 9.4 million sales on PC, which means PUBG has actually outsold it! On the other hand, some of these numbers are outdated (GTAV is on the list with 2 million copies sold even though Steam Spy has it closer to 8.4 million, but I understand that despite being known for accuracy Steam Spy is still just an estimate).

In any case, well deserved success for PUBG. Can't wait to play the desert map!

congratulations to 2017's Official Game of the Year™ - awarded for being the best game released in that year - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

big fake

tell us of the games that deserve 15 mio sales instead.
I don't really think most games deserve that stature, but I rather it see it allocated to other small games that are great but no one gives the light of day to. Biggest example of the year is Gravity Rush 2.

Never get this appeal at all. Played it at friends and man so boring and ugly looking. How can thing's like this just blow up. Depresses me seeing this trample over other games.

Oh please

This thing is a juggernaut though, I thought it would have peaked by now. I'll get it when it comes to Xbox

jond76

Banned
Why would they be "frantically" trying to push the Xbox version? With how much they made they can take all the time they want.
"Oh but Fortnite!"
I don't really think they care or should care. They could cancel the console versions and just support the PC one and be extremely profitable if they wanted to.

I didn't say anything about Fortnite.

Everything peaks. I just imagine they want the Xbox version out while this game is still a hot topic. I'm not suggesting PUBG is going anywhere, but it makes since to pile the Xbox version on while the hype is strong.

Venfayth

dropped at the military place. did not meet one single person until i died. 7th place.
pretty boring....

Absolutely not typical for the Military island :p

But yeah, school is pretty much always really popular and the go-to place for early game action unless the flight path doesn't have it in range, which is almost never.

dropped at the military place. did not meet one single person until i died. 7th place.
pretty boring....
Yeah losing can be pretty boring sometimes
Try going for 1st next time lol
Things will get more exciting :p

Seriously tho, if you're looking for fights you can't go wrong at school

Faithless Mr.

Neo Member
Bet those hoping Fortnite would stir people from PUBG are salty af. This is the biggest phenomenon in gaming since GTA V. It's absolutely ridiculous how much impact it's already had.

The most surprising thing, for me, is that Japan is eating it up too. It even surpassed Brazil, a country with a strong PC playerbase. And everyone around here is playing it, so the thought that Japan has more players than us is mind blowing.

Yeah it's actually pretty darn big in Japan. Who would have thought?
It was even shown as part of a intro for a recent anime.
tumblr_oteapsjqEp1qz64n4o7_1280.gif

The most surprising thing, for me, is that Japan is eating it up too. It even surpassed Brazil, a country with a strong PC playerbase. And everyone around here is playing it, so the thought that Japan has more players than us is mind blowing.

Yeah it's actually pretty darn big in Japan. Who would have thought?

Didn't the concept of Battle Royale start with the Japanese movie? Sounds right up their alley.

It was even shown as part of a intro for a recent anime.
tumblr_oteapsjqEp1qz64n4o7_1280.gif

Where is this from?

pretty boring....

At a certain point, it becomes clear when people enter these threads with a particular agenda :p

Remember when last week fortnite buried PUBG into irrelevance?

I can't even tell when a post is serious or just some silly joke meme post anymore.

I think Fortnite just hit a peak current players of ~500k on the weekend. Which is really good. But still didn't prevent PUBG from once again breaking its own concurrent player record.

juicyb

How has the sales growth been from 10 million to now 15 million? And, based on those estimates, when are we looking at hitting 20 million? (not including console release/sales).

oti

Banned
Remember when last week fortnite buried PUBG into irrelevance?

It would be nice to have one PUBG thread without the telenovela drama about GOTY awards, how PUBG proves that PC is king or this stupid battle between Fortnite and PUBG.

voOsh

PUBG, while it has many flaws, is a genre defining game. There were other similar mods and games before it -- some quite successful like H1Z1. But the PUBG phenomenon is that battle royale is now firmly on the map as a genre. Just like we have RPGs, open world games, fighters, platformers, etc. we now also have BR games. This is why I hope that those who perhaps don't enjoy the PUBG gameplay, can at least appreciate why so many consider it their GOTY. It has significance to gaming beyond its gameplay that will affect the industry for years to come.

Kyougar

How has the sales growth been from 10 million to now 15 million? And, based on those estimates, when are we looking at hitting 20 million? (not including console release/sales).

it currently gets 1 million every 8 to 10 days
The CCU climbs at 100 to 200k every weekend.

I don’t understand the passive aggression on both sides of the argument.

Me neither. So many people who have never played this game feel the need to discredit it at every opportunity. And whoever has played it and decided they didn't like it feels the need to bash it at every opportunity as well.

Rhoc

Good for them but you can feel that their focus is on the xbox version at the moment. Significant updates get rarer and rarer but who wouldn't want to pick up free money. Game is really good obviously and is going to influence the gaming industry for some years.

oti

Banned
Good for them but you can feel that their focus is on the xbox version at the moment. Significant updates get rarer and rarer but who wouldn't want to pick up free money. Game is really good obviously and is going to influence the gaming industry for some years.

That's not the case since the Xbox version is being developed by a separate team. The core team could be working on pushing the 1.0 for all we know.

Tovarisc

They dropped forced patch schedule because they acknowledged that it was doing a lot harm to the game. Most of patches they released caused often more issues than fixed. Now that they can polish their patches before releasing them it has lowered issues caused by patches.

Developers were very open and straight about this.

I like the game, but I just dont get the popularity lol.

It's such a difficult game that you learn through constant trial and error and luck and its real slow. Those moments of excitement can be rare. There is much to learn yet players are retaining their attention.

It's just bizarre. Im happy for the success of such games and want more round based games to come out

With them swimming in money, I hope they decide to port it to every system available. I need a game like this on the Switch.

And I will definitely buy the Xbox version.

By the way, am I the only one that wants more from the name? Was hoping it got changed come release into something like "Battle Royale (by PlayerUnknown)" or even just "PlayerUnknown's Battle Royale" just to make a stake on the genre.

Wonder if it will simply be shortened to "Battlegrounds". Much too late for that with the popularity of the game now anyway, but it always came off as temporary.

TaterTots

Banned
The game seems to be TOO successful for the team tbh.

Wheres The extra map, vaulting, server stability etc

My thoughts. Not exactly a huge team and they have a lot on their plate. The more people that play, the more people that want things changed quickly.

Top Bottom