• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation China press conference on July 29 2015 - PS4 future, Games & Morpheus

Put it this way.

If any of the regional pressers had notable amounts of content that'll be big to the western/global market, the western branch of SCE would've been pimping those events more instead of acting like they don't exist.

Heck,even for one of their big pressers (TGS), Sony advices western audiences that the show is primarily not catered to them.

GutZ31

1.357 billion (2013)
China, Population

1% x 1,357,000,000 = 13,570,000

13.57 Million

Someone have better stats of China's population seeing as google seems to be rather behind the times?

My math = potato.

ZhugeEX

Banned
1.357 billion (2013)
China, Population

1% x 1,357,000,000 = 13,570,000

13.57 Million

Someone have better stats of China's population seeing as google seems to be rather behind the times?

My math = potato.

You been speaking to the artisan?

Javin98

Banned
I've said plenty of times not to expect anything new at this conference or of relevance to Western gamers. It's all about Chinese market on mainland.
Dude, chill out. I was just kidding. I'm not gonna be upset if we don't see Uncharted 4 at all.

nightever

Considering that FFX PS4 is announced firstly at PS China Conference 2014, a new game announcement is possible.
FFXII Remaster

ZhugeEX

Banned
Good news for Consoles in China

For those of you that don't know, China banned foreign games consoles back in 2000. This decision was because the government thought that gaming was bad for mental health or some crap like that despite allowing PC gaming and more recently mobile gaming to flourish in the country.

In 2014 they lifted the ban and created a trial period where they would allow games consoles to be made within the Shangai free trade zone to be distributed across China, subject to standard local inspections on multimedia goods.

Basically this was an experiment to see how it would work with games consoles being sold in China and to see what regulations would need to be changed. An official statement at the time said that this was part of China's exploration of "reform and opening". There had been a number of other economic reforms taking place at the time and this was one of them.

Yesterday, the government issued a statement saying the trial was a success and that it was now over and it is officially ok for console makers to manufacturer and sell their goods anywhere in China. All new regulations have now been put into place and things are finally moving forward. It's unsure how much this will affect new game approvals as those still take time due to the censorship laws in China but this means that all console makers now have the opportunity to enter the country, manufacturer their goods there and sell them anywhere in China.

Sony said, “This is great news for us, Sony Computer Entertainment remains committed to the console business in China.".

Microsoft and Nintendo did not comment.

It's fucking nothing.gif

Jigorath

Banned

For those of you that don't know, China banned foreign games consoles back in 2000. This decision was because the government thought that gaming was bad for mental health or some crap like that despite allowing PC gaming and more recently mobile gaming to flourish in the country.

In 2014 they lifted the ban and created a trial period where they would allow games consoles to be made within the Shangai free trade zone to be distributed across China, subject to standard local inspections on multimedia goods.

Basically this was an experiment to see how it would work with games consoles being sold in China and to see what regulations would need to be changed. An official statement at the time said that this was part of China's exploration of "reform and opening". There had been a number of other economic reforms taking place at the time and this was one of them.

Yesterday, the government issued a statement saying the trial was a success and that it was now over and it is officially ok for console makers to manufacturer and sell their goods anywhere in China. All new regulations have now been put into place and things are finally moving forward. It's unsure how much this will affect new game approvals as those still take time due to the censorship laws in China but this means that all console makers now have the opportunity to enter the country, manufacturer their goods there and sell them anywhere in China.

Sony said, “This is great news for us, Sony Computer Entertainment remains committed to the console business in China.".

Is Sony the only one pushing into China right now? I know Xbone is there but Microsoft doesn't give it much attention.

Blanquito

That's awesome news. Thanks for the update. Is there a (translated) press release anywhere?

zg9ac8.jpg

More stores selling consoles in China = That 1% Ya'll!

DieH@rd

Banned
So, consoles can now legally be sold country-wide? Nice.
edit - I fail at reading, they can now be produced anywhere inside china

Uncharted 4 most likely has skeletons... so I don't think it will easily get Chinese release.

Why would skeletons matter?

Is Sony the only one pushing into China right now? I know Xbone is there but Microsoft doesn't give it much attention.

No, Xbox been marketing themselves well in playing catch up and «we too« stratergies. They currently have more Chinese indie games and Halo MCC is going to be announced at CJ.

That's awesome news. Thanks for the update. Is there a (translated) press release anywhere?

I don't think it's translated anywhere?

But here is Chinese version. It;s the offical press release from the govt. - http://www.mcprc.gov.cn/whzx/bnsjdt/whscs/201507/t20150721_456895.html

I thought about translating it a few days ago, but didn't find the content to be worth the effort.

ZhugeEX

Banned
So, consoles can now legally be sold country-wide? Nice.

What about games? They still have to go through certification?

Well they always could sell anywhere in China, just they had to manufacturer and base themselves in the Shanghai free trade zone.

Now they can manufacturer and sell anywhere.

Games still have to be approved because of censorship laws, but there are new regulations in place which should see approval process be less than 20 days majority of the time. Therefore means that Sony can work on simultaneous versions of games to be released if they want.

I thought about translating it a few days ago, but didn't find the content to be worth the effort.

Read my spoiler tag in the original post haha. It's nothing but it's something. Is there anything in there that I missed out or got wrong?

Btw, I'll be working when the conference is live. Will you be watching on Youku and willing to post updates as I won't get back from work till long after the conference is over?

Jigorath

Banned
Why would skeletons matter?

No, Xbox been marketing themselves well in playing catch up and «we too« stratergies. They currently have more Chinese indie games and Halo MCC is going to be announced at CJ.

Well that's good.

ClearData

I actually look forward to a lack of anything Western. I want to see what the Chinese community of developers can bring to the console and what the Chinese gamers like to play.

I already love Japanese games, but I'd love to see what countries like China and Korea might make outside the MMO or mobile apace on consoles.

Shahed

I actually look forward to a lack of anything Western. I want to see what the Chinese community of developers can bring to the console and what the Chinese gamers like to play.

I already love Japanese games, but I'd love to see what countries like China and Korea might make outside the MMO or mobile apace on consoles.

Same. Only thing is it would likely be several years before we see any benefits from this. Still you have to start somewhere and I look forward to seeing what they come up with

DieH@rd

Banned
I would like to see Chinese devs creating action or adventure games set in hong kong. Some hard hitting police thrillers. :)

ZhugeEX

Banned
A big AAA adventure/RPG game based on Journey to the West would be a dream.

I'd like to see a game which is about the three kingdoms dynasty... and it's like a 3D tactical action game where you play as different Warriors from the Dynasty flighting on a giant battlefield... yeh a game like that would be cool.

I would like to see Chinese devs creating action or adventure games set in hong kong. Some hard hitting police thrillers. :)

Oh god, if only. A man can dream. Maybe something like Sleeping Dogs, but less cartoonish in its action/pulpy and more cinematic.

Javin98

Banned

It's fucking nothing.gif
This is great news. Thanks for the update, Zhuge. I still think it's funny how the XB1 launched in China first, but now, Microsoft isn't doing shit to market it. It really makes you wonder how poorly it really is doing. I wouldn't be surprised if it was doing even worse than in Japan.

A big AAA adventure/RPG game based on Journey to the West would be a dream.
Agreed. I would buy it day one if it was released world wide. I used to watch the series as a kid, though I didn't understand much.

Biker19

Banned
Someone should bring King of Combat, I can't remember the chinese name, to Ps4 since SNK isnt doing anything.

It was called "Xuan Dou Zhi Wang." I do agree with you on that this game should be brought onto the PS4.

And Beat-'Em-Ups, RPG's, & Fighters. :)

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

China media laws are weird and random lol...
Last year they had this big period drama starring Fan Bingbing (aka Blink from Xmen:DoFP) and they had to take down the drama to do some re-editing because they had too much cleavage. The only thing they could do (since it's like 90 episodes and full of period women with cleavage showing dresses) was to zoom and focus on the face so that cleavages get cut off from the frame lol

Justice Pao : The Game

And when it gets an English release, Justice Bao (Now with some name that puns well with buns) will ask Zhanzhao (probably some English name as well) to go eat some hamburgers.

ZhugeEX

Banned
You guys remember the countdown to the conference that's going on.

Well first we had Paladin 6 for 6 days left

1Max3Bo.jpg

Then Street Fighter 5 for 5 days left

aesiEqI.jpg

The final Fantasy 14 for 4 days left

ldHU0Ak.jpg

But I have no idea what this 3 days left is for, it's not One Piece. Rumours are going around it might be a sports game made by international publisher? But no one seems to know? It could just be a domestic game coming to PS4 + Sony China said it is a niche game. Guess we have to wait to find out unless anyone here knows what this is?

4hE5knG.jpg

ZhugeEX

Banned
It's rumoured the new Transformers game is another title to be launched within China for 2015 and will be announced at the conference.

mieumieu

China media laws are weird and random lol...
Last year they had this big period drama starring Fan Bingbing (aka Blink from Xmen:DoFP) and they had to take down the drama to do some re-editing because they had too much cleavage. The only thing they could do (since it's like 90 episodes and full of period women with cleavage showing dresses) was to zoom and focus on the face so that cleavages get cut off from the frame lol

And when it gets an English release, Justice Bao (Now with some name that puns well with buns) will ask Zhanzhao (probably some English name as well) to go eat some hamburgers.

The govt claimed that a lot of people wrote complaints about the cleavage. It may seem like an excuse but I don't necessarily disagree with this explanation. China is a big country and a lot of places are really that backwards...

As for skeletons and ghosts and other superstitions banning them fits the official atheistic stance. Zombies are usually not banned though.

I wonder what the Chinese consider to be "a lot of people." Like, if a million people took the time to write a letter, would they shrug that off as inconsequential? Probably depends on what they're complaining about, I guess. lol

The govt claimed that a lot of people wrote complaints about the cleavage. It may seem like an excuse but I don't necessarily disagree with this explanation. China is a big country and a lot of places are really that backwards...

As for skeletons and ghosts and other superstitions banning them fits the official atheistic stance. Zombies are usually not banned though.

so they could not show skeletons, but rotting corpse are fine? yeah that make sense, lol

4Tran

As for skeletons and ghosts and other superstitions banning them fits the official atheistic stance. Zombies are usually not banned though.[/QUOTE]
Bans and stipulations from the Ministry of Culture in regards to entertainment products are semi-arbitrary, and they can change their minds at the slightest provocation. For example, they're currently on a cultural sensitivity phase so all wording that touches on ethnicity in even the slightest way are banned. So every instance of a common historical phrase for traitor "han jin" has to be replaced by something else.

Skeletons and ghosts aren't banned, but the publishers of games with them have removed them as a just in case measure.

I wonder what the Chinese consider to be "a lot of people." Like, if a million people took the time to write a letter, would they shrug that off as inconsequential? Probably depends on what they're complaining about, I guess. lol
It can be as little as a single letter of complaint. The PS4 launch delay is widely rumored to stem from a single outspoken netizen.

Top Bottom