• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Press Conference in Japan on Sep 13

Bl@de

As I said a couple pages ago, they're probably waiting for the Resident Evil event on Saturday that's going to be live-streamed.

Schedule in Japan Time:

September 17th:
12:25 to 13:10 – Resident Evil Special Stage Part 1: Resident Evil 7: biohazard Stage – Featuring Masachika Kawata (producer) and Tsuyoshi Kanada (producer). The latest information on the numbered Resident Evil game.
13:10 to 13:15 – Talk
13:20 to 13:50 – Resident Evil Special Stage Part 2: Resident Evil 20th Anniversary and Movie Contents Stage – Featuring Hiroyuki Kobayashi (producer) and Masachika Kawata (producer). A producer talk stage full of Resident Evil-related information. The laetst information on the live-action Resident Evil: The Final Chapter and the CG Resident Evil: Vendetta, too!
13:50 to 14:00 – Resident Evil Booth Talk

(this would translate to 4:25 AM - 6 AM PST, or 7:25 AM - 9 AM EST.)

5:25 AM to 7:00 AM CEST. Perfect to watch all the footage for breakfast :p

I think many publisher absence because Nintendo got them lock down for NX reveal.

Or they're just holding stuff back for their own streams. We know Square has an action game to announce. Koei didn't even show a Nioh trailer, yet on the 17th they've said that they'll show a "confidential Nioh video". None of Gusts games showed up even though they're going to have streams dedicated to them. Nothing really shown about RE7 even though we know they have stuff planned for TGS. I think publishers just want to have some announcements/trailers to debut on their own streams instead of having everything shown at Sony's conference which leads to fewer people paying attention to specific company streams.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Or they're just holding stuff back for their own streams. We know Square has an action game to announce. Koei didn't even show a Nioh trailer, yet on the 17th they've said that they'll show a "confidential Nioh video". None of Gusts games showed up even though they're going to have streams dedicated to them. Nothing really shown about RE7 even though we know they have stuff planned for TGS. I think publishers just want to have some announcements/trailers to debut on their own streams instead of having everything shown at Sony's conference which leads to fewer people paying attention to specific company streams.

Yeah. If you look at last year for example, SE didn't show FF15 at the Sony conference and opted to debut the new trailer at their booth instead. This isn't anything new.

K.Sabot

Where's evidence of this?

There is no evidence, but there is precedence.

With how slow sony's been out of the gate in the development department, I truly believe it won't get better after they have some semblance of a success with their new shiny peripheral.

wapplew

Probably that too.
Or maybe fucking SIEA holding back all the cool stuff for PSX, Dynasty warrior 9 for example. They fuck SIEJ real hard.

Asd202

I think many publisher absence because Nintendo got them lock down for NX reveal.

Can't wait for disappointment from NX reveal. People's expectations towards that are crazy high right now.

Probably that too.
Or maybe fucking SIEA holding back all the cool stuff for PSX, Dynasty warrior 9 for example. They fuck SIEJ real hard.

They didn't even show Gravity Rush and TLG and both are supposed to come out in less than 3 months. Who knows what there thinking.

Loudninja

Yep, even at E3 Nier was announced at SE conference not at Sony's.

delSai

I have a question about third party showings at those events: Who is approaching who? Is it Mr. Sony asking Bandai-San if they can show Ace Combat 7? Or is it the other way around? Sorry for my ignorance, but i really dont know how that works.

Capella

I think Atlus also saved all of their Persona 5 gameplay and news for their own even last year even though it was at Sony's conference the year before.

Putting the game reveals aside, I'm happy that Sony is at least trying some new things to get Japan excited about gaming again

* Heavily pushing VR with a slew of genres and services
* Diversifying their portfolio
* Hosting Playstation Matsuri/festival in the coming months

Yeah

Yeah, it seems like it.

I think Atlus also saved all of their Persona 5 gameplay and news for their own even last year even though it was at Sony's conference the year before.

Yup.

wildfire

Banned
First half had all the good stuff. Second half was a dud.

2nd half was interesting because it seems like Sony is going to push VR as an application platform before FAcebook, MS or Google does.

It looks really rough but I'm very interested in seeing what's their full plan and what works at release.

wapplew

I know.

But seeing Bandai Namco's Naruto stuff, Falcom titles, long Yakuza trailers, etc are things that we have come to expect from Sony's pre-TGS presser.

Sign of Japanese publishers have big show stage of their own and independence from platform holder.
I think its a good thing.

no, nooooo, no, maybe, fucking done with caring about this, yes, not again, lol, LOL

and you're speaking for the future... 2015 was abysmal for 1st party releases, 2016 will continue the trend.

people in 2009 would have espoused this "argument" at me if I said this about microsoft

"BUT BUT HALO: REACH, FABLE 3, ALAN WAKE, CRACKDOWN 2, GEARS 3, FORZA 4"

it's been feeling like sony hasn't been putting the best foot forward for a bit now.

DangerMouse posts a list with 5 new IPs in it and your response is "that's totally the same as this list of sequels!" Just stop. Your argument is dumb.

Think Japan studios wants to ship TLG,GR2 and Everybody's golf before they start announcing new games. Still that does not excuse Sony from this years poor showing.

Sign of Japanese publishers have big show stage of their own and independence from platform holder.
I think its a good thing.
Honest question: do Falcom and Marvelous have their own TGS live streams where they are supposed to announce new titles?

Also, I'm not sure I see that as a good thing. I would much rather see surprise announcement/gameplay trailers at a big presser than to see a thread in GAF saying that title X has been announced which takes away the thrill and surprise factors that you would get from the former approach.

I hope SIEA makes Gravity Rush Remastered a Plus title before the release of GR2 like Japan is doing. It would get a lot of attention since people always want retail games on the service.

Capella

There is no evidence, but there is precedence.

With how slow sony's been out of the gate in the development department, I truly believe it won't get better after they have some semblance of a success with their new shiny peripheral.

I'm pretty sure development was slow for a lot of studios at the beginning. Isn't that the reason why we had so many remasters at the beginning of this gen? Plus development times are longer now for games compared to last gen.

MrCarter

Yeah I'm not watching TGS ever again. The whole show was awful with most existing trailers being shown but in Japanese. I think it's fair to say PlayStation is a western brand now with Japanese developers being more and more secondary to that division.

RikkTheGaijin

Capcom Artist
Yeah I'm not watching TGS ever again. The whole show was awful with most existing trailers being shown but in Japanese. I think it's fair to say PlayStation is a western brand now with Japanese developers being more and more secondary to that division.

That was not the TGS, it was the Japanese Sony Press Conference. TGS starts in two days.

Elios83

Just woke up and...lol...this seemed more on the low key side.
It's nice that they got a few release dates announced.
New Hot Shot Golf looks great and really improved over the debut material.
Still no RE7,Tekken7, TLG, GT Sport, GR2 , Ni No Kuni 2, Ace Combat 7, no DQXI update, no interesting Pro details for japanese games.
Maybe we'll get more details in the dedicated conferences but so far looks like a missed opportunity to me.

Loudninja

Missed the conference

Does anyone have a list of what happened?

Games:
  • Granblue Fantasy: Project Re: Link for PS4 coming in 2018
  • Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy announced for PS4 and Vita
  • Earth Defense Force 5 announced for PS4
  • Gundam Versus announced for PS4
  • Musou Stars announced for PS4, PS Vita
  • V! What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord? Return announced for PSVR

Trailer/Release dates:

• Nioh launches worldwide on February 9
  • New Danganronpa V3 launches January 2017 in Japan
  • New Hot Shots Golf launches summer 2017 in Japan
  • NieR: Automata launches February 23 in Japan
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 launches January 12 in Japan, January 24 in the west
  • SaGa: Scarlet Grace launches December 15 in Japan

Hardware:
  • Final Fantasy XV ‘Lunar Edition’ PS4 slim model announced for Japan
  • PS Vita Silver and Metallic Red color variations announced for Japan

Shahed

Woke up a little earlier. Lookslike I'm glad I slept in an dmissed this one. Nothing of note for me whatsoever. Heck even the FFXV Limited Edition turned out to be a Slim knstead of a Pro ao that was a bust.

Oh well.

Top Bottom