• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon GO is now the biggest mobile game in U.S. history (by peak DAU)

udivision

Man... I guess it only needs to keep a fraction of those numbers to still be a big, successful l game in the coming months/year.

Tobor

Assuming they can hold this phenomenon for even a few months, it's conceivable this could be the most successful Nintendo(IP) game of all time, and it's not available on Nintendo hardware.

Even more amazing, this level of success is impossible on Nintendo hardware, as there is no way to get that much gaming hardware out in the world and into people's pockets.

Meier

I'm 34 years old.
To me so far has been one of the biggest ever.
And I'm in Italy, so I didn't even download the app yet.
I'm talking about its exposure.

You are absolutely right. This is unprecedented. Gaming usually has a very strong but specific base -- PoGo has surpassed that to an extent that is hard to fathom.

They turned on the stops in downtown Austin and at UT yesterday.. I was driving home and when we got a few blocks from the state capital my wife mentioned there were a ton of Stops around the grounds. I ended up driving in front and there were probably at least 100 people walking around the area and that was just at the front.. there were probably 20 other stops I couldn't see. It's an absolute phenomenon. I was so happy when I saw those people.

Neoxon

Assuming they can hold this phenomenon for even a few months, it's conceivable this could be the most successful Nintendo(IP) game of all time, and it's not available on Nintendo hardware.

Even more amazing, this level of success is impossible on Nintendo hardware, as there is no way to get that much gaming hardware out in the world and into people's pockets.
Keep in mind that console/handheld games cost more.

Even more amazing, this level of success is impossible on traditional console hardware, as there is no way to get that much gaming hardware out in the world and into people's pockets.

Fixed. Its only possible due to the fact that everyone owns a smartphone that have capability of GPS, AR, 3G/4G Data,etc in this generation.

I'm talking about revenue. This game has the potential to pull in far more revenue than any traditional console game.

Also fixed.

Its kind of scary how much this is making and its not out WW yet.

E-phonk

Banned
I wonder what the impact would be if they would release this on NX handheld with additional elements (PVP) that are NX exclusive.
Or just make the pokemon transferable to sun/moon

I wonder what the impact would be if they would release this on NX handheld with additional elements (PVP) that are NX exclusive.
Go will Will Tie Into Sun and Moon Eventually as mentioned during E3.

Cross promotion is going to be big IMO, Nintendo will not be so stupid to waste this chance,
I hope

Tobor

Fixed. Its only possible due to the fact that everyone owns a smartphone that have capability of GPS, AR, 3G/4G Data,etc in this generation.

Of course, which is my point. This kind of success requires an addressable market that is simply impossible to achieve with dedicated gaming hardware.

Also fixed.

Its kind of scary how much this is making and its not out WW yet.

Yep.

Not much impact impact on NX handheld, I don't think. People already have a phone, NX is a barrier to entry.

E-phonk

Banned
Not much impact impact on NX handheld, I don't think. People already have a phone, NX is a barrier to entry.

I disagree. If they would port it to NX with extra features (PVP and "bigger" battles for example) and without it draining your phones battery I'm sure some people would be interested.
Don't know if that is something they are considering or not, but if I was Nintendo that would be something I'd definitly look into.

Interfectum

I disagree. If they would port it to NX with extra features (PVP and "bigger" battles for example) and without it draining your phones battery I'm sure some people would be interested.
Don't know if that is something they are considering or not, but if I was Nintendo that would be something I'd definitly look into.

Eh this game works perfect as a phone game as you already take your phone everywhere with you. The game is now super popular because everyone is talking about how super popular it is. Everyone jumping in on the zeitgeist for free on a device they already own. I don't see that jumping ship to a new gaming device.

Tobor

Some people? Yes. A significant number of people, no.

This game is as successful as it is because it requires no additional hardware investment. People want to play on what is already in their pockets. The vast majority are only willing to give this game a try because it's "free" to get started.

Eh this game works perfect as a phone game as you already take your phone everywhere with you. The game is now super popular because everyone is talking about how super popular it is. Everyone jumping in on the zeitgeist for free on a device they already own. I don't see that jumping ship to a new gaming device.

I think what he is saying is that Nintendo should make an enhanced version for the hardcore fans that are willing to buy the NX for the additional features.

Some people? Yes. A significant number of people, no.

This game is as successful as it is because it requires no additional hardware investment. People want to play on what is already in their pockets. The vast majority are only willing to give this game a try because it's "free" to get started.

He also asked what "impact" that would have. To which the correct reply was "not much".

Yup. But do note that the Pokemon fanbase is huge and the some may be still worth the investment needed to port the game if it can increase the chances of NX success .

Tobor

I think what he is saying is that Nintendo should make an enhanced version for the hardcore fans that are willing to buy the NX for the additional features.

He also asked what "impact" that would have. To which the correct reply was "not much".

MajorMane

The fact that this could surpass Google Maps as using more of Alphabet's mapping data is insane. No doubt that this game is culturally viral right now. Hopefully it can keep up the hype and survive to be a long functioning game.

E-phonk

Banned

Let's not act like pokemon games don't already sell 12-17 million copies. A free extended port of Pokemon Go on NX might still be succesfull as a booster for Nintendo's handheld.

Neoxon

Let's not act like pokemon games don't already sell 12-17 million copies. A free extended port of Pokemon Go on NX might still be succesfull as a booster for Nintendo's handheld.
That depends on if there even is a NX Handheld.

Tobor

So never played a Pokémon and I am wondering why I should download this. Is it easy to pick up and play and most importantly understand what you are doing?

Yes. If you have any questions, literally grab anyone around you. They can explain.

MajorMane

So never played a Pokémon and I am wondering why I should download this. Is it easy to pick up and play and most importantly understand what you are doing?

Pretty easy, though there does seem to be a lack of proper tutorial. Basically you walk around in real life and Pokemon will appear, you touch them, throw the Pokeball (like toss a paper ball into a trash bin game), and so on and so forth. Depending on how big of a place you live, you can run into a ton of Pokemon or run into not that many.

It's free. Doesn't hurt to download and try it.

Yes. If you have any questions, literally grab anyone around you. They can explain.

Also this. It's insane the amount of people playing.

Jinaar

I was out walking yesterday and walked by a "Misty" cosplayer who was on her phone playing the game.

Also passed about 50 people playing the game in and around the river valley I live by.

Crazy!

I know the AR stuff is worse on battery, and many people shut it off, but I don't care... I'm thinking of buying a new phone just for it. I want my pictures with pokemon.

Kimawolf

Funny.. people laughed at Iwata when he said one game can change tour fortunes. One game increased their worth by 12 billion.

Think on that.

Tobor

Funny.. people laughed at Iwata when he said one game can change tour fortunes. One game increased their worth by 12 billion.

Think on that.

He was specifically talking about one game turning around a hardware platforms fortunes. Ironically, this game isn't on Nintendo hardware.

You are absolutely right. This is unprecedented. Gaming usually has a very strong but specific base -- PoGo has surpassed that to an extent that is hard to fathom.

They turned on the stops in downtown Austin and at UT yesterday.. I was driving home and when we got a few blocks from the state capital my wife mentioned there were a ton of Stops around the grounds. I ended up driving in front and there were probably at least 100 people walking around the area and that was just at the front.. there were probably 20 other stops I couldn't see. It's an absolute phenomenon. I was so happy when I saw those people.

What do you mean by "turned on the stops?" I thought they were static, at least for now.

He was specifically talking about one game turning around a hardware platforms fortunes. Ironically, this game isn't on Nintendo hardware.

I honestly don't think there's such a thing as a singular "killer app" for any platform anymore. People want to buy into ecosystems and online communities.

MajorMane

Think on that.

Somewhere Iwata is Iwata: Laughs'ing at the success Pokemon Go has had.

... that being said, it could still be too early to tell. It's definitely made a huge impact on the short-run. The long-run remains to be seen.

What do you mean by "turned on the stops?" I thought they were static, at least for now.

I could've sworn there were more Pokestops around my campus after yesterday, but I could be wrong.

Could easily give them the initial draw they need to a new platform if they launch a compelling Go companion game.

qko

Ehh, idk about that.
It's a F2P Mobile Pokémon game buddy. Mainstream wouldn't give a crap about Pikmin/Metroid on PS4.

Back on topic. I wonder how much longevity this game will have.

Yeah, I feel that Nintendo has 3-4 I with massive appeal.

Mario
Pokemon
Donkey Kong
Maybe Animal Crossing or Zelda

Some will argue DK, but if Nintendo made a Pac-Man VS Remix Version of the old arcade game... Many would buy in.

Wensih

It's a fad guys. It'll only make 10 billion. It can't sustain these numbers in 4 months. Nintendo/Niantic/Gamefreak had nothing to do with this. This isn't even a real game. I got bored after one minute. That should about cover some of the responses.

Oh well if it'll ONLY make 10 Billion. Let's wrap it up guys there's nothing to see here.

Meier

There were no PokeStops or Gyms in downtown Austin or on the UT campus, etc. They have to port them over from Ingress and they hadn't done it for whatever reason. Either due to the app update or just sort of in conjunction with it, they were all enabled yesterday.

So it went from nothing to this yesterday (this is a part of UT, including 2 stop at my building):

CnM232xVMAAE6lP.jpg:large

Top Bottom