• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon GO is now the biggest mobile game in U.S. history (by peak DAU)

Yup, i remember that we should see an official 3DS pricedrop this holidays.
What is the official current New 3DS price in USA right now anyway, $200?

$200 for the New 3DS XL and $loldealwithit for the regular model (no longer exists even as a bundle).

I say $150 with Pokemon Sun/Moon for a last hurrah let's go! It will probably be something like $170 standalone though, aka useless.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So this is the mainline Pokemon game now, right?

Certainly in terms of popular relevance. At least for right now, and certainly if they can perpetuate its popularity.

I wonder if there'll be any carry-over to other Pokemon games elsewhere.

E-phonk

Banned
They INVESTED in Niantic, which probably means they are giving them funds (or buying stocks) in order to get the product out and make them money. They DID NOT buy Niantic with the Pokemon Company.

Euh, read the quote I put there, by John Hanke (chief executive of Niantic) in the link you reply to:

Partly it allows us to do something like this with Nintendo and Pokémon, where they can invest and be a co-owner of the company and feel like they have a very tight relationship. They’re putting the number two video game franchise of all time in the hands of this project. It would be more difficult to do if they didn’t at least own a portion of the company. They feel like there’s a good alignment of interest.

Azuran

Banned
"But pokemon on phones can't work"

Bow to the king.

Is there anyone that actually said this?

Because Pokemon is like one of the easiest games that can work on phone..

I like how there are two groups of haters.

1. People who hate things that are "in" in general
2. Diehard Pokémon fans

3. People who can't play yet because Niantic are fucking useless who can't release games in other countries.

Euh, read the quote I put there, by John Hanke (chief executive of Niantic) in the link you reply to:

Ah, there's multiple pages in this article, I didn't find that phrase in the first part so I thought you were just spouting ancillary quotes you heard elsewhere.

There probably won't be anything like this again for some time. It's a craze like the Wii was. Winter is what's going to kill it. If we're still getting those in the US

For now rhough it's a pokenomenon. Sorry had to say that.

There probably won't be anything like this again for some time. It's a craze like the Wii was. Winter is what's going to kill it. If we're still getting those in the US

For now rhough it's a pokenomenom. Sorry had to say that.

Oh ho ho. Winter won't kill it, humanity is persistent, and it's possible special pokemon are available in the frozen tundra of the US East Coast.

At least I'm safe knowing I can play this in relative comfort in the death droughts of California.

maxcriden

$200 for the New 3DS XL and $loldealwithit for the regular model (no longer exists even as a bundle).

I say $150 with Pokemon Sun/Moon for a last hurrah let's go! It will probably be something like $170 standalone though, aka useless.

For which model? N3DS w/ Sun/Moon for $150?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Is there anyone that actually said this?

Because Pokemon is like one of the easiest games that can work on phone..

The relevant people at TPC and Nintendo did, since it took until 2016 to make it : )

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Bow to the king.

Actually most said it would work, along with Animal Crossing.

Mario and other platformers were what most argued wouldn't.

For now rhough it's a pokenomenon. Sorry had to say that.

This is literally becoming a repeat of the first pokemon outbreak... I'm really curious as to how this is going to affect the sales of pokemon related merchandise... if we're going to see pokemon everywhere like we did in 1998-2000... or if this is really just contained in the lands of mobile for now.

Flakster99

Out of nowhere, fantastic news.

I went out with my friend lastnight for some Pokemon hunting. We found what we call the "magic mile". It was this one street with like 6 or more poke stops on it, all close together.

We park our car at the start of the street and get walking, gotta hatch them eggs!

As we come up to the middle, we notice someone put out a few lures, so that three poke stops have em and you can be in all three at the same time. There were easily 8 cars or more, all packed in on this little street. People were out walking too.

One of the residents was yelling at people to leave and stop playing. We just kept walking, checking in and catching what we could. We got all the way to the end, then turned around and as we're coming back, a random in a car tells us to turn around, someone called the cops.

We then see droves of cars coming from there, with a few police cars at the end.

One of the other residents came out of his house to chat with us. Apparently the guy that called the cops and was yelling also told him he wasnt allowed to play here, and he told him to fuck himself, that he lives on the street and will play where he damn well pleases.

We left, went on to fight a local gym, a car pulled up and the guy asked me if i beat that gym, i said yes. He told me he was going to kick my ass. He whips out his phone, took on my gym and won. Then he flipped me off and drove away. My friend and I couldnt stop laughing.

Fucking Pokemon Go

I can't wait till this is released in Canada, I want to experience something like this. Awesome story.

It's why I always laugh when people suggest that Nintendo games would only be popular on their platforms and wouldn't dominate on others. People don't want to buy their systems in droves, but given a chance to play their IPs on other platforms/devices? They would dominate

This game takes unique advantage of the mobile platform to create a unique experience.

This is not simply porting the latest pokemon game to a cell phone and adding microtransactions. That was the "watering down" effect people were worried about for Nintendo's traditional games.

Congrats to them on the success. They had better be hiring for that team to be much larger to get more content and updates out asap. Don't let this one slip away. There's enough opportunities for expansion and growth on this idea that this could be gigantic for years to come.

I wonder how much salt is being poured out on king and supercell the past week. Fuck em. Someone finally cracked the wide and shallow business model for mobile in a meaningful way. Whale hunts are outdated and in the past now.

And worse of all is #3

3. Team instinct

There's a 4th I experienced at work yesterday.

4. "It's a government conspiracy to mind control us"

Of course this was followed up by an ignorant rant about how all videogames are pointless and only ever played by stinky men in their basements talking on headsets.

I really hate trying to talk to ignorant people at work and having to bite your tongue.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Well deserved, it's a genius concept. Just waiting til it 'officially' rolls out over here and I'll get in on the hype.

Riposte

Bow to the king.

I don't understand the context of this statement. Pokemon is pretty popular through emulators, and maybe some clones, on mobile. On the other hand, Pokemon Go isn't like a Pokemon game at all, besides the theme.

Z3M0G

Potential to be the biggest game in years.....they cheaped out on servers and botched it's worldwide release. Just nuts.
Its difficult to even hope for, let alone anticipate, this level of success and user interest...

Nobody could have been properly prepared for this.

KingBroly

Banned
Actually most said it would work, along with Animal Crossing.

Mario and other platformers were what most argued wouldn't.

Smash Bros would never work on Mobile in its' current form.

That 3DS street pass thing for Smash 3DS would, but that's not Smash Bros.

Aaron D.

'Grats, Nintendo!

Hope this is just the beginning with their relationship w/ mobile.

pokemon1_col.png

On a side note, is Words With Friends not considered a game? 'Cause I certainly understand "flash in the pan" titles like Draw Something being up there, but as a daily metro-rail commuter in DC and a frequent flyer in general, I see people playing Words on mobile more than any other single app, sans maybe Candy Crush. And for that matter, where's Angry Birds?

Is this survey only for recent usage?

I really hope that if this continues Nintendo doesn't take it to heart as meaning that mobile games are the one true path to success.

I get your concern but one of the reasons Nintendo decided to release games pn mobile, license their IP, release movies, create Amiibos, etc... is to diversify their business and create multiple revenue streams. The plan was also to get their IP in the hands of as many consumers as possible in the hopes that would drive hardware sales. While I'm not convinced it will result in significantly more hardware sales, it wouldn't make sense to suddenly abandon their plan, now that the initial stages are successful and make the decision to focus solely on mobile.

If Nintendo can continue to be profitable in their dedicated hardware business I think they continue to release consoles, even if sales are lower than what a lot of people would consider a success. Remember they were profitable through the Gamecube years and some of the Wii U years disapointing horrible sales.

SeanR1221

But I was told Nintendo going mobile would devalue their franchises and undermine their current games 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

I've also been told their biggest franchises wouldn't be popular on ps4/xbox1 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Z3M0G

Ehh, idk about that.
It's a F2P Mobile Pokémon game buddy. Mainstream wouldn't give a crap about Pikmin/Metroid on PS4.

Back on topic. I wonder how much longevity this game will have.
Why Pikmin? Why not Mario??

And holy shit ill abolutely take Metroid on my PS4, are you crazy?

Disxo

But I was told Nintendo going mobile would devalue their franchises and undermine their current games 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

I've also been told their biggest franchises wouldn't be popular on ps4/xbox1 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Dont think those franchises like metroid or pokemon would be popular on those consoles tbh.
They do their thing.

Meffer

So this is the mainline Pokemon game now, right?

Certainly in terms of popular relevance. At least for right now, and certainly if they can perpetuate its popularity.

I wonder if there'll be any carry-over to other Pokemon games elsewhere.
It's still a spinoff like Persona is a spinoff to the SMT series.

Disxo

Why Pikmin? Why not Mario??

And holy shit ill abolutely take Metroid on my PS4, are you crazy?
You, only you m8.
Dont think a metroid would surpass more than 2 million copies sold, considering the amount of money to be invested in HD graphics and other AAA crap, that wouldnt be profitable.

1 million on wiiU and some consoles sold is much better if I do say so myself.

_machine

'Grats, Nintendo!

Hope this is just the beginning with their relationship w/ mobile.

On a side note, is Words With Friends not considered a game? 'Cause I certainly understand "flash in the pan" titles like Draw Something being up there, but as a daily metro-rail commuter in DC and a frequent flyer in general, I see people playing Words on mobile more than any other single app, sans maybe Candy Crush. And for that matter, where's Angry Birds?

Is this survey only for recent usage?
Words with Friends doesn't compare really; it had a good launch, but not in the scale of aformentioned titles. Pokemon GO surpasses it by more than a factor of 10x for the US launch.

Awww. That gives me fuzzies cuz I'm fairly positive my son is on the autism spectrum and he's already liking Pokemon Go. He's been obsessed with Minecraft for a long time now and I'm hoping he gets into this since more people will be able to relate with him when he starts telling them about every tiny detail of the game lol...

Top Bottom