• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO hits the #1 top grossing iOS spot in both the United States and Australia

Stories like this are what makes me think this game has a very high chance of having legs. I think people who think it's going to fizzle quickly out are simply still thinking in the single-player console mindset instead of a meta game played in real-time.

As long as Niantic will continue with the plans they've stated, this will have crazy long legs. I mean, I would think that people would have learned after Splatoon but apparently not.

Wonder what would happen if they throwed in the possibility of finding shiny pokemon lol.

I think shinies are already confirmed to exist.

Is this still number 1 grossing in the us app store?

Edit: just switched store to us, and its sitting at #56. I doubt it will ever surpass supercell games in money made.

_machine

As expected, the revenue (estimate) is still on a strong upwards trajectory, and the game is holding #1 easily in the US. Overall rating has dropped (technical issues seems to be the major culprit by far), but downloads are on the rise too.

I've never seen anything like this before. I got my wife onto it this morning before we headed out for our usual Sunday walk. There were people everywhere playing, chatting, setting lures for everyone use. We even saw a dad with his two sons walking around to find some rare Mons.

It continued tonight, someone put a lure down near our local beach and I swear 20-30 people showed up, some walking, others pulling up in cars.... Wtf is happening?

I think this could have been a cultural phenomenon unlike any other if it would have released worldwide at the same time on robust servers and if it were actually a well performing, well thought out game with typical pokemon gameplay, trading, communicating, progression and pvp, built around the real world and augmented reality stuff.

But right now I could see the initial hype wear off pretty quickly once people got over how amazing it is to see Pokemon roaming the streets you walk everyday. Because as of right now I think the gameplay is pretty shallow.

I think they underestimated the opportunity at hand.

I live next door to a gym. Just got home and saw a P-plater idling on the side of the street. I know what you are doing P-plater. I know what you are doing.

Stories like this are what makes me think this game has a very high chance of having legs. I think people who think it's going to fizzle quickly out are simply still thinking in the single-player console mindset instead of a meta game played in real-time.

As long as Niantic will continue with the plans they've stated, this will have crazy long legs. I mean, I would think that people would have learned after Splatoon but apparently not.

I think shinies are already confirmed to exist.
They dont exist yet

As expected, the revenue (estimate) is still on a strong upwards trajectory, and the game is holding #1 easily in the US. Overall rating has dropped (technical issues seems to be the major culprit by far), but downloads are on the rise too.

Do you have access to data? I was searching around a bit for download numbers.

Fair enough. Hopefully they'll get to Gen 7 by the time Sun & Moon drop.

I think they might skip a few generations and release Sun and Moon Pokemon as cross promotion near release of the game.

_machine

Do you have access to data? I was searching around a bit for download numbers.
Sorry, it's all paid sources and I can't disclose which since it's all behind the company I work for. Another interesting tidbit I could make quite easily, is that they could definitely do profitable user acquisition already (even if they didn't have the massive virality and brand to drive lower eCPI), but but all accounts don't seem be to doing yet. Most likely because they want to fix the technology and funnel first, but the early numbers are crazy good regardless when you factor in the lack of UA.

T.O.P

Banned
I see the game as the #1 free game but #48 as top grossing.

immagine11wes9t.jpg

How come that people are seeing different things?

Rodelero

It's only natural that some players will drop off after playing for the first week or two, but for a while there should be an equal number coming to replace them while it remains new and exciting. That's the nature of the casual/mainstream market.

The key question is how long that period of new people still coming in in large quantities lasts. The Wii managed to do this for four years straight before its userbase dwindled.

Assuming the game is updated, bugs are fixed etc and new content added down the line, it should be able to settle down into a core base of loyal players in the long term. The second key question is, how large will that core base be?

This is what people tend to underestimate about the mobile market. Though there's always a huge burst towards the beginning, particularly with a game like this which has massive name recognition and featuring, they have much flatter sales/download curves than retail games typically. Active user counts can be practically stable for a very long period.

If Niantic can continue to develop this, it could be huge for years.

Darryl

Banned
Im waiting for that I told you so moment, when in 2-3 weeks you see a huge drop in users.

I wouldnt mind a Gen 2 if they actually put some effort into making a real game.

the game has already made a lasting impression on children and those guys don't give up on things easily. they'll keep at it for months. they're not image concious yet and won't buy into the pack mentality of quitting once everyone else does easily. you might not see the game taper off as fast as you think, because the top 2% who spend money will still likely be here, and it'll have hardcore fans and children. it's decline will probably be slow enough that it won't shock anyone

GDGF

Soothsayer
So I guess people got the pokemon MMO they were asking for.

Pretty much. It's like an MMO in the real world. Maybe they should add quests at the Pokestops. Deliver an important item to a nearby location for a virtual (or non virtual if they can add player made quests) npc and reap a reward upon completion.

GOOCHY

I just drove up the street for some gas and there were three groups of cars at the end of the road - all occupants with their faces in their phones, at a Pokémon meeting area.

ReaperXL7

I keep getting this feeling that Nintendo fans are terrified of this games potential success. As it stands the only people I ever really see being down on it are people who seem very attached to Nintendo where as its hooked so many different types of people that I think it absolutely shows how if Niantic supports this the way they should it could only get bigger.

It's going to get bigger anyway considering it still has to properly launch in many countries. This game succeeding would only be a positive for Nintendo.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So how come this is nowhere to be found in the UK store? Nintendo imposing their region disparity principles to the mobile world?

_machine

NeoGAF has seen a share of its userbase getting more and more disconnected with the innovative front lines of modern gaming for a while now, but this might be the biggest example yet. Look almost anywhere else on the entire internet -- twitter, even bastion of negativity reddit -- or in the real world (anyone in a US urban area can find Pokemon GO players right now literally just by going outside) and you can see the level of enthusiasm this game is generating. Here you have people worrying about how this (wildly successful) title is going to affect Nintendo's (fading, rapidly irrelevant) handheld business. Just a huge mismatch.

In particular the idea that what this game really "needs" to be successful is later generation pokemon (which 95% of the audience don't know or don't care about) or really intricate mechanics (which the vast majority of pokemon players have never engaged with in any previous title) is pretty funny to me.

I keep getting this feeling that Nintendo fans are terrified of this games potential success. As it stands the only people I ever really see being down on it are people who seem very attached to Nintendo where as its hooked so many different types of people that I think it absolutely shows how if Niantic supports this the way they should it could only get bigger.

It's only a very specific variety of fan that is too rare to be anything but internet-exclusive in most cases. I work at a tech company with some suuuuuper enthusiastic Nintendo fans (like, people who have played Smash at work lunch every day without fail for years or who drove out of town to hunt down down rare amiibos) and they're all excited about GO and setting up walks in the office neighborhood and whatnot. I think most grown adult people who are fond of Pokemon are going to be much more in this vein than the vein where this annoys or threatens them.

Acerac

Banned

I've noticed this as well. Most of them seem to be downplaying the social aspects, which I think may be my favorite part of the game.

I suppose being able to leave your house at 2 in the morning and meeting up with a dozen strangers isn't for everyone. It is absolutely an amazing experience for me though.

I've noticed this as well. Most of them seem to be downplaying the social aspects, which I think may be my favorite part of the game.

I suppose being able to leave your house at 2 in the morning and meeting up with a dozen strangers isn't for everyone. It is absolutely an amazing experience for me though.

Walking in a random place and having someone say "Pokemon?" Is such a common occurrence but really feels great. There is a form of camaraderie there.

Shiggy

I wonder how long this can keep on, or if it's gonna fade like Miitomo rather quickly. As it's not out here in Europe yet, I haven't really seen anything in my social environment and I doubt that my friends are gonna jump onto it. And in China I don't think it's gonna launch anytime soon.

I'd be honestly surprised if this will keep its steam for more than a year.

ReaperXL7

I agree, it's pretty awesome how something this simple can connect people who might otherwise never even bother looking in the other persons direction. This is about as social a game as I've ever seen to be honest.

Now imagine if the game was good.

Doesn't seem to matter when it's doing what it was intended to do. What dictates "good" is in the eye of the beholder.

Neoxon

I think they might skip a few generations and release Sun and Moon Pokemon as cross promotion near release of the game.
That's what I was thinking. Of course, I don't think they'll add all of them right when Sun/Moon drop, but maybe just the major ones that were advertised ahead of launch.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Now imagine if the game was good.

I wonder how long this can keep on, or if it's gonna fade like Miitomo rather quickly. As it's not out here in Europe yet, I haven't really seen anything in my social environment and I doubt that my friends are gonna jump onto it. And in China I don't think it's gonna launch anytime soon.

I'd be honestly surprised if this will keep its steam for more than a year.

Lol

Go really is fighting against a lot of negativity

Here in my country (Chile, Latin America) people is crazy waiting for its release. A lot of non-gaming media big sites are posting news about it constantly.

That's a good sign for an app that we could play for just 8 hours since its release, until the regional block happened.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Where have I been negative? There's simply no general hype in Germany or China. But it's also not out here.

I see a lot of hype in Germany actually, lots of friends and collegues picked the thing up, half of everyone I see at work is catching Pokemans all day, etc. Don't forget the thing didn't even launch yet, I have a feeling this will be way more lit than we expect

I think this could have been a cultural phenomenon unlike any other if it would have released worldwide at the same time on robust servers and if it were actually a well performing, well thought out game with typical pokemon gameplay, trading, communicating, progression and pvp, built around the real world and augmented reality stuff.

But right now I could see the initial hype wear off pretty quickly once people got over how amazing it is to see Pokemon roaming the streets you walk everyday. Because as of right now I think the gameplay is pretty shallow.

I think they underestimated the opportunity at hand.

The most popular games on mobile have very shallow gameplay that works on reward systems.

Making this game anymore complex than it is would kill it.

Right now, anyone can play with minimal effort and minimal effort is the key to success.

Basically this:
NeoGAF has seen a share of its userbase getting more and more disconnected with the innovative front lines of modern gaming for a while now, but this might be the biggest example yet. Look almost anywhere else on the entire internet -- twitter, even bastion of negativity reddit -- or in the real world (anyone in a US urban area can find Pokemon GO players right now literally just by going outside) and you can see the level of enthusiasm this game is generating. Here you have people worrying about how this (wildly successful) title is going to affect Nintendo's (fading, rapidly irrelevant) handheld business. Just a huge mismatch.

In particular the idea that what this game really "needs" to be successful is later generation pokemon (which 95% of the audience don't know or don't care about) or really intricate mechanics (which the vast majority of pokemon players have never engaged with in any previous title) is pretty funny to me.

Top Bottom