• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarkus

And, to me, gay rights are an easy sell to a party that supposedly wants less government intervention in people's lives. Like, I'm actually for the government keeping it's nose out of my bedroom and life. I fully support that. But, because the GOP is beholden to the Religious Right, you all can't do anything about it.
There are very few aspects of historical and current times that can exceed religion as the downfall of man. Many of the wars, the delay of intellectual progression, and so on. Religion should be a highly personal thing that should never enter politics and law. It shouldn't be unlawful to get an abortion if you have an unviable fetus (<23 weeks) just because the members of the governing political power have it written into their religious doctrine. Separation of church and state was supposed to be a thing.

royalan

Because I cannot square being a gay republican in THIS GOP. I am not what you would call a fiscal conservative, but I appreciate the concept of having checks against the far left. I think fiscal conservatism has a place at the table.

But any gay man, woman or transgender individual who can stand up and support a party who is calling for legalized torture of LGBTQ people is worthy of nothing but derision. And that's me putting my filter on.

SPILL THE TEA. SPILL IT HOT.

Groups like Log Cabin Republicans and Black Republicans always got a side-eye from me, but I can acknowledge the fact that these groups were formed at a time when the Republican party was a lot less extreme and put a little more care into the construction of their dogwhistle rhetoric.

But TODAY? Pfft...#gurlBYE

User1608

Banned
I've never mentioned it, but I'm Catholic and always keep my beliefs to myself. However, I do absolutely believe in separation of church and state. The religious right can fuck off.

A fiscally conservative party with either a liberal streak on social issues, or a more libertarian stance (at the very least) would be a welcome addition. But, it won't come about until the GOP, as it stands, is made completely irrelevant.

To be honest, given the interwoven nature of race and class in this country I'm not sure you can advocate for fiscal conservatism without being at least okay with disproportionately hurting minority groups. Fiscal conservatism as a concept has the stench of racism on it thanks in large part to the GOP. So I'm not sure it's truly possible to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Social liberalism in some sense has to be backed up by "big govt" programs.

Wikileaks is just asking questions about whether or not Hillary murdered Seth Rich.

Cpi6QPSXEAEjMXh.jpg

You will see this on Hannity within a week.

To be honest, given the interwoven nature of race and class in this country I'm not sure you can advocate for fiscal conservatism without being at least okay with disproportionately hurting minority groups. Fiscal conservatism as a concept has the stench of racism on it thanks in large part to the GOP. So I'm not sure it's truly possible to be socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Social liberalism in some sense has to be backed up by "big govt" programs.

Lots of people think the free market is the solution to these problems, that the government crowds out private investment that would generate longer-lasting, more palpable progress. I think this is wrong, but compared to the belief that black people just need to solve their problems with magic fairy dust that's hiding in their pockets that are hanging too low for them to reach, it's progress.

There are very few aspects of historical and current times that can exceed religion as the downfall of man. Many of the wars, the delay of intellectual progression, and so on. Religion should be a highly personal thing that should never enter politics and law. It shouldn't be unlawful to get an abortion if you have an unviable fetus (<23 weeks) just because the members of the governing political power have it written into their religious doctrine. Separation of church and state was supposed to be a thing.

This is something I also agree with.

There is only one reason I am pro-choice...and it's because I don't believe I have the right to codify my opinion on it into law. I am personally opposed to abortion. While it's easy for me as a man (and a gay one at that) to say I would never have an abortion, I simply don't believe I have the right to make that call for a woman. To quote Hillary, I believe abortion should be safe, legal and rare.

There are a lot of other things I'm probably way more conservative on than most liberals. For example, I'm 100% in favor of parents having the right to send their kids to private school or to homeschool them if they so choose....provided the government doesn't give them a penny to do it. (I don't support vouchers, for instance). At the same time, I want to improve public schools so much that no parent feels like mine did, that the only way I could get a decent education was to pay out the wazoo for private school.) To that end, I'm still not sold on free college either. And I've made my position on guaranteed minimum income fairly well known. (I can be won over on that though).

So, ya, the point is we're all pretty complex. Having one party for sane people and one party for insane people isn't desirable.

Man when Trump says his campaign hasn't really started he isn't kidding. No field offices or infrastructure in place in Cincinnati. Which, if you forgot, is in Ohio, kind of a swing state.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...l-trump-campaign-scrambling-sw-ohio/88514306/

I haven't seen a single Trump sign in the city, though I'm sure there are some.

The Dem GOTV hit 260+ houses in my neighborhood this past weekend (canvassing organizer called me on the phone last night). That's getting started.

My support for this position is moreso protection against someone like Trump and the modern GOP getting into power. I agree, there may be structural issues that undercut the ability of a true fiscal conservative to, you know ,argue policies that don't hurt the poor and other minorities.

ampere

I've never mentioned it, but I'm Catholic and always keep my beliefs to myself. However, I do absolutely believe in separation of church and state. The religious right can fuck off.

That's all that matters to me. People can have their beliefs, just not use them to make laws

SPILL THE TEA. SPILL IT HOT.

Groups like Log Cabin Republicans and Black Republicans always got a side-eye from me, but I can acknowledge the fact that these groups were formed at a time when the Republican party was a lot less extreme and put a little more care into the construction of their dogwhistle rhetoric.

But TODAY? Pfft...#gurlBYE

Log cabin Republicans were formed when the GOP was still using gay rights as a wedge issue so they don't have a single excuse.

A fiscally conservative party with either a liberal streak on social issues, or a more libertarian stance (at the very least) would be a welcome addition. But, it won't come about until the GOP, as it stands, is made completely irrelevant.

I don't see how much better libertarians will be much better on social issues. They'll either be like the establishment and not care about social issues, or they would almost hostile against it in a sense of rejecting focus on, and would prefer to focus on economic issues or "issues that matter". They probably would rather talk about allowing "freedoms" and getting rid of restrictions, instead of enforcing.

Teggy

Has anyone looked into whether Trump has ever voted at a polling place before? Because he doesn't seem to understand how polling places work AT ALL.

Also, Trump will be speaking what is effectively an anti gay conference this week so that should get some attention as well.

Let's be honest and talk a bit: In the debates, in the event Trump gets flustered and calls Hillary a bitch, how would you react, and what would the fallout be from the media and audiences? I personally would be stunned.

The good thing is, I don't think he has to call her a bitch to get the point across. I mentioned this in the other thread. He has no choice but to attack, attack, attack. She won't respond in kind, and the optics (sorry!) will be really, really bad for him. (At least among white women which....you know, we're doing good with them so far!) I assume he'll try and bring every question back to the emails and/or Ben Ghazi. All she has to do is constantly drag him back on topic "Donald. That is not what you were asked. You were asked about your plan for XYZ." The emperor has no clothes, and he cannot survive an actual policy debate.

I don't see how much better libertarians will be much better on social issues. They'll either be like the establishment and not care about social issues, or they would almost hostile against it in a sense of rejecting focus on, and would prefer to focus on economic issues or "issues that matter". They probably would rather talk about allowing "freedoms" and getting rid of restrictions, instead of enforcing.

Because the bar is so low, I'm willing to accept anything that's not openly hostile from the GOP. That's how low this bar is.

LOCK

Gay couple on Periscope supporting Trump......

The have been brainwashed into the idea that Trump is the only person who can keep America safe from ISIS.

I argued that Trump could appoint judges that could affect their lives and they basically didn't care because Trump employs gay people.

I can't.

Bowdz

Has anyone looked into whether Trump has ever voted at a polling place before? Because he doesn't seem to understand how polling places work AT ALL.

Also, Trump will be speaking what is effectively an anti gay conference this week so that should get some attention as well.

Reporters need to ask him this question repeated. It is so blatantly obvious that he hasn't voted recently until the primary.

Edit: Lmao, whoops. I'm eating crow right now.

I remember reading in one of these threads about how he kept getting turned away at polling locations because the polling location wasn't correct and him getting irritated. Don't remember if it was this thread or the previous one.

I'm not even sure what the GOP's definition of "fiscal conservatism" is. It's essentially an empty term that just sounds great if you don't particularly think about it for too long.

When fiscal conservatives argue for spending money in cases where it would be the fiscally responsible thing to do, maybe I'll take fiscal conservatism seriously.

When fiscal conservatives can talk about the United States running a deficit in an honest and economically-literate way, maybe I'll take fiscal conservatism seriously.

Vahagn

I'm not even sure what the GOP's definition of "fiscal conservatism" is. It's essentially an empty term that just sounds great if you don't particularly think about it for too long.

When fiscal conservatives argue for spending money in cases where it would be the fiscally responsible thing to do, maybe I'll take fiscal conservatism seriously.

When fiscal conservatives can talk about the United States running a deficit in an honest and economically-literate way, maybe I'll take fiscal conservatism seriously.

It's supposed to imply fiscal responsibility - I.e balanced budgets. But fiscal conservatism - if the last 50+ years are any indication, is actually massive deficit spending on upper income tax cuts, increased police state, war while cutting social programs. But selling "we're gonna cut spending on poverty programs to put more people in jail, Bomb more people, and give millionaires more tax cuts" isn't nearly as effective as "we're gonna reign in spending and pay down the debt".

It's kind of amazing how the GOP is making the wrong move at every turn. A segment from Hannity today called out the Trump-defectors by name and blamed them for sabotaging the party. They're essentially teeing up the narrative that when Trump loses it won't be because he ran on a platform of racism, xenophobia and misogyny but because a chunk of the party refused to endorse him. They're going to tear down the only handful of republican politicians that will have clean hands after this election is over and instead prop up candidates who will have the albatross of having supported Trump around their neck going into 2020. I mean, the shortsightedness is astonishing.

Here's the clip in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp_znoDXquE

Teggy

I remember reading in one of these threads about how he kept getting turned away at polling locations because the polling location wasn't correct and him getting irritated. Don't remember if it was this thread or the previous one.

That's what that video is. It also shows how NY does not have voter ID. Why didn't he just vote 10 times?!

Mike M

Nick N
Let's be honest and talk a bit: In the debates, in the event Trump gets flustered and calls Hillary a bitch, how would you react, and what would the fallout be from the media and audiences? I personally would be stunned.

Hah hah hah.
I would be incredibly shocked. I don't know where this expectation that he's going to call her a bitch or cunt if he gets flustered enough comes from. He's a nasty, mean little shit, but he practically works only with G-rated insults (at least in what he calls people directly).

I would be incredibly shocked. I don't know where this expectation that he's going to call her a bitch or cunt if he gets flustered enough comes from. He's a nasty, mean little shit, but he practically works only with G-rated insults.

I don't think he'll have ever experienced anything like this before. She'll be hitting him, in person, over and over and over. There will be no crowd to boost his delicate little ego. He's just going to get shit on the entire time. She's used to taking punches. Trump is not.

Now, I don't know that he'll flat out call her a bitch. I think he'll hint it. I think he'll do his patented idiotic shit where we know what he's saying, but he's not flat out saying it. But, I very much think he will say something potentially offensive during the debates.

I would be incredibly shocked. I don't know where this expectation that he's going to call her a bitch or cunt if he gets flustered enough comes from. He's a nasty, mean little shit, but he practically works only with G-rated insults.

Likewise. He's not the type to throw out expletives as a means of insult. "Dummy", "Loser", etc are all fair game, but when it comes to the really appalling comments he makes a point to be a little more obtuse about them. He wouldn't call Hillary a bitch, but he would maybe say she's an "ugly, nasty woman" who "screams too much" or something along those lines.

I would be incredibly shocked. I don't know where this expectation that he's going to call her a bitch or cunt if he gets flustered enough comes from. He's a nasty, mean little shit, but he practically works only with G-rated insults (at least in what he calls people directly).

Even then, if he were to talk over Hillary with a dismissive "okay, be quiet" while she's answering a question, that would reflect almost as poorly on him, and seems more likely than him using a word like "cunt". There's a lot of ways Donald Trump can wound himself debating a woman that don't directly involve the use of slurs.

Bowdz

It's kind of amazing how the GOP is making the wrong move at every turn. A segment from Hannity today called out the Trump-defectors by name and blamed them for sabotaging the party. They're essentially teeing up the narrative that when Trump loses it won't be because he ran on a platform of racism, xenophobia and misogyny but because a chunk of the party refused to endorse him. They're going to tear down the only handful of republican politicians that will have clean hands after this election is over and instead prop up candidates who will have the albatross of having supported Trump around their neck going into 2020. I mean, the shortsightedness is astonishing.

Here's the clip in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp_znoDXquE

I know right?

I've thought for a while now that the next candidate in 2020 will be another far right "true conservative" largely because of the dominance of the right wing media driving the narrative. They don't have to govern or win elections, so they can spout the most insane right wing drivel to attract the crazies and boost their ratings while the moderate have to deal with the electorate that the right wing media creates. Just like this primary, intelligent Republicans know their problems and how to fix them, but the primary season skews so heavily to the right that moderates simply won't make it through without MAJOR rule changes. The two most dangerous candidates on the right from a GE perspective only won one state each because of how far right the primaries skew.

After 2020, who knows how this shit will turn out, but THE driving force of the radicalization of the GOP is the prominence of the right wing media and considering their dominance in media ratings, they have no reason or incentive to tamp down their rhetoric.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom