• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Visceral's Battlefield game has a police theme, is due later this year

I can as well, but I'm foreseeing a lot of "too soon? how tasteless!" discussions if it goes down the "ripped from the headlines" route, lol.

I feel like I remember everyone hand-wringing over Battlefield 2's setting when it was first announced, and now look where we are.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I love Battlefield, but the military theme is already bad enough. Cops? No way. I've had too many direct experiences with the police to buy any game that tries to glorify them.

kuYuri

I wonder if this was the kickstarter project Police Warfare, in which EA bought the devs and made Police Warfare into a Battlefield game instead.

Nah, probably not. :p

Yearly Battlefield?

tDXwZIY.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Visceral? Why not Fersis?

How the hell could a 64- player cop shooter work? It's kinda disappointed that Visceral's talent is going towards this rather than a new Star Wars game.

Shosai

Banned
That's exactly why. That's not a "garbage" reason, despite whatever personal opinion you might have of endlessly buying sub-par games. Its a legitimate complaint and this is the final nail in the coffin. Battlefield has already been going downhill but this is the end. Not of the series, not of the millions of obsessive types who must populate the latest iteration of a FPS series each year. Its a different sort of end which should be obvious to anyone who's taken a look at Call of Duty since 2007.

How would this even negatively effect DICE's Battlefield work? Can't you just...not play the Visceral games?

Chindogg

I'd be interested if they used the game to highlight the ever increasing militarization of US police forces. NYPD having their own spy network is beyond creepy.

delta25

Banned
well In all honesty I'm a bit miffed at where Visceral is today. Instead of getting a next gen Dead space, were getting another milked product from EA from a developer who's talents are being wasted.

Ramirez

I love Battlefield, but the military theme is already bad enough. Cops? No way. I've had too many direct experiences with the police to buy any game that tries to glorify them.

Stereotyping an entire group of people based on a few bad experiences is pretty rich coming from you.

well In all honesty I'm a bit miffed at where Visceral is today. Instead of getting a next gen Dead space, were getting another milked product from EA from a developer who's talents are being wasted.

You're also getting a Star Wars game and an original IP from them in the future.

Looking forward to a broken game being released under a strict schedule, a bunch of Visceral employees being laid off and the rest of the studio being rebranded DICE Redwood.

EA are the most predictable publisher on the planet, you just know they're going to fuck something up and then shuffle things around in an attempt to hide how shitty they are. Best of all, the shuffling just results in more fuck ups.

Cynn

I'll be the guy who both loves BF4 and is looking fw to whatever this is. They don't need to use the Battlefield name though. Make a good urban war game and you could call it "Frank" without scaring people off.

I don't mind so much if it's a different developer with an (apparently) quite different theme.

If the Battlefield name is what it takes for us to get something more in the vein of SWAT, or a Heat game that isn't Payday, I'm down.

Visceral, despite stumbling a bit with Dead Space 3, seems like a fairly imaginative studio. I'm interested to see what they may bring to the Battlefield franchise.

Yeah, these.

I have no reason not to expect something pretty cool. Wait and see.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I'd be interested if they used the game to highlight the ever increasing militarization of US police forces. NYPD having their own spy network is beyond creepy.

I thought Black Ops 2 had some thoughtfulness to its near future depicition, at least enough to stimulate some debate. But not really enough for this subject matter.

I would be both astounded and really impressed if a thoughtful, balanced look at the deeper issues here came out of this shooter.

Police themed? That doesn't sound Battlefield at all! Sounds like they took some other game in development and named it Battlefield.

kuYuri

I'm starting to think it's even more likely this rumor, if true, is based on the halted Police Warfare kickstarter.

1. Police Warfare kickstarter mysteriously cancelled. Elastic Games said more news would be forthcoming. No news has come out since.

2. Elastic Games doesn't seem to exist anymore. Their website, Twitter, Facebook all disappeared within the last few months.

3. Their studio was located in Montreal, Canada. While Visceral Montreal is no longer around, they could have taken jobs at EA Montreal, who then could transfer them to Visceral proper. Or EA could have picked up the project from them and given it to Visceral.

4. Polygon now has info that a Police themed Battlefield is on the way.

It's not that farfetched now that I think about it. I'm sure I'm missing some pieces of info here, but you get my point.

Can I ask why? Apart from the obvious "diluting the marketplace" garbage? If the games are still getting a decent (1.5-2 yr) development cycle then I don't really see a problem personally.

we will hardly have time to play through the Map Packs of Battlefield 4 until we should be buying a new game already, a new Premium already and start grinding for the same guns & equipment again :p

Battlefield games should come out every 2 to 3 years.

RoKKeR

Disappointed that my favorite franchise has gone yearly but you know what, that means more Battlefield for me and I'm just fine with that.

And per the above post, my guess is at GDC. Battlefield 3 and 4 were both teased throughout February and revealed in March around GDC.

I'm starting to think it's even more likely this rumor, if true, is based on the halted Police Warfare kickstarter.

1. Police Warfare kickstarter mysteriously cancelled. Elastic Games said more news would be forthcoming. No news has come out since.

2. Elastic Games doesn't seem to exist anymore. Their website, Twitter, Facebook all disappeared within the last few months.

3. Their studios was located in Montreal, Canada. While Visceral Montreal is no longer around, they could have taken jobs at EA Montreal, who then could transfer them to Visceral proper. Or EA could have picked up the project from them and given it to Visceral.

It's not that farfetched now that I think about it. I'm sure I'm missing some pieces of info here, but you get my point.

Yo, pass me that tin foil hat, I'm a believer now! Seriously, something is fishy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

3. Their studios was located in Montreal, Canada. While Visceral Montreal is no longer around, they could have taken jobs at EA Montreal, who then could transfer them to Visceral proper. Or EA could have picked up the project from them and given it to Visceral.

Well if you know the staff on the project we could go look at where they are.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well if you know the staff on the project we could go look at where they are.

There were no names listed on the KS so I guess we'll never know unless if we see the same face again in a dev diary for this new game. Most people were speculating the cancellation was because it was picked up by a publisher.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, I found something: http://policewarfare.wikia.com/wiki/Elastic_Games

The Team

Shawn Wallace, Producer
James Wearing, Lead Designer
Tim Johnson, Technical Director
Gregory Allen, Audio Director
Danny Cocke, Music Composer
John Riggs, Character Technical Director
Mark Dedecker, Character Artist
Jesse Sandifer, Character Artist
Leo Li, Animator/Rigger
M. Jenkinson, 2d Artist
Robin Elbers, 3d Artist
Terry Fernández, Motion Graphics
Matt Allsopp, Concept Artist
Undisclosed concept artist #2
Undisclosed concept artist #3

komorebi

How would this even negatively effect DICE's Battlefield work? Can't you just...not play the Visceral games?

How about we go back to treating games as special things to build, innovate on, and create a fanbase that looks forward to each new release instead of having watered down indistinguishable crap shoved down our throats every 11 months, complete with season passes that don't even get to run their course before the community jumps ship?

That's the bigger issue. Its not about the developers, they come and go. This is about the usual pimps watering down the market in the name of profit.

Top Bottom