• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Visceral's Battlefield game has a police theme, is due later this year

Mumford

Wow, I'm really, REALLY disappointed EA is making BF annual. I mean, seriously?
EA has Battlefield, Titanfall, & Battlefront, as well as Medal of Honor if they ever wanted to try that again.
That's four competent franchises. There's no reason to be running Battlefield in to the ground. Damn it EA.

KDC720

Visceral is a great studio, but I'm upset that Battlefield is becoming a yearly franchise.

Bad Company 2 and BF 3 lasted me a long time, in fact I still haven't gotten around to playing 4 yet.

AHA-Lambda

And non-surprisingly will this sell less, partly because of the state bf4 launched in, and then EA will close Visceral... That's what's going to happen, right?

sounds about right.

yeah I'm not getting involved with a yearly battlefield, suck it EA.

dreamfall

Sheesh.

You'd think EA/Dice would take the time to polish and at least get BF4 right before letting another studio handle an annual iteration.

Maybe it'll be a Treyarch situation where their versions are better than Dice's.

AlStrong

*End Spoilers*

Li4A3N4.jpg

or

LJAFNr5.jpg

Cabal

Wow, I'm really, REALLY disappointed EA is making BF annual. I mean, seriously?
EA has Battlefield, Titanfall, & Battlefront, as well as Medal of Honor if they ever wanted to try that again.
That's four competent franchises. There's no reason to be running Battlefield in to the ground. Damn it EA.

They want that CoD money. I knew this was coming, it's just unfortunate because BF4 shipped with so many issues. That said, I still think it's an amazing game it just needed 6 months that it didn't have because of the new console launches, money, EA, etc. If they put enough resources behind the game, enough people and a ton of money to support that, then the time crunch is less of an issue. If it ships like BF4 did it could kill the franchise.

If EA wants it to be yearly, then they need to make sure these games are top notch. I really think BF4 could have been that game, but they shot themselves in the foot by releasing it half baked. For me personally, I like Battlefield quite a bit, I'll give it a shot, but burn me again and I'm probably done.

Edit: how is it I hit post and I'm immediately seeing donuts. Dammit GAF now I'm hungry...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Likely has Mantle support but I am assuming they're using the Battlefield Frostbite engine

Could be fun although it sounds like Counter Strike with vehicles and riot gear. Oh the good old days of driving the APC filled with CT's off a cliff
And now we know why CS does not have vehicles.

Odrion

Banned
They're still going to release a new Battlefield this year? Will the extreme work BF4 needs to fix it's billion issues?

I posted exactly two pics and I only have one more:

battlefield_bc3.jpg

Like it or not with the rising tension over incidences of police brutality AND escalating economic inequity, this just seems like a bad match for a gameplay experience in which you pretty much apply as much deadly force as possible, as quickly as possible.

I don't believe all police are bad or commit abuse of their power. I just believe a game in this area has huge potential to be culturally tone deaf to issues that are a lot closer to home for some Americans (pictured).

i didnt know there was any rising tension over police incidences. Maybe more spot light put to them with the internet. But theres been plenty of incidences with cops doing dumb shit through out my life. I dont see how cops matter with the huge problem of americas economic inequity though.. I mean they do their job and if people become poor and start stealing shit its cops job to stop them.

But as far as the game not addressing these issues.. well id be amazed if it did, but i dont think it needs to do that either. Just dont see how talking shit about people doing their job is in any way helping

Dysun

I enjoyed Dead Space 1 and 2 a great deal. 3 sucked, but we'll see about this.

Not the studio I had imagined making Battlefield spin-offs a year or two ago, that's for sure.

Acorn

I'm pissed at Dice(their QA has been getting progressively worse with every release since bf2)but I'm still disappointed another dev will be making BF games.

Visceral haven't impressed me since Dead Space 1 either.

Blueblur1

So a new Battlefield from DICE every second year and one from Visceral in between?

So this is how it ends. Notlikethis.gif

Yeah man, it's a fucking bummer to being seeing those studios toiling away on only Battlefield. I want to see Visceral making cool shit especially. Not more Battlefield.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
But as far as the game not addressing these issues.. well id be amazed if it did, but i dont think it needs to do that either.

Black Ops 2 went into some interesting areas regarding its Cortis Die uprising. In the original ending I got, the uprising overthrew the government. (!).

If they're going to tackle militarized police as a gameplay motif, I'd prefer that they show a bit more awareness of current events (Kelly Thomas beating, Suspect Challenges NSA-Acquired Evidence, Police Response Pics To Occupy Wall Street) within that motif than, say, you have.

Just dont see how talking shit about people doing their job is in any way helping

Look, man. I'm not the first person to ever express that Call of Duty has pretty much become a "brown-person shooting simulator," and yes I will borrow the phrase from Arthur Giese. I don't consider it an improvement that ANY future military shooters shift their faceless horde of target-people over to our own unwashed masses.

Lots of cops do a great job. I'm not expecting a fucking Battlefield game to really reflect the reality of what doing that job well looks like. It will, essentially, reflect the reality of what a soldier's job looks like, and further confuse the important distinctions between the two.

Because the S.S. was a police force to start with too, and they were "just doing their jobs," too.

dcelw540

could be interesting if done right. Could the possible announcement come out at the end of February like Battlefield 4?

This could be interesting.

A Rainbow Six style that sees you as part of a small police/swat team invading drug factories etc. A much more methodical game.

iMax

would be a shame if nothing came of it, all that work for nothing. It looked really interesting, if i had know about it i would definitely backed it

Yeah, hopefully Havana takes some cues from it. It looked like it would be something different, for once, which was cool.

komorebi

Can I ask why? Apart from the obvious "diluting the marketplace" garbage? If the games are still getting a decent (1.5-2 yr) development cycle then I don't really see a problem personally.

That's exactly why. That's not a "garbage" reason, despite whatever personal opinion you might have of endlessly buying sub-par games. Its a legitimate complaint and this is the final nail in the coffin. Battlefield has already been going downhill but this is the end. Not of the series, not of the millions of obsessive types who must populate the latest iteration of a FPS series each year. Its a different sort of end which should be obvious to anyone who's taken a look at Call of Duty since 2007.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well this explains the Criterion rumor.

And also why Ben Cousins called it a crime themed Battlefield.

Curious to see how it turns out as it's at least not 100% the same.

TyrantII

This isn't going to work without seriously cutting back the scope and the difference between iterations of the franchise. And they're already having problems on the 2 year cycle, and they're going to commit more resources to one every year?

Yeah, BF was the last game EA ever saw money from me. No more.

Used or nothing at all if its published by EA.

Hip Hop

Eh,

I don't see a problem with this.

Battlefield has been in a 2 year development period since Bad Company 1.

The more, the better for me. Plus, it's two different settings, two different developers.

Bring them on.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As a side note if you're curious about what Visceral has done on Battlefield so far, they built End Game and codeveloped Battlefield 4.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
This is going to glorify police brutality and power, just like COD did with the US army, and justify it. mmm I can smell the terrorism.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/call-of-duty-piece/

Huy guy. These are just games about people doing their jobs.

Think of it as Left 4 Dead, only the dirty people rushing you aren't dead yet, but just kind of uneducated and angry about things.

The potential for a different approach for how to resolve things is roughly the same, right?

boeso

Huy guy. These are just games about people doing their jobs.

Think of it as Left 4 Dead, only the dirty people rushing you aren't dead yet, but just kind of uneducated and angry about things.

The potential for a different approach for how to resolve things is roughly the same, right?

I have no idea if you're agreeing with me, disagreeing or being sarcastic lol..

In the UK, the Police have just requested the use of water cannons in anticipation of riots in London due to cuts in public spending. Yeah they are doing their job, but...

Top Bottom