• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: Nintendo Publishing Devil's Third in the Americas, Valhalla Game Studios on PC

Excellent! Though, Q4? Hopefully that doesn't mean any later than early September*

*and by September, I mean October. Because surely I have a solid grasp on quarters. But hopefully it'll come earlier anyways

RK128

So, not only is Nintendo still publishing this, but the game is also landing on PC too?! I guess this is a Street Fighter V (PS4/PC), Dead Rising 3 (X1/PC) and Rise Son of Rome (X1/PC) situation; a game that is exclusive to one specific console, but also has a home on PC as well.

Considering the reported frame rate issues in the Wii U version, a PC version should fix those problems (if its a good port).

Interested in seeing PC footage when the game launches latter this year :).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
CKZnrnJUEAETxx_.jpg

Do not believe his lies

Lol now people actually want to play this shit just because it's available on PC, hilarious

Well, it's also FREE on PC. At least to start. So it's $60 to try the Wii U version, or free on PC. Not a hard choice to make

Plus even in the reaction threads people were lamenting that the multiplayer stuff sounded awesome, but the population was never going to be high enough to really enjoy it. Making it F2P and on the PC solves that problem right there

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I wouldn't really call it a Nintendo game on PC.
Valhalla owns the rights to the IP after THQ went under. Nintendo merely gave them money to make it. Valhalla can do what they want afterwards, including a F2P multiplayer-only PC version.

I'd be more worried if we started seeing Smash or Zelda on PC.

Lol now people actually want to play this shit just because it's available on PC, hilarious

PC players are a bizarre bunch...

I wonder how many people in this thread excited for the PC port haven't read the OP and think the entire game is coming to PC and not just the multiplayer.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm not sure that would have been the case. The cost to Xseed would have been low, and Xseed has published lots of stinkers before so it's not like they have a credible "hurt the brand" argument. It is sort of a weird fit for them (like it's a weird fit for Nintendo), but I have to imagine if this is how things unfolded, that this would be the product of Nintendo wanting to publish it, not XSeed declining to. Just IMHO.

What else would explain the confusion over the past few weeks about it? Xseed didn't get out there and say they were bringing it out during that time. Maybe Xseed thought the game was bad and didn't want to cover server costs for the Multiplayer?

greg400

Banned
Well, it's also FREE on PC. At least to start. So it's $60 to try the Wii U version, or free on PC. Not a hard choice to make

Plus even in the reaction threads people were lamenting that the multiplayer stuff sounded awesome, but the population was never going to be high enough to really enjoy it. Making it F2P and on the PC solves that problem right there

It's free.
F2p multiplayer so why not give it a try?

Still funny, people were literally shitting all over this game saying it should be $10 eshop game at the most. I don't know, there are tons of free to play games already available on PC that are likely much better than this will be.

Scoops

Banned
I wouldn't really call it a Nintendo game on PC.
Valhalla owns the rights to the IP after THQ went under. Nintendo merely gave them money to make it. Valhalla can do what they want afterwards, including a F2P multiplayer-only PC version.

That's not how it works. You could never see W101 or Bayo2 on other platforms despite the fact Nintendo doesn't own the IP.

Nintendo must have explicitly granted the PC version, or Vallhalla had a favorable contract from the get go.

Edit - It says right in the press release:

"By prior agreement with Nintendo, Valhalla has developed the free-to-play PC
exclusive online game “Devil’s Third Online.”

Nintendo okayed it, not because the IP is owned by Valhalla.

Also:

"To spread “Devil’s Third” around the world,
this game service will run from September 2015 onwards, in various regions around the
world following the release of the Wii U version in each region."

Timed WiiU exclusive.

Edit #2- apparently W101 is owned by Nintendo. My point still stands with Bayo 2.

BatDan

That's not how it works. You could never see W101 or Bayo2 on other platforms despite the fact Nintendo doesn't own the IP.

Except they own The Wonderful 101. I don't understand why nobody gets this.

Peff

Nintendo owns TW101 completely. Sega owns Bayonetta and they could theoretically release a Bayonetta 2 elsewhere, but it's not happening.

Did early impressions talk about the framerate in the multiplayer? Could fan made patches fix the frame rate for an online only f2p shooter? I'm not really sure how that works unless Valhalla picks up the fan patch and forces it on everyone.

Nintendo owns TW101 completely. Sega owns Bayonetta and they could theoretically release a Bayonetta 2 elsewhere, but it's not happening.

Depends upon the contract, Platinum is free to make Bayo 3 on any system it wants or partner with another system holder to make more Bayo games. I imagine Bayo 2 will stay a WiiU/Nintendo exclusive unless the contract was a timed exclusive thing.

I know SEGA can release Bayonetta 1 on PC if they want to because they own that game outright, but I thought Bayonetta 2 was trickier. Since SEGA still owns the IP but Nintendo fully funded development of that particular game

Itagaki is smart. He knows that PC gamers even created a fanbase for Daikatana. If Devil's Third is as terrible as everyone knows it is, there'll still be a little section of PC gamers who will keep the name alive.

Smart man.

BatDan

Did early impressions talk about the framerate in the multiplayer? Could fan made patches fix the frame rate for an online only f2p shooter? I'm not really sure how that works unless Valhalla picks up the fan patch and forces it on everyone.

The only impressions we've gotten have been about single player. It's likely servers aren't online yet.

I know SEGA can release Bayonetta 1 on PC if they want to because they own that game outright, but I thought Bayonetta 2 was trickier. Since SEGA still owns the IP but Nintendo fully funded development of that particular game

I think it's a co-ownership deal. Both Sega and Nintendo own the rights to Bayonetta 2. If Sega wanted to, they could make Bayonetta 3.
Platinum doesn't actually own any of the games they create.

Pretty smart, considering the multiplayer scene on Wii U will probably be dead a few days after launch.

PC multiplayer might remain healthy for at least two weeks!

I think it's a co-ownership deal. Both Sega and Nintendo own the rights to Bayonetta 2. If Sega wanted to, they could make Bayonetta 3.
Platinum doesn't actually own any of the games they create.

Yeah SEGA can make Bayonetta 3 whenever they want, I was talking about porting Bayonetta 2

Mr-Joker

Banned

Nintendo must have explicitly granted the PC version, or Vallhalla had a favorable contract from the get go.

The Wonderful 101 is 100% owned by Nintendo.

Game Freak are releasing a game on PC (and PS4, XB1) later today, BTW.

Game Freak isn't owned by Nintendo and can do whatever they want, barring releasing Pokémon games on other system.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo permanently owns the right for Bayonetta 2, since they funded it they should prevent it from leaving their system.

After all they own all the rights to the Project Zero games that got released on their system.

Somewhere, Unseen64 guy is crying in a corner staring at a picture of his source just wanting to kill him.

Why? We've had other sources mention the Xseed deal and that was probably the same one Unseen64 was hinting at in his video, he was also right on the date the embargo would break on the SP stuff. If anything NoA changing their mind and deciding to publish this themselves is probably a rather recent turn of events where as the info that came out after E3 was dated though accurate at one time.

Top Bottom