• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: Nintendo Publishing Devil's Third in the Americas, Valhalla Game Studios on PC

Eventually free-to-play on Wii U too? The press release uses the Nintendo term free-to-start for the PC version.

I've been saying for a while that DDevil's Third looks very easy to monetize as a free-to-play title.

I wonder with the free-to-play game Project Treasure (which has some striking similarities with its Japanese hack and slash combat along with first-person shooting) if Nintendo plans to eventually release a free-to-play version on Wii U as well. Otherwise why publish a game whose unique selling point on the platform is a single-player mode that reviewers have already said is dreadful.

Peff

I know SEGA can release Bayonetta 1 on PC if they want to because they own that game outright, but I thought Bayonetta 2 was trickier. Since SEGA still owns the IP but Nintendo fully funded development of that particular game

Well, that's it, given that they own the IP they could breach the contract, release it, and be forced to compensate Nintendo, but the hypothetical release would be legal, so to speak. The thing is, that requires a level of commitment to the series and confidence in its potential success current Sega would never in a million years have.

Nintendo allowing a first party game (or at least a portion of it) to be self-published on PC by the developer.

We live in crazy times, my friends!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yeah SEGA can make Bayonetta 3 whenever they want, I was talking about porting Bayonetta 2

Ah, porting Bayo 2 is never happening. Unless Nintendo allows it and that's a negative.
But Sega can do what they want with the first game, including a PC port. ...

They don't own Devil's Third.

Oh, I know. Which is why Valhalla can publish it on PC.

Still, it's pretty crazy, since they funded the remainder of the project and are publishing it themselves on Wii U. For all intents and purposes, it's a first party Nintendo game and this type of agreement isn't something we've seen from Nintendo in the past. At least, not that I can think of.

tebunker

Banned
Eventually free-to-play on Wii U too? The press release uses the Nintendo term free-to-start for the PC version.

I've been saying for a while that DDevil's Third looks very easy to monetize as a free-to-play title.

I wonder with the free-to-play game Project Treasure (which has some striking similarities with its Japanese hack and slash combat along with first-person shooting) if Nintendo plans to eventually release a free-to-play version on Wii U as well. Otherwise why publish a game whose unique selling point on the platform is a single-player mode that reviewers have already said is dreadful.

Yeah except that's all Namco-Bandai so we will probably see it on PC too.

I love all the people not understanding that Nintendo isn't publishing this on PC.

You have to think of Devil's Third and Devil's Third Online as two separate things. One is WiiU only and has singleplayer the other is a Free to Start MP shooter.

I think it is a brilliant strategy for Itagaki, and maybe the MP really does have legs after all.

VariantX

of all the games to do this with, you do it with devils third?? Not smash or splatoon huh? At least it will get some youtube fame if anything else.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
of all the games to do this with, you do it with devils third?? Not smash or splatoon huh? At least it will get some youtube fame if anything else.

To be fair, nobody's going to buy this game. They might as well write it off.
At least Smash and Splatoon have a big audience (in terms of Wii U)

Nope. It's right there in the Valhalla press release they were only able to make PC version with Nintendo permission. Them owning the IP had nothing to do with it.

Of course it took Nintendo's permission for them to do it. I'm not disputing that. Read my posts. If Nintendo had any ownership of the IP though, they probably wouldn't have allowed this to happen. Or maybe they would have, since they allowed Mistwalker to bring The Last Story IP to mobile.

I like this new era of Nintendo. They're probably letting Valhalla publish this on PC to help the team recoup some of their investment.

KingBroly

Banned

A - They're not publishing it on PC, Valhalla is

B - Nintendo doesn't own the IP rights to Devil's Third

C - Read the thread next time

greg400

Banned
They're not going to do it with a system seller.

Seriously, the difference here is they know this game is going to sell like trash because of how poor it is so they're probably just trying to salvage any money they can get back from it with it being free-to-play on pc.

SparkTR

I wonder if this is going to affect the price of the retail WiiU version. I understand that it has a SP mode, but is that apparently terrible looking addition going to justify the $60? Hell, they're selling it for $90USD where I live, insane.

shanafan

I am glad North America is seeing a release. Wii U needs more games, and this is a new game coming to it.

0e3.png

NateDrake

"Free-to-start."

What the hell is that? You need to pay if you want to keep playing?

It's Nintendo's term for F2P. Stretchmo was Free to Start on 3DS. The download is free and you got x-amount of puzzles. Any extra puzzles you want cost $X.XX.

Ozium

this was listed in steamdb months ago but people downplayed it and the SonyGAF mafia buried it because they are afraid of Itagaki's Will.

Scoops

Banned
Nintendo allowing a first party game (or at least a portion of it) to be self-published on PC by the developer.

We live in crazy times, my friends!

They don't own Devil's Third.

Oh, I know. Which is why Valhalla can publish it on PC.

Uhhh the above doesn't match up with the below, my friend.

Of course it took Nintendo's permission for them to do it. I'm not disputing that. Read my posts. If Nintendo had any ownership of the IP though, they probably wouldn't have allowed this to happen. Or maybe they would have, since they allowed Mistwalker to bring The Last Story IP to mobile.

Why? We've had other sources mention the Xseed deal and that was probably the same one Unseen64 was hinting at in his video, he was also right on the date the embargo would break on the SP stuff.

Embargo dates aren't hard to come by, seeing as dozens, if not hundreds of journalists have that info. But those journalists wouldn't likely be privy to publishing info, unless they had info from a source of their own.

Uhhh the above doesn't match up with the below, my friend.

Just FYI, a first-party release doesn't always equal IP ownership by the publisher. Sunset Overdrive, a first-party XB1 title, is a recent example. Although Nintendo is publishing the Wii U game, they don't own the IP, and since they have no intention of doing anything more with the franchise themselves, they're being flexible with Valhalla and allowing them to publish a portion of the title on PC.

In short, everything I've said matches up quite nicely. : )

SerTapTap

What an incredibly odd and inappropriate way to suddenly find out there's a PC version. Seriously what the shit is going on with the publishing side of this poor game.

Top Bottom