• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: Nintendo Publishing Devil's Third in the Americas, Valhalla Game Studios on PC

Have we reached a point where statements directly from creators still fall under the label of rumor? I wonder what course of action Itagaki would actually have to take to warrant the legitimacy of something he says regarding his game.

Have we reached a point where we are making up statements? Itakagi said it would come. Nothing more. No need to defend shady "sources".

Shiggy

This is interesting. So the recent NWR article was indeed right and the co-publishing agreement with XSEED got cancelled due to the fan outcry and against the initial better judgement of Treehouse/NoA.

People questioning that this agreement was ever in place seem to believe in some conspiracy where Silicone, Tamaki, NWR, several other sources, and even NEOGAF mods collaborated and made up news of an XSEED deal, even getting NoA involved and having them hide the game at E3. Time for some reality check, guys...

This is pretty much a first for Nintendo and shows that they take criticism on Miiverse and Twitter more seriously than anything.

I never thought I'd see a game funded by Nintendo on Steam. Hell has truly frozen over.

I'll probably give it a shot now. Hey, it's free.

Scoops

Banned
hard to believe that... if thats the case why not ship it Q3 does not take that long to print what will be limited number of copies. I think NOA will be demanding more polish to the game.... or so I hope.

I don't think NOA can do that. NOA is just a regional marketing arm. They don't have say in game development.

Shiggy

hard to believe that... if thats the case why not ship it Q3 does not take that long to print what will be limited number of copies. I think NOA will be demanding more polish to the game.... or so I hope.

NoA probably won't pour more money into this game. The late release in the US is more due to the cancelled XSEED deal than anything else.

This is interesting. So the recent NWR article was indeed right and the co-publishing agreement with XSEED got cancelled due to the fan outcry and against the initial better judgement of Treehouse/NoA.

This is pretty much a first for Nintendo and shows that they take criticism on Miiverse and Twitter more seriously than anything.

And the US landed on the moon after all the internet outcry about it being fake just to make it real.

I believe you are confusing cause and effect here.

navy

Banned

People questioning that this agreement was ever in place seem to believe in some conspiracy where Silicone, Tamaki, NWR, several other sources, and even NEOGAF mods collaborated and made up news of an XSEED deal, even getting NoA involved and having them hide the game at E3. Time for some reality check, guys...

Why is it easier to believe that Nintendo makes financial decisions based on miiverse and twitter as opposed to anonymous non fact checked sources being wrong?

Shiggy

Why is it easier to believe that Nintendo makes financial decisions based on miiverse and twitter as opposed to anonymous non fact checked sources being wrong?

I actually know some of those sources and they are legit. And I very much doubt that NeoGaf mods or former mods in this thread, who say this was a done deal, are spilling bullshit.

navy

Banned
I actually know some of those sources and they are legit. And I very much doubt that NeoGaf mods or former mods in this thread, who say this was a done deal, are spilling bullshit.

Legit based on what? Is it hard to believe that they all got wrong info from the same source and it spread between them?

A done deal? Done deal only to be reneged by miiverse? Nah.

xaszatm

Banned

Well, in this particular case, it's more muddled than that but in general, it's because we like to believe we are more important to the video game industry than we actually are. We like to believe our voices are the most important to the success of a video game that we have a biased lens on any news or rumor we see.

Also, I do think it's important to remember how insular gaming communities are as a whole. Rumors can fly so fast and be picked up by every gaming website long before any confirmation or denial of the rumor can be made, which again can lead to lens bias seeping in.

Shiggy

Legit based on what? Is it hard to believe that they all got wrong info from the same source and it spread between them?

A done deal? Done deal only to be reneged by miiverse? Nah.

Seeing as the I know that the info was separately confirmed by one guy at Treehouse and another person from another part of NoA, there must have been a company-wide disinformation campaign. This becomes increasingly evident if you take into account how many websites reported about it independently, with even NeoGAF mods saying it would happen.

I cannot say for sure whether it was the public outcry that got this canned, but the timing appears to be right. Especially with quality concerns and marketability being initial reasons to seek a deal with XSEED.

I'm hoping that after two months when Nintendo has gotten the vast majority of any sales at full price they release a free-to-play version on Wii U as well. TThy already have another 3rd party online Free-to-Play game with Project Treasure. I'll love to have a player-base for this game.

Seeing as the I know that the info was separately confirmed by one guy at Treehouse and another person from another part of NoA, there must have been a company-wide disinformation campaign. This becomes increasingly evident if you take into account how many websites reported about it independently, with even NeoGAF mods saying it would happen.

I cannot say for sure whether it was the public outcry that got this canned, but the timing appears to be right. Especially with quality concerns and marketability being initial reasons to seek a deal with XSEED.

Please show us those confirmations from inside NOA.

Shiggy

Do we have any, any official statement? Other than: Devils third? Yeah thats coming - what´s the fuss about?

Do you think Nintendo will come out and confirm this publicly? Lol. That doesn't mean that unnamed sources are wrong. If you don't believe gaming media, OK. But you also think that NEOGAF mods lie about it?

The PC thing isn't that surprising to me (easy way to help salvage the money they've already spent). I am surprised about Nintendo publishing it. I had heard earlier in the year that XSeed was picking up western publishing, well before any of the published information that that effect. I took the latter as confirmation of what I had already heard. I wonder if the subsequent correction that Nintendo weren't going to publish the game but opted to later is accurate.

Reminds me of Eternal Darkness 2. People were saying it wasn't happening because there was no official statement. But well, a year later we knew it was in development (and canned) ...

Here's the thing. I absolutely believe there was a deal with Xseed until relatively recently. But I can't believe Nintendo changed there mind from the small fan outcry. Even in the thread where the rumor first came up they weren't publishing a ton of posters didn't care and thought bit just looked bad. Also most were happy with any physical release regardless of publisher.

I can't imagine the super conservative Nintendo of America. A company that hasn't even bothered to reprint Pikmin and who had Xseed publish two Rainfall games would care about some outcry over a game they knew would get savaged in the reviews. This isn't Fatal Frame. It's a game with a probable 50 metacritic score.

Shauni

Well, sorry to say, but unless you can give something really solid here it's hard to gauge what you're saying as correct or not. It really only takes one piece of misinformation to spread to multiple sources. It doesn't matter if a lot of places are reporting on something, especially if they're all feeding off the same incorrect information.

EDIT: And I'll also add that I really don't know what being a mod here has to do with anything. Is there some policy that all NeoGAF mods are gaming industries insiders or something? Or are the mods you're referencing specifically known as insiders? I don't get why you're bringing that part up.

jholmes

Oh, Kotaku's on the case, not bothering to explain they aren't the same versions of the game.

Presumably Polygon's Twitter account is readying something about Tomonabu Itagaki's new game, complete with a photo of Shigeru Miyamoto.

Scoops

Banned

Twitter people, blogs and message board mods. I'm sure all held to the highest journalistic standards.

Their statements aren't always baseless, it's just not safe to always assume they're right.

Well, sorry to say, but unless you can give something really solid here it's hard to gauge what you're saying as correct or not. It really only takes one piece of misinformation to spread to multiple sources. It doesn't matter if a lot of places are reporting on something, especially if they're all feeding off the same incorrect information.

And yep 100%.

But anyway this is off topic so I'm done discussing it.

Effect

I never thought I'd see a game funded by Nintendo on Steam. Hell has truly frozen over.

I'll probably give it a shot now. Hey, it's free.

Why do people keep saying this?. They're publishing the game. The game was largely done when they picked it up. They didn't pay to have this game created. It's been in development for years before Nintendo enter the picture.

Kusagari

I feel like this whole thing shows that some of Nintendo did take the Xenoblade backlash to heart.

Just lol that it ended up being this game of all things. And I say that as someone who is going to buy it.

Do you think Nintendo will come out and confirm this publicly? Lol. That doesn't mean that unnamed sources are wrong. If you don't believe gaming media, OK. But you also think that NEOGAF mods lie about it?

Reminds me of Eternal Darkness 2. People were saying it wasn't happening because there was no official statement. But well, a year later we knew it was in development (and canned) ...

So we´re back to: "The US landed on the moon because of the Internet outrage calling it a fake"?

For a year... Yet people still went in denial or calling names just for about this being called a bad game.

Lets not pretend there were no people defending this game.

The latest word is that the game actually looks good in some places, is fun, well balanced with good boss battles.

Why do people keep saying this?. They're publishing the game. The game was largely done when they picked it up. They did pay to have this game created. It's been in development for years before Nintendo enter the picture.

What part of my post contradicts anything you just said, exactly? I'm confused.

AFAIK, this game was definitely not finished when Nintendo picked it up. It was shown off at E3 a year ago, and still hasn't been released. What was the development team doing in that entire year's time? Twiddling their thumbs?

jmizzal

"
Tomonobu Itagaki
1 hr · Edited ·
[ Announcement ]
Guys, we will release very important information for you tomorrow.
I can't answer about it at all for now.
That's news will relax you guys, thank you for understanding"'

From His Facebook, I wonder what that will be

Discomurf

Woah so much WTF surrounding this game. Makes one want to pick it up out of curiosity... maybe this was their marketing plan all along :)

Are either of them your uncle???

Tohsaka

NoA decided to release all their Wii U games in Q4, for whatever reason. Yoshi came out last month in Europe, but we're not getting it until October.

NoA decided to release all their Wii U games in Q4, for whatever reason. Yoshi came out last month in Europe, but we're not getting it until October.

Is North America going to get three First-Party releases in both October and November? No one could've saw that coming.

Can it be?
by-the-time-nintendo-nx-launches-wii-u-and-3ds-will-have-lived-long-lives-1115760.jpg

Naaah

So Devil's Third will be the WiiU's big November game as Nintendo quietly delays Star Fox Zero?

I'd be ok with Star Fox getting delayed. It's not like we don't have...

Fatal Frame
Yoshi's Woolly World
Mario Maker
Mario Tennis
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade X
and The Devil's Third for the last four months of the year.

Broritos

This fucking game.

I've been on Devil's Third rollercoaster since day 1. How can I sleep when this ride will never stop?

I don't wana close my eyes. I don't wana fall asleep cuz I miss you Itagaki and I don't wana miss a thing.

Is North America going to get three First-Party releases in both October and November? No one could've saw that coming.

as it stands right now

September - Super Mario Maker, Animal Crossing Happy home designer

October - Yoshi Wooly world, Chibi robo zip lash

Holiday 2015 - Zelda triforce heroes, Star fox Zero, Pokemon super mystery dungeon, Animal crossing amiibo festival, Fatal Frame 5, Mario tennis ultra smash, xenoblade chronicles x

i have a feeling something is getting delayed to the jan, feb slot and i got a strong feeling it will be mario tennis and one of the 3ds games.

Sandfox

as it stands right now

September - Super Mario Maker, Animal Crossing Happy home designer

October - Yoshi Wooly world, Chibi robo zip lash

Holiday 2015 - Zelda triforce heroes, Star fox Zero, Pokemon super mystery dungeon, Animal crossing amiibo festival, Fatal Frame 5, Mario tennis ultra smash, xenoblade chronicles x

i have a feeling something is getting delayed to the jan, feb slot and i got a strong feeling it will be mario tennis and one of the 3ds games.

I'm expecting Fatal Frame to hit in October for obvious reasons.

Top Bottom