• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: Nintendo Publishing Devil's Third in the Americas, Valhalla Game Studios on PC

crinale

Well if the whole thing was designed with PC F2P version in mind then that kinda explains why game has performance issues (as reviewers say).

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Eventually free-to-play on Wii U too? The press release uses the Nintendo term free-to-start for the PC version.

I've been saying for a while that DDevil's Third looks very easy to monetize as a free-to-play title.

I wonder with the free-to-play game Project Treasure (which has some striking similarities with its Japanese hack and slash combat along with first-person shooting) if Nintendo plans to eventually release a free-to-play version on Wii U as well. Otherwise why publish a game whose unique selling point on the platform is a single-player mode that reviewers have already said is dreadful.

No.

Free-to-start means that it is free but probably has buy on extras.
Well if the whole thing was designed with PC F2P version in mind then that kinda explains why game has performance issues (as reviewers say).

No it doesn't. There are plenty of great F2P PC games. Itagaki and Valhalla are just washed up and poor developers.

NateDrake

At least the game had a lot of publicity over the last few weeks. It may have been negative but it got people talking the game more than ever!

collige

Banned
I'm moderately hype for a PC version, but being F2P is a terrible idea imo. There will no doubt be some shitty P2W elements and the game will end up dead like Gunz 2 is.

Converse

Banned
Devil's Third has become the daytime trailer trash talk show of the video game world. I can't stop watching it, even though I probably shouldn't.

Foolishly, the fact that the PC version is multiplayer only makes me more curious to hear multiplayer impressions for the European Wii U version.

bingo!
they took nintendo's money and spent it all on the f2p multiplayer, going by all the footage we've seen the multiplayer clearly looks like the only redeeming feature.
At least the wii u version includes multiplayer but it's starting to make sense why NOA were pissed, they must have known about the f2p pc multiplayer and realised all their money went on that and none on the single player.
Nintendo really got screwed i think.

Pokemaniac

Yeah, at this point, I would be surprised if Fatal Frame was actually digital-only. I think people just jumped the gun on that assumption.

This was confirmed to be baseless speculation. It was shown that Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, a game we know for sure is getting a retail release, was listed the same way.

Astral Dog

lol, but seriously this is a smart way to recoup some costs, maybe even a pity token by Nintendo to Vakhalla.

I just fear for Fatal Frame, Xenoblade and SMT x FE, which of these is going to be eshop only? not released on NA? moved?

Shauni

bingo!
they took nintendo's money and spent it all on the f2p multiplayer, going by all the footage we've seen the multiplayer clearly looks like the only redeeming feature.
At least the wii u version includes multiplayer but it's starting to make sense why NOA were pissed, they must have known about the f2p pc multiplayer and realised all their money went on that and none on the single player.
Nintendo really got screwed i think.

You realize how little sense this makes, right?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wait PC? Were there any hints of that before or is this out of nowhere?

It's out of nowhere. They announced PS360 years ago, then Nintendo. Now Nintendo and PC.

I'll buy it on PC, just to see how bad it really is. Thanks for funding it, Nintendo. <3

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
lol, but seriously this is a smart way to recoup some costs, maybe even a pity token by Nintendo to Vakhalla.

I just fear for Fatal Frame, Xenoblade and SMT x FE, which of these is going to be eshop only? not released on NA? moved?

The only one that's speculated to be eShop only is Fatal Frame. The other two look to be retail releases. Xenoblade X has a retail boxart in the wild!
I don't even know why that's speculation.

Shauni

I don't know where all this eShop-only stuff is coming from. For real, why are we expecting this will any titles? That they'll bomb? Sure, but that didn't stop them from retail releasing games like Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2? Seriously, it's weird, I don't get why anyone thinks this.

And all three of those games were shown at E3. They are getting a NA release. Xenoblade even got an actual date.

Effect

Oh, I know. Which is why Valhalla can publish it on PC.

Still, it's pretty crazy, since they funded the remainder of the project and are publishing it themselves on Wii U. For all intents and purposes, it's a first party Nintendo game and this type of agreement isn't something we've seen from Nintendo in the past. At least, not that I can think of.

We really don't now how much money Nintendo put into Devil's Third. It's likely very little given the state of the game and that they likely didn't have enough control to stop or fix some of the issues the game reportedly has. If Nintendo had put a significant amount of money into Devil's Third I have no doubt the game wouldn't have the issues it has. Nintendo would have taken more control of the development.

navy

Banned
This. That Project HAMMER story was probably at least half made up.

I dont think so. It's important to remember that we only supposedly heard 1 side of the story. whoever it was that blabbed probably felt the american Japanese tension was a huge factor.

The Devils third stuff though? I think that they all got wrong info from the same guy

The game is shitty and most Reviewers trashed it but could not say because embargo.

What a scoop! /s

So yeah, basically what everyone is saying for a year now. We should all become "trusted sources". Fact is there was nothing but clickbait rumors. Then there were rumor denying rumors. Then we had people believe the status quo was only unchangend because rumors of rumors of rumors. So in the end.. nothing changed. Game is still shitty but we somehow had 2 weeks of news over.. nothing. Just some people in need for clicks. And the usual suspects making a noise to be "lol nintendo" for another 5 minutes on the internet,

dyergram

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Neogaf instinct tells me we need a petition for what I'm not sure, but we definately need a petition...

What a scoop! /s

So yeah, basically what everyone is saying for a year now. We should all become "trusted sources". Fact is there was nothing but clickbait rumors. Then there were rumor denying rumors. Then we had people believe the status quo was only unchangend because rumors of rumors of rumors. So in the end.. nothing changed. Game is still shitty but we somehow had 2 weeks of news over.. nothing. Just some people in need for clicks. And the usual suspects making a noise to be "lol nintendo" for another 5 minutes on the internet,

For a year... Yet people still went in denial or calling names just for about this being called a bad game.

Lets not pretend there were no people defending this game.

For a year... Yet people still went in denial or calling names just for about this being called a bad game.

Lets not pretend there were no people defending this game.

There are people defending Knack. So what.
Everyone was saying this is hot garbage. Only treehouse made them say mp actually could be fun... like as in the same thing we read now. I should make a rumour about it.

jediyoshi

None of those are credible.

Gamers need to stop legitimizing these rando blogs and twitter accounts that make crap up/speculate.

People tell me these credible blogs so I can laugh at the absurdity of what you're doing.

Or mention how often you visit GAF to somehow have had Siliconera and Unseen64 be under your radar.

So Japan and Europe gets the game in Aug
PC gets the game in Sept
And NA gets the game sometime from Oct to Dec
smh NOA strikes again with their BS

tumblr_m4n6tkmLjA1qa748ko1_400.jpg

So Japan and Europe gets the game in Aug
PC gets the game in Sept
And NA gets the game sometime from Oct to Dec
smh NOA strikes again with their BS

Actually that Press Release says the game is supposed to come out after the Wii U version in every region. Meaning the North American version doesn't come out until after the Wii U version does. It even talks about local publishers for different regions.

jholmes

The Valhalla PR makes it sound like the agreement was always to allow the multiplayer to go F2P on PC which sorta explains why Nintendo would want to drop it if it was shit since it wasn't even exclusive shit.

Still, if Nintendo decided to bring this out retail because I was angry I wasn't getting it, let me tell you Nintendo I am FURIOUS about Fatal Frame not getting a retail release.

Also Mario Vs. Donkey Kong.

None of those are credible.

Gamers need to stop legitimizing these rando blogs and twitter accounts that make crap up/speculate.

Off topic but yes.

jediyoshi

What a scoop! /s

Have we reached a point where statements directly from creators still fall under the label of rumor? I wonder what course of action Itagaki would actually have to take to warrant the legitimacy of something he says regarding his game.

catmario

Without considering of this game's quality, releasing this game by NOA is fine as Devil's third is safe and they take responsibility for this game. Just this game's reputation and delayed release date are only matter.
Just good luck to Valhalla and NOA... Actually, I didn't want to buy this game when the reputation of this game go to terrible, but I changed my mind though.

Top Bottom