• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cars has sold more than 1 million copies in its first month

Three

Again, you are talking about games that come from genres that are far more popular than sim racing. All of the titles you mentioned got (or get) a lot of buzz before and after they release due to them being part of genres that are very popular. Sim racing isn't on that level -- especially in the territory that the Xbox One is actually doing well in.

And I mentioned user base many times. Not sure why some of you are replying like I never said (or agreed) with that. Racing games are still very popular in Europe and the PS4 is doing much better than the XB1 in that territory. I simply also feel that the PS4 not many having racing games similar to Project Cars in its library yet helped with its sales too.

What you are suggesting is simply not logical. The genre is as popular as fighting games or did you miss the fact that GT is the best selling game on PS3 outside of COD and GTA? Why exactly do you think it's a special genre? It also makes no sense because the popularity of the genre would have no effect on those not buying Pcars in favour of Forza, they simply would not buy any of them if the genre is the reason they are not buying it. Forza should help the genre on the system not make it even less popular. So what about fighting games? The PS4 has more fighters than the xb1 yet MKX sold disproportionately more on PS4 too, surely this reasoning would work in reverse too.

The 15.5 drivers improved things massively for me, so now's as good a time as any for AMD users.
That's good to hear.

Those PS4 owners need their fix while they're waiting for GT7 to drop. Simple explanation!

It was my reason to get it. Honestly I only have it because my fat 60GB PS3 crashes while playing GT6... * shrugs *

It's a good game with some problems to iron out (like the atrocious AI), and it scratches that "sim itch" that Driveclub doesn't. It's a good enough game to hold on to until then.

Gestault

I don't understand the defensiveness toward the idea that a relatively new platform that didn't have a genre represented could see a bump in a release's visibility if it was the first of its kind. More so if that platform's audience has shown strong interest in the genre previously.

The biggest factor is likely the install base, but this isn't mutually exclusive with the other idea.

Dilly

Banned
I heard people in PCARS thread calling GT/Forza a simcade, got a chuckle out of me.

That's because the simracing community is full of elitists, which is very annoying and toxic to the genre itself.

The shit SMS got for just developing this game from said people was embarassing.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Also, PC expected sales were around 225K copies. They will make it for sure. And they said that profit per unit was almost double on PC due to console royalties.

Do you have any proof to back that up?

I wonder if you're the same guy I saw claim the console versions of PC were selling poorly, while the PC version was doing ok a couple weeks back?

Momentary

Banned
This game was going to be the best driving simulator. It has ended being a semisim like Forza with poorly performance and ten times less content.

Assetto Corsa is by far a better sim, with better sales and without making so much noise.

Also, PC expected sales were around 225K copies. They will make it for sure. And they said that profit per unit was almost double on PC due to console royalties.

After this game goes on a summer or winter sale, it's going to be WELL over 225K copies.

Sevenfold

Great numbers. There's a real thirst for racing games recently and I've yet to find the one for me, but I'm glad there's this sort of market for racers.

DieH@rd

Banned
How much do the investors that backed the game get?

That's not for public discussion, and anyway, profit sharing to backers [well... investors] will be done on quarterly basis. We have to wait few months before money starts flowing from developers to backers.

shandy706

Not bad.

A little over 2% of PS4's user base and 2% of X1's userbase. I'm surprised the PS4 crowd didn't buy it a higher rate (due to the "sim" lack).

Three

I don't understand the defensiveness toward the idea that a relatively new platform that didn't have a genre represented could see a bump in a release's visibility if it was the first of its kind. More so if that platform's audience has shown strong interest in the genre previously.

The biggest factor is likely the install base, but this isn't mutually exclusive with the other idea.

It's not defensiveness (what exactly would one be defending?). It's just people disagreeing with the reasoning because it's based on nothing. When Halo came out did people buy more COD on PS3 than 360? If anything the genre established a base. People liked that genre and bought more games similar to it. You could just as easily argue that the platforms audience wanting that genre would actually be less if a system launched without such a game because they would not have bought that system and would have been attracted to the other which has it. You are talking about a game that came out almost 2 years ago affecting sales of a game in a similar genre. Surely The sim fans would have bought the system with a sim racer, played the game that is over 18 months old and would be looking for something else new in the genre. I mean even Bloodborne gets called a niche title yet I see nobody trying to convince anyone that it affected Dark Souls 2 sales on PS4 because it didn't. If anything the genre becomes more popular on the platform that has had known games in that genre in the past. The defensiveness actually comes from those who try and make an excuse as to why it sold less.

Gestault

It's not defensiveness (what exactly would one be defending?). It's just people disagreeing with the reasoning because it's based on nothing. When Halo came out did people buy more COD on PS3 than 360? If anything the genre established a base. People liked that genre and bought more games similar to it. You could just as easily argue that the platforms audience wanting that genre would actually be less if a system launched without such a game because they would not have bought that system and would have been attracted to the other which has it. You are talking about a game that came out almost 2 years ago affecting sales of a game in a similar genre. Surely The sim fans would have bought the system with a sim racer, played the game that is over 18 months old and would be looking for something else new in the genre. I mean even Bloodborne gets called a niche title yet I see nobody trying to convince anyone that it affected Dark Souls 2 sales on PS4 because it didn't. If anything the genre becomes more popular on the platform that has had known games in that genre in the past. The defensiveness actually comes from those who try and make an excuse as to why it sold less.

If the three sentences I wrote don't make sense to you, that's fine.

Three

If the three sentences I wrote don't make sense to you, that's fine.

They make perfect sense but I clearly don't agree with it since a lack of a genre on a system would just as likely hurt it as it does help it since fans of that genre would not buy the system and have an established base on the other.

Purest 78

The narrative doesn't make sense to me When most Games the split favored Ps4 heavily.

_machine

I wonder if you're the same guy I saw claim the console versions of PC were selling poorly, while the PC version was doing ok a couple weeks back?
The source is not public (it's on WMD forums) and it's not an official target, but I can vouch it being in the ballpark, though they never disclosed the median price the copies would be sold at since it shouldn't be hard to break with enough time and sales. So yeah, the PC version is doing well, but like for most titles the PS4 will take the largest share.

p3tran

Banned
The narrative doesn't make sense to me When most Games the split favored Ps4 heavily.

well, let me give you an example:

imagine that -right now- inside your PS4 you have already installed GRAN TURISMO 7,
and GRAN TURISMO HORIZON, and in a week Kaz himself is gonna jump onstage and show you GRAN TURISMO 8.
and you also got nextgen need for speed coming.

imagine that for a minute if it still does not make sense, write back and I will think of another example... ;)

thelastword

Banned
AS ALWAYS, THIS DATA IS FALSE AND ISN'T COMING FROM BETHESDA.

Jesus!! How many times do we need to tell you that? This is unofficial, made-up data. Stop posting false data. Stop passing off false data as reliable data. Stop basing arguments on false data.

I don't wanna do backseat modding, but this is a bannable offense in my book.
Ha ha, you're something else. As always, this data is false? do you live in some alternate reality? Nearly every other source that I can link will support the data I linked initially and are in the same ballpark. Here's another.

Others;

So the data I posted is in line with a confirmation from Bethesda, but it's not to be trusted.... but steam stats can be trusted I'm sure. Those are from Bethesda I'm thinking. The worse thing about it, is how dramatic you are when being wrong, better take it easy man.

Thats his point. We know skyrim sold over 8 million copies in pc so that data you posted is incorrect.

But keep on being salty oh noble console warrior!
Your fellow pc poster said that stats other from Bethesda don't count, yet I'm sure he is in agreement with the steam spy data.....In any case, I never even debated against the 8 million, I just showed that like Project Cars, Skyrim sold more on consoles.

Steam Spy isn't indicative of all PC sales for Skyrim, but according to its numbers:

http://steamspy.com/app/72850
Owners: 8,895,721 ± 78,329

And that is not even reliable, given the free weekend specials.
Do you believe Skyrim sold even more than that...?. TBH, I don't trust steam spy at all. I have never seen such a huge disparity between people owning a game and people actually playing them. Ask yourself some questions here, even online only games show a huge divide. Do people just buy games not to play them?

Regardless, I don't even have a problem with allowing these figures to slide, consoles still sold more than PC even then. Despite all type of stats like 300 million steam accounts or the massive pc installbase and the like.

And? This is business not some charity, EA, 2K, Zenimax, even most of the Japanese publishers are releasing nearly all their games on PC, I don't care the sales disparity between the platform, bottom line is PC sells, it sells enough for all those mega publishers to keep supporting the platform after all these years with AAA title after AAA title, because they're making money off of it.
Yes, business is business and It doesn't always work out like how you've described, that's why you have so many PC devs salivating at what the consoles are returning them and are making public statements about it. They've noticed how their sales and profits have been boosted 3-5x times and they're overjoyed, they've never been that succesful.

Just reference a recent release in Witcher 3 and notice the statements they made relative to consoles, Witcher 3 would not have been possible without consoles. Think about that for a minute and try to understand why they would make such a statement. It's because it's not all candy on PC, especially as some try to pass it as being.

Sijil said:
Arguably that 160K Project Cars sold on PC made more money per unit sold that on PS4 per unit sold, by a large margin. If the devs are happy who am I to argue otherwise.
Now, this one placed me off guard, never saw that one coming.....Sooo.... uhhh!....160k @ 60.00 makes more money for Beth than 500k+ at $60.00. Is that money you use on PC special, are they diamonds per chance? (60 diamonds per copy). Funny, that you even qualify it by saying, it does so by a "HUGE MARGIN"....so it's a forgone conclusion then. I'd love to hear you make that argument though, so by all means, humor me.

Talking about disingenuous, funny that some of the PC fans won't even correct you about it, but it's par for the course really.

Sijil said:
And as for Skyrim, kind of bullshit ganging up two platforms figures (360 and PS3) against PC, 20 million sold worldwide and PC sold 8 million, that's 1/3 of total sales on 1 platform, kind of even then.
When CDPR said consoles made it possible for them for W3. I don't think the XB1 was excluded. When persons say PC sold 8 million copies of Skyrim, (not official btw), there's no concern whether the owner of that PC can even run the game, but I digress. In any case, I don't see a 750ti and a 970 or 980 as a different platform, do you? The closed boxes are all a unique platform (consoles), just as all those pc's are all, well (PC). I'll also let you know that there are millions of them out there too, much more than these two current consoles put together or even the consoles from last gen.

Sijil said:
You mention BF Hardline, are PC Gamers compelled to support and buy a game they have no interest in? For reference here are the BF4 stats http://bf4stats.com/, PC is peaking second highest played platform, beating the X1. It's a matter of the game having appeal for PC Gamers and Hardline doesn't apparently.
Apparently so, because the steam stats show a huge disparity in game owners relative to those who actually play these games on PC.

It's convenient how you want to skew the stats to suit you. I've heard many arguments of all those steam accounts that exist and all those people who have mid-high end cards when it's a convenient argument, but now it's pleasing that you remove the PS4 from the equation and only concentrate on the XB1. If you wanted to be fair, you would include both the PS4 and XB1 version combined against PC (because PC has even more variations and a more massive installbase over these consoles many times over).

Even in the stats you posted, do you realize that the PS3 version, a last gen console beats PC too (individually). Now I won't even include the 360+PS3 against PC since these versions are slighty different (player count, graphics), but it would not be unfair because they too are consoles and that would only make 4 variations of consoles against how many different configs and PC's that exist. Even then, I won't, I'll only compare the versions which are generally similar to the PC in terms of graphical quality and player count. The PS4+XB1. It is what it is man, no need to oppose facts and be in denial.

I'm not calling PC gamers to abandon their preferred platform and go console or anything like that, but some of the arrogance and mis-representation of the platform is a bit much. Facts don't lie and persons who try to be disingenuous about it are doing PC gaming no favors. Just look at how quickly those Arsetto Corsa devs jumped on the opportunity to release their game on console, when the project cars guys made their announcement of success. You think those SMS guys would be as enthused if all they got was the 160k sales on PC?

Three

imagine that -right now- inside your PS4 you have already installed GRAN TURISMO 7,
and GRAN TURISMO HORIZON, and in a week Kaz himself is gonna jump onstage and show you GRAN TURISMO 8.

imagine that for a minute if it still does not make sense, write back and I will think of another example... ;)

Imagine I have Gran Turismo 6, imagine that Gran Turismo 6 came out after Forza 5. Imagine I have Driveclub installed too. Imagine that you also have next gen need for speed coming. Imagine that I also bought PCars anyway. Just imagine.

Imagine Bloodborne came out and people bought it. Imagine that less than a month later than Dark Souls 2:Sotfs came out and people still bought it.

imagine that for a minute if it still does not make sense , write back and I will think of another example... ;)

Conduit

Banned
Not bad.

A little over 2% of PS4's user base and 2% of X1's userbase. I'm surprised the PS4 crowd didn't buy it a higher rate (due to the "sim" lack).

I'm surprised the PC crowd didn't buy it a higher rate because user base is much bigger. Strange. Isn't it, shandy?

Anyway, PS4 version sold more than PC+Xbone combined. So, what's your point about "sim lack" statement?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I'm not so sure I agree with this. If you had Gran Turismo 7, Gran Truism Horizon, and you were excited for Gran Turismo 8, all within the span of 2 years, you probably really like sim racers and racing games. You probably really like sim racers such that you might buy another sim racer.

Honestly, this is way more how it works than in the other direction. It's not just with purely substitutable products like sim racers either. Bloodborne came out on PS4. A couple of weeks later, Dark souls 2 SOTFS came out and still sold more on PS4. PS4 gamers weren't substituting Bloodborne for DS2. Bloodborne has built a base for that type of game on the console. Forza 5 should have established Xbone as the racing console of choice. Similarly, if you liked racing games, why would you buy a PS4 until Driveclub came out? And if you only liked sim racers, you definitely wouldn't have bought a PS4. And yet more did.

The reality is that the PS4 sells more software around the world of almost every game. The Xbone only competes on certain titles that are right in the wheelhouse of Xbone owners or extremely North America focused like Madden. I think these two things might be the same.

I think this is far more likely to be the case than suggesting people substitute products based on nothing.

I would like to try this game but I really am not happy with what I've seen of performance, so I don't think I'll get it unless they put out a demo and I can determine if it bugs me.

_machine

I don't trust steam spy at all. I have never seen such a huge disparity between people owning a game and people actually playing them. Ask yourself some questions here, even online only games show a huge divide. Do people just buy games not to play them?
You probably should; I've heard from over 20 devs saying that the SteamSpy figures are accurate enough, and these have been games with sales ranging tens of thousands to over a million copies and with a few exceptions all have been inside the margin (and those not have been close enough), as long as you stick to games that aren't really old or had a free weekend or games that haven't been sold for many weeks. In case of pCARS I trust it to be close enough.

Now this one placed me off guard, never saw that one coming. So uhhh!....160k @ 60.00 makes more money for Beth than 500k+ at $60.00. Is that money you use on PC special, are they diamonds per chance? (60 diamonds per copy). Funny, that you even qualify it by saying, it does so by a "HUGE MARGIN"....so it's a forgone conclusion then. I'd love to hear you make that argument though, so by all means, humor me.

The actual quote was "large margin", which to be honest is true if compared to retail consoles titles. PC Steam sales can bring in double the actual revenue for the developer and that is certainly not something to be downplayed even if the sales are still multitudes away from consoles. But as you said, most titles like these would not survive without consoles and for most multiplatform games they are still the largest market.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm not calling PC gamers to abandon their preferred platform and go console or anything like that, but some of the arrogance and mis-representation of the platform is a bit much. Facts don't lie and persons who try to be disingenuous about it are doing PC gaming no favors. Just look at how quickly those Arsetto Corsa devs jumped on the opportunity to release their game on console, when the project cars guys made their announcement of success. You think those SMS guys would be as enthused if all they got was the 160k sales on PC?
1) You seem *way* overconcerned about PC's representation man. Like, unhealthily so. You continually rail against it in every way possible, twisting words and facts at every opportunity in an effort to downplay the platform.

2) Kunos(AC devs) had been working on console support for a while now. They did not just announce this on an impulse after seeing Project Cars sales.

jmga

I have. But I cannot post it because of backers NDA.

And no, I have never commented about PC sales.

Synth

It's not defensiveness (what exactly would one be defending?). It's just people disagreeing with the reasoning because it's based on nothing. When Halo came out did people buy more COD on PS3 than 360?

Call of Duty doesn't really look anything like Halo though, and doesn't look like it plays anything like Halo. Project Cars looks A LOT like Forza 5, and at a glance looks like it plays pretty much the same. It's not really a case of having multiple games in a genre (I doubt Forza Motorsport affects Need for Speed's sales much), but more about having a game that shares so much in common with another, that's almost due for a new entry as well. If when you played Halo, you were likely to play as the same character, shooting the same weapon on the same map as Call of Duty, then the comparison would be more valid.

I don't have Project Cars, simply because I have Forza. If Forza didn't exist, I'd have Project Cars.

p3tran

Banned
I'm not so sure I agree with this. If you had Gran Turismo 7, Gran Truism Horizon, and you were excited for Gran Turismo 8, all within the span of 2 years, you probably really like sim racers and racing games. You probably really like sim racers such that you might buy another sim racer.

Honestly, this is way more how it works than in the other direction. It's not just with purely substitutable products like sim racers either. Bloodborne came out on PS4. A couple of weeks later, Dark souls 2 SOTFS came out and still sold more on PS4. PS4 gamers weren't substituting Bloodborne for DS2. Bloodborne has built a base for that type of game on the console. Forza 5 should have established Xbone as the racing console of choice. Similarly, if you liked racing games, why would you buy a PS4 until Driveclub came out? And if you only liked sim racers, you definitely wouldn't have bought a PS4. And yet more did.

The reality is that the PS4 sells more software around the world of almost every game. The Xbone only competes on certain titles that are right in the wheelhouse of Xbone owners or extremely North America focused like Madden. I think these two things might be the same.

I think this is far more likely to be the case than suggesting people substitute products based on nothing.

I would like to try this game but I really am not happy with what I've seen of performance, so I don't think I'll get it unless they put out a demo and I can determine if it bugs me.

having the "air" of being the better machine and almost twice the installed base, I dont disagree about what should happen in general under these present terms.

but bloodborne and souls are more an example of forza motorsport and forza horizon, and not forza and pcars.
lets see how much will a souls clone will sell if releases now, that you already have 2x miyazaki games, with the third new souls game being shown in a week.

also, regarding pcars case, being a buggy, unoptimized mess on xbone did not help it much either.

Respawn

Banned
That and the gaming libraries of both [some may not want Project Cars due to Forza(s)]. Seems like many PS4 gamers were craving a solid sim racer as the system didn't have one before the release of Project Cars.

I'm really happy about this news as someone who loves racing games.
You try to be so subtle lol.

Purest 78

Ps4 has a big lead in EU Racing games are far more popular In EU. Wouldn't that be a logical reason for the Split?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
having the "air" of being the better machine and almost twice the installed base, I dont disagree about what should happen in general under these present terms.

but bloodborne and souls are more an example of forza motorsport and forza horizon, and not forza and pcars.
lets see how much will a souls clone will sell if releases now, that you already have 2x miyazaki games, with the third new souls game being shown in a week.

also, regarding pcars case, being a buggy, unoptimized mess on xbone did not help it much either.

Like lords of the fallen? :p

Yeah, I don't think pcars is some important barometer or whatever.

ps3ud0

The breakdown just seems a function of the install bases - I doubt theres any real evidence beyond that so just seems a conversation based on several hypotheses that no doubt have a minor affect but doubt they exist independent of each other or potentially provide an overall net effect.

Its good it sold well (surprised it sold as much so quickly), but until Ive got a wheel PCars isnt a purchase for me. Playing a decent sim without one just seems to defeat the purpose IMO

ps3ud0 8)

p3tran

Banned
Like lords of the fallen? :p

Yeah, I don't think pcars is some important barometer or whatever.

kind of, but lords of the fallen released back in 2014 when NO bloodborne and NO souls game was available on the console, and remained alone for what? 4-5 months?

to make it closer to this case example, lets say "lords of the fallen 2" is announced/released now, with two miyazaki games out and a third coming hot on the heels.

;)

Forza was a reason I didn't buy Project Cars, but I think poor performance and controller implementation were the bigger reasons.

How is performance on the XB1 now? Is 60 fps possible with the right settings.

Momentary

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised to see pCARS on this year's SUMMER SALE. Plenty of people have this on their wishlist just waiting for a good discount.

Sure there will be people saying that those sales don't count after it spikes up to 500,000-700,000 on Steam, but fuck'em.

LilJoka

This is what pretendracecars posted on their site sourced from the WMD forums.

untitled-22.jpg

p3tran

Banned
Forza was a reason I didn't buy Project Cars, but I think poor performance and controller implementation were the bigger reasons.

How is performance on the XB1 now? Is 60 fps possible with the right settings.

I preloaded PCARS on xbone, and after two week I simply gave up.
I dont think this game will ever be de-bugged to perfection, let alone have a perfect performance (on xbox).

I will get on pc after e3, when racing games are declared and pcars starts selling in discount. I suggest you do that too.

LilJoka

And this is over the course of how many months to meet those sales expectations?

Outdated spreadsheet, no surprise coming from pretendracecars.

Relax, its from many months ago. Its still something to go on...

Their unit sales were in the ball park, and there is no more info, only a WMD member would be able to give some more info on the background of the generation of this spreadsheet.

cgcg

A game that came out over a year ago is affecting xbone version sales that much? Not looking good for any sequel.

Dilly

Banned
Relax, its from many months ago. Its still something to go on...

Their unit sales were in the ball park, and there is no more info, only a WMD member would be able to give some more info on the background of the generation of this spreadsheet.

I am a WMD member.

Bgamer90

Banned
What you are suggesting is simply not logical. The genre is as popular as fighting games or did you miss the fact that GT is the best selling game on PS3 outside of COD and GTA? Why exactly do you think it's a special genre?

As I said in one of my previous post, I live in America and sim racing here isn't as popular as it used to be during the PS2 days at all.

It also makes no sense because the popularity of the genre would have no effect on those not buying Pcars in favour of Forza, they simply would not buy any of them if the genre is the reason they are not buying it. Forza should help the genre on the system not make it even less popular.

I believe you are missing my point. I never said Forza made the genre less popular. I simply said the genre overall isn't as popular as other genres and that it plays a role in people not seeing the need in buying multiple games that are a part of that genre.

So what about fighting games? The PS4 has more fighters than the xb1 yet MKX sold disproportionately more on PS4 too, surely this reasoning would work in reverse too.

I'm really not sure why some of you guys keep on making this argument as if I never agreed that the PS4's larger userbase is playing a role. I agreed to that fact in my very first post here.

In terms of Mortal Kombat, I'm sure that the sales of the game on the PS4 would have been even higher if the PS4 didn't already have fighting games in its library. If a genre isn't being represented on a console due to that console still being young/new then the first game for that console that's part of that genre is going to get some attention because of that fact alone; I feel that it was true in the case of Project Cars for the PS4. If you agree with this then I don't see how you could disagree with someone saying that it played a role in the split between both consoles (though not the main role, which by the way was never what I said).

I feel the split was caused by these reasons:

1. PS4 having a larger userbase (obviously).

2. PS4 doing MUCH better than XB1 in Europe; territory where sim racers are still popular.

3. PS4 not having a racing game like Project Cars in its library before the game released; thus causing PS4 gamers to give even more attention to the game (my point, though a point I never stated as being the main reason).

Synth

The sequel is going to do poorly because forza 5 already exists. :(

I don't get what you're trying to accomplish with this?

I'm only a single person, but this is how it goes in my case. I bought Forza 5 at launch with my Xbox One. There was no alternative for a similar type of game this generation and so any of its failings weren't of the same importance as they may have been if it actually had any competition. Today I've completed 99% of the game's content (got one championship left unfinished). Project Cars comes out, and I consider getting it, but decide against it because I hear that it has performance issues and image quality issues which simply don't exist in the rather similar racer I already have. This decision is made even easier by the fact that I know Forza 6 is on the way, will be shown in slightly over a week, and is almost certainly not going to have the same problems. So I don't buy Project Cars, and just wait for Forza 6. So -1 Project Cars sale, but strangely enough, not -1 Forza 6 sale.

EDIT:

Japanese Xbox.com said:
Breathtaking graphics at 1080px resolution and 50 frames per second.

Then again...

Top Bottom