• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arklite

That is some mile high bullshit, get real over there. These walled off gardens keep coming up with more layers of garbage.

I remember listening to Sony reps post E3 trumpet that Sony will not put services like Netflix, for instance, behind a paywall; you won't need to pay to access content you already own or have paid for.

Xater

MP3 support better gets patched in down the line. Sony needs to understand that no one wants to use their music service.

Goldmund

If you think people are suckers for listening to mp3s, you should go and find out what bit rate Music Unlimited uses. Hint: there's cutting irony to the second part of the name.

Rhindle

Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.
Absolutely ridiculous. What kind of bullshit is this?

Tratorn

Everyone spam @yosp. Really, they can't be serious.
The PS3 is a better media center than its successor. That f'ing sucks, really.

Froli

Are users able to record, distribute or stream any gameplay video?
No. Users may not be able to record certain areas within the game. Developers can select the area of restriction, and what will be restricted will depend on game titles. In these cases, recording will be temporarily suspended during the scene.

Wth is this crap. And no mp3!

IvorB

You would have thought Sony corp would have learnt their lesson about trying to force music format preferences on people.

No MP3 playback is f**king LAME.

And here was I actually hoping for Spotify support. Luckily I phased my game console out of my living room music solution a while ago.

Hyunickel

Neo Member
I've been using my PS3 as a media hub for so long! No DLNA, no external hardrive support, no MP3 running in the background. Sigh. Man this sucks :/

Sony does if they want the sales, and their best selling point is still "Holy shit, did Microsoft really just do that?" Microsoft has given me dozens of reasons to decide that I'm never buying an Xbox One, Sony still hasn't really stepped up and given me that many reasons why I should buy a PS4 unless I absolutely must have a new console.

there's been four major playstation conferences this year. if you didn't like the things they presented then don't buy it and quit whining.

Weak. Background music and/or custom soundtracks completely saves the racing genre (IMO). Those soundtracks are fucking awful, and it's great having the game/music be part of the same music stream. I don't know about your setups, but I can't stream the game's audio and my music audio through the same speakers. I would have to play my PC (behind me) and the game (speakers hooked up to receiver).

Plus, custom soundtracks while screwing around in open world games is great. I used it quite a lot on the 360 and the OG Xbox.

there's been four major playstation conferences this year. if you didn't like the things they presented then don't buy it and quit whining.

I'll whine all the fuck I want, thanks.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't understand. How can you not have the same basic features of your previous console on your next gen console?

Vorg

Banned
No DLNA is just unbelievable these days. Especially coming from the PS3. So is the new slogan for the ps4 "It only does nothing but play games"?

Straight from the PS4 FAQ posted on blog.us.playstation.com

"Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?
The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers."

FUCKING BULLSHIT!!! someone(s) w/ twitter seriously need to blow up yosp's account.
thisaggression_zpsfc6f2509.gif

kinggroin

Banned
No DLNA is the biggest offender. I know a lot of people here like to use the PlayStation 3 as a media streamer. Oh well, time for them to invest in a cheap wireless Blu ray player.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Go spam yosp or whatever. Someone make Sony realize this is like the antithesis of PS4NODRM and they actually dont want that.

Again, this is vogelkacke.

Slair

This is horseshit, i was hoping i could stream music while playing multi and at the very least put some mp3 on there and do it that way.

UNCMark

Banned
Sony was much better off when they were quiet and just let Microsoft do the talking. Now the bullshit comes out. Couldn't hide it forever.

ymmv

Banned
No CD, no SACD, no MP3, no DLNA ... The PS4 is going to be the most powerful games console, but it's turning out to become a very weak multi media machine. I'd expect it to improve on the PS3 (MKV/FLAC support) instead of losing features. Sony wants/expects all PS4 owners to listen to music/watch movies through streaming services instead of using their own media files? I hope it will play at least DVDs and Blu-Rays?

Bedlam

Did anyone actually use this feature on their PS3 / 360? I sure didn't. I've got way too many other music players to worry about putting music on my console.
All the time, seriously. I have my mp3 player always with me and when I'm home, I will often just plug it into my 360 or PS3.

DBT85

I would hope that with the twitter outrage that's already started, and this thread which I'm sure Adam Boyes will see, might at least get a "it's coming".

Though honestly something like this is a launch feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom