• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

velociraptor

No DLNA is the biggest offender. I know a lot of people here like to use the PlayStation 3 as a media streamer. Oh well, time for them to invest in a cheap wireless Blu ray player.

Forgive me for my ignorance about DLNA, but why is it so good? Doesn't streaming result in horrendous picture quality? Isn't it simply a far better option to have a dedicated media player hooked up to the TV and play files directly?

This is fucking goofy. I love putting my own songs in wrasslin/nhl games, makes it a better experience. I'm not about to riot but yeah, fucking goofy. I will however be bothered if Sony doesn't allow mp4/mkv/avi/ect video playback.

Sure I love the fact that the ps4 is gaming first - it is why I'm choosing Sony over MS as my main for the first time in two gens- but hell man, losing last gen operating features isn't exactly a plus in my mind.

Afrikan

If Sony didn't have a HUGE Music division, I'm sure this issue wouldn't have happened.

but I think THIS is where Sony wants to FINALLY make up for years of lost money from *illegal music* downloads/copies. Make it of the potential of millions of PS4 owners.

I personally think they will patch this..but they were probably like... >_< lets give it a try.... lol.

EGM1966

Whelp they had to get something wrong. Given some of the stuff PS4 don't Vita does I assume this will probably come later and it does indicate that despite rosy appearances Sony might be having their own "ready to launch" SO challenges too - or else they've gone damn odd on media access and playback since PS3 and even the Vita.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
While this is stupid that its not included, I have several devices that play MP3 so I truly don't need it. It is a basic function these days though..... Background music on the other hand is stupid to put behind a paywall.

Wow.

I use my PS3 as a media center... video, audio, the works. I guess that's all out the window, now? Maybe the Xbox One is a better choice, after all.

UNCMark

Banned
Straight from the PS4 FAQ posted on blog.us.playstation.com

"Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?
The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers."

FUCKING BULLSHIT!!! someone(s) w/ twitter seriously need to blow up yosp's account.
thisaggression_zpsfc6f2509.gif

Oh god it gets worse. This bit just cost them a sale to my brother-in-law.

The recording suspension is understandable. It's to avoid spoilers and stuff like that. And it's fine really.

The MP3 stuff is bullshit though.

If you want to avoid spoilers, don't watch streams or youtube videos.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Wtf is this shit, background music with only music unlimited? Fuck that shit.

No CD, no SACD, no MP3, no DLNA ... The PS4 is going to be the most powerful games console, but it's turning out to become a very weak multi media machine. I'd expect it to improve on the PS3 (MKV/FLAC support) instead of losing features. Sony wants/expects all PS4 owners to listen to music/watch movies through streaming services instead of using their own media files? I hope it will play at least DVDs and Blu-Rays?

You get BR playback with the day one patch. I suspect they were initially against having BR playback but realized combined with no DLNA/MP3 that would be a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

This has stop me from buying a PS4 until it gets patch in .
I don't live in one of the major regions in the world so all the services mean nothing to me .

Vorg

Banned
Forgive me for my ignorance about DLNA, but why is it so good? Doesn't streaming result in horrendous picture quality? Isn't it simply a far better option to have a dedicated media player hooked up to the TV and play files directly?

No, it doesn't.

CDV13

Anytime I listen to music while playing games, usually during MP sessions, I play it through another source anyway. I am also a college student and have access to multiple speakers/amps throughout the house. They sound better than the TV so I never use this feature anyway.

This does seem pretty stupid not to include, but I always assumed this was the way people did it anyway.

Eknots

This and no DLNA is actually a deal breaker to me for now.
A big reason that the ps3 stayed hooked up was for streaming from my pc.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Features from the Vita not even making it into their big next-gen console is lame.

Honestly pretty disappointed about this. PS3 has been my goto media player for so long, learning the new shiny box has less and less use is not a good way to make me happy dropping big bones on it.

Rhindle

If this does not change fast, my PS4 is getting relegated to "use only when absolutely necessary for exclusives" status.

Now this is terrible – no music visualizer either? I have my PS3 hooked up to a nice sound system, and keep hundreds of songs on it so I can play music through my surround sound in PCM quality when I have guest over – this is something I really like about my PS3. The hell Sony?

boingball

Sony being Sony. They haven't learned from their successes with their MP3 players (which could not play MP3s...). Apple embraces canibalization, Sony opposes it (well, luckily for Sony MS does the same (Windows is their holy grail) and Nintendo as well).

Well, I am not using my PS3 to play MP3s so I most likely won't miss this feature.

UberTag

Wow.

I use my PS3 as a media center... video, audio, the works. I guess that's all out the window, now? Maybe the Xbox One is a better choice, after all.
Clearly this is the case.
If you've ever used your gaming console as a dedicated media device of any kind, Xbox One is our only choice now.

What a depressing day.

This also stood out to me:

Why? Sounds like a great idea. If you have a game, with a huge twist in story, or a surprise ending, maybe you dont allow people to capture it right after release? Its a developer decision after all. Then a few months after launch, you patch it out and people can capture it.

This example would be neat to try and preserve some type of story element.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom