• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 has AMD's TrueAudio DSP - Confirmed

KKRT00

Any info about Xbone? If their CPU is compatible with TrueAudio?
If yes than multiplatform games would have this option by default on PC and buying AMD cards would be more attractive.

Mung

So after all that talk about Xbox one's sound chip... ps4 actually dropped it's pants and revealed it was actually touching the floor all along?

tesla246

View it in 1080p and it'll blow your mind!

XS5LK.gif

USC-fan

Banned
Any info about Xbone? If their CPU is compatible with TrueAudio?
If yes than multiplatform games would have this option by default on PC and buying AMD cards would be more attractive.
shape was design in house at ms. it has nothing to do with amd.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Forgive me for I know not what I speak..but does this mean we'll be rid of super fake toilet bowel sound effects in 5.1 when we rotate the camera around in game?

Roland1979

Sony taking sound serious = Sony doing everything right this gen. Games like BF4 benefit so much from this. And with games like Killzone taking sound very serious this should have people with good hi-fi sets show what the PS4 is capable of. Unfortunately there are lots of people that spend $500 or more on a 1080p television, $500 on a consoles with some extra's but have the audio output through the milk cartons of their tv. They almost always HAVE a hi-fi set, that's the tragic part.

What does this mean in DBZ power levels

Goku just took off his weighted clothes.

So, basically nothing, but now Goku's topless, so there's that. Nothing sound-related really qualifies as a "bomba" for the same reason that SHAPE wasn't "bomba" in the first place: audio processing in modern games can almost entirely get by on ten year old crap technology, because we just really haven't kept up with audio development to the same degree we have graphics development.

I suppose it's nice for the future, though.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That was to be expected, frankly. All this secret sauce talk about SHAPE was driven by the fact that we had leaks and specific statements about that chip, but not about the solution in the PS4. Given that both APUs are from AMD, it seems straight-forward that both chips incorporate the same base technology.

Nice, so essentially it offloads the sound algorithms from the CPU, making the CPU totally dedicated to the game code (for the 6 or 7 cores afforded to game code--1 or 2 cores are dedicated to OS resources like X1).

Pretty similar to the X1 actually...the X1 also has a separate chip for the Kinect on top of this type of TrueAudio Acceleration technology.

vdo

found this interesting:

MPC: You guys are using GenAudio and McDSP. GenAudio’s says AstoundSound modeling is based on how the brain reacts to sound rather than the older model of putting microphones into head dummies to create the algorithms. GenAudio calls it HRBF. How is HRBF an improvement on Head Related Transfer Functions (HRTFs)?

AMD: [...] GenAudio’s BRTF is based on the way the brain actually interprets audio, as analyzed through EEG-fMRI and MEG data. Traditional HRTFs assume, as you implied, that your head is the same size and shape as the dummy head used to create the psychoacoustic model. But the critical failing of an HRTF is that nobody’s head is the same size or shape as the binaural dummy head, so you have to go deeper. Right into the brain. Learn how the brain itself receives and processes a 3D soundfield, and then you work back from there to create the algorithms that work on that level. The GenAudio team has done that, and I’ve not met one person who hasn’t been blown away by the quality of their methods as demonstrated in Lichdom.

http://www.maximumpc.com/everything_you_wanted_know_about_amds_new_trueaudio_technology_2013

BPoole

This is great news. I was worried the tech would end up being under utilized since it was only offered on a select few GPUs, but if the PS4 has it, more devs will be inclined to make use of it

So if I plug a regular stereo headset into my controller do I get full HRTF-processed "surround" audio? In all games?

If so, they just matched XB1 on this and I'm pumped.

I don't get what's so impressive about it? It's just a guy walking around me and talking. It was especially annoying when he was talking behind me.

(I did like when the airplane flying overhead rumbled my ears)

That's the point! it sounds like a guy is walking around you and talking. ta da!

And yes, It is VERY impressive

Crisco

Banned
Wait wait wait wait wait WAAAAAIT ...................... does this mean binaural 3D headphone surround sound for EVERY game?

SRG01

Just an engineer piping up here: Audio processing, especially high-fidelity and location-accurate sounds, takes up a lot of cycles if it is done on the CPU with a simple DAC output. Offloading the work to a dedicated DSP is not a trivial difference in performance; you basically get "free" audio with little to no CPU overhead.

vdo

So if I plug a regular stereo headset into my controller do I get full HRTF-processed "surround" audio? In all games?

If so, they just matched XB1 on this and I'm pumped.

They are actually giving you an improvement to HRTF (they call it HRBF - see my post above).

Top Bottom