• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 has AMD's TrueAudio DSP - Confirmed

Chobel

Seriously, we're in page 4 and no one called out Richard Leadbetter for this:
The Xbox One has dedicated audio processing hardware that is not present in PS4 or PC

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crytek-the-next-generation

And this
Audio-wise, Microsoft's hardware is also impressive, with DSP effects, mixing and other features effectively available for "free" to developers, where PS4's set-up only decodes compressed audio formats

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-one-cpu-speed-increased-in-production-hardware

imt558

Banned
Yeah, I surely didn't see that coming. I too, believed that Xbox One had better audio than on PS4 while Sony or anyone else has yet to mention on what kind of audio that the PS4 has...until today. This is definitely good news, regardless.

So, XO is beaten on audio field. I think MisterXMedia will hang.

Why should anybody call him out? TrueAudio might not be the same as whatever Microsoft is using, and neither system goes as far as what Nintendo uses. There are many different DSPs and implementations.

But the problem is that XO's SHAPE can't produce audio like example from GenAudio.

Chobel

Why should anybody call him out? TrueAudio might not be the same as whatever Microsoft is using, and neither system goes as far as what Nintendo uses. There are many different DSPs and implementations.

I don't care about the implementation, read the quote "The Xbox One has dedicated audio processing hardware that is not present in PS4 or PC". He's saying that PS4 doesn't have dedicated audio processing hardware.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I don't care about the implementation, read the quote "The Xbox One has dedicated audio processing hardware that is not present in PS4 or PC". He's saying that PS4 doesn't have dedicated audio processing hardware.

Actually that can still be correct. As in it has a different hardware chip that is indeed not resent elsewhere.

But
...where PS4's set-up only decodes compressed audio formats
is not in the same boat.

wsippel

Banned
It's vague. You can also read it as "Xbone has dedicated audio processing [capabilities] the PS4 doesn't have". And that's it. That doesn't necessarily mean PS4 has no audio DSP.

sono

Gold Member
I know the PS3 audio capabilities were/are very impressive for the time.

How does this compare to PS3 audio ?

Also I recall people advising the xbox one has very good audio chip - does it compare to that ?

Skeff

Well, I gave up calling out leadbetters bullshit after the balance talk, everyone should just know there are inaccuracies and (perhaps unintentional) biases in all of his comparison articles since the reveals.

imt558

Banned
Can TrueAudio? I mean: 100% on the DSP, no CPU intervention? And does it actually matter?

According to anadtech article ( and the youtube video ), YES! Or did you watch AMD conference when GenAudio show up on the stage. It's matter. You don't need a 7.1 or 5.1 home theater for awesome sound. Just a cheap headset.

vcc

Unlikely, the diagrams show it to be set up like a very ordinary sound chip. It might be a very good one but it's not leveraging some of the APU features AMD is pushing.

The hUMA and sound capabilities on the GPU means it can theoretically leverage data in memory to do neat things with sound for essentially free. The XB1 would have to use the CPU to package a digest of that data and send it to the sound processor and control the output. So the silly notion that the XB1 SHAPE chip would unload work from the CPU actually applies to the PS4 and the GPGPU they've been pushing.

The question if anyone will notice is a open one. Good enough sound has been good enough. Great sound may be hard to notice unless they make it a gameplay feature. Like an action scene where you use sound to target things in the dark.

PS. TLOU2, shoot clickers in the dark. Sounds plausible.

Unlikely, the diagrams show it to be set up like a very ordinary sound chip. It might be a very good one but it's not leveraging some of the APU features AMD is pushing.

The hUMA and sound capabilities on the GPU means it can theoretically leverage data in memory to do neat things with sound for essentially free. The XB1 would have to use the CPU to package a digest of that data and send it to the sound processor and control the output. So the silly notion that the XB1 SHAPE chip would unload work from the CPU actually applies to the PS4 and the GPGPU they've been pushing.

The question if anyone will notice is a open one. Good enough sound has been good enough. Great sound may be hard to notice unless they make it a gameplay feature. Like an action scene where you use sound to target things in the dark.

It's not silly at all, they never said it would absolve the CPU from all sound duty, but it would from mixing and reverb which is what takes up majority of CPU cycles in terms of audio. That's still nothing to scuff at.

Dahaka

I know the PS3 audio capabilities were/are very impressive for the time.

How does this compare to PS3 audio ?

In what way? GG used SPEs for wavetracing, occlusion and material filters in Killzone for instance. The most mentioned advantage of the PS3 is sending game audio unaltered to your receiver if you select PCM compared to Xbox 360 doing multichannel audio over Dolby Digital only which leads to compression of already mediocre sound samples. Sometimes PS3 versions of multiplats had less compressed audio by default like BLUR for instance.

In any non-specialized case audio could eat up a lot of CPU power. There are a few notable quotes by X360 devs about a few games eating up to a SINGLE cpu core. With these specialized DSPs this will be a thing of the past fortunately but not only in terms of freeing the CPU but also in additional complex rendering methos/algorithms on top that used to be a thing many years ago and led to much better immersion compared to what we mostly got in the last 6-7 years. Such a shame, but well, looks like this will have an end soon.

It's the most welcome potential to me.

vcc

It's not silly at all, they never said it would absolve the CPU from all sound duty, but it would from mixing and reverb which is what takes up majority of CPU cycles in terms of audio. That's still nothing to scuff at.

The context of the idea was that it could offload work from the CPU so the CPU could help out the under powered GPU. It's silly because it's probably not going to make much of a difference. Even if you dedicate the entire floating point number crunching power of the CPU to GPU tasks you're still going to come up short.

It'd be interesting to see a post mortem from a multi-platform dev and see what the real difference is. The NDA's will probably prevent that for a while.

Dahaka

According to anadtech article ( and the youtube video ), YES! Or did you watch AMD conference when GenAudio show up on the stage. It's matter. You don't need a 7.1 or 5.1 home theater for awesome sound. Just a cheap headset.

Binaural audio can be eperienced very easily with cheap headsets, that is for sure. The effect is quite noticable compared to a "normal" stereo recording with room information.

It doesn't mean though that this is all you need and there's no scalability. Better headphones will lead to better immersion. Deeper extension in the bass department with better control will lead to better experience of subbass atmosphere, explosions etc. You can go on and on with better treble detail/extension, less resonance in the housing, especially better imaging/soundstage etc.....

In any case, precise binaural audio or a real 3D soundfield will make gaming audio much more immersive and accessable. A well-treated room with good speakers is not what the majority has. Most people play with plastic screaming boxes and place them very weirdly. Headphones ignore the room and make immersion easier but the sacrifice is physical impact of the sound, especially with bass. Soundstage is debatable. Any good headphone with a cohesive soundstage + binaural audio will deliver heaps of immersion.

Is that demo specifically using TrueAudio? Is this DSP providing binaural audio through the controller?

I'm absolutely in the dark here as far as audio engineering goes lol, it's all scribbles to me. Someone give me the cliff notes. I understand that it's offloading resources and what-not, but what does all of this mean for the quality of audio?

Jburton

Banned
Those articles are from before this information got out.
Edit:
Do we even have an list of in silicon implemented algorithms for both audio processors?

So he assumed based on incomplete details but spoke with the authority of someone who was had the full details in front of him.

Amateur.

Why didn't they speak up about this earlier? Talk about dropping the ball.

"Sony...Sony,too!™"

Despite having what is clearly the superior hardware, Sony had actually not talked up much about their hardware at all. A lot of it is paraphrased and quoted from generic interviews, but no real deep-dive from Sony themselves.

Compared to MS who continue to talk the specs sheet where it matters to them.

Honestly, this is where I find things refreshing. Different companies do things differently. There's no need nor reason for MS to react to every damn thing MS does, or vice-versa, at least in terms of the way they're talking about their product.

It's annoying to see stuff like:

- MS demos UI
- Now SONY MUST DO IT TOO.
- Sony doesn't do anything. ( until today )
- SONY MUST BE HIDING SOMETHING.

Turns out they have not hidden anything, they simply chose not to reveal it earlier.

satam55

Banned
Ummm:

untitledgxuea.png

You can now watch the SCEA presentation "Designing a game audio engine for HSA" on demand on the APU13 conference website. They talk about the ACP...it's an hour long.

A quick, free registration is required at: https://vts.inxpo.com/scripts/Server.nxp?LASCmd=AI:4;F:QS!10100&ShowKey=16356&Referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fvts.inxpo.com%2Fscripts%2FServer.nxp%3FLASCmd%3DL%3A0%26AI%3D1%26InitialDisplay%3D1%26ClientBrowser%3D0%26ShowKey%3D16356

After you login, just do a search for: "Audio Engine for HSA". It should be labeled as "BREAKOUT: MM-4085 Designing a game audio engine for HSA"

Just tweet at DF if it bothers you that they're not highlighting this new revelation. It's only happened yesterday, give Leadbetter time to recover from his shock that PS4 had another tech megaton.

I already did it, asking if DF is going to clarify more details on the PS4 tech in light of the new revelation.

kuroshiki

but you seem to fuck around with mp3's, shame on you.

lossless4lyfe

I will give you a dollar if you can tell which one is the original and which one is compressed audio (192kbps).

My bet is out of 100 trys, you will get 50 right, 50 wrong. In other word, you can't.

But that doesn't mean you can't pursue your passion for sound quality perfection, of course.

Isn't this claim technically correct, since True Audio appears to be gpgpu (hsa'd to work with the cpu) accelerated, and not a dedicated audio chip?

Edit: I'm wrong (and dumb), True Audio does have some DSPs chips XD

Ummm:

untitledgxuea.png

You can now watch the SCEA presentation "Designing a game audio engine for HSA" on demand on the APU13 conference website. They talk about the ACP...it's an hour long.

A quick, free registration is required at: https://vts.inxpo.com/scripts/Server.nxp?LASCmd=AI:4;F:QS!10100&ShowKey=16356&Referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fvts.inxpo.com%2Fscripts%2FServer.nxp%3FLASCmd%3DL%3A0%26AI%3D1%26InitialDisplay%3D1%26ClientBrowser%3D0%26ShowKey%3D16356

After you login, just do a search for: "Audio Engine for HSA". It should be labeled as "BREAKOUT: MM-4085 Designing a game audio engine for HSA"

There's no mention of anything True Audio related. In fact he says all (?) the audio for KZSF runs on 50% of 1 CPU core. Also claims Jaguar is only 10% slower than an i7 at the same clock speed. It's basically a discussion of the pros and cons of doing audio on the CPU vs GPU vs DSP. The PS4 may have some True Audio tech, but I get the feeling it may not be as fully featured as AMD's RX cards. That, or the ACP is completely separate from the True Audio stuff and the True Audio hasn't been exposed to developers yet.

in that youtube demo, that guy tearing the paper next to my ear was unnerving..

it sounded like there was really someone to my left and right tearing a piece of paper.

PG2G

The PS4 may have some True Audio tech, but I get the feeling it may not be as fully featured as AMD's RX cards. That, or the ACP is completely separate from the True Audio stuff and the True Audio hasn't been exposed to developers yet.

That Is what I'm thinking as well.

vcc

I will give you a dollar if you can tell which one is the original and which one is compressed audio (192kbps).

My bet is out of 100 trys, you will get 50 right, 50 wrong. In other word, you can't.

But that doesn't mean you can't pursue your passion for sound quality perfection, of course.

I'll take that bet, let me load up my trusty Spectrum Analyzer....

Top Bottom