• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Boost Test Video Compilation Thread

holy-sht.gif

why isn't this marketed?

I was wondering the same thing. I figured it is better quietly test things like this than promise the stars and deliver something less than the advertised or problematic.

This feels kinda dumb but does boost affect KH2.8? I swear to god after I turned it on Dream drop feels smoother, but maybe i'm just crazy here.

prwxv3

Seeing the many threads here on neogaf and other forums i say it's working out well.

Keep in mind while games from start to finish have not been tested yet. Games might be fine until it it breaks later at certain points. Though so far starting tests are good.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Buy a pro for future games is a much better idea.

Already bought a Pro for the future games but this is just making my purchase that much more valid.

the game is a lot more stable, no tearing

I've put 30~ hours in Yakuza 0 so far, yes sometimes if you swing the camera around, you can see a prominent tear line across the screen, but the game doesn't drop frames, at least in my experience, it's already a very good 60 FPS. If it eliminates the only visual blemish the game has, that's awesome but if anyone is holding back on playing the game just for this firmware, I'd suggest y'all start.

The game is *huge*, you'll probably still be playing it when the firmware arrives.'

Also, obligatory.

holy-sht.gif

SpokkX

So yeah bloodborne performs better

Framerate is not a real issue but it is smoother now

Frame pacing is drastically reduced as far as i can tell. Bloodborne had worse frame pacing problems in certain more demanding areas such as old yarnham. Now the pacing problems seem overall less severe (barely notice while running through areas, while before it stuttered very obviously when running through areas) and more or less the same regardless of area

So framepacing is not fixed, it is not as bad as far as i can tell

Would be nice if DF did a real test though

Batman: Return to Arkham had already FPS increase on PS4 PRO. I wonder how it runs now after the update. Maybe NXGamer or someone who has the game can tell us.

Is there an easy way to count FPS on PS4?

Mikey Jr.

Someone should try the disaster batman choose your own adventure game.

Didn't that thing run at like 5fps 720p?

Gaminar

Banned
Tried Psychonauts.

Load times are cut in half. But unfortunately the game performs worse... it skips frames while turning the camera :/.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Yes, disc version is uncapped on PS4, boost could do wonders...:-/
Not really. No chance it would be anywhere near 60fps, so a 30fps cap is preferable.

Very interested to try Unity myself. I actually quite enjoyed that game, but I just couldn't with the performance. It had many other problems, of course, but that was the straw that broke it for me.

Just a curious question. What about games that already got PS4 Support from the devs ? Does this update help to get better and smoother FPS for them?
Did anyone test a supported PS4 PRO game after this update?

Tagg9

Pro support is mandatory for games released after the Pro was.

No, it isn't. Sony has never said this officially. The only place it says this was in the leaked early version of the documentation for developers. In fact, they've specifically only said that all "first-party" games will have Pro support going forward.

Several retail games that were released in the last couple months (and the vast majority of indies) do not have Pro support. Most of these are Japanese titles that originally came out before the Pro, but if it was indeed "mandated", then it would have had to be added to the game before it released in the west.

Someone should try the disaster batman choose your own adventure game.

Didn't that thing run at like 5fps 720p?

Tried it, too hard to tell, sometimes it feels like it runs better, but it still runs like shit at times. The way that game jumps up and down in the framerate department is too hard to get a real gauge with the naked eye.

So many placebo effects....

How can someone say Star Wars Battlefront has better framerate if the original game never dropped from 60 fps?

99.9% of the games, except for Rainbow six Siege has no FPS counter, and unless you are reporting 30 fps on a game that runs at 15 fps on the original (like Evil Within or Assassin's Creed Unity) you are possibly saying something with a huge margin of error.

Let's not get cooky here. Some improvements are visible, yes they are. Most of them are going to perform better, yes they will otherwise they wouldn't allow us to turn this option on. But let's wait for further TECHNICAL analysis, not just some new judgment from old memories by playing them 5 minutes

thelastword

Banned
So many placebo effects....

How can someone say Star Wars Battlefront has better framerate if the original game never dropped from 60 fps?

99.9% of the games, except for Rainbow six Siege has no FPS counter, and unless you are reporting 30 fps on a game that runs at 15 fps on the original (like Evil Within or Assassin's Creed Unity) you are possibly saying something with a huge margin of error.

Let's not get cooky here. Some improvements are visible, yes they are. Most of them are going to perform better, yes they will otherwise they wouldn't allow us to turn this option on. But let's wait for further TECHNICAL analysis, not just some new judgment from old memories by playing them 5 minutes
Which version of Battlefront did you play, Battlefront was not a locked 60fps....

DayEnder

Anybody tried Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls?

I have both (disc version), but didn't get into the beta firmware otherwise I'd do it.

Heavy Rain had some dips.

Griss

So you're telling me it's time to buy Just Cause 3?

I have a request, actually... does anyone with the Boost Mode beta have 'The Golf Club'? That was a Unity game with performance so bad it was essentially unplayable. Both massive framerate issue and awful screen tearing. Other than that it's a great game, so if Boost Mode fixes it it would be a massive deal.

Top Bottom