• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro fan can be cleaned without voiding the varranty!

Arkeband

Banned
ok, have to admit, this is pretty cool for us OCD tech freaks.

I Imagine that it may make it easier for fan upgrades as well?

*edit*
This also clears the way for some 3rd party top covers?

The side with the fan seems to disappear after he takes out the power supply, and he doesn't revisit it, so maybe?

tusken77

Very nice. Smart design.

osmrzUi.gif

JP

Engineer in the video was doing a full teardown, that's why he first voided the warranty.

Top cover can be remove easily by anyone.

My point still stands. You are too focused on things you saw early in that video. Warranty is voided when back screw stickers are removed. Taking off the top cover does not involve touching them.

Edit- I've added another quote from iFixit in the OP from their PS4 Pro teardown:
"While you can't remove the fan, you could certainly clean it from here—maybe that's why we're granted this non-warranty-voiding access zone."
Removing ga sticker that says "removing this sticker voids your warranty" in no way voids your warranty, those stickers have no legal bearing at all. In terms of a legally binding warranty, what happens on the PS4 Pro is no different to any other consumer goods.

To emphasise what I've already said, yes this does appear to simplify the job of cleaning your fan in comparison to the standard PS4 but the claim of this thread is that it's somehow different in terms of your warranty and that just isn't accurate.

Arkeband

Banned
Removing ga sticker that says "removing this sticker voids your warranty" in no way voids your warranty, those stickers have no legal bearing at all. In terms of a legally binding warranty, what happens on the PS4 Pro is no different to any other consumer goods.

To emphasise what I've already said, yes this does appear to simplify the job of cleaning your fan in comparison to the standard PS4 but the claim of this thread is that it's somehow different in terms of your warranty and that just isn't accurate.

While you are correct, these stickers are bullshit, you would have to fight them in court, and they will outspend you, so for all intent and purposes, they do void the warranty.

JP

While you are correct, these stickers are bullshit, you would have to fight them in court, and they will outspend you, so for all intent and purposes, they do void the warranty.
No, for all intents and purposes what you're stating isn't what the OP states. Your warranty is not affected by the number of screws you've removed to clean a fan, you can clean the fan on any model of PS4 without voiding the warranty but on this version, it's easier to do so. Which is a good thing.

What you're talking about is purely about consumers and their misunderstanding of their rights in situations such as this. If that was what the OP claimed then that would be fantastic but what is being claimed is remarkably simple and that is, to quote, "PS4 Pro fan can be cleaned without voiding the varranty! Reply to Thread" which positions it as if as if it's something other than the norm.

The issue I have with the original claim is that it's very misleading and in enforces consumer belief that the removing screws voids their warranty.

Arkeband

Banned
No, for all intents and purposes what you're stating isn't what the OP states. Your warranty is not affected by the number of screws you've removed to clean a fan, you can clean the fan on any model of PS4 without voiding the warranty but on this version, it's easier to do so. Which is a good thing.

What you're talking about is purely about consumers and their misunderstanding of their rights in situations such as this. If that was what the OP claimed then that would be fantastic but what is being claimed is remarkably simple and that is, to quote, "PS4 Pro fan can be cleaned without voiding the varranty! Reply to Thread" which positions it as if as if it's something other than the norm.

The issue I have with the original claim is that it's very misleading and in enforces consumer belief that the removing screws voids their warranty.

So then the title should read "PS4 Pro fan can be cleaned without Sony claiming you've voided the warranty (even though you didn't)!"

Macrotus

This is a huge plus.
Subbed for when/if I buy a pro.

Dust building up in the fan was always a problem from PS2 and beyond.
If Sony is considering to release PS5, I hope they go the same path. (letting gamers clean their fans without voiding warranty)

JP

So then the title should read "PS4 Pro fan can be cleaned without Sony claiming you've voided the warranty (even though you didn't)!"
I'm not sure why you'd think this would prevent them claiming that? I would assume that for many companies that the initial response for a warranty claim would be along the lines of "go away".

At least in the UK and depending on the time frame involved, it's the responsibility of the retailer to prove that the issue wasn't there when you received the goods. If they can't do that then it's assumed that the fault was there on delivery even if it wasn't apparent to you at the time.

If an accurate heading is what you're looking for then maybe something along the lines of.. "It's easier to clean the PS4 Pro fan than it has been in other PS4 models". Or, just anything that doesn't misinform people about what they can do with their hardware.

shandy706

Very NICE!

I hope MS thinks about this with Scorpio. I'm not a fan of voiding warranties, but I am a fan of blowing the dust out of my systems.

Traxtech

The second custom tops come out, Im grabbing one, cutting a big ass hole in it and putting a dust filter over the top with some mesh to make it look sexy

Bl@de

Good news. But dust was never a problem with the original PS4 in my opinion. I opened it up after 6 months and there was no dust at all. Opened it up a couple of times after that and it was always the same.

molnizzle

Does this also mean we might also see custom PS4 Pro tops for sale?

I'd want one with a dust filter cutout over the fan to increase airflow and hopefully cut down on noise. Could hack it up myself but I'd rather have something more professional.

Does cleaning the externally accessible parts of a fan actually do much to combat noise? I'm not convinced this is going to do much for noisy older consoles.

Juanfp

This is great. All electronic devices that uses fans should have a way to clean it without a lot of disassembly.

modsbox

Folks who are knowledgeable about cooling setups, I'm curious-- if someone made an aftermarket replacement top that had holes or grilles in it, how much would it help with cooling?

Would it make the most sense to place a circular grille directly above where the fan is? Or would something else make more sense?

To me this revelation just strikes me that there has to be a way to make a replacement top shell with holes/grilles to provide more airflow, but if the design is to pull it horizontally across the top perhaps it doesn't help that much?

I mean the PSU is huge, not the console. I have both too. It looks like it could have lost about a third of the size with an external power brick (which also would have helped with heat management).

Yeah, the console is the same size. I have a clearance under my TV where I kept my PS4, and that clearance was very close. PS4 Pro is the same clearance.

eXMomoj

This is brilliant!

I've always opened up my consoles after the warranties expire to do a thorough cleaning and you'd be surprised just how much dust can get in there after a year or two. Compressed air does nothing but blow dust back into the internals.

Top Bottom