• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro fan can be cleaned without voiding the varranty!

RedAssedApe

Banned
i hope its not like the ds4. unsnapping that thing is a bitch and almost always results in me breaking some of the plastic tabs the first time lol (albeit it doesn't really affect putting it back together)

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Does this also mean we might also see custom PS4 Pro tops for sale?

giphy.gif

Any reason not to leave the cover off, if we don't care what it looks like? Seems like it would help with overall airflow and cooling.

It won't. Cooling requires air pressure to build and forces it to flow over critical components. Removing the cover while running will compromise how the airflow. I would only open it when it's off.

kriskrosbbk

Thats cool. But I believe a total cleaning cannot be performed if you remove only the top cover.
I opened few times my OG and honestly the heat sink can become really dusty as well.So for me to perform a good cleaning you need to remove the power supply on PRO.Once done the heat sink can be cleaned properly.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Would this allow for the creation of weird aftermarket fan solutions? As in, yank off the old fan and stick a Cooler Master Hyper TX on there.

Zalusithix

Custom PS4 Pro cover with mesh over the fan area.

This sort of thing isn't always a good idea. The fan is doing more than cooling the APU/PSU. It's pulling air in from around the PS4 and cooling other components. By changing the nature of the air flow you can create hot pockets of stagnant air within the system that were otherwise properly cooled.

MrBenchmark

They could and I stress "could" deny service if they see marks from opening the system. I would be extremely cautious about this and also not go blowing this thing out with air compressor like I've seen posted.

Hate to see anyone ruin a 399 console just because you can open it.

Top Bottom